Lindsay Gottlieb off to the NBA.

7,047 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by helltopay1
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26956684/sources-cavs-hiring-cal-coach-gottlieb-staff

85Bear
A hearty congratulations to Lindsay! Can't believe this much Cal news in just one June week.

p.s. Guess I'll have to starting rooting for the Cavs.
BC Calfan
Does this have any ramifications on the men's team? Or not really?

ColoradoBear
BC Calfan said:

Can Wyking just coach wbb since we are paying him for 3 more years?
superbear99
You wouldn't do that to those nice women! Some of them actually play defense.
helltopay1
She bailed at just the right time. The program was starting to trend downward.
concordtom
What is landmark about it?
I thought Becky Hammon was already coaching in the NBA.
Northside91
helltopay1 said:

Starting? 30-42 in conference over the last 4 seasons. It was time for her to go
Northside91
ColoradoBear said:

BC Calfan said:

Can Wyking just coach wbb since we are paying him for 3 more years?

This is genius. Impossible but would love to see it.
TheSouseFamily
concordtom said:

What is landmark about it?
I thought Becky Hammon was already coaching in the NBA.

Becky Hammon wasn't a college coach. Gottlieb is the first college coach to be poached by the NBA.
helltopay1
dear Souse: who initiated the contact??Why would Cleveland suddenly think it would be a terrific idea to hire someone who was 30-42 in conference play the past four years? OTOH, she may have really loved Cal, but, felt that there were too many restrictions for her to compete in the future.
helltopay1
Just asking: since Cal is, and, has been for some time, generally woke, diverse, left and favorably impressed with identity politics, could a candidate like Peter Newell survive the application process for the WBB??After all, he is straight, white and male. Would that be strike one, two or three?? Think I'm kidding??
socaliganbear
helltopay1 said:

Just asking: since Cal is, and, has been for some time, generally woke, diverse, left and favorably impressed with identity politics, could a candidate like Peter Newell survive the application process for the WBB??After all, he is straight, white and male. Would that be strike one, two or three?? Think I'm kidding??
How many strikes did Justin Wilcox or Mark Fox have get before getting the two biggest jobs on campus?
joe amos yaks
helltopay1 said:

dear Souse: who initiated the contact??Why would Cleveland suddenly think it would be a terrific idea to hire someone who was 30-42 in conference play the past four years? OTOH, she may have really loved Cal, but, felt that there were too many restrictions for her to compete in the future.
Good grief.
Ask Cav's Coach Beilein.
It's a great move for Coach Gottlieb and the Cav's, and in the end the Bears will thrive with a coaching change.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
wifeisafurd
joe amos yaks said:

helltopay1 said:

Good grief.
Ask Cav's Coach Beilein.
It's a great move for Coach Gottlieb and the Cav's, and in the end the Bears will thrive with a coaching change.
I'm in agreement assuming Knowton gets his act together on the hiring process.
Big C
wifeisafurd said:

joe amos yaks said:

helltopay1 said:

Good grief.
Ask Cav's Coach Beilein.
I'm in agreement assuming Knowton gets his act together on the hiring process.
He's on it: Contacted the search firm YESTERDAY!
helltopay1
Dear Social: Male BB coaches coaching women have to tiptoe through the tulips every day. Ask any male doctor who treats female patients. Totally different culture.
SFCityBear
Northside91 said:

helltopay1 said:

Starting? 30-42 in conference over the last 4 seasons. It was time for her to go
I don't follow the women's game at all. Was Gottlieb considered to be a good coach?
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
helltopay1 said:

Dear Social: Male BB coaches coaching women have to tiptoe through the tulips every day. Ask any male doctor who treats female patients. Totally different culture.
My favorite quote on this subject came when when an interviewer asked K.C. Jones after his first year as coach of the New England Blizzard of the ABL women's pro league, whether there was anything different about coaching women's basketball, anything that he was not prepared for. "Well, one thing that I was not prepared for was the tears in the locker room when we lost," Jones replied.

SFCityBear
stu
helltopay1 said:

I can't imagine "tiptoe" in the same sentence with Auriemma or Walz. Totally different profession.
Big C
SFCityBear said:

Northside91 said:

helltopay1 said:

I don't follow the women's game at all. Was Gottlieb considered to be a good coach?
She was okay. Let's put it this way, if you had to identify her strong suit, it would probably be "people skills", not "winning". This is not a move I would have anticipated, but best of luck to her.
helltopay1
Dear Stu: can you imagine the coaches you just mentioned going into a female locker room except under totally antiseptic circumstances??The situation is so poisonous and fraught with potential law suits that thge Vice-President of the US stated publicly that he would not have a meeting/meal with a female ( any female) unless another female was present. This is our culture today, the #metoo movement is not without adverse consequences. Sensible males and females are rebelling against the unforeseen consequences of this movement, but, they too, are inhibited by the possible negative consequences. I read somewhere that Gottlieb was in contact with the Minnesota Timberwolves prior to being snagged by Cleveland, and, if true, its looks like she was looking to bail. Cleveland??Right now, one of the worst crime-riddled cities in the US. You go into the city at night at your own risk. Ditto for Detroit, Chicago, LA, and SF.
stu
helltopay1 said:

Dear Stu: can you imagine the coaches you just mentioned going into a female locker room except under totally antiseptic circumstances??
Most of the alleged or proved sexual harassment/assault cases in sports I've heard of involved one-on-one situations between an athlete and a trainer, physician, or coach. I don't remember hearing about any in a group setting like a locker room. Perhaps Clay could comment, he coaches high school girls.

helltopay1 said:

The situation is so poisonous and fraught with potential law suits that thge Vice-President of the US stated publicly that he would not have a meeting/meal with a female ( any female) unless another female was present.
I can't say I understand the thinking behind anything the Vice-President of the US states.
helltopay1
stu: yeah-----you are right: pence is a conservative republican: therefore, why have a trial???he should be sent to prison for life without parole for daring to have different opinions than you. nice to know you are such a tolerant person.
OneKeg
helltopay1 said:

stu: yeah-----you are right: pence is a conservative republican: therefore, why have a trial???he should be sent to prison for life without parole for daring to have different opinions than you. nice to know you are such a tolerant person.
I know I'm going to regret even entering this conversation.

But Stu did not say Pence should be accused of anything, much less sent to prison.

He said he can't understand the thinking behind what Pence says. That's ok right? Pence can say what he wants and Stu can say what he wants? Disagreement is not intolerance.
BeachedBear
OneKeg said:

helltopay1 said:

I know I'm going to regret even entering this conversation.

But Stu did not say Pence should be accused of anything, much less sent to prison.

He said he can't understand the thinking behind what Pence says. That's ok right? Pence can say what he wants and Stu can say what he wants? Disagreement is not intolerance.
Be careful. Rational discourse, may encourage our provocateur to label you an intellectual! But I'm glad you entered the convo Onekeg,
calumnus
helltopay1 said:

Dear Stu: can you imagine the coaches you just mentioned going into a female locker room except under totally antiseptic circumstances??The situation is so poisonous and fraught with potential law suits that thge Vice-President of the US stated publicly that he would not have a meeting/meal with a female ( any female) unless another female was present. This is our culture today, the #metoo movement is not without adverse consequences. Sensible males and females are rebelling against the unforeseen consequences of this movement, but, they too, are inhibited by the possible negative consequences. I read somewhere that Gottlieb was in contact with the Minnesota Timberwolves prior to being snagged by Cleveland, and, if true, its looks like she was looking to bail. Cleveland??Right now, one of the worst crime-riddled cities in the US. You go into the city at night at your own risk. Ditto for Detroit, Chicago, LA, and SF.

It is called "the Billy Graham Rule" which he and many evangelicals began following in 1948, long before the "Me Too movement":

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Graham_rule

It is not a response to feminism.
helltopay1
dear keg: ( one keg too many) please re-read what Stu said: he did not say that Pence was entitled to say or "state" something. A little reading comprehension is in order here.
GBear4Life
I read on ESPN that GM Koby Altman wanted to hire a female assistant for a while and engaged Beilien to sell him on the idea and he was receptive. So it was led by Altman

It's unclear how they came to identify Gottlieb, but it certainly doesn't seem like that much of a reach to view her as a good candidate.
HearstMining
helltopay1 said:

Cleveland??Right now, one of the worst crime-riddled cities in the US. You go into the city at night at your own risk. Ditto for Detroit, Chicago, LA, and SF.
I have to take issue with lumping SF in with those other cities. Property crime is off the charts in SF, and while violent crime rate is certainly higher than average, it's only 10 percentage points more than Charlotte, NC (one of those cities that Californians supposedly flock to). A couple of years ago, after a Giants Saturday night game, we walked from AT&T park up to my son's apt near Nob Hill and felt completely safe. I never would have considered walking in those areas in the 1970s - 1990s. The City at night - horrifically expensive, but it still has some magic.
mbBear
helltopay1 said:

Just a guess, but Gottlieb might be making enough to not venture into the worst parts of Cleveland on a regular basis? I also would speculate that she would go to dinner in the city etc. where its pretty secure, and maybe even, well, that valet parking thing? Even going to the arena, she might, now stay with me on this, receive fairly secure parking, like, I don't know, underneath the arena in a highly secure area?
Yeah, I am way out on a limb here...
helltopay1
Dear Hearst: You obviously were not born and raised in SF. Please find and talk to any native circa my age and then be prepared for an astonishing history lesson.
helltopay1
Dear MB: You show some pretty talented comedic traits. Now stay with me on this: I will look forward to your future posts on valet parking, secure neighborhoods, decent restaurants and properly designated bike paths in Compton, Ca. ( you know--where the hoods are said to roam) Hope the limb doesn'tcrack under my weight. Cleveland??Yeah----I can just hear the Cav players saying in unison, " Wow----you can't believe what Gottleib taught me today." I still think she bailed--
JimmyMcNulty
It must be awful living your life so terrified of going anywhere. My condolences.
helltopay1
dear mcnutty: Just trying to give you some history. you are lucky I don't charge.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.