Goodbye 1 and Dones

4,198 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by joe amos yaks
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The NBA's G league will offer 125K contracts to select individuals who otherwise would have gone to college for 1 year.

I think this is superb. Some people just aren't cut out for college. End the charade and let them pursue their profession of choice.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015812/g-league-offer-professional-path-elite-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa
joe amos yaks
tequila4kapp said:

The NBA's G league will offer 125K contracts to select individuals who otherwise would have gone to college for 1 year.

I think this is superb. Some people just aren't cut out for college. End the charade and let them pursue their profession of choice.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015812/g-league-offer-professional-path-elite-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa
Of course there are a limited number of contracts available in the G league.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
BC Calfan
Yep, already flawed. Why don't they just allow max $125K contracts and let the teams decide who gets them? Holy smokes their confusing a simple concept with the right intention into a bureaucratic and possibly immoral mess.
ColoradoBear
Sounds like it won't start until 2022.

And some of these one and done players will be forced to take a pay cut from what they could have made in college.
gobears
Flaws in proposed HS to G league contracts... but is step in right direction.. Those HS players who do not want to go to college but to the pros now have path to do so without going overseas. (good)

Glad this option will soon be available to top HS players who have no wish to play college ball.

goBears

HoopDreams
this is so simple

let market forces solve most of the problem

the way they are doing it is a step in the right direction, but they still are too controlling on how this works

why not just give every D League team a salary cap and let them spend how ever they want?

either that, or have a D League draft. HS seniors can enter the draft. If they get drafted for an amount they like, then they go to D League (or overseas). If not, they can sit out and go straight to NBA, or to a college as a one and done

despite all the cries of unfairness, the college route is a lot more attractive than many say... it's not just the schollie which most want to point out ...going to college builds a better brand faster than anything the player will get from the D League, plus the player development, college experience AND education
BeachedBear
HoopDreams said:

this is so simple

the way they are doing it is a step in the right direction, but they still are too controlling on how this works

why not just give every D League team a salary cap and let them spend how ever they want?

either that, or have a D League draft. HS seniors can enter the draft. If they get drafted for an amount they like, then they go to D League (or overseas). If not, they can sit out and go straight to NBA, or to a college as a one and done

despite all the cries of unfairness, the college route is a lot more attractive than many say... it's not just the schollie which most want to point out ...going to college builds a better brand faster than anything the player will get from the D League, plus the player development, college experience AND education
I like it. However, if this lasts, I wouldn't be surprised that player development in G league will surpass that of most, if not all college programs. I'd also guess that OADs mostly self-select away from college, once this is a proven track to NBA. Sure, they may miss one year of the college experience, but how many of the OADs are really having that experience.

I think Jaylen Brown is a rare example of a OAD. where an experience like Cal was beneficial. I bet he'll be back.
HoopDreams
BeachedBear said:

HoopDreams said:

this is so simple

I like it. However, if this lasts, I wouldn't be surprised that player development in G league will surpass that of most, if not all college programs. I'd also guess that OADs mostly self-select away from college, once this is a proven track to NBA. Sure, they may miss one year of the college experience, but how many of the OADs are really having that experience.

I think Jaylen Brown is a rare example of a OAD. where an experience like Cal was beneficial. I bet he'll be back.
yes, that may very well be how it turns out, and if, then everyone is good right?

players have options. if they are good enough they have more options. but for all but the elite, college is a pretty good deal
tequila4kapp
It is definitely good. And I think it's especially good for a school like Cal.
ColoradoBear
HoopDreams said:

this is so simple

Well a draft and salary cap are anti market, so if you accept those are OK, you accept anti market forces are OK.
Yogi58
tequila4kapp said:

That makes them a little more price competitive with Louisville.
HoopDreams
ColoradoBear said:

HoopDreams said:

this is so simple

Well a draft and salary cap are anti market, so if you accept those are OK, you accept anti market forces are OK.
you are so right!

... the G League should have a less restrictive structure. for example a team cap instead of a player cap. Although team caps are anti-competitive, it helps the league maintain some competitive balance as small market teams won't be at a disadvantage.

I think the good thing about the G-league change is it is a viable alternative to college (and overseas), giving players choices (that's the part I was referring to as 'market forces')
wifeisafurd
tequila4kapp said:

This is huge. So sorry UofA, and some other schools that rely on guys who are dumber than a rock.
parentswerebears
I don't think this is as big a deal as many are making it. You can build your brand better in Chapel Hill or Tucson better than you can in Portland Maine it Souix Falls. Don't think this is anything close to being a game changer.
UrsaMajor
parentswerebears said:

I don't think this is as big a deal as many are making it. You can build your brand better in Chapel Hill or Tucson better than you can in Portland Maine it Souix Falls. Don't think this is anything close to being a game changer.
Agree. Assuming they can still collect a salary at Louisville, Oregon, UofA, etc., college is a better deal than the G-league. Beating the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants or the Sioux Falls Skyforce for the G-league championship doesn't have quite the cachet of "One Shining Moment" and March Madness. Players like Jimmer Fredette get huge publicity in the Tournament that they won't in the G-league. Other than the 2-way players, can anyone name the Warriors' Santa Cruz roster?
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

parentswerebears said:

Agree. Assuming they can still collect a salary at Louisville, Oregon, UofA, etc., college is a better deal than the G-league. Beating the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants or the Sioux Falls Skyforce for the G-league championship doesn't have quite the cachet of "One Shining Moment" and March Madness. Players like Jimmer Fredette get huge publicity in the Tournament that they won't in the G-league. Other than the 2-way players, can anyone name the Warriors' Santa Cruz roster?
Do you remember when Washington's Hugh McElhenny was signed by the 49ers, and everyone knew he took a pay cut when he signed?
Richmondbear2
I dont remember but I wasnt born until 1959
UrsaMajor
SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

parentswerebears said:

Do you remember when Washington's Hugh McElhenny was signed by the 49ers, and everyone knew he took a pay cut when he signed?
Unfortunately, I do remember (means we're old, SFC).
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

parentswerebears said:

Thanks for reminding me. There were times last season, as I watched our so-called division one players who could barely hit the rim on a shot, I was disgusted. I wondered if I could still play a bit. I wondered that with all the time outs, I'd only have to play a minute or two at a time. I went to the gym and found a ball. There was a little girl there shooting baskets, and she made everything. Every shot I took was short. I summoned up some more strength and threw everything I had into it. I started making everything, too. (Ursa, you never lose it, right?) Those were set shots. Then I tried a jump shot. My rhythm was so out of whack, that I released the ball on the way up, instead of at the top of my jump. I then decided to try a layup. As I went up, my feet got all tangled up, I lost the ball and fell sprawling to the floor. I decided that walking and jogging is all I am capable of now, and I'm trying to convince myself that is OK for now.
UrsaMajor
SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

parentswerebears said:

Thanks for reminding me. There were times last season, as I watched our so-called division one players who could barely hit the rim on a shot, I was disgusted. I wondered if I could still play a bit. I wondered that with all the time outs, I'd only have to play a minute or two at a time. I went to the gym and found a ball. There was a little girl there shooting baskets, and she made everything. Every shot I took was short. I summoned up some more strength and threw everything I had into it. I started making everything, too. (Ursa, you never lose it, right?) Those were set shots. Then I tried a jump shot. My rhythm was so out of whack, that I released the ball on the way up, instead of at the top of my jump. I then decided to try a layup. As I went up, my feet got all tangled up, I lost the ball and fell sprawling to the floor. I decided that walking and jogging is all I am capable of now, and I'm trying to convince myself that is OK for now.

Why I haven't been in the gym in a while...
south bender
SFCB, "OK for now?"

Do you imagine that with a little bit of discipline and practice, your basketball skills will return to where they were over 50 years ago?

A year or so ago I walked under the basket before a Cal game, looking up at the net and the rim. I was stunned to think that I could get my hand (in high school) about 4" above the rim. It was clear to me now that just jumping up to touch the net would probably tweak my back, putting me flat on my back for days...

I think it best that you dream about playing today or tomorrow, that you forego actually trying to do it.

joe amos yaks
SFCityBear said:

I was an 8-yr old 4th grader that season, but I don't remember that bit of info.
Was Joe Perry on that 1952 roster?
joe amos yaks
wifeisafurd said:

tequila4kapp said:

This is huge. So sorry UofA, and some other schools that rely on guys who are dumber than a rock.
. . . or more talented that a rock.
HoopDreams
You don't stop playing because you're old

You get old because you stop playing

- Uncle Drew

SFCityBear
joe amos yaks said:

SFCityBear said:

I was an 8-yr old 4th grader that season, but I don't remember that bit of info.
Was Joe Perry on that 1952 roster?
Yes, Joe "the Jet" Perry was in that backfield. Along with quarterback Y.A. Tittle, Perry and McElhenny were the starting backfield in the 1953 Pro Bowl. In 1954, John Henry Johnson joined the 49ers who ran a T-formation, together with Tittle, Perry, McElhenny formed the "Million Dollar Backfield." Johnson played football for St Marys, but when St Marys dropped football in 1950, he transferred to Arizona State, and was drafted by the Steelers, but played a year for Calgary in the CFL, where he was the League's Most Valuable Player.

I think I was 10 years old and in the 6th grade when McElhenny was drafted. He was so explosive. He could fake any tackler out of his shoes, and if that failed, he had an unbelievable straightarm. I grew up two blocks from the old Kezar Stadium. A bunch of us kids used to climb up the fire escape to the roof of the old Poly High School to watch the 49er games. The cops used to make us come down off the roof, but when they left, we went right back up to the roof. The police finally gave up.

Link to article on the Million Dollar Backfield: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Dollar_Backfield_(San_Francisco_49ers)
KenBurnski
Interesting history. Must have been fun times. Love the image of the kids scrambling up and down the fire escape.
joe amos yaks
SFCityBear said:

"...Yes, Joe "the Jet" Perry was in that backfield. Along with quarterback Y.A. Tittle, Perry and McElhenny were the starting backfield in the 1953 Pro Bowl. In 1954, John Henry Johnson joined the 49ers who ran a T-formation, together with Tittle, Perry, McElhenny formed the "Million Dollar Backfield." Johnson played football for St Marys, but when St Marys dropped football in 1950, he transferred to Arizona State, and was drafted by the Steelers, but played a year for Calgary in the CFL, where he was the League's Most Valuable Player.

I think I was 10 years old and in the 6th grade when McElhenny was drafted. ..."
John Henry Johnson . . . I did not know he played at St Marys for the great Coach Joe Verducci (later at SF State). I'm looking at the record of that last (1950) St Marys team (2 wins / 7 losses / 1 tie) under Coach Joe Reutz.

The Gaels beat uOregon and uNevada, tied uGeorgia, and lost to CoP, Loyola Marymount, the great USF Dons, Cal, SJ St, Santa Clara, and Villanova. That is still quite a schedule.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.