Next Year Player Recruit Question

2,430 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Big C
RedlessWardrobe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know we already have 3 commits, do we have another spot open or does it require a transfer?

And if so, what player out there fills the needs of a big man type who can rebound and defend the interior? Of all our weaknesses this is our most obvious. (And please don't bring up the coaching issue)
parentswerebears
If I understand it, we have room for a Grad transfer, but anything else would further mess up class balance.
LOUMFSG2
RedlessWardrobe said:

I know we already have 3 commits, do we have another spot open or does it require a transfer?

And if so, what player out there fills the needs of a big man type who can rebound and defend the interior? Of all our weaknesses this is our most obvious. (And please don't bring up the coaching issue)
Actually, I believe we have 10 scholarship players on the roster this year, all with eligibility remaining, so the 3 commitments we have fill up the existing slots for next year.

Roman Davis may graduate this year, and there is speculation that he will not be back next year, which would open up the slot for a grad transfer or other addition.
helltopay1
let us not put the cart before thge horse. If WJ leaves, it is highly likely none of the recruits follow through with their commitment. This is the reality today. Unlike Stanford, Cal is not a destination.
oskidunker
There is no dominant Big Man coming next year. the recruits coming will not fix the problem of interior defense.

Plus 1 recruit has sustained a major injury not allowing him
To play his last year in high school. So we have another Gordon, who will likely not be close to100% when he gets here. And he is the 6"8 guy. Sorry cant recall his name.
Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
LOUMFSG2 said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Actually, I believe we have 10 scholarship players on the roster this year, all with eligibility remaining, so the 3 commitments we have fill up the existing slots for next year.

Roman Davis may graduate this year, and there is speculation that he will not be back next year, which would open up the slot for a grad transfer or other addition.
It's mind boggling that Roman can theoretically come back next season. He's been with the program 10 years, no?
RedlessWardrobe
helltopay1 said:

let us not put the cart before thge horse. If WJ leaves, it is highly likely none of the recruits follow through with their commitment. This is the reality today. Unlike Stanford, Cal is not a destination.
I guess that when I posted "please don't bring up the coaching issue" it was asking too much to be followed.
EricBear
Staff
oskidunker said:

There is no dominant Big Man coming next year. the recruits coming will not fix the problem of interior defense.

Plus 1 recruit has sustained a major injury not allowing him
To play his last year in high school. So we have another Gordon, who will likely not be close to100% when he gets here. And he is the 6"8 guy. Sorry cant recall his name.

Guys, please help me maintain some mimimum level of sanity here.

His name is DJ Thorpe. And this is an overly pessimistic and not entirely accurate summary of my reporting about his injury (which I observed first-hand when I was watching him in TX in November) on the Premium Board.
Big C
This is Roman Davis' 4th year in the program. Though he is a redshirt junior, his scholarship will likely open up. Personally, I don't think anybody is "owed" a 5th year. Hopefully, he graduates.

In the off-season, when grad transfers were being discussed, I seem to remember one that would have been eligible this winter and maybe one that would be eligible for next season. Bigs are more likely to redshirt their freshman year, so somebody being available is quite possible, but they will need the academics to get into a grad program here. If anybody wants to research this, the place to start would be the Ivies and the other better schools (Vandy, NW, etc). Does Duke have anybody on schollie that never got much PT there? (sort of like a Jamal Boykin, but a grad-transfer)

BTW, our big for next year, DJ Thorpe, is recovering from damaged ankle tendons (no surgery) and should be good to fully work out again by the spring. Nothing as serious as Gordon's injury. One slight problem is that he's not too, too big (6'8"). Edit: Thanks Eric!

KenBurnski
I'm just glad I finally realized that Roman Davis and Stephen Domingo are different guys. They sort of blur together for me for some reason.
oskidunker
Vanover
already seems like a better three shooter then Verneisel ever was. That's something positive,
Go Bears!
EricBear
Staff
oskidunker said:

Anover already seems like a better three shooter then Verneisel ever was. That's something positive,

"Vanover."
59bear
oskidunker said:

Vanover
already seems like a better three shooter then Verneisel ever was. That's something positive,
I'm kind of intrigued by the possibilities I see for Vanover to develop into a pretty effective big for us. In the games I've seen, admittedly only bits and pieces, he looks to have made great strides over his performance in the early part of the season. He is still very much a work in progress as a defender/rebounder but Monty seems to think he is capable of significant growth in those areas and he has a rep as a developer of big men.
SFCityBear
RedlessWardrobe said:

helltopay1 said:

I guess that when I posted "please don't bring up the coaching issue" it was asking too much to be followed.
We are a stubborn group.
SFCityBear
bearister
EricBear said:

oskidunker said:

Anover already seems like a better three shooter then Verneisel ever was. That's something positive,

"Vanover."

The quote function on this board effectively blocked oskidunker from engaging in Soviet style revisionist history. His original error is now frozen in time for all to see (unless of course you use the edit function on his quote and engage in revisionist history yourself). I think this is hurting my head.
KenBurnski
I'm still recovering from the revelation that thread titles can be edited (until someone other than OP posts in the thread). What a strange and exciting world.
oskidunker
I thought calbear 80 was in Spain

https://www.google.com/search?q=anover
Go Bears!
Big C
I think calbear80 is the elaborately planned alter-ego of somebody else that posts here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.