Jones - just shaking my head (SFgate article)

3,957 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bear19
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Wyking-Jones-using-tough-love-in-bid-to-inspire-13539817.php?t=2a5c1f952a

Seriously - I feel really bad. He is learning on the job. Do the players get lollypops for not using 2 hands to dribble?

Look - we were always going to be bad. But having experience in the top job is so important.
Northside91
socaltownie said:

https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Wyking-Jones-using-tough-love-in-bid-to-inspire-13539817.php?t=2a5c1f952a

Seriously - I feel really bad. He is learning on the job. Do the players get lollypops for not using 2 hands to dribble?

Look - we were always going to be bad. But having experience in the top job is so important.

Pretty ho-hum stuff from a head coach who's flaming out. I wouldn't expect him to be heavy on personal accountability, b/c that doesn't appear to be who he is. Hopefully, going forward, he keeps his comments to a minimum and just plays it out. Unfortunately, playing it out might include the remainder of this season and all of the next.
oskidunker
By now Lou Campanelli would be starting walk ons . Jones won't give them a chance. I bet they would play better defense, at least for a while.
Go Bears!
BearSD
As long as college athletes are still amateurs, motivating the athletes you are coaching is part of the job. A very substantial part of the job.

If you're the coach, and you can't get *any* of the players to play hard for you, then the problem is you.

EricBear
Staff
oskidunker said:

By now Lou Campanelli would be starting walk ons . Jones won't give them a chance. I bet they would play better defense, at least for a while.

Indeed he would be.

WSU trip will always remind me of when Lou stopped the bus on University Ave and kicked Rich Branham (and his bags) off on the sidewalk (for wearing an earring on the team bus). We were bewildered. Probably had something to do with defensive effort or something. Pretty sure we dropped both on that Washington trip, but who knows.
KoreAmBear
Northside91 said:

socaltownie said:

Pretty ho-hum stuff from a head coach who's flaming out. I wouldn't expect him to be heavy on personal accountability, b/c that doesn't appear to be who he is. Hopefully, going forward, he keeps his comments to a minimum and just plays it out. Unfortunately, playing it out might include the remainder of this season and all of the next.
There's absolutely no way an AD of a Pac-12 program like us can retain him past this year. But who knows, if we retain BB after what he did to the football team, we are capable of doing such things in all areas.
Cal8285
KoreAmBear said:

Northside91 said:

socaltownie said:

There's absolutely no way an AD of a Pac-12 program like us can retain him past this year. But who knows, if we retain BB after what he did to the football team, we are capable of doing such things in all areas.
What happened to the KoreAmBear who won MOC? Your first sentence is sufficiently optimistic. Your second sentence, however, is downright pessimistic and incredibly depressing.

I remember the days when, if at all possible, I would schedule any weekends away around Cal basketball. I would miss regular Thursday night obligations to attend conference home games. This year, I'm not bothering with Thursday night games and I'm missing at least one weekend game because I'm going to schedule departure and arrival for out of town trips at the most convenient times without regard to the Cal basketball schedule. I arrive at the conference games I do attend with no hope (although depending on what happens tonight, maybe I'll have hope vs. WSU) -- I attend wondering how interesting the train wreck will be to watch. And then if things are at least briefly competitive in the first half, I start to think maybe we can win. And then reality sets in.

I find hope in your first sentence, but you largely destroy that hope with your second. Sigh.
Yogi58
EricBear said:

oskidunker said:

Indeed he would be.

WSU trip will always remind me of when Lou stopped the bus on University Ave and kicked Rich Brahman (and his bags) off on the sidewalk (for wearing an earring on the Team bus). We were bewildered. Probably had something to do with defensive effort or something. Pretty sure we dropped both on that Washington trip, but who knows.
Reading your stories about Lou, I wish we'd fired him sooner. Sounds like a grade A *******.
SFCityBear
Yogi Bear said:

EricBear said:

oskidunker said:

Indeed he would be.

WSU trip will always remind me of when Lou stopped the bus on University Ave and kicked Rich Brahman (and his bags) off on the sidewalk (for wearing an earring on the Team bus). We were bewildered. Probably had something to do with defensive effort or something. Pretty sure we dropped both on that Washington trip, but who knows.
Reading your stories about Lou, I wish we'd fired him sooner. Sounds like a grade A *******.
As a fan, I loved Lou. But then I didn't have to play for him. (Apologies to Eric) I think I loved the song, "Louie, Louie," even more. The only thing I blame Lou for is hiring Bozeman, if he is the one who did it.
SFCityBear
oskidunker
Lou resurrected Cal basketball, installed an awesome defense and beat ucla for the first time in 25 years. Fire him sooner and Cal basketball would have never become a competitive program. Were you following Cal in 1986, Yogi? He is the reason I bought season tickets and still have them. Give him his due.

Yeah, he lost it at the end but the AD was not exactly a great guy or in any way competent .Bozeman recruited players Lou could not coach. Bozeman should have never been given the job.
Go Bears!
Yogi58
oskidunker said:

Lou resurrected Cal basketball, installed an awesome defense and beat ucla for the first time in 25 years. Fire him sooner and Cal basketball would have never become a competitive program. Were you following Cal in 1986, Yogi? He is the reason I bought season tickets and still have them. Give him his due.

Yeah, he lost it at the end but the AD was not exactly a great guy or in any way competent .Bozeman recruited players Lou could not coach. Bozeman should have never been given the job.
Yeah, I started following back then right before I came to school. I'm sure any number of good coaches would have been able to do what he did, but without the ceiling that Lou had because he couldn't coach offense at all and couldn't deal with the talented players you need to make a program work. IIRC, KJ and Chris Washington were recruited under the previous coach.
EricBear
Staff
oskidunker said:

I generally agree with this.
BeachedBear
oskidunker said:

Like Jones, Bozeman got an opportunity to coach that he was not yet prepared for. Unlike Jones, he had a couple players on the roster that carried the team on an INCREDIBLE run to finish the season (something like 10-1 to finish P10 play and head to Sweet 16). That run secured him the full time job, but Bozeman was not fully qualified to coach at that level. He was plus recruiter, actually had a pretty good staff and practices were well run, but he was a minus coach in terms of X's & O's IMHO. His scheme was basic, but solid (man defense, motion offense) - and works well with good recruiting (you see where this is going . . . ). He was out-coached a few games where his talent was not performing - particularly in the UWGB debacle, where they made Kidd try to beat them on his own and he couldn't. That game was the only time I saw Kidd frustrated and confused in college ( saw it again in Milwaukee on the bench).
KoreAmBear
Cal8285 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Northside91 said:

socaltownie said:

What happened to the KoreAmBear who won MOC? Your first sentence is sufficiently optimistic. Your second sentence, however, is downright pessimistic and incredibly depressing.

I remember the days when, if at all possible, I would schedule any weekends away around Cal basketball. I would miss regular Thursday night obligations to attend conference home games. This year, I'm not bothering with Thursday night games and I'm missing at least one weekend game because I'm going to schedule departure and arrival for out of town trips at the most convenient times without regard to the Cal basketball schedule. I arrive at the conference games I do attend with no hope (although depending on what happens tonight, maybe I'll have hope vs. WSU) -- I attend wondering how interesting the train wreck will be to watch. And then if things are at least briefly competitive in the first half, I start to think maybe we can win. And then reality sets in.

I find hope in your first sentence, but you largely destroy that hope with your second. Sigh.
@8285 all these decades of losing and feeling like we're cursed have beaten me down. And even when it looks like we have something special brewing (the defense in football) we seemingly have an all-time horrible offense. Then we have this debacle in men's basketball. Believe me, I want to be MOC again. Right now, that outfit has been put in the storage bin until I have reason to go get it.
KenBurnski
What does the C stand for in MOC?
Civil Bear
BeachedBear said:

His scheme was basic, but solid (man defense, motion offense)

IIRC, the Bozoman liked to switch up various defenses frequently and often trapped in the half court.
Cal8285
KoreAmBear said:

Cal8285 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Northside91 said:

socaltownie said:

@8285 all these decades of losing and feeling like we're cursed have beaten me down. And even when it looks like we have something special brewing (the defense in football) we seemingly have an all-time horrible offense. Then we have this debacle in men's basketball. Believe me, I want to be MOC again. Right now, that outfit has been put in the storage bin until I have reason to go get it.
Sorry that reality is getting you to feel like most of us die-hard fans.

As a Cal fan, my emotional side always hopes for the best and expects the worst, while also trying to be a realist. For this basketball season, however, I am just resigned to the worst. Just because weird things happen, the realist in me says we could win 1 or 2 conference games, but 0 seems a very strong possibility. And if we went 0-18 while being entertaining and players seeming to give max effort, I'd be OK with it. That's not happening.

This is my 45th year of following Cal football and basketball. That's 90 seasons between the two sports. This basketball season is easily the worst of the 90. If we had MOC for this basketball season, I don't think anybody could win, because nobody is optimistic. Maybe we could have a LPC (Least Pessimistic CyberBear), but not MOC.

I remain hopeful, however, that in a future season, you can remove your outfit from the storage bin.
BeachedBear
Civil Bear said:

BeachedBear said:

His scheme was basic, but solid (man defense, motion offense)

IIRC, the Bozoman liked to switch up various defenses frequently and often trapped in the half court.
He did, but even his zone D's were matchup zones focused on man principles. Most of his traps reverted to man when broken. At practice, his defensive focus was on fundamentals more than scheme. And as EricBear posted elsewhere, he was good person. I have my own ideas about his scandal and there is no forgiving such cheating.
Cal8285
KenBurnski said:

CyberBear, from the days when this site was CyberBears.org and when KoreAmBear deserved to (and was) voted by his fellow posters a Golden Oski Award for Most Optimistic CyberBear.
KenBurnski
Thanks
bearister
Cal8285 said:

KenBurnski said:

CyberBear, from the days when this site was CyberBears.org and when KoreAmBear deserved to (and was) voted by his fellow posters a Golden Oski Award for Most Optimistic CyberBear.

I think I cast my vote by mistake on the other cyberbears website. The winner was quite hirsute.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calbear80
EricBear said:

oskidunker said:

Yeah, he lost it at the end ....

+1
Bear19
calbear80 said:

EricBear said:

oskidunker said:

Yeah, he lost it at the end ....

+1
+1. Watching that last season was like watching a 20 car pile up on the freeway. Just couldn't look away regardless of the carnage.

This season, we're just waiting for the inevitable.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.