Can Someone Please Explain?

1,879 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Yogi58
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I missed the UCLA game, and after reading all the posts, I have two questions:

Why did Wyking Jones decide to start five reserves off the bench, instead of the usual starters, especially knowing that arguably the team's most important player, Paris Austin, was hurt and unable to play? Seems like a quite a lot to ask of the reserves to try and be competitive without Austin.

How did Both Kelly and Harris-Dyson foul out of the game, while playing only 11 minutes each? Very unusual. I don't think I've seen something like that before.
SFCityBear
stu
The game is being replayed right now, at least on Dish.
SFCityBear
stu said:

The game is being replayed right now, at least on Dish.
Thanks Stu.
SFCityBear
oskidunker
Probably trying to send a message that the starters need to play better defense. Worked for a while but in the end defense was bad again. Plus Bradley, Vanover and Antevich have started before. Dyson plays better defense than anyone else, although he still can't shoot, and everyone knows it. Left him wide open for a three and he missed the rim.
Go Bears!
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

Probably trying to send a message that the starters need to play better defense. Worked for a while but in the end defense was bad again. Plus Bradley, Vanover and Antevich have started before. Dyson plays better defense than anyone else, although he still can't shoot, and everyone knows it. Left him wide open for a three and he missed the rim.
Another thing that troubles me about JHD is that in the games I have seen, he seems to dispute or at least be demonstrative nearly every time he gets called for a foul. Maybe he thinks he is as good as Labron James or something. He is supposed to be our best defender. So he should know when he is committing a foul and when he is not. This is his second year, so he should be able to keep himself from fouling out, and there is no excuse for fouling out in only 11 minutes. Maybe he personally offended a ref.
SFCityBear
Big C
SFCityBear said:

Why did Wyking Jones decide to start five reserves off the bench, instead of the usual starters, especially knowing that arguably the team's most important player, Paris Austin, was hurt and unable to play? Seems like a quite a lot to ask of the reserves to try and be competitive without Austin.

How did Both Kelly and Harris-Dyson foul out of the game, while playing only 11 minutes each? Very unusual. I don't think I've seen something like that before.
Perusing this board, Jones got the idea that he could use playing time and starting assignments as a tool to motivate his players. What a concept! ("Lou Campanelli Basketball 101")
RedlessWardrobe
Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

Perusing this board, Jones got the idea that he could use playing time and starting assignments as a tool to motivate his players. What a concept! ("Lou Campanelli Basketball 101")
FWIW, starting the 5 guys on Saturday wasn't that big of a deal. They actually held their own. People sometimes get really hung up on who starts, and when you looked at the minute distribution of the team things were pretty normal, except for the JHD/Kelly issue.
calbear70
Wykung Jones is a bad coach. He does not know what he is doing. I am certain several of the players will transfer after this season. There is no hope for the future. I judge coaches by the progress the team makes throughout the season. Last year the team actually regressed they were worse at the end of the year. They are going the same way this year. Get rid of Jones ASAP. Yes NOW !!
UrsaMajor
calbear70 said:

Wykung Jones is a bad coach. He does not know what he is doing. I am certain several of the players will transfer after this season. There is no hope for the future. I judge coaches by the progress the team makes throughout the season. Last year the team actually regressed they were worse at the end of the year. They are going the same way this year. Get rid of Jones ASAP. Yes NOW !!
I assume that "certainty" is based on intimate inside knowledge...
Yogi58
UrsaMajor said:

calbear70 said:

I assume that "certainty" is based on intimate inside knowledge...
Not everybody name drops Jim Knowlton's name every other post
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.