DJ Thorpe commits!

5,079 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by helltopay1
graguna
How long do you want to ignore this user?

stu
Good news, a big at last!

In the picture he looks taller than Coach Jones. The man I assume is his father looks even bigger so I suppose he'll fill out some as he matures.

I expect we might sign another in the spring, it seems a little late for more fall commits.
graguna
Hi Dad, Otis Thorpe, had a 17 year NBA career. Power Forward/Center. Won a ring with Houston in 93/94
4thGenCal
Excellent commit - solid family/support structure and great young man, with clear desire to make an impact. Wyking took the lead and was consistent in his pitch, interest and ability to develop DJ. Dad mentioned to us that he trusted Wyking and staff and felt that the program was definitely going to improve.
Coupled with Smith (outstanding 2 guard) the players needed to get the program into the first division of the league is a very positive step. Next up will be a true point guard recruit. Keep the faith!
HoopDreams
bouncy!

i said before, he should be our number one priority recruit, so his commitment makes my day

Welcome to Cal DJ!

calumnus
Wow! Great news! Welcome to Cal DJ! Go Bears!
Big C
We're now getting the quantity and quality of recruits where, if we can somehow get a player of star caliber to add in, we will have something. Or maybe one of our young guys already in the fold really develops.
HoopDreams

Yogi58
HoopDreams said:

5 seconds in and I'm already deciding not to bother. Slowing down an ordinary open-court dunk? Sigh.
helltopay1
DJ Thorpe: Three star player---two star haircut.
calbearinamaze
Otis Thorpe was about as consistent as a player can get:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thorpot01.html

247 lists DJ as 6'8" 230. It also indicates we already 2 centers on the roster...
Vanover and The King. While it would be fantastic to have KO in the middle...
alas, this is incorrect. As you probably know 247 sometimes has some questionable
info.
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/DJ-Thorpe-109985/RecruitInterests/

His stats in his first two years were not bad especially on the boards. If anyone
can come up with JR. stats, please post them. (
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/dj-thorpe/hNS7HY4xEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

This is cool. His mom is "color commentator":

I'm already all-in for this year's team. Wins might be somewhat elusive, but the kids seem great representatives for CAL.

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
SFCityBear
BEARUPINDC said:

247 lists DJ as 6'8" 230. It also indicates we already 2 centers on the roster...
alas, this is incorrect. As you probably know 247 sometimes has some questionable
info.

His stats in his first two years were not bad especially on the boards. If anyone
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/dj-thorpe/hNS7HY4xEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

I'm already all-in for this year's team. Wins might be somewhat elusive, but the kids seem great representatives for CAL.

It is not just 247 that provides questionable data. I've seen Thorpe listed at 6-7, 6-8, and 6-9, and anywhere from 200 to 230 lbs. Similar differing measurements for many recruits from the different services. And then there are team rosters once they reach college, with many or most schools willing to inflate the numbers. Alas, who to believe?
FuzzyWuzzy
stu said:

Good news, a big at last!

In the picture he looks taller than Coach Jones. The man I assume is his father looks even bigger so I suppose he'll fill out some as he matures.

I expect we might sign another in the spring, it seems a little late for more fall commits.

I would only note that Coach Jones is not wearing shoes in that photo.
UrsaMajor
SFCityBear said:

BEARUPINDC said:

info.

It is not just 247 that provides questionable data. I've seen Thorpe listed at 6-7, 6-8, and 6-9, and anywhere from 200 to 230 lbs. Similar differing measurements for many recruits from the different services. And then there are team rosters once they reach college, with many or most schools willing to inflate the numbers. Alas, who to believe?
I think the variability in measurements may reflect when they are taken. If a site uses sophomore measurements on a senior, they're apt to be off (news flash: teenagers grow). OTOH, many teams inflate their players' height (another news flash).
helltopay1
Dear anyone; Everyone exaggerates height. it's a DNA thing. We correlate height with everything wonderful. Even theologians and biblical scholars are not immune from this regrettable truism. Mark Twain once said that he once knew a mouse who was so enamored off an elephant that he was ashamed of her. On a more realistic note, most Christian scholars usually depict Jesus of Nazareth with being tall and lanky and with having long, flowing brown hair. Some forensic anthropologists , however, have determined that the true height would be somewhere between 4 feet eleven and five feet five inches with black kinky hair and a very dark complexion. Hope this doesn't offend anyone. God knows this is never my intention. Remember, the "truth will always set you free." Either that or you can start drinking king again.
Chapman_is_Gone
helltopay1 said:

Dear anyone; Everyone exaggerates height. it's a DNA thing. We correlate height with everything wonderful. Even theologians and biblical scholars are not immune from this regrettable truism. Mark Twain once said that he once knew a mouse who was so enamored off an elephant that he was ashamed of her. On a more realistic note, most Christian scholars usually depict Jesus of Nazareth with being tall and lanky and with having long, flowing brown hair. Some forensic anthropologists , however, have determined that the true height would be somewhere between 4 feet eleven and five feet five inches with black kinky hair and a very dark complexion. Hope this doesn't offend anyone. God knows this is never my intention. Remember, the "truth will always set you free." Either that or you can start drinking king again.
While that may be true, I can tall you that Jesus of San Leandro is very short, rather homely, and quite obese from eating too many chile lime Cheetos.
helltopay1
dear Chapman: The supreme prefect has not given you authorization to be funny on this site. One more disobedience will cause someone to knock on your door. The supreme prefect does not have a reputation for being merciful. Other than that, he's a sweet guy. He has four castles in Bavaria and two in Heidelberg. He wears boots, has a german sheperd and sports a patch over one eye. he has instructed me to monitor your attempts at humor.
UrsaMajor
helltopay1 said:

Not bad, htp, but what is "king" that one can start drinking (and what is its proof?)
helltopay1
Oops!!!!!Bad keyboard--bad keyboard!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.