Former Cal player sighted working at Lair of the Golden Bear

6,836 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big C
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got back from Camp Gold at the Lair. They have a new position of Assistant Manager of all the camps (Gold, Blue and Oski): Remember Taylor Harrison?

I wanna say Taylor came in with Ryan Anderson, Jerome Randle and Patrick Christopher. He was a rough and tumble 6-9/6-10 inside player. Unfortunately, he only played one full year and then had one or more knee injuries and never came back. I think he finally got a medical waiver.

The thing I really remember about him was he used to get opponents all riled up with his physicality. Part of that was he was a little rough around the edges, but I loved the way he mixed it up in there. Geez, if he had stayed healthy and Ryan Anderson had just stayed longer, we really could have had a fine team with Monty. Alas...

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to chat with Taylor, as he was floating between the three camps. Too bad, because the Camp Gold manager said he loves to chat about his playing days at Cal. LOL, I replied that I could bore him with Cal Basketball stories long before he could bore me. (Maybe he heard that and started avoiding me?)
75bear
Oh - funny. I saw him at the beginning of summer at Camp Gold but didn't realize his background. He told everyone his exact height during the opening night skit, most likely so he could avoid the inevitable weeklong questions of, "How tall are you?!?" I'm sure that gets old!
Dave75
Wasn't there a game when Harrison got under the skin of Bob Huggins during Huggins' single year at Kansas State? I don't recall the result, but perhaps Huggins got a technical or worse? With better knees, Harrison have been Jorge before Jorge.
Big C
Dave75 said:

Wasn't there a game when Harrison got under the skin of Bob Huggins during Huggins' single year at Kansas State? I don't recall the result, but perhaps Huggins got a technical or worse? With better knees, Harrison have been Jorge before Jorge.
I remember a game -- in my mind, it was a big game like Furd or UCLA or Arizona -- where Harrison had pretty much the entire opposing team mad at him. I distinctly remember being very pleased with him at the time.
bearister
He was a very physical player. I loved him.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
south bender
Dave75 said:

Jorge was immensely more talented and was not a dirty player.
UrsaMajor
south bender said:

Dave75 said:

Jorge was immensely more talented and was not a dirty player.
Agree on both, although the rest of the P-12 would probably disagree on the 2nd.
taylordeanharrison
Hey all you bear insider folks. Yep, it was me. Ran into this post trying to locate an article about my other life as an artist, and I thought it'd be fun to chime in. I will be back at the Lair again for the 2019 summer. Feel free to say hey and ask all the "boring" questions you can muster if you see me in the forest. I play in the 'staff versus camper' basketball games here and there too. The Lair is a fun way to take a little time living in the forest with all the Cal folks. These days, I make large scale sculpture and installations for a living. If you're interested in checking it out, I have a bunch of work on Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/taylordeanharrison
Big C
Hey Taylor, I hope to catch you this summer. I will be at the Lair with my two little kids, Week Two, Gold. I have 40 years of boring Cal Basketball stories, so if you want to hide out at Camps Blue and Oski that week, I will totally understand.

Anybody else going to the Lair this summer? (In June, I usually post something on the Growls board, to see if anyone will be there the same week as us.)
concordtom
Ha, okay Taylor, I've got a question for you:

How tall are you, bare feet and in the morning?
What was your listed height?

Just kidding...
Not really.

I look forward to seeing your sculptures. I live near Auburn now and there are a bunch of huge ones in town.
Big C
67.4% of all Cal Basketball players are (without shoes) 1 3/4 inches shorter than their listed height. Kam Rooks was every bit of what he was listed... and it doesn't even matter what that was.

Somebody once said, "Of course they list their height with shoes on: They play with shoes on!" But that's a crock. Your real height is how tall you are w/o shoes.
taylordeanharrison
6'10" and listed at 6'10". The amount of people in elevators who tell me I'm lying astounds me, ha...
GMP
taylordeanharrison said:

6'10" and listed at 6'10". The amount of people in elevators who tell me I'm lying astounds me, ha...
Ha. Hope to see you this summer, Taylor. We played a little Money in the Bank last year.
Big C
Well, my kids and I are headed to the Lair this Saturday (that's Week Two - Gold). Hope to see Taylor Harrison up there. I started a Lair thread on the Growls board yesterday, if anybody's going up this summer and wants to post on it.

Go Bears!
Big C
Taylor, you need to hang out at Camp Gold more! I saw you a couple of times in the dining hall, earlier in the week, but multiple people already had your attention, so I didn't want to crowd you.

Go Bears!
MilleniaBear
Well its off to 6th Week Camp Blue. Wish Mike White was still there - he was a heck of a camp manager. Go Bears!
helltopay1
Dear Ursa: The iconic mural at GW is about to be torn down . i hope you object in the strongest possible terms. There is a book available in your local library: It is called thge 'suicide of the west." required reading for everybody.
IssyBear
MilleniaBear said:

Well its off to 6th Week Camp Blue. Wish Mike White was still there - he was a heck of a camp manager. Go Bears!
Mike visited Camp Blue 4th week for a few days. Still looks great.
IssyBear
helltopay1 said:

Dear Ursa: The iconic mural at GW is about to be torn down . i hope you object in the strongest possible terms. There is a book available in your local library: It is called thge 'suicide of the west." required reading for everybody.
A real shame! Met lots of friends under the "Dead Indian" back in the day.
SFCityBear
helltopay1 said:

There was also a frieze sculpture on an outside wall at George Washington High School, and one night maybe in 1959, three of my Lowell classmates, somewhat intoxicated, and armed with buckets of red paint, painted the private parts of the figures in the frieze. The next day we all went over to look and had a good laugh. We dubbed these budding young artists, giving them new first names, Vincent Van Borst, Diego Williams, and Pablo Cochran.

A couple of weeks later, intoxicated again, and very pleased with themselves, these three rascals went out and got several gallons of gasoline, and in the dark of night, went to Lincoln High School's football field and poured the gasoline on the grass in the shape of a big L, for Lowell, and set fire to it. Of course, these geniuses forgot to notice the Parkside Police Station happened to be located across the street. At the first whiff of smoke, the cops came running, and Vincent, Diego, and Pablo were lucky to escape in the nick of time.

They had their fun, but Lowell still lost all their football and basketball games that year to Washington and Lincoln, as I remember. Pablo and I ended up at Berkeley, where we both became serious students, or at least he did.

Do high school seniors do anything like this for fun today? Would they even think it was fun? I'd be interested in knowing.
SFCityBear
south bender
Let's hope not.
bearister
Today they OD on oxy.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
For the uninitiated who are wondering what this has to do with Taylor Harrison, he is a working artist now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.