Vanover Denied Waiver

8,568 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GBear4Life
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This was the right decision under the rules but I'm not sure how Vanover's case was different from the majority of waiver filers who did get approved this cycle.

bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ncbears
Simple explanation - Vanover transferred to the wrong school.
KoreAmBear
Yep if you transfer to Arizona, a school that barely slides on serious allegations of bribery, you can play right away. What is going on here?
ClayK
The NCAA is, of course, a fundamentally corrupt organization, as its primary goal is to promote the welfare of schools, coaches and administrators at the expense of the student-athletes it purportedly is also supposed to protect.

Given this basic ethical flaw at its heart, it's not surprising that other aspects of the organization are equally likely to be egregiously unfair when it comes to decision-making.

If a company accepts kickbacks in one part of its operation, it's a lot more likely to give out kickbacks in another.
TheSouseFamily
Article in today's Dallas paper about McNeill and his own waiver. This case seems a bit more justifiable than Vanover's.

Big C
I'm glad he has to sit because he transferred from Cal. Meanwhile, he looks like he's put on about 40 lbs in the past 13 mos. or so. I wish he was still with us: We would actually be pretty decent.
TheSouseFamily
Big C said:

I'm glad he has to sit because he transferred from Cal. Meanwhile, he looks like he's put on about 40 lbs in the past 13 mos. or so. I wish he was still with us: We would actually be pretty decent.

I caught the highlights of their big public intrasquad game and it didn't look like he had any more bulk. With that frame, I'm not sure he'll ever fill out much. He looked good though in the game, especially from deep. I think he was the second leading scorer so naturally Arky fans desperately wanted him to get the waiver. And you know Musselman knows every trick in the book when it comes to transfers.
R90
KoreAmBear said:

Yep if you transfer to Arizona, a school that barely slides on serious allegations of bribery, you can play right away. What is going on here?
Jordan Brown is sitting out this year after transferring form Nevada.

Jemarl Baker Jr. got his waiver to play for Arizona after playing 28 games for Kentucky last year, but he had already taken a redshirt year after being injured at the start of the 2017-18 season.

Max Hazzard is playing this season for Zona as a graduate transfer from Irvine.
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
cal83dls79
TheSouseFamily said:

Big C said:

I caught the highlights of their big public intrasquad game and it didn't look like he had any more bulk. With that frame, I'm not sure he'll ever fill out much. He looked good though in the game, especially from deep. I think he was the second leading scorer so naturally Arky fans desperately wanted him to get the waiver. And you know Musselman knows every trick in the book when it comes to transfers.
more importantly, was he still sporting the man bun?
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
TheSouseFamily
Looks like the bun has been reduced in size and magnitude but still there.

Beardog26
I strongly disliked the man-bun look when Vanover played fir Cal. Since I don't have to see it regularly, now it's merely a bad look on another team's player. That said, we could still use his floor spacing and shooting.
bearister
Beardog26 said:

I strongly disliked the man-bun look when Vanover played fir Cal. Since I don't have to see it regularly, now it's merely a bad look on another team's player. That said, we could still use his floor spacing and shooting.

Toshiro Mifune did it proud, however.

Gkhoury2325
It would of been nice to keep Vanover, I believe he would of greatly improved with this staff. Oh well, good luck to the young man.
3Cats4CAL
In the end, wish Cal would do better than Arkansas.
bearister
Gkhoury2325 said:

It would of been nice to keep Vanover, I believe he would of greatly improved with this staff. Oh well, good luck to the young man.

I think you have to have a really good team to afford the luxury of putting your pony in occasionally to do his one trick
HearstMining
bearister said:

Gkhoury2325 said:

I think you have to have a really good team to afford the luxury of putting your pony in occasionally to do his one trick
Or have a really bad team . . .
Big C
TheSouseFamily said:

There you go, Souse: Are you telling me Vanover doesn't look a LOT heavier than he did his senior year in HS or when he first arrived at Cal? His left arm in that picture? Used to look like a twig on a white birch tree!
TheSouseFamily
Big C said:

TheSouseFamily said:

There you go, Souse: Are you telling me Vanover doesn't look a LOT heavier than he did his senior year in HS or when he first arrived at Cal? His left arm in that picture? Used to look like a twig on a white birch tree!

Probably just an optical illusion or one an edited picture done in one of those apps that youngsters use. Seriously though, I'm just saying he looked like the same ole Vanover in the highlight package I saw. But I suppose I could be wrong. That said, he was listed at 225 as an incoming freshman at Cal. He's now listed as 230 on the official Arky roster.
bearister
With the extra weight he now is able to slide laterally to the lane where the offensive player just drove to the hoop 2.5 seconds late instead of 2 seconds late.
Big C
bearister said:

With the extra weight he now is able to slide laterally to the lane where the offensive player just drove to the hoop 2.5 seconds late instead of 2 seconds late.
Joke all you want, but by last March, he was much improved on both ends of the court. I wish he had stayed with us.
bearister
Big C said:

bearister said:

Joke all you want, but by last March, he was much improved on both ends of the court. I wish he had stayed with us.

Well, my guess is he would have played a lot more at Cal than at Arkansas.....unless Arkansas really sucks.
oski003
Big C said:

bearister said:

1 second late then
GBear4Life
Muss chose Ark over Cal. Says a lot.
touchdownbears43
No empathy here - these kids (and by proxy their parents) need to learn life lessons that transferring to accelerate your NBA Chances or PT is a cheap and shallow decision.
Alkiadt
GBear4Life said:

Fake news.
Muss was never offered the job at Cal.
And he was never going to get offered the job, so privately taking himself out of the running was a way to look like he turned it down...
SFCityBear
GBear4Life said:

Was the Cal job actually offered to Musselman?
SFCityBear
TheSouseFamily said:

Does it have purpose?
SFCityBear
bearister said:

Beardog26 said:

He da man. As long as Zatoichi isn't in the room. Then it's close to a toss-up.
Alkiadt
SFCityBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Was the Cal job actually offered to Musselman?
No.
bearister
SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

Beardog26 said:

Big C
touchdownbears43 said:

No empathy here - these kids (and by proxy their parents) need to learn life lessons that transferring from Cal to accelerate your NBA Chances or PT is a cheap and shallow decision.
fify
SFCityBear
bearister said:

SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

Beardog26 said:

Curses. Ichi lost only one sword fight. In sword fights, you only get one loss and you're out for good.

PS: I almost always root for the underdog. I'm a Cal fan.
FloriDreaming
Beardog26 said:

LOL. As much as I know I shouldn't care about the hair style of Cal players, I have to admit I agree with everything you said here.
FloriDreaming
GBear4Life said:

You can thank Knowlton's indecisiveness for this. Dithering over a firing that should have happened before the season ended cost Cal a lot of opportunities. IIRC Muss was already off the board by the time Knowlton pulled his head out of his rear and pulled the trigger.

Snooze ya lose.

But Fox seems to be doing alright so far. Doesn't let Kn off the hook, but it's good to see improvement.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.