Stephen F Austin did what we couldn't

2,980 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TheSouseFamily
GRRAAH
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Insane upset of Duke. Broke 150 game home non conference winning streak. So fun. Why college basketball is the best.
B.A. Bearacus
"The Lumberjacks closed as +27.5 underdogs at Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, making this the largest upset by a Division I team over the past 15 seasons."

Pigskin Pete
GRRAAH said:

Insane upset of Duke. Broke 150 game home non conference winning streak. So fun. Why college basketball is the best.
Until we recruit at the level of a Stephen F. Austin, we won't be able to compete with the likes of Duke.
calbearinamaze
+1000
CAL4LIFE
Pigskin Pete said:

GRRAAH said:

Until we recruit at the level of a Stephen F. Austin, we won't be able to compete with the likes of Duke.
bearister

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HoopDreams
Duke was number one and thrashed us, but besides their center I didn't think they were all world

That's why I was disappointed we could only hang with them for a quarter
Eastern Oregon Bear
Well, that dents our SOS.
Big C
If we had known Duke wasn't that good in advance, maybe we could've beaten them.
dimitrig
GRRAAH said:

We softened them up!
Pigskin Pete
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

We may have to settle for a 6 seed in the tournament
calbearinamaze

CAL4LIFE
Just watched the condensed game with morning coffee. The best part of the Stephen F. Austin experience is the fact that they play unafraid. They relentlessly attacked Duke all game and took it.

bearister
Big C said:

If we had known Duke wasn't that good in advance, maybe we could've beaten them.

It is not an unreasonable hypothetical to pose with regard to a game pitting a team projected to finish in last place in its conference vs a team rated # 1 in the country:
If you took Vernon Carey, Jr. out of the lineup it would have been a far more competitive loss. He schlonged us in that game: 31 points; 12 boards
calbearinamaze
Did Coach K bite the big one ....got totally
outcoached????
Civil Bear
Civil Bear
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

LOL
socaltownie
Difference there is lumberjacks had a 6 6 point forward who could penetrate and finish. Give Paris 6 inches and it is a different game
Take care of your Chicken
LateHit
For you wagering experts:
What is the relative football/basketball point-spread scale?
Which is the bigger upset - a 10 point underdog winning in football or a 10 point underdog winning in basketball?
I recall Howard beating UNLV in football two years ago as a 44? point underdog is the all-time upset.
SFCityBear
I don't understand the negativity here, the self-deprecating criticism of our team compared to Stephen F Austin. With all due respect and deserving accolades to Stephen F. Austin, these were two different games played in different circumstances.

Cal Fans, consider the following

1. Duke had SIX days rest prior to playing Cal at Madison Square Garden. Cal was playing its 4th game in 9 days. The boys playing college basketball today are not trained to have the stamina of the iron men of yesteryear, who played their games back to back on Friday and Saturday nights, games with fewer time outs, no media timeouts, and if you played at Cal, you often had to play 40 minutes without a single timeout.

2. Cal on the other hand, had three days off prior to the Duke game, but one of those days of supposed rest was spent flying across 3 time zones to get to Madison Square Garden, and may have had little time to acclimate themselves. Conclusion: Cal had to be tired, and Duke was well rested.

3. The venue. Coach K had coached 40+ games in the Garden, considered it an awe-inspiring experience, and no doubt prepared his team well. Mark Fox had been there, but I don't remember if Cal ever had played there. Certainly we haven't played there often, like Duke has.

4. Stephen F Austin had SIX days rest prior to playing Duke, which had just finished the two back to back games in the Garden. It was obviously a real challenge to play Duke at home, where they had won some 150 straight non-conference games.

5. Stephen F Austin had to spend a day traveling to Durham, NC for their game, and they traveled to the next door time zone. The distance from Nagadoches to Durhamn is much shorter than from the Bay Area to New York.

6. Finally, I give you this: We are now 2-2 overall all-time against Duke, but we are 2-0 over Duke in big games in the NCAA tournament. We may not beat Duke in some showcase preseason game in the Garden, but Cal beat Duke when it counts, in the NCAA Tournament.
bearister
UrsaMajor
Don't take it to heart, SFCity. Finding ways to lampoon Cal is just what folks do on this forum. FWIW, all props too SFA. I'm glad someone finally took down Duke in Cameron, just as I was thrilled when UVa became the first 1 seed to lose to a 16 (and I've nothing against UVa). Makes college basketball that much more fun.
HoopDreams
B.A. Bearacus said:

"The Lumberjacks closed as +27.5 underdogs at Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, making this the largest upset by a Division I team over the past 15 seasons."

I just watched this video of the last play in OT

this is probably the biggest play all season

lumberjacks somehow get the game into OT playing the #1 Duke at home

Duke with the ball for the 'last' possession... ball is stolen and then the player passes the ball out sitting on his butt ... lumberjack races down the court with duke defender in hot pursuit ... lay up beating the buzzer for the win

amazing
TheSouseFamily
Fantastic game. SFA was fierce, tough and deserved to win. Underscores how important toughness can be (Grant, Lars, etc...were you watching?). I was shocked to see SFA ranked where they were. Sure looked a tourney team to me.

It's just a shame that the winning layup was an obvious double dribble that the officials missed. But everyone knows SFA gets all the calls.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.