Props to Sean Marks

2,873 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HoopDreams
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When the KD/Kyrie news hit, it struck me what a great job Sean Marks has done in Brooklyn. They were awful and had no hope when he arrived, and in three years he a built them into a good young team this year. And though they lose a couple of those guys, they add Kyrie and (in a year) KD. Here's a longer summary on the job Marks has done, from the Ringer:

Quote:

Marks took over the Nets in February of 2016, midway through a 21-61 season, with their first-round picks in the next three drafts all burning a hole in Danny Ainge's pocket. In three and a half years, he has transformed Brooklyn from a superfund site into a superstar destination.

He hired Kenny Atkinson, renowned for his player development work as an assistant with the Hawks, to be his head coach, and he gave him time. He flipped established players for lower-tier first-round picks, turning Thaddeus Young into Caris LeVert and Bojan Bogdanovic into Jarrett Allen. He trusted his scouting and took chances, landing contributors like Joe Harris and Spencer Dinwiddie after other teams had passed on them. He took advantage of teams desperate to shed too-rich deals, renting out cap space in exchange for young players and picks to land prospects like Rodions Kurucs, Dzanan Musa, and D'Angelo Russell, who'd become Brooklyn's first All-Star in years.

Marks took what looked like salted earth and made it fertile again. Year-over-year growth and improvement turned the Nets into a surprise playoff team, one with a definable culture and style of playa team, it seemed, with everything you could ask for in a could-be contender except the megawatt star talent that can take you from good to great. Now, thanks to the investments Marks made and the changes he's sparked, they've got that.

Whether this all pans out very much remains to be seen. Kyrie, as you might have heard, is a particular sort with a range of peccadilloes to consider and monitor. How Durant bounces back from the most devastating injury a basketball player can suffer is anybody's guess. Marks has made a very big bet that what he's built is strong enough to sustain the seismic shift that comes with hitting the gas pedal and pushing for title contention. That he's even in position to push all his chips in, though, just three and a half years after taking the reins, is absolutely astonishing.
Go Bears!
bearister
Kiwi always seemed like a cool dude to me...and he has made many millions in the basketball industry.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
cal83dls79
What is odd is that he gets Zero press whereas other GMs get lauded over.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
GMP
cal83dls79 said:

I just showed you some great press he got. So, I'm going with zero percent odds he gets zero press.
cal83dls79
GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

I just showed you some great press he got. So, I'm going with zero percent odds he gets zero press.
glad you know what "zero" means but unaware of simple hyperbole. Sure, he's gotten some pub but nowhere commensurate with his accomplishments. If you aren't "cal" nobody knows the guy and yet here in the east coast all I hear about is Danny Ainge. I also listen to 95.7 a ton, and I have yet to hear one cal reference. BTW, you missed the numerous pro Sean Marks Forbes articles. Yeah, I always go to Forbes for my sports news. Are you suggesting he has gotten more credit than due?
GMP
cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

glad you know what "zero" means but unaware of simple hyperbole. Sure, he's gotten some pub but nowhere commensurate with his accomplishments. If you aren't "cal" nobody knows the guy and yet here in the east coast all I hear about is Danny Ainge. I also listen to 95.7 a ton, and I have yet to hear one cal reference. BTW, you missed the numerous pro Sean Marks Forbes articles. Yeah, I always go to Forbes for my sports news. Are you suggesting he has gotten more credit than due?
Google his name. Dozens of articles lauding him today, and over the last year.
cal83dls79
GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

uh today doesn't count GMP. I've followed him for the past 3 years and the dearth of visibility has irked me. Why do I need to google Sean Marks to figure out what he has accomplished? Maybe Fiat has a point here. Marketing opportunity gone awry.
cal83dls79
GMP...Google my name. ...oh boy.
GMP
cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

uh today doesn't count GMP. I've followed him for the past 3 years and the dearth of visibility has irked me. Why do I need to google Sean Marks to figure out what he has accomplished? Maybe Fiat has a point here. Marketing opportunity gone awry.
I misread your initial post - I thought you were saying what are the odds he gets zero press, as opposed to what you actually said. Still, I disagree he gets an unwarranted level of press. Ainge rebuilt his team and made back to back ECFs. Marks' turn around has been great, but until they had a surprisingly good 18-19 season, no one really saw it coming. And during last season, he did get press, despite your contention. Now, when he finishes the turnaround by landing two fish, is the time he really deserves kudos, and he has and will.
cal83dls79
GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

I misread your initial post - I thought you were saying what are the odds he gets zero press, as opposed to what you actually said. Still, I disagree he gets an unwarranted level of press. Ainge rebuilt his team and made back to back ECFs. Marks' turn around has been great, but until they had a surprisingly good 18-19 season, no one really saw it coming. And during last season, he did get press, despite your contention. Now, when he finishes the turnaround by landing two fish, is the time he really deserves kudos, and he has and will.

did you ever see Sean play at Cal? "Unwarranted"? Like I said, nobody knows who he is , where he comes from and where he played college ball, unless that is you are an ex cal guy and NBA nerd on a pod cast bubble fest of a hoops life .
bluesaxe
cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

I've read a couple of extensive articles about the job he's been doing over the last couple of years in the Ringer and the Athletic, and press doesn't matter as much as what people in the business know. Now he'll get the press but the real work was done starting three years ago and people paying attention are well aware of that.
cal83dls79
His decisions might suck if Durant is non playable?
K has not proven to be a leader of men
75bear
The more friends a GM has in the media, the more (positive) press they get.
HoopDreams
How is the Athletic's coverage of college sports? (I heard the focus is on the pros)

Is the subscription worth it as a Cal fan, especially one who doesn't care much about pro sports?

bluesaxe said:

cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

I've read a couple of extensive articles about the job he's been doing over the last couple of years in the Ringer and the Athletic, and press doesn't matter as much as what people in the business know. Now he'll get the press but the real work was done starting three years ago and people paying attention are well aware of that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.