Cal BBall and Haas Pavilion: Dropping the Ball in So Many Ways

11,090 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HoopDreams
CautiouslyPessimisticBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Long-time poster using a different account so I can get real for a moment.

I attended my first Cal basketball game of this season tonight. Observations:

1). Less than 3 minutes after the game ended, when the band had just started playing its first post-game song, I was asked to get up and leave Haas by a security guard who was clearing out the crowd. The teams were literally still on the court shaking hands and security was trying to shoo me out the door. I rather coldly told security woman that I enjoy listening to the band's post game songs and I waved her off. About two minutes later, when the band was playing their second post game song (this is only about five minutes after the final bell), security man comes up to me and asks me to leave the arena. At this point, I'm pretty pissed off, and I explained to security man that I was going to listen to the ****ing band play a few songs whether he liked it or not. At that point, my fun, relaxing experience was pretty much ruined, my blood pressure was up, and I couldn't enjoy the band's third song (which was, I believe, Hail to California) as I had two security idiots glaring at me. Knowlton, are you listening? For what I pay for a ticket, I can't relax after the game for 10-15 minutes without being hassled by your GD security theater people? Wow. Maybe this is just a business, nothing else...just whisk the paying folks out the door as quickly as possible. What a crappy business model.

2). There were few enough people at the game that I actually attempted to count the crowd. I'd guess maybe 1,100. Depressing. Average age was about 55, with virtually no families or young kids. Dead silent environment until the crowd rallied with about one minute left in the game. I grew up in the Kidd/Abdur-Rahim era, and we've had some good teams since then as well. All I can say is Cal is doing something very wrong, and may never recover from Williams/Jones. Haas is a kinda sad place these days.

3). They've draped the big "California" banner below the American flag, where it rests on a platform and partially covers the names of Cal men's and women's teams that are painted on a platform. It looks sloppy, like no-one running the facility really gives a ***** And very noticeable in the sterile, plain rafters of the arena is the lack of the championship banners and retired player jerseys that used to hang proudly, items that would restore some character to the place. It is such a no-brainer that they should be hung back up it just depresses me that nobody at Cal seems to care.

4). Each corner of the scoreboard shows the players' numbers and their stats. Yet, when a Cal player scores and is running back up the court, that is EXACTLY when I always (used to) take a quick glance to see how many points that player has. However, the genius that runs the scoreboard has chosen to grey-out those corner stat boards with a grey "Cal" logo that lasts for about 10 seconds right after anybody scores, just long enough to ruin the purpose of the stats board. Nice work, fella.

5). We have a problem with many different shades of yellow/gold going on. Most noticeable is the "Make More Noise" thing that flashes on the main scoreboard. It is a very bright shade of yellow that is completely wrong for Cal and again, it makes you shake your head and wonder if the person running the place gives a *****

6). Credit to the Cal band for bringing much needed energy tonight. They're a huge part of the reason I still go to games. That said, the fact that they can't start playing Immediately upon a break in the action but instead have to wait with their thumbs up their asses while we all stare at screen time on the scoreboard (like any of us needs more screen time) while Cal and idiot Learfield remind us who is on the seemingly endless list of "game day sponsors" is depressing. Any spontaneity and momentum has been stripped from the game day experience. And, on a side note, I'm a bit surprised to see how much red is tolerated in the band, from a solid red Santa hand puppet someone was holding to red buttons on the vests to red hat decorations. Smh.

7). 8pm games suck. I got home to the Danville area via BART and parking at Orinda BART at 11:300pm. It's no wonder there's no families or young kids at the game. Who wants to get home at 11:30?

8). Sorry to be so negative. It's just I am having trouble reconciling two-plus decades of fun, sometimes elite basketball that I've enjoyed at Harmon/Haas that I was brought up on with what I saw out there tonight. The team has two legitimate players on it: Bradley and Harris-Dyson. That's it. I'll stop there as there's no point in denigrating the players. But if Fox can't recruit more fun, athletic players, this ain't gonna change, folks. This board can claim that "stars don't matter" all it wants but that's simply wrong.

I'll stop now. But a warning to Knowlton: tell your security folks to give people 15 minutes to bask in a win (or loss). If you don't fix that, I might never be back. And my name is on the GD wall of Haas as a (minor) donor.

Go Bears.

GMP
CautiouslyPessimisticBear said:

Long-time poster using a different account so I can get real for a moment.

I attended my first Cal basketball game of this season tonight. Observations:

1). Less than 3 minutes after the game ended, when the band had just started playing its first post-game song, I was asked to get up and leave Haas by a security guard who was clearing out the crowd. The teams were literally still on the court shaking hands and security was trying to shoo me out the door. I rather coldly told security woman that I enjoy listening to the band's post game songs and I waved her off. About two minutes later, when the band was playing their second post game song (this is only about five minutes after the final bell), security man comes up to me and asks me to leave the arena. At this point, I'm pretty pissed off, and I explained to security man that I was going to listen to the ****ing band play a few songs whether he liked it or not. At that point, my fun, relaxing experience was pretty much ruined, my blood pressure was up, and I couldn't enjoy the band's third song (which was, I believe, Hail to California) as I had two security idiots glaring at me. Knowlton, are you listening? For what I pay for a ticket, I can't relax after the game for 10-15 minutes without being hassled by your GD security theater people? Wow. Maybe this is just a business, nothing else...just whisk the paying folks out the door as quickly as possible. What a crappy business model.

2). There were few enough people at the game that I actually attempted to count the crowd. I'd guess maybe 1,100. Depressing. Average age was about 55, with virtually no families or young kids. Dead silent environment until the crowd rallied with about one minute left in the game. I grew up in the Kidd/Abdur-Rahim era, and we've had some good teams since then as well. All I can say is Cal is doing something very wrong, and may never recover from Williams/Jones. Haas is a kinda sad place these days.

3). They've draped the big "California" banner below the American flag, where it rests on a platform and partially covers the names of Cal men's and women's teams that are painted on a platform. It looks sloppy, like no-one running the facility really gives a ***** And very noticeable in the sterile, plain rafters of the arena is the lack of the championship banners and retired player jerseys that used to hang proudly, items that would restore some character to the place. It is such a no-brainer that they should be hung back up it just depresses me that nobody at Cal seems to care.

4). Each corner of the scoreboard shows the players' numbers and their stats. Yet, when a Cal player scores and is running back up the court, that is EXACTLY when I always (used to) take a quick glance to see how many points that player has. However, the genius that runs the scoreboard has chosen to grey-out those corner stat boards with a grey "Cal" logo that lasts for about 10 seconds right after anybody scores, just long enough to ruin the purpose of the stats board. Nice work, fella.

5). We have a problem with many different shades of yellow/gold going on. Most noticeable is the "Make More Noise" thing that flashes on the main scoreboard. It is a very bright shade of yellow that is completely wrong for Cal and again, it makes you shake your head and wonder if the person running the place gives a *****

6). Credit to the Cal band for bringing much needed energy tonight. They're a huge part of the reason I still go to games. That said, the fact that they can't start playing Immediately upon a break in the action but instead have to wait with their thumbs up their asses while we all stare at screen time on the scoreboard (like any of us needs more screen time) while Cal and idiot Learfield remind us who is on the seemingly endless list of "game day sponsors" is depressing. Any spontaneity and momentum has been stripped from the game day experience. And, on a side note, I'm a bit surprised to see how much red is tolerated in the band, from a solid red Santa hand puppet someone was holding to red buttons on the vests to red hat decorations. Smh.

7). 8pm games suck. I got home to the Danville area via BART and parking at Orinda BART at 11:300pm. It's no wonder there's no families or young kids at the game. Who wants to get home at 11:30?

8). Sorry to be so negative. It's just I am having trouble reconciling two-plus decades of fun, sometimes elite basketball that I've enjoyed at Harmon/Haas that I was brought up on with what I saw out there tonight. The team has two legitimate players on it: Bradley and Harris-Dyson. That's it. I'll stop there as there's no point in denigrating the players. But if Fox can't recruit more fun, athletic players, this ain't gonna change, folks. This board can claim that "stars don't matter" all it wants but that's simply wrong.

I'll stop now. But a warning to Knowlton: tell your security folks to give people 15 minutes to bask in a win (or loss). If you don't fix that, I might never be back. And my name is on the GD wall of Haas as a (minor) donor.

Go Bears.

1. What time did the game end. At almost 10:30pm? I understand where you're coming from but you should also consider that a lot of people are still working and the arena needs to be cleared before they can do their jobs. I'm sure they have families they'd like to get home to.

2. Similar point - it was an 8pm game and ended at 10:30pm. You can't expect many kids or families there for that game time.

4. From how you describe it, a fair point. But perhaps you could make it without the snark?

5. Geeze, man. Get over it.

6. I mean, it has nothing to do with the people in charge of the arena. That's TV.

7. LOLLLLL. I laughed so hard at this. See point 1, which I wrote before I even saw this. You're gonna b-tch now about getting home so late? What time do you think the employees who had to keep working long after you left got home? Can you think of anyone but yourself?

"That's TV" is not an acceptable excuse. I am not forgiving of how the University has *****d out the fan game day experience for TV, including six-day notification windows and ridiculously late start times. Basketball games should not start later than 7:30. Unless you think what they're doing right now is going so well...demonstrated by all 1,100 of us in attendance...

And I feel allowing fans 15-20 minutes to bask in a win is not asking too much, GMP. You're trying to link those two points, but that is a notion completely separate from whatever time the game ended. I couldn't care less if the security people want to get home for bedtime...nobody lowered the cost of my ticket...
BearGoggles

"That's TV" is not an acceptable excuse. I am not forgiving of how the University has *****d out the fan game day experience for TV, including six-day notification windows and ridiculously late start times. Basketball games should not start later than 7:30. Unless you think what they're doing right now is going so well...demonstrated by all 1,100 of us in attendance...

And I feel allowing fans 15-20 minutes to bask in a win is not asking too much, GMP. You're trying to link those two points, but that is a notion completely separate from whatever time the game ended. I couldn't care less if the security people want to get home for bedtime...nobody lowered the cost of my ticket...
Very brave of you to post these complaints under a pseudonym - on an already anonymous board.

Why not just send a shorter email raising these issues to Knowlton and others in the AD? Presented in a reasonable manner, I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback.

Cal won an exciting game. It too bad you rushed back from the game to post a bunch of complaints.
I've written my fair share of emails and letters in my time. A few times it has had an impact, but usually not.
oski003
I actually enjoyed the post as constructive criticism until it got to comment regarding all players not named mb or jhd. That was an awful comment.
bearister
You clearly were not a loyal fan last year that suffered through a record breaking 16 consecutive losses. Those of us that did are doing cartwheels over the fact we actually have a basketball coach and players who are buying in and playing hard. I was at the game last night and experienced the sheer joy of watching the application of in game coaching strategy that resulted in the winning of a highly contested game, a phenomena that has not occurred involving a Cal basketball team for many years. I have been a season ticket holder since 1987.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
I emailed Gordon Bayne last night about the loud pa and got a reply this morning. It was so loud I could not talk anyone at any time. Game was great . The scoreboard issues are really annoying, I agree.So far it usually 5 minutes in to the game before they get it working. Substitutions are not processes on time..

These are minor things.we always leave at the end to hear the radio post game. Not sure I would want to stay any later to hear more band.
jim.knowlton@berkeley.edu He is very responsive.
Go Bears!
Big Dog
I too, love the band, and that's what makes the college experience fun. And listening to them play a few songs after an exciting game is part of the experience. When I used to take my little kids to games, letting them sing along was fun for them. Getting pushed out early is terrible.

You are spot-on with point #1. Yeah, they need to cleanup after the game, but that is not the fans' issue. If Knowlton wants the security team to lock the doors by 11 pm (so he doesn't have to pay OT?), then tell Larry Scott he'll refuse to play games later than 7:30. Alternatively, Knowlton needs to reserve some of the TV money to pay security (OT?) for any game that goes OT.
BeachedBear
The thing about getting shooed out by Security is the only new complaint. Both sides bring up good points (band tradition vs staff getting home at a reasonable hour). Everyone but those benefiting from TV revenue probably agree that 8pm Tuesday tip offs suck - and are probably the real cause. A little better management of the event could have easily solved this issue by letting security know that some fans want to enjoy the band - and it will only last 15 minutes. Furthermore, the event staff could probably have directed the dozens of those affected to a common area and still continue to do what they need to do.

The rest of the same old issues still resonate around two major issues. TV Impact and Event Management. Not much can be done about the TV stuff, since that is contracted years in advance. However, the Event management piece is all on Cal.

FWIW, I have written the emails and met with staff on in Athletic Department. They usually listen, but only change about 25%. Some of that is on me by focusing on an issue that is not as common as I thought. The other has to do with who manages what at the Event. I have been informed that it is not just one person (Gordon), but many different parts of the University (outside of the AD) that impact different things like food, security, commercialization, in game stunts and simple things like sound and scoreboard.

Like others, I complained about the decibel level of the PA for many seasons and it actually improved the last couple of years. This year it has returned to peak levels. Could be there is a new person at the switchboard - or more likely no one and the volume is simply left high, regardless of the game situation.

Right now, I'm just happy to see the progress on the court and relishing that many former fans are cautiously optimistic and interested in CalmBball again.
RedlessWardrobe
Really have to agree with the first point. What's the purpose of the band playing if you can't stay and listen? Are they playing for themselves?

Sounds like the security guards were power trippin.
89Bear
m2bear said:

" I couldn't care less if the security people want to get home for bedtime...nobody lowered the cost of my ticket...
You're a miserable human being. It's no wonder you posted as a troll and not your regular nic.

You're nothing but a coward and an embarrassment to the Cal community.
This seems a little bit too harsh, don't you think?
joe amos yaks
Good grief !
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
glutton
oskidunker said:

I emailed Gordon Bayne last night about the loud pa and got a reply this morning. It was so loud I could not talk anyone at any time. Game was great . The scoreboard issues are really annoying, I agree.So far it usually 5 minutes in to the game before they get it working. Substitutions are not processes on time..

These are minor things.we always leave at the end to hear the radio post game. Not sure I would want to stay any later to hear more band.
jim.knowlton@berkeley.edu He is very responsive.

What was Gordon's response about the PA volume? We also found it louder than normal last night, and to make things worse, the female mic person seemed to keep shouting into the mic. Some of Nassir's PA promos were ear-splitting. We weren't sure if the fact that there was a small crowd made the PA volume seem higher.

As for the original poster's complaint about having security try to shoo you out while the band was still playing, I agree that they should let fans stay until the band is done, regardless of what time a game ends. If management decides to shoo the band out too, then that's a different story.
parentswerebears
I too, am disappointed with the game day experience the last few years. Having a team with a chance to win does help alleviate my frustration with all of the other stuff, because that's what I am really there for, but I miss that college feel. The band is a huge part of that and it is neutralized by the damn scoreboard garbage. But a big part of the experience is being with a BUNCH of people having a common experience, and that is what is truly has been missing. And that is what good basketball can bring back. I hope that this team and subsequent years can bring some excitement back to Haas. Then fans will join back up. And hopefully, the ones who come back are students, because that's who belongs at COLLEGE games.
oskidunker
Reply from Gordon regarding volume of PA system. I gave up trying to talk to the guy next to me. Part of the fun is being able to discuss what is happening with friends. Not possible last night. "Will pass that along!

Thanks Mike.

Gordon "
Go Bears!
helltopay1
m2bear: please review your comment. Cautious has a first amendment right ( remember the first amendment) to express his frustrations and feelings. he is unhappy with much of the Cal experience regarding basketball. So am I. So is anyone who cares deeply about Cal basketball. So, in the future, address complaints with respect. BTW, his name is in the Haas lobby as befits donors who contributed to the building off Haas. That fact alone should garner him some respect. Personal ad hominem attacks have no place on this board. I have been instructed by the Moderator to post my political thoughts on the OT forum. Fair enough..I hope the moderator will advise you to think twice before resorting to personal insults.
superbear99
Totally agree
LateHit
Leave the players out of it. They are doing an excellent job so far.
Under the consecutive last place finishes-November week night-8:00 start circumstances, I thought the attendance and noise were good.
Straw hats were terrific- but, yeah, the anti-red discipline is sorely deficient.
The bigger the crowds get, the more post-game lingering there will be, which is good.
However.
Do they turn the sound system over to anybody willing to duplicate a Red Sox/Arena football/we could be at any sporting event in North America experience?
Not that we need Iron Butterfly album cuts or Mario Savio speeches during time outs, but "Sweet Caroline" and "Shout"? The lack of imagination is painful, especially at that volume.
oskidunker

We've been having issues with the computers/software that run the scoreboard ever since the power outages. It's an issue that we are aware of and trying to resolve.

This from Gordon.
Go Bears!
caltagjohnson
As you may know I was a 4 year Cal season ticket holder with floor seats. This is my first season in N. Nevada and I am a Wolf Pack season pass holder. Lawlor Events Center (11,540) will sell out nearly every game. Even the pre conference games get about 8,000 fans, including many students. The atmosphere here is totally different than Cal. It is an exciting college atmosphere. The first thing you notice is the cheer leaders, The squad is at least twice as big as Cal. And they are actually good looking. A real benefit for a dirty old man. Nobody hustles you out the door at the end of the game. Many fans stick around to socialize after the game. Knowlton should come to Reno to see what a real college game is like. I'm sure this post will piss off Cal fans who don't like to face reality.
MSaviolives
LateHit said:

Leave the players out of it. They are doing an excellent job so far.
Under the consecutive last place finishes-November week night-8:00 start circumstances, I thought the attendance and noise were good.
Straw hats were terrific- but, yeah, the anti-red discipline is sorely deficient.
The bigger the crowds get, the more post-game lingering there will be, which is good.
However.
Do they turn the sound system over to anybody willing to duplicate a Red Sox/Arena football/we could be at any sporting event in North America experience?
Not that we need Iron Butterfly album cuts or Mario Savio speeches during time outs, but "Sweet Caroline" and "Shout"? The lack of imagination is painful, especially at that volume.

I must disagree. Mario Savio speeches during time outs should be mandatory. I would, however, draw the line at a Dumpster Muffin muffin toss.
MSaviolives
I'll add that the noise level has ticked me off for a few years now. It got so bad that I downloaded a decibel reader app for my phone. I didn't get to last nights game, but in past games the level has gotten into the 90s, which is totally unacceptable. And I have to ask...why? Why do they need it that loud? Do you think people write and complain that that PA is not loud enough? I doubt it.

ducky23
caltagjohnson said:

As you may know I was a 4 year Cal season ticket holder with floor seats. This is my first season in N. Nevada and I am a Wolf Pack season pass holder. Lawlor Events Center (11,540) will sell out nearly every game. Even the pre conference games get about 8,000 fans, including many students. The atmosphere here is totally different than Cal. It is an exciting college atmosphere. The first thing you notice is the cheer leaders, The squad is at least twice as big as Cal. And they are actually good looking. A real benefit for a dirty old man. Nobody hustles you out the door at the end of the game. Many fans stick around to socialize after the game. Knowlton should come to Reno to see what a real college game is like. I'm sure this post will piss off Cal fans who don't like to face reality.

Comparing apples to oranges.

The first difference you cite is crowd size. Unfair to compare Reno to Bay Area. Also one team has had recent success. The other is coming off arguably the worst season in program history

The second difference you cite is size and appearance of the cheerleaders. What would you like cal to do about that? I mean, I guess we could offer full scholarships based on appearance? Is that what you are suggesting?

The third difference you cite is kicking people out over the game. That's a fair complaint. But not sure if that's consistently happening after every game or it was an isolated incident last game simply because it was really late. If the latter, I'm willing to give cal a reluctant pass.

Look, it's obviously not a great atmosphere at haas right now. Some of that probably has to do with cal's game day management. But most has to do with cal just being crappy at basketball the past few years.

oskidunker
The blond cheerleader wearing blue sequins is very attractive. Focus on the positive.
Go Bears!
UrsaMajor
helltopay1 said:

m2bear: please review your comment. Cautious has a first amendment right ( remember the first amendment) to express his frustrations and feelings. he is unhappy with much of the Cal experience regarding basketball. So am I. So is anyone who cares deeply about Cal basketball. So, in the future, address complaints with respect. BTW, his name is in the Haas lobby as befits donors who contributed to the building off Haas. That fact alone should garner him some respect. Personal ad hominem attacks have no place on this board. I have been instructed by the Moderator to post my political thoughts on the OT forum. Fair enough..I hope the moderator will advise you to think twice before resorting to personal insults.
Just to clear the record: Cautious does NOT have 1st amendment right to express his frustrations and feelings. You might want to re-read the 1st Amendment (or read it for the 1st time). It ONLY speaks to Congress (i.e., the government) preventing free speech. Privately owned message boards (or newspapers or families during Thanksgiving) have the right to censor anything they want. Oh, and for the record, no one is censoring Cautious here, just criticizing the post.
joe amos yaks
oskidunker said:

We've been having issues with the computers/software that run the scoreboard ever since the power outages. It's an issue that we are aware of and trying to resolve.

This from Gordon.

OK, Gordo'.
The default settings were reset by the outages. Reboot and reset. . . or run silent.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
MSaviolives
UrsaMajor said:

helltopay1 said:

Just to clear the record: Cautious does NOT have 1st amendment right to express his frustrations and feelings. You might want to re-read the 1st Amendment (or read it for the 1st time). It ONLY speaks to Congress (i.e., the government) preventing free speech. Privately owned message boards (or newspapers or families during Thanksgiving) have the right to censor anything they want. Oh, and for the record, no one is censoring Cautious here, just criticizing the post.
While I agree on your comment about the 1st Amendment, m2's comment went far past a criticism of the post--it was a flat out ad hominem attack--calling the OP a miserable human being, a troll, a coward and an embarrassment to the Cal community. That is not a post that any of us should be defending.
bearchamp
The lack of positive "game day" atmosphere is due to the inane "entertainment", including the offensively loud, piped music and chants. Really, does anybody like, enjoy the "clap your hands" tape? Making the experience unique to Cal (the Cal band, for instance) instead of a wannabe NBA experience is what will enhance the game day experience. College experience is built on traditions and a sense of identity. The present cacophony, sterile and generic undermines the "Cal" experience.
tequila4kapp
GMP said:

1. What time did the game end. At almost 10:30pm? I understand where you're coming from but you should also consider that a lot of people are still working and the arena needs to be cleared before they can do their jobs. I'm sure they have families they'd like to get home to.

7. LOLLLLL. I laughed so hard at this. See point 1, which I wrote before I even saw this. You're gonna b-tch now about getting home so late? What time do you think the employees who had to keep working long after you left got home? Can you think of anyone but yourself?

The OP is a paying customer. His interests trump the interests of people working the game. And he has every right to complain about getting pushed out of the place like that.

Also, weak sauce by the OP for changing his handle to make this post.
socaltownie
ducky23 said:

caltagjohnson said:

Comparing apples to oranges.

The first difference you cite is crowd size. Unfair to compare Reno to Bay Area. Also one team has had recent success. The other is coming off arguably the worst season in program history

The second difference you cite is size and appearance of the cheerleaders. What would you like cal to do about that? I mean, I guess we could offer full scholarships based on appearance? Is that what you are suggesting?

The third difference you cite is kicking people out over the game. That's a fair complaint. But not sure if that's consistently happening after every game or it was an isolated incident last game simply because it was really late. If the latter, I'm willing to give cal a reluctant pass.

Look, it's obviously not a great atmosphere at haas right now. Some of that probably has to do with cal's game day management. But most has to do with cal just being crappy at basketball the past few years.

1) Yeah - apples to oranges and it is what it is.
2) Remember, Haas ROCKED (it was SCT Jr's FIRST Bear BB game) when we took down Arizona when they were ranked #1. Haas can be amazing. We just need to get back to winning basketball, get the student engaged and them it is a great venue.

Take care of your Chicken
WalterSobchak
OK I'll pile on. We gave up our season tickets after almost 30 consecutive seasons a few years ago and it has been one of the best decisions we ever made. Zero regrets. Honestly I'm ot sure what it would take to get me back into Haas at this point. Here are my grievances in order of impact on my decision not to renew:

1) Rude and aggressive event staff while entering and immediately following games, with multiple verbal altercations and at least one physical threat
2) Total lack of follow through from internal Cal staff re: my complaints about event staff following serious verbal harassment incident
3) Significantly increasing rate of contentious interactions with other fans who either moved down or bought single game tickets and then refused to vacate our seats
4) Arbitrary availability of preferred entrance, sometimes clearly at the whim of the event staff who like to play games for their own amusement (which led to disputes)
5) General difficulty entering arena due to untrained staff, habit of minimally staffing based on predicted attendance, and ridiculously outdated barcode scanners
6) Lack of consistent ventilation and climate control inside the arena causing regular occurrence of unpleasant temps (both too hot and too cold) and stagnant, unhealthy air leading to sickness
7) Lack of basic replay competence makes TV experience superior in many respects
8) Habit of removing stats from new scoreboards (center and ends) during play and at halftime to show ads and other promotions has eroded arena experience
9) Consistently dirty "premium" bench seats, often requiring me to go to the bathroom to get a wet towel to clean them before I could sit
10) Air of entitlement during renewal process clearly communicating that I was taken for granted and not valued as a customer
11) Absence of any acknowledgment whatsoever of appreciation for my continued patronage
12) Zero outreach to try to understand why I was considering not renewing after I informed my rep I was undecided
13) General dissatisfaction with AD interactions, "Gold Standard" (LMFAO), and account structure/features
14) Lack of quality nonconference opponents coupled with single game and mini-pack ticket promotions that undercut season ticket value and make it crystal clear buying season tickets is purely donative
15) Loudness of music during player introductions and sometimes during the game (in general I am fine with both recorded and band music)
16) Little realistic outlook for significant future record improvement with the GPA quota imposed on the revenue sports, which IMO is particularly untenable in men's basketball due to methodology
17) Lack of enjoyment based on record/results made attendance feel like a chore rather than fun
18) Inability to find suitable chairback upgrade for our group to remain together coupled with general unwillingness to waste more money despite ability to do so
oskidunker
How did you like the Concessions?

Strange people would not vacate your seats. Gordon is removing people all the time. Saw him move unlv people in section 1 last night. He is pretty diligent .

If you come late, you run the risk of seat jumpers. Most people move at half time. If you stay in the club room too long it becomes problematic.
Go Bears!
WalterSobchak
Concessions are a non-factor for me, so I have no opinion on them. I typically got to games during or right before the National Anthem and stayed in my seat until the final buzzer. Sometimes I would go up to the top and outside on one of the stair landings to get fresh air. Occasionally I would go over to talk with someone I know if I saw him on the scoreboard screen. I never went to get an usher for the interlopers, I just asked them to move myself. Historically this worked fine. Towards the end it increasingly did not. Several were verbally hostile, which I am equipped to handle but do not enjoy having to deal with.
Big C
I started a thread after the Pepperdine game last week, expressing some of these same concerns (my main complaint was about too high a volume and timeout/halftime promotions that were inane and irrelevant).

I'd have more sympathy about event staff needing to get home at a reasonable hour and Cal not having to pay overtime, except I've seen the event staff attempt to clear the stands after other, earlier games, as well.

I'm worried that somebody in the Athletic Department is going to read the original post in this thread and that their solution is going to be to get on the Straw Hat Band leader's head phones at the end of games and tell him/her to have the Band stop playing and leave right at the end of the game. Problem solved, right? Sigh...
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.