This Coach's 12 Game Losing Streak Will End On Thursday Unless Jim Knowlton Is Sleep

5,184 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MiZery
calbear80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
helltopay1
Dear 80: Please don't fib: You DO NOT want Cal to beat WSU next week. Your tirade is bolstered every time Cal loses---your tirade suffers with every Cal win. So--please be consistent. Consistency bolsters sincerity. you are welcome.
calbear80
panda
You know, people in the Fire Wyking camp arent a bunch of anarchist who don't want Cal to win. We want Wyking to prove us wrong because if he does, it means we are winning.

Reality is we are not winning. Not sure why it's so hard for those of you defending Wyking still to realize the guy is not cut out to be our coach. This team is getting destroyed badly.

The better question is if you're are still defending the guy as our coach even though we are losing, do you want Cal to win? Because it sure as hell does not seem like it.
calbear80
Northside91
The AD won't decide crap on Thursday. Cal won't fire a basketball coach mid-season unless he says bad words that hurt Jason Kidd's ears. Jason Kidd isn't on the current roster and hasn't been seen at Haas for some time. There are other obstacles to overcome here, but suffice it to say that your AD will do nothing on Thursday, regardless the outcome of the game.
oskidunker
He would do it before wsu, not after
Go Bears!
calbear80
oskidunker
No. Guess
Go Bears!
bearister
helltopay1 said:

...Your tirade is bolstered every time Cal loses---your tirade suffers with every Cal win....

I wish it was suffering more.
BALIZLYF
I'm still rooting for this team. There's some grit and talent on the floor that deserves our appreciation and audience.

That said, Wyking has openly expressed his understanding he will not return next year. That is horrible for recruiting, morale and talent retention.

I very much hope the administration has a coach in mind, a powerhouse who will bring a few recruits with him. I know the hunger for funding this hire is growing. (Have heard the stomachs of $ rumbling for months.) War chest time, Jim? Pick a winner and go out and raise the money to bring him here.
oskidunker

That said, Wyking has openly expressed his understanding he will not return next year. That is horrible for recruiting, morale and talent retention.

When did he do this?....
Go Bears!
bearister
Hey, Ben Braun's first season he brought in Gino Carlisle and James Kilgore and we were competitive as Hell. It ain't rocket science.
Northside91
bearister said:

Hey, Ben Braun's first season he brought in Gino Carlisle and James Kilgore and we were competitive as Hell. It ain't rocket science.

Thomas Kilgore. That was year 2 with Gill, as well. Not a great team, but light years better than this.
Yogi58
bearister said:

National championship winning roster
EricBear
Staff
BALIZLYF said:

What is your support for this statement?
oskidunker
There appears to be no answer yet
Go Bears!
socaliganbear
I must've missed something.
EricBear
Staff
BALIZLYF, hopefully you will let us know today what the source is for your statement that Wyking has "openly expressed" his understanding that he won't be back next season (thereby giving you another point of criticism).

Much appreciated.
oskidunker
On the other hand a frend who was at a major donor luncheon with Knowlton were told he has no intention of firing Jones because he likes the recruiting class.

If this is the case we will not renew tickets. Hard to believe win loss makes no difference.

Arent all these rumors maddening?
Go Bears!
socaliganbear
oskidunker said:

On the other hand acfruend who was at a najor donor luncheon with Knowlton were told he has no intention of furing Jones because he likes the recruiting class.

If this is the case we will not renew tickets. Hard to believe win loss makes no difference.

This is the dumbest one yet.
oskidunker
It doesn't make alot of sense.
Go Bears!
EricBear
Staff
oskidunker said:

On the other hand a frend who was at a major donor luncheon with Knowlton were told he has no intention of firing Jones because he likes the recruiting class.

Not really. To some extent, rumors are the lifeblood of fan sites like BI. Take this rumor, for example. You identified a source (friend), event (major donor luncheon) and an attributable statement (Knowlton saying he has no intention of firing Jones). I don't know if any of these things actually happened because I wasn't there. But people can debate the pros and cons of the purported statement and Knowlton's apparent position at this particular luncheon, and maybe even add some flavor to what they have heard. Makes for interesting discussion.

Contrast that to a rumor that Wyking has "openly expressed" that he won't be here next year, followed by criticism of how such a statement does further harm to the program. I feel I am pretty close to this basketball team. I have never heard any such thing. Maybe BALIZLYF has better sources and information and can credibly tell us how he came about this information which allowed him to further denigrate the Coach.

If such a statement were actually expressed "openly" by Wyking Jones, I'd like to know a little bit about it. As you can imagine, I don't think it happened.
RedlessWardrobe
EricBear, your presence on these boards is the one thing that helps me keep my sanity when reading this garbage. Its amazing how many of these ridiculous statements, i.e.Wyking "openly expressed" not returning next year, make their way on to these boards without a shred of evidence to back them up.

Next time somebody posts something like that they should be called out to back it up with fact, or else they should STFU.
calbear70
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the players Jones recruits. They all seem to be perimeter players. None of them play defense and none of them want to rebound. For the most part they want to stay on the perimeter and shoot 3 s. Ben Braun tight rebounding and defense as did Montgomery. I am not sure what if anything Jones is teaching?
BeachedBear
panda said:

You know, people in the Fire Wyking camp arent a bunch of anarchist who don't want Cal to win. We want Wyking to prove us wrong because if he does, it means we are winning.

Reality is we are not winning. Not sure why it's so hard for those of you defending Wyking still to realize the guy is not cut out to be our coach. This team is getting destroyed badly.

The better question is if you're are still defending the guy as our coach even though we are losing, do you want Cal to win? Because it sure as hell does not seem like it.
I don't think there is anyone left defending Jones. The discussion seems to be when to make the change, whether Jones is aware of he will be replaced and if he has stated that openly. In fact, the WHEN discussion has shifted from end of this season vs end of contract to which week.

For the record, my guesses are early April, yes and no.
Big C
calbear70 said:

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the players Jones recruits. They all seem to be perimeter players. None of them play defense and none of them want to rebound. For the most part they want to stay on the perimeter and shoot 3 s. Ben Braun tight rebounding and defense as did Montgomery. I am not sure what if anything Jones is teaching?
Yesterday evening, on the thread you started (the redundant one), you wrote that you were "now officially ignoring Cal Basketball for the season". And yet, here you are again. Why are you not a man of your word?
oskidunker
Maybe he has decided just to not go to games. Not alone.
Go Bears!
Big C
Then that's what he shoulda said, because he got my hopes up. Others, too, no doubt. (and my hopes regarding everything Cal Basketball are already down enough lately)
KoreAmBear
bearister said:

Year 1 was an incoming coach's dream -- upper classmen who knew how to play as a team. Ben did his best coaching job in 1996-1997 for sure, but we were solid -- Ed Gray, Randy Duck, Tony G, Kiwi, Kenyon Jones, Yogi, Anwar McQueen, Prentice McGruder, Sean Jackson (who rarely played but became a star at UCI), Grigsby (hey we retired his jersey). Great team. Our last Sweet 16 which is immensely sad.
oskidunker
A possibility is we don't have the money to buy out Jones and hire someone else. Especially since Knowlton is committed to reducing the debt. Also maybe he can find anyone better that wants to come here.

I wonder if performance is even a factor.
Go Bears!
Northside91
oskidunker said:

A possibility is we don't have the money to buy out Jones and hire someone else. Especially since Knowlton is committed to reducing the debt. Also maybe he can find anyone better that wants to come here.

I wonder if performance is even a factor.

So I guess the program isn't worth a $3M hit, if this is the reasoning. Why not just kill it off now? Sure, you still have to pay off the coach, but your operating costs are reduced and you don't have to worry about compensating the season ticket holders who have no guarantees. Just kill it, downsize the arena to accommodate the ~150 fans who attend WBB games and repurpose the rest of the building.
Cal8285
calbear80 said:

Dear helltopay1, I really really want Cal to win each and every game. I watched the game last night on TV hoping Cal would be competitive and somehow pull it at the end (remember the last second shot five years ago when we beat #1 and undefeated U of A?). Last night, you were there at the game and know that it was not pretty (does Cal even pretend to play D?).

I really think we have a chance against WSU on Thursday because WSU is a bad team and Ernie Kent is not a good coach. It is one of our best chances to win this year. Let us hope.

Go Bears, Beat the Cougs!
WSU this Thursday is our second best chance to win a conference game this year. The best chance is WSU at home. Haslametrics has WSU at 220, KenPom at 200, Sagarin at 190. They are bad. The Pac-12 almost never has a team in the 200's of any ratings. Of course, Cal is worse, but not in any meaningful way, Haslametrics 234, KenPom 230, Sagarin 197. Close enough to WSU so that Cal would be a slight favorite at Haas if played today.

If we can win this Thursday, then our chances of a 2 win conference season are decent, since we get WSU at home, too. There are no other games on the conference schedule where I like our chances.

Go Bears!! Beat the Cougs!! Twice!!
Big C
Cal8285 said:

calbear80 said:

Dear helltopay1, I really really want Cal to win each and every game. I watched the game last night on TV hoping Cal would be competitive and somehow pull it at the end (remember the last second shot five years ago when we beat #1 and undefeated U of A?). Last night, you were there at the game and know that it was not pretty (does Cal even pretend to play D?).

I really think we have a chance against WSU on Thursday because WSU is a bad team and Ernie Kent is not a good coach. It is one of our best chances to win this year. Let us hope.

Go Bears, Beat the Cougs!
WSU this Thursday is our second best chance to win a conference game this year. The best chance is WSU at home. Haslametrics has WSU at 220, KenPom at 200, Sagarin at 190. They are bad. The Pac-12 almost never has a team in the 200's of any ratings. Of course, Cal is worse, but not in any meaningful way, Haslametrics 234, KenPom 230, Sagarin 197. Close enough to WSU so that Cal would be a slight favorite at Haas if played today.

If we can win this Thursday, then our chances of a 2 win conference season are decent, since we get WSU at home, too. There are no other games on the conference schedule where I like our chances.

Go Bears!! Beat the Cougs!! Twice!!
While we won't be favored in any of those twelve games, I'd think we could pick off one or two or three, just because, out of twelve games, there are bound to be a few in which we're shooting well and the other team isn't.
EricBear
Staff
EricBear said:

BALIZLYF, hopefully you will let us know today what the source is for your statement that Wyking has "openly expressed" his understanding that he won't be back next season (thereby giving you another point of criticism).

Much appreciated.

Still waiting. Can I get a little help here? Want to try to flesh this one out. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.