Vanover and JHD also intend to transfer

10,305 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by concordtom
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There was not an article on that here, so I had to find on a rival site after some folks alluded to it in comments.
Making its own thread so BI readers catch the important headline.

McNeill and Sueing also leaving.

Who will we have left?
This is a joke. We were already down 2 scholarship players after the Mcullough/Winston catastrophe. I wonder how those here (MB) who sided with Jones about their jettison feel now? Great move, right?
What are we going to do, suit up 10 freshmen next year? 10 who are all spring signees?

Good luck to coach Fox in Nov 2019. What a horrible speech is all I can attribute it to.
Of course, I am not in the know.

NOW it's a dumpster fire.
concordtom
We've gone from this to like 3 people on roster?
At least there was a display of joy and unity there. Now we have a complete void, a vote of no confidence.
Fox is up a tree!

BeachedBear
To clarify, 5 Cal players ever entered their names in the Transfer Portal. There are over 400 players in the Transfer Portal currently.

I believe the purpose of the Transfer Portal is to allow players to see if more attractive opportunities as well as colleges and coaches know that scholarships may become available.

As I understand things, a college may replace a player while in the Transfer Portal and use their scholarship for a new recruit or transfer. Furthermore, I understand that transfer rules now allow for an exception to the 1-year wait rule.

One-time transfer exception: If you never have transferred from a four-year school, you may use a onetime exception to compete immediately at a Division I or II school. To qualify for this exception, you must meet all the following conditions: You are in good academic standing and are making progress toward your degree at your current school. You would have been considered academically eligible to compete had you stayed at your current school. You have a written release agreement from your current school stating it does not object to you receiving a transfer exception.

Personally, I'm glad to see the transfer rules for student athletes get more in line with the real world. The one year sit out rule was to discourage players and coaches from a constant recruiting process. This moves the needle back in the other direction, but maybe not so chaotic as some would have feared in the past.

As for Cal's five. My completely personal guess at likelihood of transfer are:

Davis - 99%
Sueing - 75%
JHD - 67%
McNeil - 45%
Vanover - 30%

Lots of reasons to transfer and lots of reasons to stay. Each player has his own metrics and the only two reasons that I can think of for why a player WOULD NOT enter the transfer window are:

1. The pain of the recruiting process outweighs any problems with current situation.
2. Possibility of losing their scholarship and ending up in a worse situation (I only think this applies to JHD in Cal's case).
glutton
Is it a confirmed fact that Vanover & JHD are transferring, or are they just considering it? That would be awful if they both transfer in addition to the 3 that were already announced. When they finally fired Wyking, I came back from the ledge, but I'm moving back towards it again... not sure if I can renew my seats if all of these players leave. :-(
SFCityBear
glutton said:

Is it a confirmed fact that Vanover & JHD are transferring, or are they just considering it? That would be awful if they both transfer in addition to the 3 that were already announced. When they finally fired Wyking, I came back from the ledge, but I'm moving back towards it again... not sure if I can renew my seats if all of these players leave. :-(
So far it is just Concordtom teasing us. Further bulletins as they break.
SFCityBear
glutton
I just found this story from Jeff Faraudo, which at least gives me a small amount of hope that Connor isn't necessarily leaving:
https://collegesportsmaven.io/cal/basketball/cal-basketball-mom-says-connor-vanover-hasn-t-made-any-decisions-pYMIVxnwdUWtksOpcZpLYw/
Big C
glutton said:

The only one of the five that is almost certainly not coming back is Roman Davis. (Davis is graduating and we want his freed-up schollie.) See the percentage probabilities speculated by Beached Bear, a few posts above this.
Big C
concordtom said:

There was not an article on that here, so I had to find on a rival site after some folks alluded to it in comments.

Who will we have left?
This is a joke. We were already down 2 scholarship players after the Mcullough/Winston catastrophe. I wonder how those here (MB) who sided with Jones about their jettison feel now? Great move, right?
What are we going to do, suit up 10 freshmen next year? 10 who are all spring signees?

Good luck to coach Fox in Nov 2019. What a horrible speech is all I can attribute it to.

Are you implying that we should've kept Winston and McCullough? No way, we can do better. If it turns out we can't do better, that would suck, but we should at least try. Those two aren't Pac 12 level players.
bearister
Well, if Vanover intends to stay I have a much more homer of an assessment of his future than I wrote in a previous thread.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
I consider Davis a graduate, by the way, not a transfer.
He's been here 4'years and has not done enough in my book to merit a fifth.
That said, often we've talked about, if a kid does graduate in 4, he has to apply to and be accepted by a Cal graduate program in order to stay. I haven't heard any talk of that, and so assume he is not near graduation. Too bad for a guy who was a late add because he had a high GPA.

IIRC, some guys who had used up four years of scholarship, but who did not perform wonderfully on the court, were not granted a fifth year toward their undergraduate degree for free (along with the spot on the team).
concordtom
Big C said:

concordtom said:

Who will we have left?

Are you implying that we should've kept Winston and McCullough? No way, we can do better. If it turns out we can't do better, that would suck, but we should at least try. Those two aren't Pac 12 level players.
Better than walk-ons, which I presume we'll be looking at.
What are our roster numbers looking like now? No, seriously.

NAME
Justice Sueing - transferring?
Paris Austin
Darius McNeill - transferring?
Matt Bradley
Connor Vanover - transferring?
Andre Kelly
Juhwan Harris-Dyson - transferring?
Grant Anticevich
Jacobi Gordon
Roman Davis - used up 4 yrs.
David Serge -walk on
Jacob Orender -walk on
Jules Erving -walk on
Blake Welle -walk on
3 recruits, and one is rumored to be changing his mind?

I count 8 players. It's the weakest roster I've ever seen.

The jettisoning of McCullough and winter was bad for a number of reasons:
1. Horrible story on coach. No loyalty to players. He shot himself in foot as future recruiter!
2. There were spots we could have used them last year. As in practice EVERY DAY.
3. Leaves us short this upcoming year.
4. Mood on team likely not improved as a result. If nothing else, look at the record that ensued afterwards, and now winstons buddy JHD leaving? Hmmm.

I'm not saying they were great players....
KoreAmBear
bearister said:

Well, if Vanover intends to stay I have a much more homer of an assessment of his future than I wrote in a previous thread.
LOL you crazy my man.
concordtom
BeachedBear said:

you may use a onetime exception to compete immediately at a Division I or II school.
What?
How the hell did I miss this point?
We've been talking for years how kids should be allowed to move around more freely, like coaches do.
Wow, that's amazing!
KoreAmBear
Connor Vanover and Joel Brown are Fox' most important recruits at this point.
BeachedBear
concordtom said:

BeachedBear said:

you may use a onetime exception to compete immediately at a Division I or II school.
What?
How the hell did I miss this point?
We've been talking for years how kids should be allowed to move around more freely, like coaches do.
Wow, that's amazing!

Yes, this was one of the key changes adopted by the NCAA related to recommendations made by a committee headed by Condoleeza Rice. I believe it was announced last summer. That is why there is so much activity in the Portal. I believe Nevada has ZERO guaranteed players next season since 7 are graduating and the remainder are in the Portal. Many schools besides Cal have 4 or 5 players in the Portal.

I'm guessing Bradley has not entered, since he's happy enough and doesn't want the hassle of recruitment - otherwise, I believe he'd be attractive to at least 300 D1 programs.

Austin has already transferred, so is not eligible for onetime exception.

Other players have not shown enough on the court to be attractive, so probably don't want to risk their scholarship (I'm laughing while I type that).
SFCityBear
Big C said:

concordtom said:

Who will we have left?

We did not do better. We lost two scholarships. We had two empty seats on the bench, two uniforms not being used. Jones recruited them out of desperation, then doubled down on it by getting rid of them losing two scholarships. Let's hope we never hire an assistant to be head coach ever again. It is too big a risk.
SFCityBear
GBear4Life
They're all expendable, IMO. If he doesn't see some of these guys as integral to what would be a top 4 team in the Pac, there's no need to try and keep them around in order to win 14 games instead of 10. Fox saw what this team could do and its ceiling is really low. Cut your losses, recruit your guys - transfers, HS - who will be primed for years 2/3/4. Make sure you're not importing players who aren't going to buy in and have good attitudes.

I bet Fox has spent the last few days, in addition to building a staff, watching tape on names he's targeted from the transfer portal and remaining unsigned HS seniors.
KenBurnski
Lol excellent
Ccajon2
Calm down concord tom! Even assuming DAVIS, JHD, and suing are gone, who knows who we get in return. What if JoJo Henderson, Jaylen Brown (both NV) and the Georgia Lithuanian guard (sargiunas) decides to follow his coach here.

KenBurnski
I mean we have to be due for an S ton of good news, right? RIGHT?!?!?!?!
Ccajon2
Just hoping Bradly, Austin, Sueing, and the 2 bigs stay to be a core that can Be added to. Am assuming Fox will be welcoming six new players this fall.
concordtom
GBear4Life said:

I bet Fox has spent the last few days, in addition to building a staff, watching tape on names he's targeted from the transfer portal and remaining unsigned HS seniors.
And they don't have to sit out a year. Wow, that is just a whole new ballgame. I'm going to have a hard time getting used to that.

How will admissions offices adapt to make April/May acceptance/decline decisions?
concordtom
Ccajon2 said:

Calm down concord tom! Even assuming DAVIS, JHD, and suing are gone, who knows who we get in return. What if JoJo Henderson, Jaylen Brown (both NV) and the Georgia Lithuanian guard (sargiunas) decides to follow his coach here.

Okay, well, if these transfers all had to sit a year, would you THEN agree with my panic?
I've been reading the news wrong. Entering the transfer portal used to mean, "I am going to transfer". But now it's "maybe". Further, incoming transfers would have previously not been eligible. That's a whole different situation.

Fox will indeed have a TON of work to do IMMEDIATELY!!!!
Big C
concordtom said:

Ccajon2 said:

Okay, well, if these transfers all had to sit a year, would you THEN agree with my panic?
I've been reading the news wrong. Entering the transfer portal used to mean, "I am going to transfer". But now it's "maybe". Further, incoming transfers would have previously not been eligible. That's a whole different situation.

The press has been getting it wrong, too, reporting that these players have declared their intent to transfer, rather than their intent to consider their transfer options.

The non-grad transfers still have to sit out a year. One slight difference now is that the NCAA has been more likely to waive the "sitting out a year" requirement when the student athlete claims some sort of extenuating circumstances (such as a sick family member).
Civil Bear
Big C said:

concordtom said:

Ccajon2 said:

The press has been getting it wrong, too, reporting that these players have declared their intent to transfer, rather than their intent to consider their transfer options.

The non-grad transfers still have to sit out a year. One slight difference now is that the NCAA has been more likely to waive the "sitting out a year" requirement when the student athlete claims some sort of extenuating circumstances (such as a sick family member).

Actually, players in the transfer portal that haven't transferred before only need to sit out a year if the original coach requires it.
Big C
Civil Bear said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Ccajon2 said:

Actually, players in the transfer portal that haven't transferred before only need to sit out a year if the original coach requires it.
Really? Oh. Never mind.

Really?!?
concordtom
Civil Bear said:

So the coach still gets the power to be a bad guy?

Will be interesting how they draw the line.
Will all remain unified and never waive the year sit? Or will all wanna be known as nice guys in the event of divorce?
Civil Bear
Big C said:

Civil Bear said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Ccajon2 said:

Really? Oh. Never mind.

Really?!?
Per Beachy's post near the top of this page:

One-time transfer exception: If you never have transferred from a four-year school, you may use a onetime exception to compete immediately at a Division I or II school. To qualify for this exception, you must meet all the following conditions: You are in good academic standing and are making progress toward your degree at your current school. You would have been considered academically eligible to compete had you stayed at your current school. You have a written release agreement from your current school stating it does not object to you receiving a transfer exception.
Big C
Civil Bear said:

Big C said:

Civil Bear said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Ccajon2 said:

Really? Oh. Never mind.

Really?!?

Wow, huge change! (How did I miss that?) I wonder how that last part is going to play out, the part about having a release agreement from the current school. How many programs are going to play hard ball and how often? Will they do it as policy, or on a case-by-case basis?
bearister
"You are in good academic standing and are making progress toward your degree at your current school."

That pretty much castrates the exemption for players at the elite programs.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Civil Bear
Big C said:

Civil Bear said:

Big C said:

Civil Bear said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Ccajon2 said:

Really? Oh. Never mind.

Really?!?

Wow, huge change! (How did I miss that?) I wonder how that last part is going to play out, the part about having a release agreement from the current school. How many programs are going to play hard ball and how often?

Would hope to see the exception denied for players wanting to transfer in conference.
BearSD
concordtom said:

Entering the transfer portal used to mean, "I am going to transfer". But now it's "maybe".
It's more than maybe. As I understand it, once a player puts his name in the transfer portal, his current team is released from any scholarship obligations, and the player can only "go back" if the coaching staff wants the player back and has a scholarship available. So, unless a player is taking bad advice, he only puts his name in the portal if he's either sure he's not coming back or he already has a promise from his current team that he can come back if he decides against transferring.
oskidunker
How many think Dyson will be welcomed back if he changes his mind? Will sure be interesting. Dyson vacume May be paying for his college, wherever he goes.
Go Bears!
Big C
Depends on how desperate we are, at that moment. Unless Fox has better guys to lined up to fill the spot, I would take him back. He was lame on offense last year due to three factors: the hand injury, the coaching and his own, innate offensive lameness. The first two of those could get rectified for next season.

Another factor might be how did Austin and Bradley like him as a teammate? (Austin and Bradley being what's still left of the core of the team) Marty Wilson's really being retained? What does he think of him?

Only mid-majors and lower would offer a schollie to him, at this point, I think, which begs the question of why would we take him back? Lower bar to keep a guy (if he checks the other boxes) than to take a guy on. Plus, we need guys. We would be getting a mature defender for two more years.

HoopDreams
Dyson is a good player that needs to coaches up

It would be great if he returned, but doubt he is

I think even having Davis back would be good. At least better than burning a schollie on a reach or a walk on

Not sure we can even find a couple grad transfer bigs as good as him
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.