Living for the Future: Possible 2019-20 rotation

9,330 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thirteen months from now....

PG: Paris Austin, Joel Brown

SG: Darius McNeill, Matt Bradley, Charles Smith IV

2/3: Juhwan Harris-Dyson

SF: Justice Sueing, Jacoby Gordon

"Bigs": Andre Kelly, Grant Anticevich, Connor Vanover, DJ Thorpe

That's a roster that should get us above .500 in conference and probably into the NCAA Tournament. (Not that we don't aspire to even greater heights, but not a bad two-year makeover.)
Yogi58
Big C said:

That's a roster that should get us above .500 in conference and probably into the NCAA Tournament. (Not that we don't aspire to even greater heights, but not a bad two-year makeover.)
I have to see them in action, but I don't see above .500 in conference as a certainty with that talent. Who on that roster is going to make the All Pac 12 team? We can guess, but it's only a guess, even with the guys who played last year.
BeachedBear
Yogi Bear said:

Big C said:

I have to see them in action, but I don't see above .500 in conference as a certainty with that talent. Who on that roster is going to make the All Pac 12 team? We can guess, but it's only a guess, even with the guys who played last year.
I'm with Yogi. I'd say I'm less than cautiously optimistic. That roster will only compete (above .500) in conference if the POTENTIAL of most these players pans out. Besides individual development effort, that is going to take some coaching. Both using the right scheme and player development. To be honest, I haven't seen that level of development and adjustment from a Cal Coach other than Monty (since Kuchen days - I missed watching the Newell years).

I will give this staff credit for apparently improving the roster ingredients from what Jones inherited last year. McNeil, Harris-Dyson and Sueing showed promise, but I've also seen sophomore slumps. Furthermore. Jones has stated he desires to run more of a Lousiville style system, which some (but not all) of that roster may support). Definitely headed in the right direction, but still has a lot to prove to stay for third year, IMHO. The pre-season will be a good barometer to see how the pieces are fitting in and how this Staff balances rotations and scheme for success.
Big C
Yogi Bear said:

Big C said:

No "certainty", certainly. And when I say "above .500 in conference", that's sort of a euphemism for 10-8, or maybe 11-7.

Who among that group could be an all-conference player in 2019-20? Whichever 1-2 players develop the most; I don't know who that will be. Almost certainly not one of the freshmen. But that leaves Austin, McNeill, Bradley, Harris-Dyson, Sueing, Gordon and Kelly. Not unrealistic to think 1-2 of them will really emerge.

I agree that that roster would seem to lack a star caliber player... someone that other teams would have to game-plan for.

sluggo
Big C said:

Yogi Bear said:

Big C said:

No "certainty", certainly. And when I say "above .500 in conference", that's sort of a euphemism for 10-8, or maybe 11-7.

Who among that group could be an all-conference player in 2019-20? Whichever 1-2 players develop the most; I don't know who that will be. Almost certainly not one of the freshmen. But that leaves Austin, McNeill, Bradley, Harris-Dyson, Sueing, Gordon and Kelly. Not unrealistic to think 1-2 of them will really emerge.

I agree that that roster would seem to lack a star caliber player... someone that other teams would have to game-plan for.

Before the injury Gordon looked like he could be a star. Now, who knows. Maybe CSIV? Agree with the consensus that this is a good supporting cast looking for a star or two. Also need someone to help Thorpe down low. Not convinced by the other three.

Then there is the other half, the coaching ...

Sluggo
Big C
Ah yes, the coaching...

Well, we'll know more and more about that starting very soon, won't we?
caltagjohnson
By his junior year Vanover will be a star. He already has all the skills. His current "problem" is strength and stamina. He is working on it, but is not there yet. This year he will come off the bench for stretches. His minutes will be limited by stamina. He will play as many minutes as his body wil allow. This is the opinion of someone who knows the team. I have ony seen a video of him shooting threes. He has a nice stroke and can shoot.
stu
Big C said:

My guess is we'll play a lot of 4-out since our bigs may take some time to mature. If so the positions might look more like:

SG: Darius McNeill, Charles Smith IV

SG/SF: Juhwan Harris-Dyson, Matt Bradley

SF/PF: Justice Sueing, Jacoby Gordon

C: Andre Kelly, Grant Anticevich, Connor Vanover, DJ Thorpe

Big C
stu said:

Big C said:

My guess is we'll play a lot of 4-out since our bigs may take some time to mature. If so the positions might look more like:

SG: Darius McNeill, Charles Smith IV

SG/SF: Juhwan Harris-Dyson, Matt Bradley

SF/PF: Justice Sueing, Jacoby Gordon

C: Andre Kelly, Grant Anticevich, Connor Vanover, DJ Thorpe

Certainly, at least some of the time, that will be the case. Of course, in thirteen months, GA will be a junior and Kelly and Vanover will be sophomores. Still, you bring up a valid point.
tequila4kapp
Nice post! The staff is building something. It is progressively getting better. It appears that rather than having one and done players we are going to have solid guys who matriculate through the program.
helltopay1
Dear Eric: Will Gordons' injury prevent him from ever being a rotation player?We will probably find out next year, right?
SFCityBear
Big C said:

Well, you've listed 12 players, and one thing that is almost sure is we are not going to have a 12-man rotation, with 12 players playing major minutes every game in a full season. Hardly any coach does that anymore. (Al Attles, where have you gone?)

Most colleges run 7-8 man rotations. So which 4 players are not going to play much at all? You have Harris-Dyson as a 4th string shooting guard or a 3rd string small forward, so do you see him rarely playing at all?

I'd say 20-25 minutes and more is major minutes in college. So which of these players do you see getting 20 - 25 minutes? These are really hard questions to answer, since we have seen only 4 of these players in action in a Cal uniform. The rest is pure speculation.
Big C
SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

Well, you've listed 12 players, and one thing that is almost sure is we are not going to have a 12-man rotation, with 12 players playing major minutes every game in a full season. Hardly any coach does that anymore. (Al Attles, where have you gone?)

Most colleges run 7-8 man rotations. So which 4 players are not going to play much at all? You have Harris-Dyson as a 4th string shooting guard or a 3rd string small forward, so do you see him rarely playing at all?

I'd say 20-25 minutes and more is major minutes in college. So which of these players do you see getting 20 - 25 minutes? These are really hard questions to answer, since we have seen only 4 of these players in action in a Cal uniform. The rest is pure speculation.
It is indeed hard, even impossible, to say which 7-8 players will be getting the majority of minutes in 2019-20. For this reason, I suppose my calling it a "rotation" was a poor choice of words. If it were possible to go back and change the title of posts, i would use the words "probable 2019-20 scholarship roster" instead of "possible 2019-20 rotation".

The good news is that it looks as though there will be a roster of 12 players, each potentially decent or better, from which the coaches can draw upon to form a winning team.
Big C
helltopay1 said:

Dear Eric: Will Gordons' injury prevent him from ever being a rotation player?We will probably find out next year, right?
Dear helltopay: I'm not Eric, obviously, but, as I understand it, Gordon's problem is no longer his injury, but rather the year he lost because of it. Instead of honing his skills against top competition and building his base of strength and conditioning, he has been rehabbing. But he should be getting minutes this season and be back near peak performance down the road.
helltopay1
Good update---thanks.
calgo430
mcneil shows a lot of promise as a shooter/scorer. sophmore blues very doubtful
graguna
I think many people are under estimating the improvement we are likely to see in the sophomores. They logged a ton of minutes for freshmen last year and all showed good upside. They have more experience than the average sophomore. I expect a lot out of those guys.
SFCityBear
caltagjohnson said:

By his junior year Vanover will be a star. He already has all the skills. His current "problem" is strength and stamina. He is working on it, but is not there yet. This year he will come off the bench for stretches. His minutes will be limited by stamina. He will play as many minutes as his body wil allow. This is the opinion of someone who knows the team. I have ony seen a video of him shooting threes. He has a nice stroke and can shoot.
I have some trouble understanding how an 18 year old can have a problem with stamina, unless he has a respiratory ailment or something, in a game that requires only short bursts of energy sandwiched in between breaks for free throws and a seemingly endless number of time outs. Players today rarely have to play more than 3-4 minutes in between whistles and buzzers.
BeachedBear
SFCityBear said:

caltagjohnson said:

I have some trouble understanding how an 18 year old can have a problem with stamina, unless he has a respiratory ailment or something, in a game that requires only short bursts of energy sandwiched in between breaks for free throws and a seemingly endless number of time outs. Players today rarely have to play more than 3-4 minutes in between whistles and buzzers.
I read it as his problem is not AS MUCH STAMINA AS OTHER PLAYERS ON THE COURT (WHO ARE PROBABLY MORE ATHLETIC). Not to mention he is more of a physical outlier (7'3" 215 lb Freshman still growing into his body).
SFCityBear
Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

It is indeed hard, even impossible, to say which 7-8 players will be getting the majority of minutes in 2019-20. For this reason, I suppose my calling it a "rotation" was a poor choice of words. If it were possible to go back and change the title of posts, i would use the words "probable 2019-20 scholarship roster" instead of "possible 2019-20 rotation".

The good news is that it looks as though there will be a roster of 12 players, each potentially decent or better, from which the coaches can draw upon to form a winning team.
My apologies if you thought I was being critical of your choice of words. It was unintentional. I only wanted to ask you for your thoughts about the rotation. I'm also interested in the non-scholarship but recruited players on the roster, especially James (Tian Jian) Zhao, who played on the China's FIBA U17 National Team. He has good size for a guard, 6-4 and 185 lbs. A 19 year old freshman, if he has the skills, he might fill a need at backing up Paris Austin this season. Austin averaged only 20 minutes at Boise St., and his projected backup at point guard this season is McNeil, could already be logging 25-30 minutes at SG.
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

cones down to how quickly they pick-up defense. Otherwise, not a .500 roster.
Big C
SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

My apologies if you thought I was being critical of your choice of words. It was unintentional. I only wanted to ask you for your thoughts about the rotation. I'm also interested in the non-scholarship but recruited players on the roster, especially James (Tian Jian) Zhao, who played on the China's FIBA U17 National Team. He has good size for a guard, 6-4 and 185 lbs. A 19 year old freshman, if he has the skills, he might fill a need at backing up Paris Austin this season. Austin averaged only 20 minutes at Boise St., and his projected backup at point guard this season is McNeil, could already be logging 25-30 minutes at SG.
Not a problem. I dare not speculate about the rotation in 2019-20: Too many variables between now and then. Some of the guys will develop more, while others will stagnate. Some may leave the program.

I don't know much about Zhao. Any reason to suggest a true freshman of shooting guard size might be able to earn some minutes at the point? Certainly we need somebody else back there! Even just at practice, if not also in games.
Big C
wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

cones down to how quickly they pick-up defense. Otherwise, not a .500 roster.
You bring up a good point. Of the "bigs" mentioned, only Thorpe has a reputation as a good defender... and he will be a true freshman. We'll see. Hoping for at least .500 in conference by then,
SFCityBear
Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

Not a problem. I dare not speculate about the rotation in 2019-20: Too many variables between now and then. Some of the guys will develop more, while others will stagnate. Some may leave the program.

I don't know much about Zhao. Any reason to suggest a true freshman of shooting guard size might be able to earn some minutes at the point? Certainly we need somebody else back there! Even just at practice, if not also in games.
There is not much information on Zhao, except that Cal actively recruited him. Being from China, he may have been overlooked by scouts. I am some one who has little faith in recruit rankings above #40 panning out for us, and the one-and done recruits are usually too young to give us much in the year they play. So I'd like to see what Zhao can do. He is a freshman, but he is 19, so he is a year or two older and more mature, hopefully, than the average freshman. I'd don't know that 6-4 is a handicap playing point guard. On of the best in history was Magic, at 6-8.

We don't have many options for anyone else to back up Austin this season. There is McNeill, but he will be playing most of the minutes at SG. If Zhao or someone else can not fill a littel at point, then Austin will have to play 30 minutes, which he hasn't ever done before. Next season there could be more help at SG, leaving McNeill to play more PG behind Austin.
Civil Bear
SFCityBear said:

We don't have many options for anyone else to back up Austin this season. There is McNeill, but he will be playing most of the minutes at SG. If Zhao or someone else can not fill a littel at point, then Austin will have to play 30 minutes, which he hasn't ever done before. Next season there could be more help at SG, leaving McNeill to play more PG behind Austin.
Austin has played several games over 30 minutes. Heck, he nearly averaged that as a sophomore at Boise St (28.5mpg).
caltagjohnson
I think Gordon's injury was a ruptured achilles, not a knee.
sluggo
caltagjohnson said:

Right. Watch this video ( Go to minute 16. He can't move his feet. This is from only six months ago, and he is already a year older than is typical for his grade. I am not saying he won't be serviceable at some point, but to have such expectations is not consistent with the current evidence.

One does not have to report rumors. There are videos of all the recruits. Highlight tapes tell a little, but unfiltered game tape tells almost all.

Sluggo
helltopay1
Eric: I believe you said that Joel Brown was rated #93 by Athlon for next years class. Just looked it up. Nope---not rated in the top 150. Neither is DJ Thorpe. Smith is rated #104.
Yogi58
helltopay1 said:

Eric: I believe you said that Joel Brown was rated #93 by Athlon for next years class. Just looked it up. Nope---not rated in the top 150. Neither is DJ Thorpe. Smith is rated #104.
167 on 24/7. Smith is 232 and Thorpe is 148 on 24/7, for what that is worth.
helltopay1
jesus!!!!The lack of star quality is mitigated by the unfortunate previous season and also by the ruinous personnel issues. Next year, we will have 2-3 slots and we need to land star players with all those slots. For some reason I am optimistic. Please don't ask me to explain. I don't want to bore you or myself. Landing a real star shoot-first PG is a must. That is priority # 1.
BC Calfan
helltopay1 said:

Landing a real star shoot-first PG is a must. That is priority # 1.

A shoot first PG like Don Coleman? No thanks.

I disagree on shoot first PG. A PG that is a good shooter yes? If you're PG is jacking up shots and even scoring at a decent clip---the offense will suffer. Balanced shooting from the team is what I'd like to see. 3-4 guys per rotation that are capable of knocking down 3s and a PG that can get the ball to them in their spots. Then we'll have something.
helltopay1
Dear BC: I should have said " good perimeter shooting PG who will offset Browns' lack of perimeter shooting." In 2019-2020 you can't have a team where neither PG can shoot from the key.
SFCityBear
Civil Bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Austin has played several games over 30 minutes. Heck, he nearly averaged that as a sophomore at Boise St (28.5mpg).
Thanks very much for the correction. I was going by memory, and I should have known better and double-checked. His career average was 20.7 minutes, but the sophomore season was more meaningful as he made his way into the starting lineup and got more minutes. He will be stepping up in the quality of competition from MWC to PAC12, so it is not a sure thing he can play 30 minutes, but he has certainly done it before, at some level, as you pointed out.

If Austin averages 28 minutes, McNeill can pick up the other 12 minutes. Last season he played 33 minutes a game, and I'd like to see him playing a little less this season. If he plays 33 minutes again, that means he would play 21 minutes at SG, with Bradley and JHD playing 19 minutes between them. Maybe it works. I still would like to see what James Zhao can do. In this modern world of more player injuries, I think it could help to have more backup at point guard than we have.

smokeyrover
SFCityBear said:

In this modern world of more player injuries, I think it could help to have more backup at point guard than we have.

No inside info, but I get the feeling that Jacob Orender would be the emergency third point guard as he has a little more experience at the college level and practiced with the team last year.
SFCityBear
smokeyrover said:

SFCityBear said:

In this modern world of more player injuries, I think it could help to have more backup at point guard than we have.

No inside info, but I get the feeling that Jacob Orender would be the emergency third point guard as he has a little more experience at the college level and practiced with the team last year.
Good point. He deserves consideration, of course.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.