John Ricksen Chosen for Newell Award

1,135 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
EricBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Wonderful choice.

John Ricksen Chosen For Newell Award
Cal Hall of Famer To Be Honored At Cal-Utah Game

BERKELEY John Ricksen, a member of the Cal Athletic Hall of Fame who starred on the basketball and tennis courts for the Golden Bears before going on to a long law career, is the 2018-19 recipient of the Pete Newell Career Achievement Award. The presentation will take place during halftime of Cal's home game against Utah on Saturday, Jan. 26 at Haas Pavilion in the ninth annual Pete Newell Classic.

The contest honors the legacy of Cal's Hall of Fame basketball coach and the contributions Newell made to Cal basketball. The Career Achievement Award is presented to a Cal men's basketball alumnus who has distinguished himself in his career accomplishments, upholding the highest ideals of Coach Newell and the University of California.

In addition to the Newell Award, the Bears' 1959 NCAA champion men's basketball team will also be recognized at halftime at the Cal-Utah game.

"I am grateful, humbled and very honored to receive this award," Ricksen said. "It is a double honor because the ceremony will be on the same day that the 60th anniversary of the 1959 NCAA Championship team will be recognized. My brother was an assistant coach for the team, so I was around all of those players and have gotten to know them well. I feel very lucky to be a part of a great day."

Ricksen attended Berkeley High School before enrolling at Cal with his twin brother, Rupe, and the duo excelled in two sports for the Golden Bears. In basketball, John earned letters in 1951, '52 and '53, earning first-team PCC All-Southern Division honors as a senior co-captain when Cal finished 15-10 overall and won the Southern Division title. John and Rupe were also co-recipients of Cal's Jake Gimbel Award, which is given annually for excellence in athletics and academics.

On the tennis courts, John reached the NCAA quarterfinals in singles as a senior in 1953. As a doubles team, the Ricksen brothers were NCAA semifinalists in 1951 and quarterfinalists in 1952 and '53. They also won the 1952 Doubles Heart of America tournament and the 1953 Eastern Intercollegiate title.

After earning his degree, Ricksen remained at Cal for a year when he helped coach the freshman basketball team. He then served two years in the U.S. Army before returning to the Bay Area and graduating from the Hastings College of Law in 1959.

Ricksen soon joined Wallace Knox's law firm and worked with him until a merger with his Ricksen's father's firm, continuing with the company known as Knox Ricksen until he retired in 2017. He specialized in the areas of tax, estate planning, wills and trusts, probate, and trust and estate administration.

Ricksen has also remained involved with Cal and Cal Athletics for many years. He served as president of the Big C Society in 1978 and is a longtime member of the Big C Executive Committee and Board of Directors. In 1997, John and Rupe were co-recipients of the Bear of the Year award from Cal Athletics, while the brothers were inducted into the Cal Athletic Hall of Fame in 1999.

About Pete Newell

Pete Newell served as Cal's basketball coach from 1954-60, guiding the Bears to the 1959 NCAA Championship and a national runner-up finish in 1960, the same season he was voted the national coach of the year. Cal also reached the NCAA regional final in 1957 and '58 under his leadership. Overall, he led the Bears to four consecutive conference titles (1957-60) while compiling a 119-44 record. Newell coached the 1960 U.S. Olympic team to a gold medal at the Rome Olympics and later served as Cal's Director of Athletics from 1960-68.

Newell was inducted into the Cal Athletic Hall of Fame in 1987 and into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame a year later. The entire 1960 Olympic team, which included former Golden Bear Darrall Imhoff in addition to Newell as head coach, was enshrined into the Naismith Hall of Fame in 2010. Newell also earned entry into the FIBA International Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.

Newell, who was born on Aug. 31, 1915, passed away on Nov. 17, 2008.

Previous Pete Newell Career Achievement Award Recipients

2010-11 Al Buch
2011-12 Earl Robinson
2012-13 Andy Wolfe
2013-14 Earl Shultz
2014-15 Russ Critchfield
2015-16 Michael Pitts
2016-17 Stan Morrison
2017-18 Ned Averbuck
SFCityBear
EricBear said:

Wonderful choice.

John Ricksen Chosen For Newell Award
Cal Hall of Famer To Be Honored At Cal-Utah Game

BERKELEY John Ricksen, a member of the Cal Athletic Hall of Fame who starred on the basketball and tennis courts for the Golden Bears before going on to a long law career, is the 2018-19 recipient of the Pete Newell Career Achievement Award. The presentation will take place during halftime of Cal's home game against Utah on Saturday, Jan. 26 at Haas Pavilion in the ninth annual Pete Newell Classic.

The contest honors the legacy of Cal's Hall of Fame basketball coach and the contributions Newell made to Cal basketball. The Career Achievement Award is presented to a Cal men's basketball alumnus who has distinguished himself in his career accomplishments, upholding the highest ideals of Coach Newell and the University of California.

In addition to the Newell Award, the Bears' 1959 NCAA champion men's basketball team will also be recognized at halftime at the Cal-Utah game.

"I am grateful, humbled and very honored to receive this award," Ricksen said. "It is a double honor because the ceremony will be on the same day that the 60th anniversary of the 1959 NCAA Championship team will be recognized. My brother was an assistant coach for the team, so I was around all of those players and have gotten to know them well. I feel very lucky to be a part of a great day."

Ricksen attended Berkeley High School before enrolling at Cal with his twin brother, Rupe, and the duo excelled in two sports for the Golden Bears. In basketball, John earned letters in 1951, '52 and '53, earning first-team PCC All-Southern Division honors as a senior co-captain when Cal finished 15-10 overall and won the Southern Division title. John and Rupe were also co-recipients of Cal's Jake Gimbel Award, which is given annually for excellence in athletics and academics.

On the tennis courts, John reached the NCAA quarterfinals in singles as a senior in 1953. As a doubles team, the Ricksen brothers were NCAA semifinalists in 1951 and quarterfinalists in 1952 and '53. They also won the 1952 Doubles Heart of America tournament and the 1953 Eastern Intercollegiate title.

After earning his degree, Ricksen remained at Cal for a year when he helped coach the freshman basketball team. He then served two years in the U.S. Army before returning to the Bay Area and graduating from the Hastings College of Law in 1959.

Ricksen soon joined Wallace Knox's law firm and worked with him until a merger with his Ricksen's father's firm, continuing with the company known as Knox Ricksen until he retired in 2017. He specialized in the areas of tax, estate planning, wills and trusts, probate, and trust and estate administration.

Ricksen has also remained involved with Cal and Cal Athletics for many years. He served as president of the Big C Society in 1978 and is a longtime member of the Big C Executive Committee and Board of Directors. In 1997, John and Rupe were co-recipients of the Bear of the Year award from Cal Athletics, while the brothers were inducted into the Cal Athletic Hall of Fame in 1999.

About Pete Newell

Pete Newell served as Cal's basketball coach from 1954-60, guiding the Bears to the 1959 NCAA Championship and a national runner-up finish in 1960, the same season he was voted the national coach of the year. Cal also reached the NCAA regional final in 1957 and '58 under his leadership. Overall, he led the Bears to four consecutive conference titles (1957-60) while compiling a 119-44 record. Newell coached the 1960 U.S. Olympic team to a gold medal at the Rome Olympics and later served as Cal's Director of Athletics from 1960-68.

Newell was inducted into the Cal Athletic Hall of Fame in 1987 and into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame a year later. The entire 1960 Olympic team, which included former Golden Bear Darrall Imhoff in addition to Newell as head coach, was enshrined into the Naismith Hall of Fame in 2010. Newell also earned entry into the FIBA International Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.

Newell, who was born on Aug. 31, 1915, passed away on Nov. 17, 2008.

Previous Pete Newell Career Achievement Award Recipients

2010-11 Al Buch
2011-12 Earl Robinson
2012-13 Andy Wolfe
2013-14 Earl Shultz
2014-15 Russ Critchfield
2015-16 Michael Pitts
2016-17 Stan Morrison
2017-18 Ned Averbuck
Great stuff, Eric. Thanks for posting.
SFCityBear
bearister
Only worked with him from when I was 24 to age 61. HE IS THE BEST!

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.