Fire Wyking Jones

oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well according to this publication, Wyking Jones is on the Hot Seat.

https://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/college-basketball-2018-19-coaches-hot-seat?amp
Up with the Blue and Gold. Down with the Red!
3Cats4CAL
He posted on cal wbb forum that he just donated to them so he is donating.
oskidunker
And so?
calbear80
oskidunker said:

Well according to this publication, Wyking Jones is on the Hot Seat.

https://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/college-basketball-2018-19-coaches-hot-seat?amp

Only hot seat?
TheSouseFamily
Speaking of hot seats, I can't imagine Steve Alfurd is gonna be around much longer. Zag's Blog has a story up that Fred Hoiberg might be next at UCLA. Total speculation though. http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/12/03/bulls-fire-fred-hoiberg-could-ucla-be-his-next-stop/
Yogi Bear
UrsaMajor said:

Serious question, not meant as a flame:

Why do you keep posting the exact same thing over and over and over and...?
Why does SFCityBear talk about Pete Newell in 90% of his posts?
calbear80
The Guy Mike Williams Hired As MBB "coach" just lost again. This time to unranked USF by 19 points after trailing by as many as 29 points. It was simply UnBearable!!

Now, the Guy Mike Williams Hired As MBB "coach" is:

. 2-5 this season (playing against opponents that Cal should beat)

. 2-17 against Pac-12 opponents

. 10-29 overall (with many double digit losses to lesser opponents)

Time For Change Is Now!

Bring Back Respect And Dignity To Cal MBB!

Go Bears!
panda
Anyone here still think this team is developing and getting better? And that all this Fire Wyking talk is premature?

This team isn't hitting 10 wins. Should've taken that bet up.
SmellinRoses
The guy is a disgrace. How much longer?
oskidunker
I have a feeling something is going to happen soon.
socaltownie
oskidunker said:

Maybe. It will be interesting if the AD is trying to get a guage on player feelings.

We are NOT going to rescue the season with a firing. Maybe win +2 games over status quo but this isn't going to be a move that solves our huge problems in the front court or the fact we are really young. We can't go out and start interviewing folks that have jobs with existing programs. There is nothing to stop the AD from putting together a list now and starting to reach out for opinions from folks like Monty to get his list together.

But I do think we ALL need to accept one of the "facts" which are needed to frame a debate.

We (and Sandy and Dirks) should have listened to Monty. Travis would have been a FAR better hire. Watch the Grizzlies beat Zona on the 19th and we get to wonder what could have been. I wonder if we can rebuild that bridge and bring him back or if that ship has sailed. I do know he is at the top of the list for a phone call.
socaliganbear
Only reason would be to go get Fred Hoiberg now. Or give Kidd a jumpstart on recruiting. .
calgo430
if jason kidd would take the job i would pull the plug on wj right now. he would probably save next years recruiting class and bring some national exposure to our dormant program.
SFCityBear
Yogi Bear said:

UrsaMajor said:

Serious question, not meant as a flame:

Why do you keep posting the exact same thing over and over and over and...?
Why does SFCityBear talk about Pete Newell in 90% of his posts?
I'd rather talk about the positive than talk about the negative. I keeps my juices from getting jangled, and Satchel Paige might say. I talk about Pete Newell because he was Cal's last successful coach, and won a national title, 4 conference titles, and another national title at USF. He spent most of his life teaching winning techniques and skills to all levels of players. Many coaches adapted or incorporated some of his ideas, and many players credit him with their development. I also talk about Newell in the hopes it might be interesting and educational. If the choice is doing that or piling hate on a young coach and a team of very young undersized inexperienced players, I will choose Newell. If Newell is not your cup of tea, then don't read what I write about him and Cal's great teams in the 1950s.
calbear80
socaltownie said:

oskidunker said:

Maybe. It will be interesting if the AD is trying to get a guage on player feelings.

We are NOT going to rescue the season with a firing. Maybe win +2 games over status quo but this isn't going to be a move that solves our huge problems in the front court or the fact we are really young. We can't go out and start interviewing folks that have jobs with existing programs. There is nothing to stop the AD from putting together a list now and starting to reach out for opinions from folks like Monty to get his list together.

But I do think we ALL need to accept one of the "facts" which are needed to frame a debate.

We (and Sandy and Dirks) should have listened to Monty. Travis would have been a FAR better hire. Watch the Grizzlies beat Zona on the 19th and we get to wonder what could have been. I wonder if we can rebuild that bridge and bring him back or if that ship has sailed. I do know he is at the top of the list for a phone call.

I am not a Sandy fan, but, let's be fair. Let us not blame Sandy for the current mess or hiring The Guy Mike Williams Hired As MBB "coach".

Dirk (and/or his Vice-Chancellor) over-ruled Sandy and decided to hire Coach Martin (at the time, Sandy was on her way out).

Mike Williams hired this guy (at the time Dirk was on his way out).

Blame Dirk for hiring Coach Martin.

Blame Mike Williams for hiring this guy.

Time For Change Is Now!

Go Bears!
UrsaMajor
I can't agree that hiring Martin was a bad idea, although it didn't work out well (OTOH, he did get us to our highest NCAA seeding since the 50's). Only an idiot would turn down the opportunity to hire a Power 5 coach who had just taken a team to the Sweet-16. Sandy actually wanted Chris Mooney from Richmond (he of the slowdown version of the Princeton offense) as her 1st choice and Travis as a fall back. Certainly Martin was better than that. Agree that the Jones hiring was a head-scratcher. I don't know if it had to do with money, a failed search or what, but obviously not the best choice.
tenplay
Please refresh my memory. Was Martin even offered a long term contract or was he always on a temporary contract? I kinda remember some heated discussions about it after his first year. Was he shopping around for another gig because of the delay in hiring him long-range? As I get older, sometimes details slip through the growing cracks. And I wonder how he is doing with the players and fans at Missouri nowadays.
BeachedBear
UrsaMajor said:

I can't agree that hiring Martin was a bad idea, although it didn't work out well (OTOH, he did get us to our highest NCAA seeding since the 50's). Only an idiot would turn down the opportunity to hire a Power 5 coach who had just taken a team to the Sweet-16. Sandy actually wanted Chris Mooney from Richmond (he of the slowdown version of the Princeton offense) as her 1st choice and Travis as a fall back. Certainly Martin was better than that. Agree that the Jones hiring was a head-scratcher. I don't know if it had to do with money, a failed search or what, but obviously not the best choice.
This is how I see it as well. As for the Jones hire, it has become obvious to me that he is a seat filler. Athletic Director and Chancellor were lame ducks. Department had financial woes. Coach/Ath Dept/University had different objectives wrt Mens BB.

No one is going to give anyone grief for replacing Jones at seasons end. If it was a more recognizable coach - there may have been some hesitation. As for compensation. Jones is overpaid based on his resume, but NOT based on his role. As disgusting at it may seem, paying him less may have hampered our ability to replace him.

Knowlton/Christ and the department seem light years ahead of where we were, so I think April will be a great opportunity for Knowlton to put his stamp on things.
SFCityBear
calgo430 said:

if jason kidd would take the job i would pull the plug on wj right now. he would probably save next years recruiting class and bring some national exposure to our dormant program.
I think this is fantasy. What has Jason Kidd done to deserve to be considered for the Cal Head Coach job?

He was a very good player for Cal, but other than that and a fine NBA playing career, his resume for coaching in college is very thin, if it even exists. As an NBA coach over five seasons, he had a losing record. In three trips to the playoffs, he had a losing record. He has no experience coaching college players or recruiting high school players as a college assistant coach. He has never been a college head coach. Besides that, Cal would likely not hire him, because he comes with some baggage of off court behavior. If they can fire an assistant coach for merely making suggestive advances to a reporter, they won't likely hire Jason Kidd.

Cal is a mess right now. They have an inexperienced coach, whose team of undersized youngsters who play well to open games, get in trouble, and revert to the way they played in high school. I think the best way to turn this ship around is to bring in a coach who has experience turning ships around. Maybe he has to be a firebrand like Bobby Knight was(Cal wouldn't hire him either. He's not an elitist or a yes man, and he's too politically incorrect, plus he is too old). Jones knows good personnel, and he has recruited decently to fill some holes. I think he knows what good offense is, because Cal looked good in the Hampton game, and has looked good in short stretches. But so far he can't get full cooperation from his players, and I think it is a combination of him being a nice guy and his players being young and easily rattled, so that they revert to what they were, the star and go-to guy on their high school team. Jones can't solve the rebounding issue, because he has no height capable of playing yet.. And he can't solve the players' lack of fundamentals overnight. I takes years to develop good fundamentals. He could do a better job recruiting more fundamentally sound players, but those are harder to find. In the Bay Area, most of them are now playing for St Mary's and USF.
socaltownie
Conceed on Sandy. You are right that we would have Travis if she hadn't been looking to leave.

I think the Martin hire was a good one - still do on paper. It wasn't clear that he was the equivalent of Sonny Dykes until the last half of his last year. Mizzu off to a bad start so one wonders if Jones and him will be on the beach. Meanwhile the Vols are doing great.

I do think, however, that as option E Jones was horrible. For the $$ we paid Turner CLEARLY would have been the better hire. Sure, UCI. But if you were going cheap it would have made all the sense in the world. THis is a dumpster fire.
BeachedBear
socaltownie said:

I do think, however, that as option E Jones was horrible. For the $$ we paid Turner CLEARLY would have been the better hire. Sure, UCI. But if you were going cheap it would have made all the sense in the world. THis is a dumpster fire.

I'm not certain that Turner wasn't option C and passed on us. And that is really the important part of where we were at when Martin left. There weren't many coaches that would want to take a tough gig where their boss and boss's boss were going to be replaced by years end.
socaltownie
BeachedBear said:

socaltownie said:

I'm not certain that Turner wasn't option C and passed on us. And that is really the important part of where we were at when Martin left. There weren't many coaches that would want to take a tough gig where their boss and boss's boss were going to be replaced by years end.
Could be but I am holding out that 99% of coaches at a gig like UCI are saying "yes!" unless monty was down on us to all his coaching tree.
OdontoBear66
SFCityBear said:

calgo430 said:

I think this is fantasy. What has Jason Kidd done to deserve to be considered for the Cal Head Coach job?

He was a very good player for Cal, but other than that and a fine NBA playing career, his resume for coaching in college is very thin, if it even exists. As an NBA coach over five seasons, he had a losing record. In three trips to the playoffs, he had a losing record. He has no experience coaching college players or recruiting high school players as a college assistant coach. He has never been a college head coach. Besides that, Cal would likely not hire him, because he comes with some baggage of off court behavior. If they can fire an assistant coach for merely making suggestive advances to a reporter, they won't likely hire Jason Kidd.

Cal is a mess right now. They have an inexperienced coach, whose team of undersized youngsters who play well to open games, get in trouble, and revert to the way they played in high school. I think the best way to turn this ship around is to bring in a coach who has experience turning ships around. Maybe he has to be a firebrand like Bobby Knight was(Cal wouldn't hire him either. He's not an elitist or a yes man, and he's too politically incorrect, plus he is too old). Jones knows good personnel, and he has recruited decently to fill some holes. I think he knows what good offense is, because Cal looked good in the Hampton game, and has looked good in short stretches. But so far he can't get full cooperation from his players, and I think it is a combination of him being a nice guy and his players being young and easily rattled, so that they revert to what they were, the star and go-to guy on their high school team. Jones can't solve the rebounding issue, because he has no height capable of playing yet.. And he can't solve the players' lack of fundamentals overnight. I takes years to develop good fundamentals. He could do a better job recruiting more fundamentally sound players, but those are harder to find. In the Bay Area, most of them are now playing for St Mary's and USF.
SF City Bear: Maybe right, maybe wrong. I am also a big fan of G'town having a WSOC player there and follow their BB program. Ewing in the same amount of time as WJ has done wonders. He is moving forward as Wilcox is doing, advancing the program on the court and in recruiting. His three frosh recruits LeBlanc, Akinjo, and MacClung are fitting in nicely and moving his first recruiting class to the bench. He was considered by G'town alums just the same as you echo on Kidd, and he did not even have as good a resume'.
DavisBear
I was driving home from a holiday party last night and listened to a chunk of the game. It sounded like we were not prepared and guys were not even going hard. I turned it off after a USF free throw where we didn't even bother to block out and USF got the rebound.

I normally fall in the camp of giving the coach time to get his players/systems in place. However, I have just not seen any improvement this year and I don't feel that this team has an identity. Attendance is going to be terrible this year. I just think at this point Knowlton just needs to pull the plug on Wyking and find a new coach for next season. This was just a bad hire and it's clear that it's not working. We were totally outclassed by a much better coached USF team. We can get a better coach and turn this around, I just don't see any hope under Wyking.
UrsaMajor
SFCityBear said:

calgo430 said:

As usual, I agree 100%, SFCity, although I doubt a Bobby Knight type can work anymore (especially at a place like Cal); that kind of discipline is hard for today's prima donna players who've been coddled in the AAU circuit since they were in diapers.

I really like the game that USF was playing--movement heavy offense with players "passing up the good shot for a great shot." Solid defense (both man and zone) with a lot of communication. Smith seems to know what he's doing. We need a coach with solid skill at teaching fundamentals, not just a splashy name.
OdontoBear66
DavisBear said:

I was driving home from a holiday party last night and listened to a chunk of the game. It sounded like we were not prepared and guys were not even going hard. I turned it off after a USF free throw where we didn't even bother to block out and USF got the rebound.

I normally fall in the camp of giving the coach time to get his players/systems in place. However, I have just not seen any improvement this year and I don't feel that this team has an identity. Attendance is going to be terrible this year. I just think at this point Knowlton just needs to pull the plug on Wyking and find a new coach for next season. This was just a bad hire and it's clear that it's not working. We were totally outclassed by a much better coached USF team. We can get a better coach and turn this around, I just don't see any hope under Wyking.
The biggest thing that may help this along is the business side of the game, which normally I wouldn't like determining the fate of the team. But, if there are no fannies in the seats, Knowlton will have to do something, and it can be easily exemplified.
Golden One
SFCityBear said:

calgo430 said:

Pretty sad that we can't out recruit St. Mary's and USF.
HearstMining
It's not that we couldn't out-recruit them, it's probably that we didn't try. Cuonzo wanted guys who could "take it to the rack", and it looked like only a couple of USF players could play that style (Minlend being an exception).
bearister
SFCityBear said:

... What has Jason Kidd done to deserve to be considered for the Cal Head Coach job? ......

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

SFCityBear said:

calgo430 said:

As usual, I agree 100%, SFCity, although I doubt a Bobby Knight type can work anymore (especially at a place like Cal); that kind of discipline is hard for today's prima donna players who've been coddled in the AAU circuit since they were in diapers.

I really like the game that USF was playing--movement heavy offense with players "passing up the good shot for a great shot." Solid defense (both man and zone) with a lot of communication. Smith seems to know what he's doing. We need a coach with solid skill at teaching fundamentals, not just a splashy name.
The Bobby Knight comment was sort of tongue in cheek. Hell, the Bobby Knight type didn't work any more when he was coaching, except that it did (for him). I don't know how he kept his job and kept having success. Newell was a similar disciplinarian - tough love, I think it is called. Many of Knight's players respected him, revered him for years after they graduated, as he did them. What I usually turn to when all else fails is discipline, and this current team needs that, iMO. It is ironic that the disciplinary coaches were successful in an era where set play patterns were the norm for every team. There were few individual decisions made by players on the floor. Newell didn't need timeouts, because his players were so well drilled, they could run plays in their sleep. And it was Knight who maybe invented or at least refined the motion offense, with Newell's help). It is an offense where players make lots of decisions on the floor, and they often make the wrong ones, which requires a lot of hands on coaching during the game by the coaches. With Cal, It seems to me with that much going wrong, it is a team that cries out for either more defined plays or even patterns to reduce the decisions the players have to make, or more discipline from the coach, not to mention the modern prima donna players need to be taken down a peg or two, either of their own volition or a strong-willed coach, to get them to play together as a unit. One for all, all for one, to speak.

The thing that is bugging me about this whole fire Wyking discussion, is that Cal is still a bunch of kids and the coach is a sophomore this year. We start two sophs and two freshmen. Both of the sophs are playing a different position this season. The only junior starter is a transfer who is new to this team,.coach and conference, Meanwhile USF started two seniors, two juniors, and a redshirt sophomore. Every USF player has been in Smith's program for two full seasons. The players know his system and have had two years of success running it. And Smith has had several years of success at another school already. The USF game was like the men against the boys. Not to mention the big height advantage for USF.

What I don't like is seeing Cal players give less than full effort, as others had described. I hope they are not givng up. They did that last year after the Wichita State game, and when VCU softened them up, Chaminade put the nail in the coffin, and the season was lost. I hope Wyking can get hold of them and get a couple of wins soon. There are a couple of teams coming up that Cal can beat, and I hope we do, to get something positive going, or this will snowball like last season.
Yogi Bear
socaltownie said:

Travis would have been a FAR better hire.
I would have been a far better hire. And I don't have any experience, but at least I'd know to get someone who knows what they're doing to run my offense and defense.

They could still get DeCuire if they wanted. He went to the kind of place that unproven assistants should go for their first coaching job. If he'd been a better recruiter for us, then maybe he'd have been worth taking a chance on. Still lots of guys that are more proven that would have coached for not much more than what Wyking's making now if we wanted to be cheap, but we decided to be both cheap and lazy.. It was a John Kassar move to hire Wyking.
calbear80
Yogi Bear said:

socaltownie said:

Travis would have been a FAR better hire.
I would have been a far better hire. And I don't have any experience, but at least I'd know to get someone who knows what they're doing to run my offense and defense.

They could still get DeCuire if they wanted. He went to the kind of place that unproven assistants should go for their first coaching job. If he'd been a better recruiter for us, then maybe he'd have been worth taking a chance on. Still lots of guys that are more proven that would have coached for not much more than what Wyking's making now if we wanted to be cheap, but we

(NO, NO, NO, NOT WE, MIKE WILLIAMS)

decided to be both cheap and lazy.. It was a John Kassar move to hire Wyking.

PLEASE do not blame "we" for hiring this guy. Put the blame where it belongs: Mike Williams.

National publications rated Mike Williams' hiring of this guy as the worst hire by any major school, even lower than the hire by Akron Zips (yes, lower than Akron Zips!).

Most of the fans and alums objected every way they could. Some major doners cancelled their donations and purchase of large number of high-priced season tickets.

But, Mike Williams hired this guy and Dirks did not know any better and/or did not care because he was on his way out.

That is why I call this guy The Guy Mike Williams Hired As MBB "coach".

However, we can fix this mess.

Time For Change Is Now!

Go Bears!
RedlessWardrobe
SFCityBear said:

calgo430 said:

SF City, I usually respect your comments, but you discredited yourself on this one - J Kidd had a "FINE nba playing career". Slightly understated?
UrsaMajor
RedlessWardrobe said:

SFCityBear said:

calgo430 said:

SF City, I usually respect your comments, but you discredited yourself on this one - J Kidd had a "FINE nba playing career". Slightly understated?
Yes, but even a HOF playing career doesn't necessarily translate into being a good college coach.
TheSouseFamily
This is true. Just look at Chris Mullin and Danny Manning. They have 7 complete seasons between the two and only 1 winning season. Both are on the proverbial hot seat.
Page 4 of 5

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.