What's the word on KK

2,698 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Civil Bear
calfanz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's the word on Kuany Kuany?

Injury? Timetable ?
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Secret.
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Secret??????Lame.....
ducky23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We could definitely use anyone who can rebound/block some shots

helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dear ducky: I know lots of athletes who rebound and block shots..regrettably, none of them go to Cal.
Pigskin Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calfanz said:

What's the word on Kuany Kuany?

Injury? Timetable ?
He's not coming back to Judas Priest
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
helltopay1 said:

dear ducky: I know lots of athletes who rebound and block shots..regrettably, none of them go to Cal.
We've had our share, just not lately. Imhoff, Presley, Truitt, Yogi Stewart, Hardin, Jamal Sampson, David Kravish, and I probably left someone out.
bruab2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

dear ducky: I know lots of athletes who rebound and block shots..regrettably, none of them go to Cal.
We've had our share, just not lately. Imhoff, Presley, Truitt, Yogi Stewart, Hardin, Jamal Sampson, David Kravish, and I probably left someone out.
Leonard Taylor, Roy Fisher, Brian Hendrick, Richard Solomon, Shareef, Leon Powe, Ivan Rabb
(Hardin was still my favorite, if only he could shoot)
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bruab2 said:

SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

dear ducky: I know lots of athletes who rebound and block shots..regrettably, none of them go to Cal.
We've had our share, just not lately. Imhoff, Presley, Truitt, Yogi Stewart, Hardin, Jamal Sampson, David Kravish, and I probably left someone out.
Leonard Taylor, Roy Fisher, Brian Hendrick, Richard Solomon, Shareef, Leon Powe, Ivan Rabb
(Hardin was still my favorite, if only he could shoot)
this gives me the opening to (again) post videos of one of my all time fav Bears. I loved Devon's energy and enthusiasm as he would always try to pump up the crowd. But most of all, I liked how he gave our team swagger as everyone knew we had the baddest player on the court (I even remember the top Big in the conference answering a question "who is the toughest player to go up against" and he said Devon Hardin at Cal)



You gotta watch this one just for the last highlight:


oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thats all he could do
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bruab2 said:

SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

dear ducky: I know lots of athletes who rebound and block shots..regrettably, none of them go to Cal.
We've had our share, just not lately. Imhoff, Presley, Truitt, Yogi Stewart, Hardin, Jamal Sampson, David Kravish, and I probably left someone out.
Leonard Taylor, Roy Fisher, Brian Hendrick, Richard Solomon, Shareef, Leon Powe, Ivan Rabb
(Hardin was still my favorite, if only he could shoot)

Statistics for shot blocking are not available prior to 1979, none that I could find, anyway. David Kravish had 73 blocks in 2014, a Cal record. No one else is even close.

As I remember them, the best rebounders/shot blockers at Cal prior to 1979 were Bob Presley, Darrall Imhoff, and Ansley Truitt. Bob Presley had 27 rebounds against St Marys, and had 6 twenty-rebound games in 1968


Here is a list of Cal's All-time best list of Cal players who excelled at rebounding or shot blocking or both. (and as I said in an earlier post, "I probably left some out"):

1. Bob Presley 12.8 rebounds per game, ? Shot Blocks
2. Ansley Truitt 11.8, ?
3. Darrall Imhoff ('59, and '60) 11.7, ?
4. Mark McNamara 11.6, 0.8
5. Leon Powe 9.8, 0.6
6. Ivan Rabb 9.4, 1.1
6. Stu Watterson 9.4, ?
8. Ryan Anderson 9.0, 0.5
9. Brian Hendrick 8.8, 1.0
10. Shareef Abdur-Rahim 8.4, 1.3
11. Doug True 8.0, 0.8
12. Leonard Taylor 7.5, 0.5
13. Sean Lampley 7.2, 0,6
14. Richard Solomon 7.0, 1.1
14. Dave Butler 7.0, 0.5
14. Charles Johnson 7.0, ?
17. Lamond Murray 6.8, 0.9
17. David Kravish 6.8, 1.6
19. Jamal Sampson 6.5, 1.7
20. Devon Hardin 6.4, 1.3
21. Michael Pitts 6.2, 0.5
21. Roy Fisher 6.2, 0.4
23. Jason Kidd 5.9, 0.3
24. Francisco Elson 5.0, 1.2
25. Michael Stewart 4.7, 1.8
26. Kingsley Okoroh 3.8, 1.6
27. Solomon Hughes 3.5, 1.0

Since 1979, the best shot blockers are:

1. Stewart 1.8
2. Sampson 1.7
3. Kravish 1.6
3. Okoroh 1.6
5. Shareef 1.3
5. Hardin 1.3
7. Elson 1.2
8. Rabb 1.1
8. Solomon 1.1
10. Hendrick 1.0
10. Hughes 1.0
12. Murray 0.9
12. McNamara 0.8










Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whatever happened to David Kravish? Did he end up going to med school? Great Golden Bear!

==Edit== I googled him. David Kravish has been playing in Europe. Different teams in Eastern Europe, currently in Spain.
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCityBear said:

Here is a list of Cal's All-time Best Rebounders:
Let me add Kristine Anigwe, who averaged 10.97 rebounds over her career and 16.15 in her senior season. Not to mention a 30-point 30-rebound game at WSU which will be in the Cal record books for a long time.
FuzzyWuzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCityBear said:

bruab2 said:

SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

dear ducky: I know lots of athletes who rebound and block shots..regrettably, none of them go to Cal.
We've had our share, just not lately. Imhoff, Presley, Truitt, Yogi Stewart, Hardin, Jamal Sampson, David Kravish, and I probably left someone out.
Leonard Taylor, Roy Fisher, Brian Hendrick, Richard Solomon, Shareef, Leon Powe, Ivan Rabb
(Hardin was still my favorite, if only he could shoot)

Statistics for shot blocking are not available prior to 1979, none that I could find, anyway. David Kravish had 73 blocks in 2014, a Cal record. No one else is even close.

As I remember them, the best rebounders/shot blockers at Cal prior to 1979 were Bob Presley, Darrall Imhoff, and Ansley Truitt. Bob Presley had 27 rebounds against St Marys, and had 6 twenty-rebound games in 1968


Here is a list of Cal's All-time Best Rebounders:

1. Bob Presley 12.8 rebounds per game
2. Ansley Truitt 11.8
3. Darrall Imhoff ('59, and '60) 11.7
4. Mark McNamara 11.6, 0.8 Shot Blocks
5. Leon Powe 9.8, 0.6
6. Ivan Rabb 9.4, 1.1
7. Ryan Anderson 9.0, 0.5
8. Brian Hendrick 8.8, 1.0
9. Shareef Abdur-Rahim 8.4, 1.3
10. Leonard Taylor 7.5, 0.5
11. Richard Solomon 7.0, 1.1
11. Dave Butler 7.0, 0.5
11. Lamond Murray 6.8, 0.9
12. David Kravish 6.8, 1.6
13. Jamal Sampson 6.5, 1.7
14. Devon Hardin 6.4, 1.3
15. Michael Pitts 6.2, 0.5
15. Roy Fisher 6.2, 0.4
16. Francisco Elson 5.0, 1.2
17. Michael Stewart 4.7, 1.8
18. Solomon Hughes 3.5, 1.0

Since 1979, the best shot blockers are:

1. Stewart 1.8
2. Sampson 1.7
3. Kravish 1.6
4. Shareef 1.3
5. Hardin 1.3
6. Elson 1.2
7. Rabb 1.1
8. Solomon 1.1
9. Hendrick 1.0
10. Hughes 1.0
11. Murray 0.9
12. McNamara 0.8











A little surprised that Jason Kidd didn't make that first list. Sean Lampley, too.
Pigskin Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

bruab2 said:

SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

dear ducky: I know lots of athletes who rebound and block shots..regrettably, none of them go to Cal.
We've had our share, just not lately. Imhoff, Presley, Truitt, Yogi Stewart, Hardin, Jamal Sampson, David Kravish, and I probably left someone out.
Leonard Taylor, Roy Fisher, Brian Hendrick, Richard Solomon, Shareef, Leon Powe, Ivan Rabb
(Hardin was still my favorite, if only he could shoot)

Statistics for shot blocking are not available prior to 1979, none that I could find, anyway. David Kravish had 73 blocks in 2014, a Cal record. No one else is even close.

As I remember them, the best rebounders/shot blockers at Cal prior to 1979 were Bob Presley, Darrall Imhoff, and Ansley Truitt. Bob Presley had 27 rebounds against St Marys, and had 6 twenty-rebound games in 1968


Here is a list of Cal's All-time Best Rebounders:

1. Bob Presley 12.8 rebounds per game
2. Ansley Truitt 11.8
3. Darrall Imhoff ('59, and '60) 11.7
4. Mark McNamara 11.6, 0.8 Shot Blocks
5. Leon Powe 9.8, 0.6
6. Ivan Rabb 9.4, 1.1
7. Ryan Anderson 9.0, 0.5
8. Brian Hendrick 8.8, 1.0
9. Shareef Abdur-Rahim 8.4, 1.3
10. Leonard Taylor 7.5, 0.5
11. Richard Solomon 7.0, 1.1
11. Dave Butler 7.0, 0.5
11. Lamond Murray 6.8, 0.9
12. David Kravish 6.8, 1.6
13. Jamal Sampson 6.5, 1.7
14. Devon Hardin 6.4, 1.3
15. Michael Pitts 6.2, 0.5
15. Roy Fisher 6.2, 0.4
16. Francisco Elson 5.0, 1.2
17. Michael Stewart 4.7, 1.8
18. Solomon Hughes 3.5, 1.0

Since 1979, the best shot blockers are:

1. Stewart 1.8
2. Sampson 1.7
3. Kravish 1.6
4. Shareef 1.3
5. Hardin 1.3
6. Elson 1.2
7. Rabb 1.1
8. Solomon 1.1
9. Hendrick 1.0
10. Hughes 1.0
11. Murray 0.9
12. McNamara 0.8A little surprised that Jason Kidd didn't make that first list. Sean Lampley, too.

That's because like most things SFCity posts without attribution (a.k.a. everything SFCity posts), he makes mistakes, doesn't check his work, and doesn't stop to think that some things don't make sense

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/sean-lampley-1.html

7.2 rbg, which would put him at #11.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jason-kidd-1.html

5.9 rbg, which would put him ahead of Elson.

I'd look up more, but honestly it's just exhausting having to constantly fact-check for people on this website who should do their own fact checking before posting.

bearup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pigskin said:

That's because like most things SFCity posts without attribution (a.k.a. everything SFCity posts), he makes mistakes, doesn't check his work, and doesn't stop to think that some things don't make sense

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/sean-lampley-1.html

7.2 rbg, which would put him at #11.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jason-kidd-1.html

5.9 rbg, which would put him ahead of Elson.

I'd look up more, but honestly it's just exhausting having to constantly fact-check for people on this website who should do their own fact checking before posting.


+1000

Thanks. I've been using reference for a number of years...........as has SFCityBear
Being a Cal fan: You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dear Pigskin: Stick to football, and lose the ungrateful snark. Sf City has forgotten more about Cal basketball & football than you will ever know. At his age & infirmities, he is entitled to a few factual errors. Your snark was gratuitous and ungrateful.
Pigskin Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pigskin Pete said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

bruab2 said:

SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

dear ducky: I know lots of athletes who rebound and block shots..regrettably, none of them go to Cal.
We've had our share, just not lately. Imhoff, Presley, Truitt, Yogi Stewart, Hardin, Jamal Sampson, David Kravish, and I probably left someone out.
Leonard Taylor, Roy Fisher, Brian Hendrick, Richard Solomon, Shareef, Leon Powe, Ivan Rabb
(Hardin was still my favorite, if only he could shoot)

Statistics for shot blocking are not available prior to 1979, none that I could find, anyway. David Kravish had 73 blocks in 2014, a Cal record. No one else is even close.

As I remember them, the best rebounders/shot blockers at Cal prior to 1979 were Bob Presley, Darrall Imhoff, and Ansley Truitt. Bob Presley had 27 rebounds against St Marys, and had 6 twenty-rebound games in 1968


Here is a list of Cal's All-time Best Rebounders:

1. Bob Presley 12.8 rebounds per game
2. Ansley Truitt 11.8
3. Darrall Imhoff ('59, and '60) 11.7
4. Mark McNamara 11.6, 0.8 Shot Blocks
5. Leon Powe 9.8, 0.6
6. Ivan Rabb 9.4, 1.1
7. Ryan Anderson 9.0, 0.5
8. Brian Hendrick 8.8, 1.0
9. Shareef Abdur-Rahim 8.4, 1.3
10. Leonard Taylor 7.5, 0.5
11. Richard Solomon 7.0, 1.1
11. Dave Butler 7.0, 0.5
11. Lamond Murray 6.8, 0.9
12. David Kravish 6.8, 1.6
13. Jamal Sampson 6.5, 1.7
14. Devon Hardin 6.4, 1.3
15. Michael Pitts 6.2, 0.5
15. Roy Fisher 6.2, 0.4
16. Francisco Elson 5.0, 1.2
17. Michael Stewart 4.7, 1.8
18. Solomon Hughes 3.5, 1.0

Since 1979, the best shot blockers are:

1. Stewart 1.8
2. Sampson 1.7
3. Kravish 1.6
4. Shareef 1.3
5. Hardin 1.3
6. Elson 1.2
7. Rabb 1.1
8. Solomon 1.1
9. Hendrick 1.0
10. Hughes 1.0
11. Murray 0.9
12. McNamara 0.8A little surprised that Jason Kidd didn't make that first list. Sean Lampley, too.

That's because like most things SFCity posts without attribution (a.k.a. everything SFCity posts), he makes mistakes, doesn't check his work, and doesn't stop to think that some things don't make sense

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/sean-lampley-1.html

7.2 rbg, which would put him at #11.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jason-kidd-1.html

5.9 rbg, which would put him ahead of Elson.

I'd look up more, but honestly it's just exhausting having to constantly fact-check for people on this website who should do their own fact checking before posting.
According to the Cal Record Book (available at https://calbears.com/documents/2019/10/2/2019_20_Record_Book.pdf)

REBOUNDING AVERAGE
(Minimum 400 rebounds)

G
REB
AVG
1. Bob Presley (1968-69)....... 49.....629...12.8
2. Ansley Truitt (1970-72)...... 80.....940...11.8
3. Mark McNamara (1981-82).53.....613...11.6
4. Leon Powe (2004-06)........ 54.....529.....9.8
5. Bob McKeen (1952-55).... 105...1019.....9.7
6. Ivan Rabb (2016-17).......... 65.....615.....9.5
7. Darrall Imhoff (1958-60).... 75.....712.....9.5
8. Stu Watterson (1967-68)... 50.....459.....9.2
9. Ryan Anderson (2007-08).. 66.....597.....9.0
10. Bill McClintock (1959-61)... 84.....740.....8.8
11. Jackie Ridgle (1969-71)..... 75.....660.....8.8
12. Brian Hendrick (1990-93).106.....898.....8.5 (I have no idea what the discrepancy is here between the two)
13. John Coughran (1971-73)... 84.....672.....8.0
14. Doug True (1977-80)....... 108.....862.....8.0
15. Camden Wall (1961-64)..... 57.....436.....7.6
Pigskin Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
helltopay1 said:

Dear Pigskin: Stick to football, and lose the ungrateful snark. Sf City has forgotten more about Cal basketball & football than you will ever know. At his age & infirmities, he is entitled to a few factual errors. Your snark was gratuitous and ungrateful.
Dear Old Man Who Can't Figure Out The Quote Function:

I agree. SFCity has forgotten a ton about basketball, including the part where it's been played much better in the modern era than it was in the peach basket era. I'm amazed, given how often he posts about them though, that he didn't think to look up the statistics on his contemporaries which he constantly is lecturing us about how much better they were than those palming, travelling, less fundamental players of today.

Snark is reserved for those who have thoroughly earned it, largely by talking down to people and putting themselves up as experts on subjects that they get basic facts wrong on consistently. Perhaps if SFCity had learned to be a little more gracious over the years instead of constantly accusing everyone of misreading his posts, I might forgive him for his age and infirmities. There are plenty of older fan board posters scattered across the internet who I occasionally disagree with, but because they comport themselves with grace and integrity, I am willing to overlook their occasional errors. I make them too.

Believe you me, when someone gets my snark, they are richly deserving of it.
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pigskin Pete said:

Pigskin Pete said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

bruab2 said:

SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

dear ducky: I know lots of athletes who rebound and block shots..regrettably, none of them go to Cal.
We've had our share, just not lately. Imhoff, Presley, Truitt, Yogi Stewart, Hardin, Jamal Sampson, David Kravish, and I probably left someone out.
Leonard Taylor, Roy Fisher, Brian Hendrick, Richard Solomon, Shareef, Leon Powe, Ivan Rabb
(Hardin was still my favorite, if only he could shoot)

Statistics for shot blocking are not available prior to 1979, none that I could find, anyway. David Kravish had 73 blocks in 2014, a Cal record. No one else is even close.

As I remember them, the best rebounders/shot blockers at Cal prior to 1979 were Bob Presley, Darrall Imhoff, and Ansley Truitt. Bob Presley had 27 rebounds against St Marys, and had 6 twenty-rebound games in 1968


Here is a list of Cal's All-time Best Rebounders:

1. Bob Presley 12.8 rebounds per game
2. Ansley Truitt 11.8
3. Darrall Imhoff ('59, and '60) 11.7
4. Mark McNamara 11.6, 0.8 Shot Blocks
5. Leon Powe 9.8, 0.6
6. Ivan Rabb 9.4, 1.1
7. Ryan Anderson 9.0, 0.5
8. Brian Hendrick 8.8, 1.0
9. Shareef Abdur-Rahim 8.4, 1.3
10. Leonard Taylor 7.5, 0.5
11. Richard Solomon 7.0, 1.1
11. Dave Butler 7.0, 0.5
11. Lamond Murray 6.8, 0.9
12. David Kravish 6.8, 1.6
13. Jamal Sampson 6.5, 1.7
14. Devon Hardin 6.4, 1.3
15. Michael Pitts 6.2, 0.5
15. Roy Fisher 6.2, 0.4
16. Francisco Elson 5.0, 1.2
17. Michael Stewart 4.7, 1.8
18. Solomon Hughes 3.5, 1.0

Since 1979, the best shot blockers are:

1. Stewart 1.8
2. Sampson 1.7
3. Kravish 1.6
4. Shareef 1.3
5. Hardin 1.3
6. Elson 1.2
7. Rabb 1.1
8. Solomon 1.1
9. Hendrick 1.0
10. Hughes 1.0
11. Murray 0.9
12. McNamara 0.8A little surprised that Jason Kidd didn't make that first list. Sean Lampley, too.

That's because like most things SFCity posts without attribution (a.k.a. everything SFCity posts), he makes mistakes, doesn't check his work, and doesn't stop to think that some things don't make sense

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/sean-lampley-1.html

7.2 rbg, which would put him at #11.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jason-kidd-1.html

5.9 rbg, which would put him ahead of Elson.

I'd look up more, but honestly it's just exhausting having to constantly fact-check for people on this website who should do their own fact checking before posting.
According to the Cal Record Book (available at https://calbears.com/documents/2019/10/2/2019_20_Record_Book.pdf)

REBOUNDING AVERAGE
(Minimum 400 rebounds)

G
REB
AVG
1. Bob Presley (1968-69)....... 49.....629...12.8
2. Ansley Truitt (1970-72)...... 80.....940...11.8
3. Mark McNamara (1981-82).53.....613...11.6
4. Leon Powe (2004-06)........ 54.....529.....9.8
5. Bob McKeen (1952-55).... 105...1019.....9.7
6. Ivan Rabb (2016-17).......... 65.....615.....9.5
7. Darrall Imhoff (1958-60).... 75.....712.....9.5
8. Stu Watterson (1967-68)... 50.....459.....9.2
9. Ryan Anderson (2007-08).. 66.....597.....9.0
10. Bill McClintock (1959-61)... 84.....740.....8.8
11. Jackie Ridgle (1969-71)..... 75.....660.....8.8
12. Brian Hendrick (1990-93).106.....898.....8.5 (I have no idea what the discrepancy is here between the two)
13. John Coughran (1971-73)... 84.....672.....8.0
14. Doug True (1977-80)....... 108.....862.....8.0
15. Camden Wall (1961-64)..... 57.....436.....7.6
I've revised the title of my list to "a list of all-time Cal players who excelled at rebounding or shot blocking or both. (and as I said in an earlier post, "I probably left some out")

I've added Lampley and Kidd to my list, with respect to Fuzzy Wuzzy, since he brought up those names, and he did it without the personal insults to me. The both were good rebounders but neither was much of a shot blocker at all.

I do appreciate the information from you that the Cal website has an updated section on Cal player records. It had been missing for years. Your list includes an number pf players who played before the shot blocking statistics began being recorded. Most of those players also were not shot blockers. I'd add Doug True to the list, but he was not a good shot blocker at 0.8. I'll add Stu Watterson to the list, but I never saw him play, as I was living in Los Angeles then, so I don't know if he blocked shots or how many. My memory is that McKeen, McClintock, Coughran, and Wall did not block many shots at all. Wall blocked a lot of my shots when I played against him, but I was 5-10 and not D1 capable, and he was 6-10 and a good player. Ridgle blocked some, but his teammate Charlie Johnson probably blocked more. And CJ averaged 7 rebounds. I think I'll add him to the list, with your permission. I mean if you can put Jason Kidd on the list with 5.9 rebounds, then CJ deserves it. I'll bet he blocked a lot more shots than Kidd.

A word of advice, don't use the Cal website record book unless you are willing to draw the ire of Tsubamoto, our long-lost guru. He ripped me once for using the Vanderbilt record book stats instead of using sports-reference.com, which he felt was more accurate. He was right on that one. But I've found a number of errors on sports-reference over the years, so it is not the absolute truth, by any means.
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kuany was making allot of threes is practice, so he can shoot.Did not shoot in the game, unless I missed it.Thorpe bricked two free throws.
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskidunker said:

Kuany was making allot of threes is practice, so he can shoot.Did not shoot in the game, unless I missed it.Thorpe bricked two free throws.
KK was perfect - he made his only shot. But was a minus 2 for the 2:40 of playing time.
Box Score
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pigskin Pete said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

bruab2 said:

SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

dear ducky: I know lots of athletes who rebound and block shots..regrettably, none of them go to Cal.
We've had our share, just not lately. Imhoff, Presley, Truitt, Yogi Stewart, Hardin, Jamal Sampson, David Kravish, and I probably left someone out.
Leonard Taylor, Roy Fisher, Brian Hendrick, Richard Solomon, Shareef, Leon Powe, Ivan Rabb
(Hardin was still my favorite, if only he could shoot)

Statistics for shot blocking are not available prior to 1979, none that I could find, anyway. David Kravish had 73 blocks in 2014, a Cal record. No one else is even close.

As I remember them, the best rebounders/shot blockers at Cal prior to 1979 were Bob Presley, Darrall Imhoff, and Ansley Truitt. Bob Presley had 27 rebounds against St Marys, and had 6 twenty-rebound games in 1968


Here is a list of Cal's All-time Best Rebounders:

1. Bob Presley 12.8 rebounds per game
2. Ansley Truitt 11.8
3. Darrall Imhoff ('59, and '60) 11.7
4. Mark McNamara 11.6, 0.8 Shot Blocks
5. Leon Powe 9.8, 0.6
6. Ivan Rabb 9.4, 1.1
7. Ryan Anderson 9.0, 0.5
8. Brian Hendrick 8.8, 1.0
9. Shareef Abdur-Rahim 8.4, 1.3
10. Leonard Taylor 7.5, 0.5
11. Richard Solomon 7.0, 1.1
11. Dave Butler 7.0, 0.5
11. Lamond Murray 6.8, 0.9
12. David Kravish 6.8, 1.6
13. Jamal Sampson 6.5, 1.7
14. Devon Hardin 6.4, 1.3
15. Michael Pitts 6.2, 0.5
15. Roy Fisher 6.2, 0.4
16. Francisco Elson 5.0, 1.2
17. Michael Stewart 4.7, 1.8
18. Solomon Hughes 3.5, 1.0

Since 1979, the best shot blockers are:

1. Stewart 1.8
2. Sampson 1.7
3. Kravish 1.6
4. Shareef 1.3
5. Hardin 1.3
6. Elson 1.2
7. Rabb 1.1
8. Solomon 1.1
9. Hendrick 1.0
10. Hughes 1.0
11. Murray 0.9
12. McNamara 0.8A little surprised that Jason Kidd didn't make that first list. Sean Lampley, too.

That's because like most things SFCity posts without attribution (a.k.a. everything SFCity posts), he makes mistakes, doesn't check his work, and doesn't stop to think that some things don't make sense

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/sean-lampley-1.html

7.2 rbg, which would put him at #11.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jason-kidd-1.html

5.9 rbg, which would put him ahead of Elson.

I'd look up more, but honestly it's just exhausting having to constantly fact-check for people on this website who should do their own fact checking before posting.


The facts were correct, but I should have done a better job with the title of my list.
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pigskin Pete said:

helltopay1 said:

Dear Pigskin: Stick to football, and lose the ungrateful snark. Sf City has forgotten more about Cal basketball & football than you will ever know. At his age & infirmities, he is entitled to a few factual errors. Your snark was gratuitous and ungrateful.
Dear Old Man Who Can't Figure Out The Quote Function:

I agree. SFCity has forgotten a ton about basketball, including the part where it's been played much better in the modern era than it was in the peach basket era. I'm amazed, given how often he posts about them though, that he didn't think to look up the statistics on his contemporaries which he constantly is lecturing us about how much better they were than those palming, travelling, less fundamental players of today.


You mean the way the last game was played? 54-50? Not a very good advertisement for the modern game, I'd say. We have better athletes, bigger size, more athleticism, more strength, and we play faster, dribble better, and both teams barely put up 100 points, which is more like a Nibs Price Cal team of the 1940s. You at least got the palming, traveling, and fundamentals right , but you left out charging, defense, and too much one-on-one play. You should read all that I wrote on that subject. you might learn something. You don't seem to have ever seen that era when Cal was a basketball power. Some things are better today, and some things were better back then. Some things in basketball have never changed. If you weren't so close-minded, you might learn a few things from the past, as I learn things all the time from Bear Insider fans about the modern game.


Quote:

Snark is reserved for those who have thoroughly earned it.


Snark has no place on this Fourm.

Quote:

largely by talking down to people and putting themselves up as experts on subjects that they get basic facts wrong on consistently.


Sorry you took it that way, but that is on you, not me. I never claimed to be an expert on anything, and am constantly learning, especially from fans here on the Bear Insider. I write about the past, because there are only a few fans here who lived through Cal's golden years, and i thought it might be entertaining to learn about it. There are things to be learned from a guy like Pete Newell, whose methods of teaching winning basketball have survived to today, even though you probably don't respect anything that didn't happen in your lifetime. The fact is that Cal hasn't won in like forever, and instead of us hurling insults at each other about who is right about why Cal loses, we might like to take a hard look at why Cal won under Pete, and whether any of it is applicable today. I flat out guarantee you that if he were around today, and Cal's players would attend his camps and take him seriously, they would be better players and Cal would win more games. Both Montgomery and Fox have said they have taken things from Newell. That is all I am about.

With all your insults and posts in this thread, you have failed to find facts that I got wrong. What I got wrong, maybe, was the title of a list. Should have worded it better. What basic facts have I got wrong consistently? You accuse me of not attributing references in my posts, so where are yours for all these facts I consistently get wrong?


Quote:

Perhaps if SFCity had learned to be a little more gracious over the years instead of constantly accusing everyone of misreading his posts, I might forgive him for his age and infirmities. There are plenty of older fan board posters scattered across the internet who I occasionally disagree with, but because they comport themselves with grace and integrity, I am willing to overlook their occasional errors. I make them too.


I should be gracious when someone accuses me of all sorts of unfounded things. You don't like me? Fine. Don't read what I write. It's a free country. And how gracious and magnanimous of you to overlook the errors of some older posters who you occasionally disagree with, just because they act in a way of which you approve. And how gracious of you to forgive me of my age or infirmities if I were to act inferior to you. I kowtow to no one. If I am wrong, I try to own up to it. I never ACCUSED anyone on this board of anything. Prove it. I point it out when a poster has missed my meaning or misunderstood something. What am I supposed to do, ignore the error in understanding? You are far to quick to take offense, and you do it with others in this Forum. Are you capable or willing to have a civil discourse? It does not appear from reading your posts that you are interested in that. As far as you making errors too, well, thank you for that. First reasonable thing you've said in this thread. Everything else you've said has been off-topic, which was good rebounding shotblockers who went to Cal, and we hope Kuany is one.

Quote:

Believe you me, when someone gets my snark, they are richly deserving of it.


Like I said, there is no place for snark on this board.
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He is pretty thin but looks like a good athlete.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pigskin Pete said:

helltopay1 said:

Dear Pigskin: Stick to football, and lose the ungrateful snark. Sf City has forgotten more about Cal basketball & football than you will ever know. At his age & infirmities, he is entitled to a few factual errors. Your snark was gratuitous and ungrateful.
Dear Old Man Who Can't Figure Out The Quote Function:

I agree. SFCity has forgotten a ton about basketball, including the part where it's been played much better in the modern era than it was in the peach basket era. I'm amazed, given how often he posts about them though, that he didn't think to look up the statistics on his contemporaries which he constantly is lecturing us about how much better they were than those palming, travelling, less fundamental players of today.

Snark is reserved for those who have thoroughly earned it, largely by talking down to people and putting themselves up as experts on subjects that they get basic facts wrong on consistently. Perhaps if SFCity had learned to be a little more gracious over the years instead of constantly accusing everyone of misreading his posts, I might forgive him for his age and infirmities. There are plenty of older fan board posters scattered across the internet who I occasionally disagree with, but because they comport themselves with grace and integrity, I am willing to overlook their occasional errors. I make them too.

Believe you me, when someone gets my snark, they are richly deserving of it.
Respect your brethren.
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sometimes weight can be gained
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It is business as usual. I have the unusual perspective of having been around in a gentler age not fueled by the brevity and rapidity of the electronic message. When people used to talk to each other in person, it used to often be in a civil manner, where participants used to think before they spoke, in order to say more precisely what they wanted to say, so that the other party would understand it, and not take offense.

A lot of pent up rage always welling below the surface for Cal fans. It is one of the things that endears me to some Cal fans, how quick they are to take offense with each other. I have written that you can't write anything critical of any Cal player or coach here on this forum without offending some Cal fan. In this particular thread, a few of you Cal fans have not only misunderstood or misread my posts, you have misunderstood and misread the whole damn thread.

I'm going to get real, real simple here, and it will be taken as condescending by all those who already hate my guts, but that is not the intent. I want you to understand what you obviously don't. I make mistakes sometimes, and I don't proofread enough, I apologize for that, and I will try and do better if I ever decide to post again. We all need to do this, frankly, as much of the animosity that surfaces on this board starts with misunderstanding electronically transmitted words, words often sent in a hurry.

This thread began with the OP, Calfanz, asking a sincere question about Kuany's health and the timetable for his return. Ducky23 then added how "we could definitely use someone who could rebound and block shots", which might be a real possibility with Kuany, with his size and athleticism. Helltopay1 then wrote that he "knows lots of athletes who rebound AND block shots.regrettably none of them go to Cal." I then posted that Cal has had our share (of players who could both rebound and block shots), naming 7 players and stating that "I have probably left some out." Bruab2 then thoughtfully posted the names of 8 more former Cal players who could both rebound AND block shots. So far, it was an amiable discussion, right?

You fellas misunderstand what I try to do here. If I mention some good players from Cal's past, or make a list of them, it is not to open the door for all who hate my guts to rip me for leaving out the name of their favorite player. My lists are usually incomplete, because it is my objective to invite others to contribute by listing a player I forgot or left out. I am interested in discussion, not trading insults, which is childish, and should be beneath the dignity of Cal fans, shouldn't it?

I felt that some of the players mentioned so far had been good rebounders but not good shot blockers, as the thread topic was about Kuany and his maybe being both a rebounder and a shot blocker. Those would be Leonard Taylor (0.5 blocks), Roy Fisher (0.4 blocks), and Leon Powe (0.6 blocks). I posted a list of Cal's best all-time rebounders with their shot block averages. My standards for Cal would be 1.0 blocks per game would be a barely adequate shot blocker. 1.5 and above, a good shot blocker. BTW, Kareem had a year where he averaged 4 blocks per game, and Nate Thurmond averaged 3 blocks per game in his last year with the Warriors. So to Helltopay1's point that not many of the athletes who can both rebound and block shots go to Cal, he's right. No one ever has, unless it was Presley, Truitt, or Imhoff. I would mention that shot block stats were first kept in the 1970s, so we can not know statistically how they would rank. We have only our memories for that, those of us who have the privilege of seeing them play in person. The greatest blockers of all time, Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell, sadly, have no stats to prove it. I thought everyone would understand the list was a list of Cal's all-time best rebounders, but that some were good shot blockers and some were not, by reading both the rebound numbers and the block numbers together for each player, and my posts and the ones I was responding to are all about rebounders who were also shot blockers, not just about who were the best rebounders. If some of you want to change the thread into being just about rebounding, then go ahead, it is your right. Or start a new thread about who are the best rebounders. What I would rather you not do is change this thread from one which was about a Cal player and good Cal rebounders who were also shot blockers, and then change it into a thread about you opinions about me.

A note to Pigskin Pete: I do often greatly appreciate corrections to my posts, and I often apologize if I have wronged someone. I don't know exactly what I did to get your panties all in a bunch, but since you are not the only one who misunderstood my post, I take full blame, and I will revise the title of my list to " A list of all-time Cal players who excelled at rebounding or shot blocking or both. (As I said in an earlier post, "I probably left some out"), and that still goes, if you will allow me some latitude for a memory that fails me sometimes.

To answer FuzzyWuzzy, Lampley and Kidd were good rebounders. Thanks for bringing them up. They belong on any list of good rebounders at Cal, but the list again was supposed to be a list of our best rebounders, showing how some were good shot blockers and some were not. Neither one was a shot blocker. Lampley averaged 0.6 blocks, and Kidd 0.3 blocks. I'm happy to add them to the list for you. Conversely, Kingsley Okoroh belongs on a list of Cal's better shot blockers, at 1.6 per game, but only 3.8 rebounds, and I'll add him to the list as well.

oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very boring.
Pigskin Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCityBear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

helltopay1 said:

Dear Pigskin: Stick to football, and lose the ungrateful snark. Sf City has forgotten more about Cal basketball & football than you will ever know. At his age & infirmities, he is entitled to a few factual errors. Your snark was gratuitous and ungrateful.
Dear Old Man Who Can't Figure Out The Quote Function:

I agree. SFCity has forgotten a ton about basketball, including the part where it's been played much better in the modern era than it was in the peach basket era. I'm amazed, given how often he posts about them though, that he didn't think to look up the statistics on his contemporaries which he constantly is lecturing us about how much better they were than those palming, travelling, less fundamental players of today.
You mean the way the last game was played? 54-50? Not a very good advertisement for the modern game, I'd say. We have better athletes, bigger size, more athleticism, more strength, and we play faster, dribble better, and both teams barely put up 100 points, which is more like a Nibs Price Cal team of the 1940s. You at least got the palming, traveling, and fundamentals right , but you left out charging, defense, and too much one-on-one play. You should read all that I wrote on that subject. you might learn something. You don't seem to have ever seen that era when Cal was a basketball power. Some things are better today, and some things were better back then. Some things in basketball have never changed. If you weren't so close-minded, you might learn a few things from the past, as I learn things all the time from Bear Insider fans about the modern game.
Quote:

Snark is reserved for those who have thoroughly earned it.
Snark has no place on this Fourm.
Quote:

largely by talking down to people and putting themselves up as experts on subjects that they get basic facts wrong on consistently.
Sorry you took it that way, but that is on you, not me. I never claimed to be an expert on anything, and am constantly learning, especially from fans here on the Bear Insider. I write about the past, because there are only a few fans here who lived through Cal's golden years, and i thought it might be entertaining to learn about it. There are things to be learned from a guy like Pete Newell, whose methods of teaching winning basketball have survived to today, even though you probably don't respect anything that didn't happen in your lifetime. The fact is that Cal hasn't won in like forever, and instead of us hurling insults at each other about who is right about why Cal loses, we might like to take a hard look at why Cal won under Pete, and whether any of it is applicable today. I flat out guarantee you that if he were around today, and Cal's players would attend his camps and take him seriously, they would be better players and Cal would win more games. Both Montgomery and Fox have said they have taken things from Newell. That is all I am about.

With all your insults and posts in this thread, you have failed to find facts that I got wrong. What I got wrong, maybe, was the title of a list. Should have worded it better. What basic facts have I got wrong consistently? You accuse me of not attributing references in my posts, so where are yours for all these facts I consistently get wrong?
Quote:

Perhaps if SFCity had learned to be a little more gracious over the years instead of constantly accusing everyone of misreading his posts, I might forgive him for his age and infirmities. There are plenty of older fan board posters scattered across the internet who I occasionally disagree with, but because they comport themselves with grace and integrity, I am willing to overlook their occasional errors. I make them too.
I should be gracious when someone accuses me of all sorts of unfounded things. You don't like me? Fine. Don't read what I write. It's a free country. And how gracious and magnanimous of you to overlook the errors of some older posters who you occasionally disagree with, just because they act in a way of which you approve. And how gracious of you to forgive me of my age or infirmities if I were to act inferior to you. I kowtow to no one. If I am wrong, I try to own up to it. I never ACCUSED anyone on this board of anything. Prove it. I point it out when a poster has missed my meaning or misunderstood something. What am I supposed to do, ignore the error in understanding? You are far to quick to take offense, and you do it with others in this Forum. Are you capable or willing to have a civil discourse? It does not appear from reading your posts that you are interested in that. As far as you making errors too, well, thank you for that. First reasonable thing you've said in this thread. Everything else you've said has been off-topic, which was good rebounding shotblockers who went to Cal, and we hope Kuany is one.
Quote:

Believe you me, when someone gets my snark, they are richly deserving of it.
Like I said, there is no place for snark on this board.
Thank you for a response that encapsulates pretty much everything I attributed to you.
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dear pigskin: Same response from me----stick to football and lose the snark. And the insolence.
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm getting pretty bored with this one-man crusade to insult the older generation here, so I'd like to bring this thread back to the subject of the original topic which was Kuany Kuany. I did not see the last game, but I did see the box score afterward, and I read where Kuany was 1-1 from the floor. Did anyone see the shot? What kind of a shot was it, and did he look good shooting it?
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To me SFCityBear will always be Da F@uckng Man!
The End

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calalum81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Based on what I saw in warm ups, we need to lower our expectations for Kuany for now. I was anxious to see him. The first THREE times he got the ball in the pre-game layup line, he didn't get off a shot. He fumbled the ball or it slipped out of his hands. I've never seen anything like it.

He did show a nice shooting form during warm ups, making a few three point shots in a row, but so did Harris-Dyson. In fact, JHD made close to 10 in a row. But he put up an airball during the game.

So, good that Kuany is a perfect 1-1 from the field, but I don't think he's going to replace Lars down low
BC Calfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First possession: dribbles into post, stops dribble with not outlet throws bad pass into lane, bailed out by a kicked ball.

2nd: dribbles a little on wing, hand off to Paris who dribbles in and hits a mid-range.

3rd (defense): man defense. lines up at stripe for PV free throw, looks an inch or 2 taller than Kelly.

4th (offense): decent entry pass to Gordon in post. Gordon traveled, turnover.

5th (defense): man D on perimeter, covers a lot of ground, moves well

6th (offense): takes pass on right wing, takes advantage of smaller defender, 3 dribbles in, converts a banker in the lane.

7th (defense): chasing his man on defense, staying on him, bothering player forces him to pass. good defense.

8th (offense): moving around right wing, south drives in and misses layup.

9th (defense) stops ball at top of key on PV's transition offense, pass goes to corner and Kuany shows good athleticism to leap and try and block a 3, it goes in.

10th (offense) draws touch foul cutting into lane from right wing. Reset, cuts around on offense, doesn't touch ball. Turnover on inside pass to Thiemann.

11th (defense) tries to draw charge in lane, gets called for a flop (new rule). Good call he fell back before contact was made.

Goes to bench.

All in all, Kuany wasn't a liability. Looked a little nervous on offense but that's ok. Defensively he shows promise. He can cover a lot of ground with his long stride and quick feet. Has ability to chase all over in half court defensive sets. He has some potential just needs reps.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.