Pac-12 rosters

2,708 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFCityBear
smokeyrover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As compiled here, along with one person's guess at conference standings.

Not a whole lot of returning talent and lots of new pieces. Could be another rough non-conference.
SFCityBear
smokeyrover said:

Not a whole lot of returning talent and lots of new pieces. Could be another rough non-conference.
This one person's guess favors most teams playing nearly all veterans, so he has little knowledge of or faith in the incoming players, which is normal. I kind of feel that way myself, except that Cal's incoming had better be better than this guy thinks, or we will finish behind the Cougs again. Personally, I think that unless JHD has made huge improvement handling the ball and shooting, and he is in the starting lineup, we may be doomed to last place again. I favor playing the best defenders, but we have to have some offense, and starting only one guy who has demonstrated he can shoot, Bradley, is not going to cut it. Unless Klonaras is a klutz, and Double K can't shoot, or South (or Street) isn't ready for PAC 12 level, I think at least one of them will start, not JHD.
SFCityBear
Big C
Yeah, at this point in recent Pac 12 history, any conversation has to begin with Cal penciled in as the last-place team. Maybe it doesn't end up that way, but we need to prove we can play.

X-factors might be Jacobi Gordon and/or 1-2 of the freshmen being especially talented/ready.

Personally, I'll be able to stomach one more last-place finish, now that we appear to be heading upwards.
oskidunker
I doubt Dyson starts. His defense was not even that great .Inhopeb not, anyway.
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
WSU got 3 players back that they thought were gone (1 decided not to go pro, and 2 back from the transfer portal)

That gives them significantly more talent, experience and depth than 2 months ago
wifeisafurd
Ducks will be top 3.
LOUMFSG2
SFCityBear said:

smokeyrover said:

This one person's guess favors most teams playing nearly all veterans, so he has little knowledge of or faith in the incoming players...

Actually, his top two picks, Washington and Arizona, lose a lot of veteran talent, and bring in highly touted freshman classes.

Washington loses Nowell, Thybulle, Crisp, Dickerson and Green, but bring in two 5-stars in Stewart and McDaniels, and a 4-star in Battle, all expected to start.

Arizona loses Randolph, Coleman, Luther, and Akot, but brings in three 5-stars in Mannion, Green and Nnaji, with Mannion and Green projected as starters, and I'm sure Nnaji will be a major contributor off the bench.

I'm not sure the author favors veterans.
LOUMFSG2
It feels to me like the Pac-12 should have a rebound season over last year, which was historically weak. I think the top half of the conference will be fairly strong. But looking at the other teams projected in the bottom third, Utah, Stanfurd and Washington State, I think we have a real opportunity to at least leap past those teams in the standings. I like what Fox and staff have been able to do recruiting-wise, coming in late and filling out the roster with what looks like pretty reasonable talent. And I think Fox was known more for his coaching and player development than recruiting. Whenever you have a new coach and a new system, there is the potential for things to get worse before they get better. But in this case, I think Fox is very good at molding his game plan to fit the talent that he has (as opposed to trying to make the players fit the coaching philosophy), and I think we should see real improvement this year. I think finishing in the 7th - 9th place range is a reasonable goal for this group.
SFCityBear
LOUMFSG2 said:

SFCityBear said:

smokeyrover said:

This one person's guess favors most teams playing nearly all veterans, so he has little knowledge of or faith in the incoming players...

Actually, his top two picks, Washington and Arizona, lose a lot of veteran talent, and bring in highly touted freshman classes.

Washington loses Nowell, Thybulle, Crisp, Dickerson and Green, but bring in two 5-stars in Stewart and McDaniels, and a 4-star in Battle, all expected to start.

Arizona loses Randolph, Coleman, Luther, and Akot, but brings in three 5-stars in Mannion, Green and Nnaji, with Mannion and Green projected as starters, and I'm sure Nnaji will be a major contributor off the bench.

I'm not sure the author favors veterans.
Lou,

Maybe you misunderstood me. The article for me seemed to indicate that the author was guessing that most of the teams will be starting veterans over incoming players. Here is my tally of what he wrote as to how many veterans he projects will be starting for each team:

Washington: one
Arizona: 3
USC: 3
Colorado: 5
ASU: 5
Oregon: 2
UCLA: 5
OSU: 5
Utah: 3
Stanford: 5
WSU: 5
Cal: 4

So all but two teams are starting a majority of veterans in their opening lineups, according to the writer, with Washington and Oregon the only exceptions. Six teams, according to him, will start all-veteran lineups, and 4 teams will start mostly veteran lineups. In all, he has placed 14 newcomers in the starting lineups, or an average of slightly over one newcomer per team. As I said, this is usually what happens to start the season for most teams. The veterans know the system, and the newcomers may take a while to learn it and break into the starting lineup. It is a little surprising that he projects some of the weaker teams, OSU, Stanford, WSU, and Cal to be starting all or nearly all veterans, which might indicate he has little faith in their recruiting classes. Unless more newcomers turn out to be talented enough to beat out some veterans, it may be the PAC12 will be about as good as it was last season. On the other hand, there are three new coaches in the PAC12 in the upcoming season, so that will affect how those teams play, which could be improved or not, independent of their rosters.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
LOUMFSG2 said:

It feels to me like the Pac-12 should have a rebound season over last year, which was historically weak. I think the top half of the conference will be fairly strong. But looking at the other teams projected in the bottom third, Utah, Stanfurd and Washington State, I think we have a real opportunity to at least leap past those teams in the standings. I like what Fox and staff have been able to do recruiting-wise, coming in late and filling out the roster with what looks like pretty reasonable talent. And I think Fox was known more for his coaching and player development than recruiting. Whenever you have a new coach and a new system, there is the potential for things to get worse before they get better. But in this case, I think Fox is very good at molding his game plan to fit the talent that he has (as opposed to trying to make the players fit the coaching philosophy), and I think we should see real improvement this year. I think finishing in the 7th - 9th place range is a reasonable goal for this group.
This all sounds good, and I hope you are right about Fox's coaching. That is a big key to everything, as we just spent two painful years learning. So far, with these recruits, he seems to have recruited well for need, and we have a couple of players for each position, although three are coming off injuries, and a few of them can play two or three positions. Now we have to find out if they are any good, and if the coach does the things you say, the program may have begun the healing. Things are looking up, for this fan at least.
SFCityBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.