OT: UCLA gets new arena sponsor

2,097 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Econ141
UCBerkGrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UCLA's historic Pauley Pavilion to add presenting sponsor

UCLA's historic Pauley Pavilion will gain a presenting sponsor as part of the school's $38 million, 10-year deal with a credit union.

The deal announced Wednesday with Wescom Credit Union calls for permanent signage on the basketball arena that will read Edwin W. Pauley Pavilion presented by Wescom.

Wescom says money from the deal will be earmarked for preservation and improvements to the arena, which opened in 1965 and is named for a former regent and chief donor. It underwent a $132 million overhaul in 2012.
75bear
That's some nice coin! So I'm guessing we could get in the $2 to $2.5 mil per year neighborhood for Haas.
concordtom
They should call it Haas, presented by Levi's.

ColoradoBear
Didn't the Haas family essentially already pay for the naming rights though?

And $2-2.5mil seems very optimistic considering the relative prominence of UCLA vs Cal basketball.
BearSD
Even if Cal could do "Haas Pavilion Presented By _______", selling that sponsorship at this point in Cal men's basketball history would not maximize the value of that sponsorship. To put it mildly.
socaliganbear
Cal should worry about fielding a serviceable squad, first.
Jackieridgle
socaliganbear said:

Dunno about you, but I can walk and chew gum simultaneously!
Inevitable that Memorial and Haas will get naming deals. I believe the Chancellor realizes this is cost of having competitive athletics.
socaliganbear
Jackieridgle said:

socaliganbear said:

Dunno about you, but I can walk and chew gum simultaneously!
Inevitable that Memorial and Haas will get naming deals. I believe the Chancellor realizes this is cost of having competitive athletics.
The point isn't that they can't do two things at once. The point is that they need to not have a garbage can for a program before trying to shop ourselves around for sponsorships.
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearSD said:

Even if Cal could do "Haas Pavilion Presented By _______", selling that sponsorship at this point in Cal men's basketball history would not maximize the value of that sponsorship. To put it mildly.
The Cal way would be to take a couple of million to change it to "Haas Pavilion Presented By Wrangler" and piss off the Haas family for generations to come.
Econ141
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

BearSD said:

The Cal way would be to take a couple of million to change it to "Haas Pavilion Presented By Wrangler" and piss off the Haas family for generations to come.

Good god I could see this happening
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.