Joel Brown commits!

4,241 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calumnus
Chunger89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/10/02/joel-brown-to-cal/

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/cal-lands-coveted-point-guard-joel-brown

We've got our point guard for '19!
helltopay1
Dear Chunger: we got our back-up PG for 2019. Now, we need to work on getting a shoot-first PG for the 20-21 team. If Cal can land a PG who is rated higher than #29 in his class, then Brown and the new PG can battle it out for the starting position. Personally, I am not a fan of very small players who are not good shooters, but, hopefully, I can be pleasantly surprised.
bonsallbear
He has a lot of skills needed in a point guard. This is a big deal!
Chunger89
Chunger89 said:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/cal-lands-coveted-point-guard-joel-brown

I was referring to signing a point guard for the 2019 hs class alongside Smith and Thorpe. At this point in terms of recruiting, he's the highest rated point guard left on our recruiting radar as we've struck out on Mannion, Boogie Ellis, and Kyle Sturdivant.

https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/basketball/2019/PG

There are higher rated point guards still uncommitted, but I doubt we've developed any relations in terms of recruiting them.

Also at 6'2, I'd say Brown is at average height for a D1 point guard.
helltopay1
Dear Chunger: One report has him at an even six feet. I'll believe he's 6/2 when I see him in person.
4thGenCal
This is an very good pt guard commit. Brown brings quickness, toughness and the all to often, lost skill of effective "drive and dish". He has sufficient height/length to be effective. This staff has done an excellent job this past off season in closing on a solid 3 recruit class and developing a still very young squad.
The reasonable report card should be assessed on doubling total wins from last season and then an expected first division finish in league play next season.
tequila4kapp
This is good news. The staff has certainly picked up the pace on recruiting. Great job by the staff - the recent hires appear to be paying dividends. Things are looking up for the program.
Big C
4thGenCal said:

This is an very good pt guard commit. Brown brings quickness, toughness and the all to often, lost skill of effective "drive and dish". He has sufficient height/length to be effective. This staff has done an excellent job this past off season in closing on a solid 3 recruit class and developing a still very young squad.
The reasonable report card should be assessed on doubling total wins from last season and then an expected first division finish in league play next season.
I forget, did we win 6 or 8 games overall last season? Because I'm seeing this team going about 13-18 and 6-12 in conference, give or take. Still weak, but a significant step up from last season. The year after this, we get above .500.

With this recruiting class, I think Jones survives to coach a third year (and more, hopefully, but my crystal ball doesn't go out that far).
SFCityBear
I think it might be a little bit of a stretch to call him a 4-star recruit. ESPN, Rivals, and 247 composite all have him at 3 stars. Only 247's individual ranking gives him 4 stars. I'm not too impressed with the other schools who were after him. Maybe not quite as good as Charlie Moore, who was a legit 4 star, IMO, but Brown is not far behind Charlie, I'd expect. All that said, I have little faith in recruit rankings below the top 50 players. I do like the comments from his coach and from him. Hopefully, he can run a team. If he is a good defender, I'd love it. So few good defenders coming out of high school now.
stu
4thGenCal said:

This is an very good pt guard commit.
From the long video he looks very active, aware of where others are on the court, and able to get a shot off in traffic. Reminds me a bit of Brittany Boyd, though without that much strength. I think he will be a good point guard for us and he seems to be an excellent student.

I'm happy with the group of 3 and 4 star recruits our coaches have assembled. Talent evaluation is an art, as SFCB points out the star ratings have little meaning after the elite few. Let's hope our coaches have evaluated well, can coach these guys up, and have devised a system to get the most out of these players.

calumnus
Chunger89 said:

Welcome Joel!
BeachedBear
SFCityBear said:

I think it might be a little bit of a stretch to call him a 4-star recruit. ESPN, Rivals, and 247 composite all have him at 3 stars. Only 247's individual ranking gives him 4 stars. I'm not too impressed with the other schools who were after him. Maybe not quite as good as Charlie Moore, who was a legit 4 star, IMO, but Brown is not far behind Charlie, I'd expect. All that said, I have little faith in recruit rankings below the top 50 players. I do like the comments from his coach and from him. Hopefully, he can run a team. If he is a good defender, I'd love it. So few good defenders coming out of high school now.
I'm with you about the validity of rankings. Regardless of whether he's a 3* or 4*, he DOES appear to be a good fit for Cal. And THAT is a very important factor, that does not show up in the ratings. Charlie Moore was a fine PG, but he wasn't a good fit for Cal and left after one season. Given the choice between a 3* staying four seasons and a 4* leaving after one or two, I know what I'd prefer (obviously a 4*or 5* staying four years, but I think you get my drift).
SFCityBear
BeachedBear said:

SFCityBear said:

I'm with you about the validity of rankings. Regardless of whether he's a 3* or 4*, he DOES appear to be a good fit for Cal. And THAT is a very important factor, that does not show up in the ratings. Charlie Moore was a fine PG, but he wasn't a good fit for Cal and left after one season. Given the choice between a 3* staying four seasons and a 4* leaving after one or two, I know what I'd prefer (obviously a 4*or 5* staying four years, but I think you get my drift).
I absolutely agree with all of what you say here.
MoragaBear
Staff
SFCityBear said:

Per Brown, he had offers from Arizona State, Minnesota, Clemson, Seton Hall, Boise State and Rutgers.

Not bluebloods but not a bad list at all.
sluggo
4thGenCal said:

I agree with most of what you say, but when I watch the very limited videos, I think he does not look quick. He seems to change directions well, and also to alter his speed, and that is how he gets by players rather than pure burst. He appears to be rangy at whatever height, I suspect 6'2'' in shoes, so that should not be a problem. I saw him referred to as Canadian Rajon Rondo, which may be a good comparison in terms of style if not quality.

Sluggo
calumnus
BeachedBear said:

SFCityBear said:

I'd be really happy with a 4 or 5 star that stays one or two years before going to the NBA as a lottery pick opening up a scholie for another 4 or 5 star that stays one or two years before going to the NBA as a lottery pick...that is what happens at top programs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.