Cal Bears: roster predictions 2019-20

3,465 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFCityBear
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The roster page on this website shows the following players.
Meanwhile, another website summarizes our players thusly:

Departures: Justice Sueing, Connor Vanover, Darius McNeill, Roman Davis

Returning: Paris Austin, Matt Bradley, Andre Kelly, Juhwan Harris-Dyson, Grant Anticevich, Jacobi Gordon

Additions: Kareem South, Lars Thiemann, Joel Brown, D.J. Thorpe, Kuany Kuany, Dimitrios Klonaras
Projected Starting Lineup: Austin, Bradley, Harrison-Dyson, Kelly, Thiemann

Who wants to try and organize it into starting 5, and the next 5 subs, in order?

concordtom
This website's roster:

Paris Austin
Oakland, CA, G, 6-0, 185, Senior (RS)

Joel Brown
Toronto, Canada,, G, 6-2, 180, Freshman

Kareem South
Toronto, Canada, G, 6-2, 185, Senior

Juhwan Harris-Dyson
Northridge, CA, G, 6-5, 198, Junior

Matt Bradley
San Bernardino, CA, F, 6-4, 210, Sophomore

Jacobi Gordon
Houston, TX, F, 6-6, 205, Sophomore

Dimitrios Klonaras
Thessaloniki, Greece,, G, 6-6, 210, Freshman

Andre Kelly
Stockton, CA, F, 6-8, 220, Sophomore

Grant Anticevich
Sydney, Australia, F, 6-8, 217, Junior

D.J. Thorpe
Austin, TX, C, 6-8, 230, Freshman

Lars Thiemann
Leverkusen, Germany, C, 7-0, 240, Freshman

Kuany Kuany

Australia , C, 6-10, 220, Freshman

Non-scholarship:

Jacob Orender
Jacksonville, FL, G, 6-0, 175, Senior
Jules Erving
Augusta, GA, F, 6-6, 201, Junior
James Zhao
Beijing, China, G, 6-3, 205, Sophomore
David Serge
Newbury Park, CA, G, 6-4, 185, Senior
Blake Welle
Santa Cruz, CA, F, 6-8, 210, Sophomore
Logan Alters
Fort Lauderdale, FL, G, 6-1, 170, Freshman
concordtom
Austin, South, Brown

Are all 3 of these guys POINT guards?
Interesting.

1 incumbent starting Senior.
1 transfer starting Senior.
1 highly rated frosh of a new coaching regime who would surely be the starter for the future after this year.

Who do you play?
ManBearLion123
Starters:
1 - Austin
2 - South
3 - Bradley
4 - Kelly
5 - Thorpe

Bench:
1 - Brown
2 - Gordon
3 - JHD
4 - Anticevich
5 - Thiemann

Big C
Bradley, Austin and South are our three guys who are pretty much guaranteed 20+ minutes-per-game.

ALL the rest of them, who knows, at this point? It would be pure speculation. The other returnees all bring question marks. Freshmen ALWAYS bring question marks, even more so when they're internationals.

This is why, even though we'll be at or near the bottom of the conference, I'm still looking forward to the start of the season!
SFCityBear
concordtom said:

Austin, South, Brown

Are all 3 of these guys POINT guards?
Interesting.

1 incumbent starting Senior.
1 transfer starting Senior.
1 highly rated frosh of a new coaching regime who would surely be the starter for the future after this year.

Who do you play?
South is not a point guard, he is a shooting guard, a two guard.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
Big C said:

Bradley, Austin and South are our three guys who are pretty much guaranteed 20+ minutes-per-game.

ALL the rest of them, who knows, at this point? It would be pure speculation. The other returnees all bring question marks. Freshmen ALWAYS bring question marks, even more so when they're internationals.

This is why, even though we'll be at or near the bottom of the conference, I'm still looking forward to the start of the season!
Bradley is the only one guaranteed to play a lot of minutes. He has proven he can perform well in the PAC12. Austin has not demonstrated that he can do that, to me, at least. Bradley and Austin will start, but if Brown shows he can play well at this level, especially on defense and leading the team, he will push Austin hard for minutes. Why are you so high on South? He was a decent player, and can score, but he played in the #28 rated conference in the country out of 32 conferences, according to ESPN report of BPI. South made 3rd team all-conference as a senior in that very weak conference. Experience may count for a lot, but it looks like Klonaras may be a better shot, a better passer, and a better defender. I don;t see South being so good that Bradley is forced to play a wing. Bradley is not big enough for a wing, and he plays better with the the ball in his hands, so he is better at guard, IMO. Except for Bradley, I think there is speculation about all the positions. and that is a good thing.
SFCityBear
Civil Bear
ManBearLion123 said:

Starters:
1 - Austin
2 - South
3 - Bradley
4 - Kelly
5 - Thorpe

Bench:
1 - Brown
2 - Gordon
3 - JHD
4 - Anticevich
5 - Thiemann

Switch positions with Gordon and JHD and you just might have it.
SFCityBear
ManBearLion123 said:

Starters:
1 - Austin
2 - South
3 - Bradley
4 - Kelly
5 - Thorpe

Bench:
1 - Brown
2 - Gordon
3 - JHD
4 - Anticevich
5 - Thiemann

You don't seem to like the freshmen very much, and that is not unusual, as freshmen, except for the special ones don't get to play much. However, it this is your team, and Fox does not work wonders, it could be another last place finish. Unless Gordon or Anticevich has improved, I don't see this group doing well in conference. We have too many good looking players in Thiemann, Klonaras, and Kuany for one or two of them not to crack the rotation and get enough minutes to make this team middle of the pack in conference, all IMO.
SFCityBear
concordtom
I saw a highlight tape of Thiemans on YouTube and it did not look terribly impressive. Though, he is 7'.
blungld
I still can't believe how decimated we were by transfers. Arguably our three best players leave. That was a core that was on track to be very good. With Justice, Conor, and Darius we could have graduated from last place in conference to anywhere from 6-4th this year, and be a really good team the two years after that. I still haven't moved on.
BeachedBear
blungld said:

I still can't believe how decimated we were by transfers. Arguably our three best players leave. That was a core that was on track to be very good. With Justice, Conor, and Darius we could have graduated from last place in conference to anywhere from 6-4th this year, and be a really good team the two years after that. I still haven't moved on.
While I agree with your sentiment, I think the degrees of the bolded statements reflect how low we had fallen during Jones two year run.

"That was a core that was on track to be very good"

Hard to argue they weren't our best players by comparison. And I believe McNeil and Sueing suffered from inferior developmental coaching. However, I don't think any of them were going to be "very good'. Sure it's semantics, but probably not all conference at any point in their collegiate careers. Maybe Sueing starts on most P12 teams, but not the other two.

"graduated from last place in conference to anywhere from 6-4th this year"

Again, with functional coaching and development, I agree they could have gotten out of the cellar, but 6th-4th seems like quite a stretch, even when the P12 is in a down cycle. Maybe 7th-9th is more realistic.

All of that is just IMHO and part of my efforts to move on. I tried to support Jones without being too fatalistic - leaning on benefit of the doubt - despite evidence to the contrary. The last two seasons were a perfect storm of inferior coaching and sub par talent. In a normal P12 landscape, we probably went 0-fer in both seasons.

Regardless, I hold no ill will to the players that departed and wish them the best. If they didn't bleed blue and gold, then it's not worth it to them to put in the effort required of D1 bball.
SFCityBear
concordtom said:

I saw a highlight tape of Thiemans on YouTube and it did not look terribly impressive. Though, he is 7'.
Video I saw was a game video, not highlight. He had good post moves, scored about 20 points and got about 14 rebounds as I remember. His stats show that he can score and rebound. I also remember he couldn't stay with anyone on defense. I read that Fox is a defensive-minded coach, so probably Thiemanns will have to clean that up before he plays a lot of minutes.
SFCityBear
Big C
SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

Bradley is the only one guaranteed to play a lot of minutes. He has proven he can perform well in the PAC12. Austin has not demonstrated that he can do that, to me, at least. Bradley and Austin will start, but if Brown shows he can play well at this level, especially on defense and leading the team, he will push Austin hard for minutes. Why are you so high on South? He was a decent player, and can score, but he played in the #28 rated conference in the country out of 32 conferences, according to ESPN report of BPI. South made 3rd team all-conference as a senior in that very weak conference. Experience may count for a lot, but it looks like Klonaras may be a better shot, a better passer, and a better defender. I don;t see South being so good that Bradley is forced to play a wing. Bradley is not big enough for a wing, and he plays better with the the ball in his hands, so he is better at guard, IMO. Except for Bradley, I think there is speculation about all the positions. and that is a good thing.
I am high on South earning 20+ minutes per game for two reasons:
1. He has already demonstrated that he can play college basketball pretty well. Should be more "ready" than Klonares.
2. We are very thin at shooting guard (especially ones who can shoot!).

I'm not saying South is going to be a great player in the Pac 12, but he'll be okay and he fills a need for us. Same with Austin.

We'll see, at any rate: It's the REAL answers to questions like these that have me looking forward to the first few games!
UrsaMajor
SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

I think a lot depends on the offense that Fox runs. In the modern motion offense, there is often little difference between "wing" and "guard." I agree that Bradley is effective with the ball in his hands, but in position-less basketball, his title may not mean much. Of course, I have no idea what Fox is going to run with this group.
concordtom
And that first game is gonna be October 30. I wonder if Fox will do any open scrimmage, march madness, or other, before that.
(Below per this website)

Saint Martin's
10/30 Berkeley, CA
TBA
Exhibition Game

Pepperdine
11/5 Berkeley, CA

UNLV
11/12 Berkeley, CA

Cal Baptist
11/15 Berkeley, CA

Prairie View A&M
11/18 Berkeley, CA

Duke
11/21, NYC

Texas or Georgetown
11/22, NYC

UC Davis
11/26 Berkeley, CA

@ San Francisco
12/4 San Francisco, CA

@ Santa Clara
12/7 Santa Clara, CA

Fresno State
12/11 Berkeley, CA

Saint Mary's
12/14 Berkeley, CA

Boston College *
12/21 San Francisco, CA

Harvard
12/29 Berkeley, CA

* Al Attles Classic
Chase Center SF, 12/21
Session 1 = Stanford vs San Diego, Cal vs BC
Session 2 = Arizona vs St John's, St Marys vs Nevada
Ticket sales TBD
wifeisafurd
SFCityBear said:

ManBearLion123 said:

Starters:
1 - Austin
2 - South
3 - Bradley
4 - Kelly
5 - Thorpe

Bench:
1 - Brown
2 - Gordon
3 - JHD
4 - Anticevich
5 - Thiemann

You don't seem to like the freshmen very much, and that is not unusual, as freshmen, except for the special ones don't get to play much. However, it this is your team, and Fox does not work wonders, it could be another last place finish. Unless Gordon or Anticevich has improved, I don't see this group doing well in conference. We have too many good looking players in Thiemann, Klonaras, and Kuany for one or two of them not to crack the rotation and get enough minutes to make this team middle of the pack in conference, all IMO.
I think the younger players will get more playing time than most people think. Fox really has tried to limit expectations by telling everyone it is a rebuild. The other bias from Fox is he is a defense first guy. So guys that pick up their defense (maybe Kelly) and big bodies will see relatively more playing time, while South and Bradley score to keep up. My own particular bias is that South is an underrated player and may get some all conference honors (probably an HM). This assumes Austin actually gives up the ball. Last point, I agree we are thin at shooting guards so don't be surprised if walk-on Alters gets some minutes.
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

I think a lot depends on the offense that Fox runs. In the modern motion offense, there is often little difference between "wing" and "guard." I agree that Bradley is effective with the ball in his hands, but in position-less basketball, his title may not mean much. Of course, I have no idea what Fox is going to run with this group.
I agree, but my concern is that we won't likely be successful if we go small a majority of the time. And a lineup of Austin, South, Bradley, plus two 6-8 guys, Kelly and Thorpe, as some have suggested, is very small, especially for one of the worst rebounding teams in the country last season with taller players. I am interested in seeing either Klonaras or Kuany play that SF position, if Theimanns isn't ready to play center, I hear what you say about positionless basketball, but I think that is for the top teams who have players who can do many things, and most players playing for low level teams can't do much more than one thing, if that.
SFCityBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.