Paris Austin

1,409 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 59bear
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I did not feel that Austin had a very good game. In fact, I thought he scored well, but played poorly for a point guard. He has good speed, looks faster than Charlie Moore even, but as the analyst (whose name I've forgotten) said, he is playing too fast, and the team was playing too fast. He was using his speed to get down the court, but he seems faster than the other Cal players, and as a result he got to the other end and he had no one with him, and he was facing a one on two or a one on three situation, and much of the time he lost the ball or had his shot blocked. He scored some, but this is not team play. The announcer said that he needed to slow down, the whole team needed to slow down and not try to beat the other team to the basket, but use their athletic abilities and teamwork to be successful, as I remember. He was playing out of control way too often and lost the ball.

Austin had 2 assists and 4 turnovers. I would have guessed more like 8 TOs. That was an Assist/turnover ratio of 0.5. That is awful for a D1 point guard. At Boise, he averaged 4 assists and 3 turnovers per 40 minutes, which is fair, nothing great, but better than A/TO ration less than 1, that is for sure. He played 38 minutes vs Yale. I had hoped to see about 6 assists a game from him and maybe 3 turnovers. It is not all on him, because his teammates were standing around, and also not getting down the floor. But he really does need to slow down and give his teammates time to get open, whether in the half-court or on the break. He is just not running team offense, which should be his major responsibility on offense.

calgo430
agreed. primay resposibility is to setup his team mates. did not see much of that against yale. saw nothing to get me enthused about our prospects for 18-19.
bearmanpg
I didn't see any of the game so this may be a comment that is way off but it is my understanding that to get an assist, someone has to make a shot....
BeachedBear
I was underwhelmed, but attribute most of it to the other teammates who were not moving well without the ball. There seemed a few times where Austin was attempting to direct his teammates, but they were lost.

I'm more concerned with Sueing, McNeil and Gordon at this point. I still think Austin and McNeil together can make a very competitive starting backcourt.
59bear
bearmanpg said:

I didn't see any of the game so this may be a comment that is way off but it is my understanding that to get an assist, someone has to make a shot....
Quite so. The shooting was truly atrocious, in part because spacing and ball movement were very shabby and way too many contested shots put up early in the clock. By contrast, Yale got plenty of quality looks with movement, passing and patience. It's early but I have this sinking feeling that we're going to see a lot of this this season. I hope I'm wrong.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.