Would Ben Braun be willing to babysit this dumpster fire until the end of the season?

3,508 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wifeisafurd
Muncie42
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Three weeks ago, I thought that the AD would just be content to let WJ stay as HC until the end of the season. But now it appears as if the players have quit on him. A change should be made now to hopefully stop any further damage to the program.

Maybe Ben Braun would agree to come in and be the interim coach until season's end. Potential positives:
  • Braun is only 65 years old
  • He lives in Berkeley
  • He seems to have a real affinity toward Cal
  • He could give the existing roster some badly needed coaching and confidence heading into next season
  • He'd only have to work for 6-8 weeks
Thoughts?
SFCityBear
Muncie42 said:

Three weeks ago, I thought that the AD would just be content to let WJ stay as HC until the end of the season. But now it appears as if the players have quit on him. A change should be made now to hopefully stop any further damage to the program.

Maybe Ben Braun would agree to come in and be the interim coach until season's end. Potential positives:
  • He lives in Berkeley
  • He could give the existing roster some badly needed coaching and confidence heading into next season
Thoughts?
Please don't go there. Besides, he might like it and not want to leave. Been there, done that.
SFCityBear
ncbears
Doesn't Braun have a TV contract - not that he couldn't get out of it.
UCBerkGrad
Doesn't matter who we have to finish out the year. Hell, the mic man might as well be the coach.
Yogi58
UCBerkGrad said:

Doesn't matter who we have to finish out the year. Hell, the mic man might as well be the coach.
Might as well be Wyking.

I'm still not sure what it is people are hoping to salvage here. I think maybe they just don't trust that Cal is going to do what they obviously are going to do.
UCBerkGrad
Only reason to fire Wyking is to tell the world we are officially looking for a new coach and explore candidates for next season.
Yogi58
UCBerkGrad said:

Only reason to fire Wyking is to tell the world we are officially looking for a new coach and explore candidates for next season.
We're likely unofficially doing that already.

People should be spending their worrying on no changes in the offensive coaching staff of the football team, not this. This is going to happen.
oskidunker
I hope you are right, Yogi.
Go Bears!
ducky23
People make such a big deal of how important bowl practices are

Well...just see the rest of the season as an opportunity to actually learn and develop basic offensive and defensive skills and principles with a competent coach. Wouldn't that be worth something?
KoreAmBear
Muncie42 said:

• He lives in Berkeley
Thoughts?
Why not Monty?

For those saying why not just let Wyking ride it out. Do you know how completely atrocious and damaging an 0-19 season would be on top of just being bad? We're going that direction. Seems like the kids are not listening anymore. Find someone that will make us competitive and win a few games. We have enough talent to do that.
Yogi58
ducky23 said:

People make such a big deal of how important bowl practices are

Well...just see the rest of the season as an opportunity to actually learn and develop basic offensive and defensive skills and principles with a competent coach. Wouldn't that be worth something?
And how do you propose to do that?
Big Dog
what about Jason Kidd as a "volunteer"? Don't need no stinkin' degree.

Or, get Theo back for some karma.
Econ141
No self respecting coach is going to take over this program. We should be honored if Ben Braun came back.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
Yogi58
KoreAmBear said:

Muncie42 said:

• He lives in Berkeley
Thoughts?
Why not Monty?

For those saying why not just let Wyking ride it out. Do you know how completely atrocious and damaging an 0-19 season would be on top of just being bad? We're going that direction. Seems like the kids are not listening anymore. Find someone that will make us competitive and win a few games. We have enough talent to do that.
Would it be as damaging as going 1-10 in football in 2001? Cause if it is, I'm not too worried about it.
Yogi58
fat_slice said:

No self respecting coach is going to take over this program.
Of course one will. Don't be silly.
KoreAmBear
Yogi Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Muncie42 said:

• He lives in Berkeley
Thoughts?
Why not Monty?

Would it be as damaging as going 1-10 in football in 2001? Cause if it is, I'm not too worried about it.
Holmoe actually didn't recruit badly for how bad his teams were. Luckily we hired correctly and Tedford instantly brought us credibility. Without that kind of hire, 0-19 will stick for a while.

Don't you think our beat downs during the Sonny era helped set up where we are in recruiting? People are still hesitant to come to us (esp. on O) because of the years of mediocrity. Marcus Lee (the first time) and Jordan Brown would have come here but for our basketball mediocrity. Back in the day, we didn't get DJ Williams because he couldn't bear to play for a terrible Bears team, and that was before 1-11.

Of course I believe it's easier in basketball to build buzz again if you get a hot coach and 1-2 elite recruits that may draw others. But it's hard to get past 0-19 as being a put a bag over your face bad. It will take a lot to reverse that potential dumpster fire damage.

Yogi58
KoreAmBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Why not Monty?

Holmoe actually didn't recruit badly for how bad his teams were. Luckily we hired correctly and Tedford instantly brought us credibility. Without that kind of hire, 0-19 will stick for a while.

Don't you think our beat downs during the Sonny era helped set up where we are in recruiting? People are still hesitant to come to us (esp. on O) because of the years of mediocrity. Marcus Lee (the first time) and Jordan Brown would have come here but for our basketball mediocrity. Back in the day, we didn't get DJ Williams because he couldn't bear to play for a terrible Bears team, and that was before 1-11.

Of course I believe it's easier in basketball to build buzz again if you get a hot coach and 1-2 elite recruits that may draw others. But it's hard to get past 0-19 as being a put a bag over your face bad. It will take a lot to reverse that potential dumpster fire damage.
Jones hasn't recruited too badly for how bad his teams are either. I suspect that with a legitimate coach, we will start to look better.

I think the reason we don't recruit better in football is because we don't have great recruiters on our football staff. I don't think it has anything to do with Sonny Dykes. I don't think anybody considering Cal for football thinks about Sonny Dykes at all. if anything, they're more likely to think about the Cheez-It Bowl.
oskidunker
Bringing back a fired coach is a bad idea . Monthomery, maybe, though I doubt he would do it.

Tell someone on the staff to be a hard ass and install some discipline.

I dread the Stanford game.
Go Bears!
kjkbear
What you have said rings true for me. Holmoe's recruiting makes the basketball problem different and worse
Strykur
kjkbear said:

What you have said rings true for me. Holmoe's recruiting makes the basketball problem different and worse
If Holmoe was as decent a coach as he was in getting talent, we might have slugged out 7-5/6-6 seasons in the late 90s/early 2000s, basketball is a different beast where 1 or 2 talented guys can carry a team regardless of who is coaching, is there ANYBODY on this squad who looks like they will be playing after college? Probably not, so whenever Jones is tossed, the next coach will be inheriting a bare cupboard, so why keep Jones if he can't even get decent D-1 talent in here? Braun was a mixed bag coaching-wise but was able to get NBA talent in here, Montgomery was the inverse in that he was an excellent gameday tactician but not hitting the AAU circuit, Cuonzo finally got elite talent to come here but was underwhelming otherwise. Jones has been awful in every aspect of running this program, and we are bleeding to death, and not just from losing.
helltopay1
Dear Yogi: Please see thge academic requirements at Cal: More stringent than UCLA thanks to the previous Chancellor. it's harder to recruit at Cal than ANY other school in the pac-12. Stanford ALWAYS has a better recruiting class than Cal because if Stanford accepts you, you go. Plus, stanford has been recruiting nation-wide ever since Adam & Eve. Of course, there are other reasons, but, our standards are the #1 reason.
Yogi58
helltopay1 said:

Dear Yogi: Please see thge academic requirements at Cal: More stringent than UCLA thanks to the previous Chancellor. it's harder to recruit at Cal than ANY other school in the pac-12. Stanford ALWAYS has a better recruiting class than Cal because if Stanford accepts you, you go. Plus, stanford has been recruiting nation-wide ever since Adam & Eve. Of course, there are other reasons, but, our standards are the #1 reason.
Dear helltopay1:

Learn how to use the quote function. It's not hard.

I'll be the first to say that putting any academic restrictions on ourselves is stupid, but a 3.0 GPA is not an insurmountable level. And despite Wyking's lack of coaching ability, we do have some decent talent on the squad in my opinion. If Wyking can get that here, imagine what a competent coach might be able to do.
Bear19
RayofLight
Since we haven't had a decent mic man for the past 4 years and they only seem to be gimped more with each successive year by lack of institutional support or memory and Cal Marketing, I would not start volunteering them for anything at present but as ticket takers.
Spreading light and goodness,
Over all the West.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
KoreAmBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Muncie42 said:

• He lives in Berkeley
Thoughts?
Why not Monty?

Damage already is done and this team will likely not win, even with an unnecessary mid-season coaching change.

Best scenario if hope the AD can put tother a donor group to fund Jones buy-out and a desirable coach. Note, there things don't happen overnight, especially at Cal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.