What can be learned from the results so far?

2,366 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFCityBear
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What can be learned from the first seven games? What do we need to work on to get better? I know what I think from watching most of the games, but I decided to look at where we are nationally, statistically speaking. Here is what stands out to me:

Offensively, we are #4 in the nation in three-point FG%. That is outstanding. What is not outstanding is that we rank #306 in three-point field goal attempts. To shoot it this well, but score so few points with this skill is something that needs to be addressed. Teams know we can shoot from deep, and will try and try to limit our attempts. We need to get more attempts. One way is for our bigs to get more touches and finish with buckets, so that teams will collapse on them, paving the way for an inside-outside game, passing in to the post, and quickly back outside to a shooter. If we can finish inside effectively, teams will try to zone us sometimes, and with quick passing around the perimeter, we should be able to get open looks at threes. Kelly is our best post player on offense, so when he is in, the ball should be going through him often, either to score, or especially to kick it back out. Another way is to use screens effectively to free up three point shots. Grant, and especially Lars, need to get more effective in the post.

We are not getting enough field goal attempts, and we are ranked #231 in that.

The other offensive area that we need to address is offensive rebounds. Lars, Grant, Kelly, and Thorpe need to get on those boards and get some easy buckets on putbacks. Cal ranks #283 in offensive rebounds. We are ranked #155 in total rebounds, but we could improve that. Two crucial areas where we need improvement are assists and turnovers. We rank #253 in assists and #257 in turnovers. We have two point guards, Austin and Brown, both averaging less than 2 assists per game. We rank #275 in points per game. We have talented shooters, and we need to find ways to get all of them more shots. One way is to cause more turnovers (Cal is ranked #340 in steals), and get more stops on defense

Defensively, we give up way too many field goal attempts, and are ranked #300 in this. We give up way too many three point field goal attempts, and we are ranked #289 in this. We are holding our opponents to low shooting percentages, but we are just giving them too many shots. Hopefully we can tighten this up. One thing I notice on defense is we don't seem to handle an opponent's ball screens very well. I can't tell if we aren't communicating effectively, or we are not skilled in proper defense for these screens. In a recent game, I saw Paris Austin get hung up on a ball screen, unable to fight his way past it, or run around behind it, and the teammate who should have called a switch, apparently didn't call it out for Paris to hear it, or Paris didn't pay attention. Defense needs teamwork, and right now we don't have enough of that.

I've been very pleased so far, and the difference from last year is very noticeable. We have a coach now, and it shows in many ways. The Duke game was unfortunate, but we have played well enough in the rest of the games to win them all. Against Texas, we hung in for 35 minutes, on very tired legs, which led us to a horrible shooting game. We have a long way to go, but I remain optimistic, and I hope all of our fans do so as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to all Bear fans.

Go Bears!
oskidunker
Fox wants to go inside. Its not working most of the time. Hopefully it will get better. A team
Like Davis seemed to smother our outside guys while defending the post very well. Not sure why a 2-5 team could do this.

Usf has allot of tall players. Not sure how many are good but usf us ranked way ahead of us.
Go Bears!
Big C
Our interior defense and rebounding are going to keep us from winning too many games this year. No bigs signed for next year (yet). Fox is going to have to get Thiemann, Kelly, Anticevich, Thorpe and Kuany to improve. Guarding the perimeter isn't that great, either.

The good news: Fox is competent.
calgo430
we need to crash the boards and rebound. we need more scoring from south. that will help.
HoopDreams
I'm concerned how about rebounding and don't see it greatly improving

Grant uses fundamentals (block outs, knows where the ball will come off, etc) and is already exceeding my expectations, but I don't think we will get more from him

Kelly hasn't been able to use his strength to keep rebounds out of the post or not able to jump over him

Lars doesn't have the best hands

Cobi doesn't look to have his hops back, but he does get the tough rebounds

However, perhaps we improve rebounding by crashing Dyson more, some combo of DJ and Kuany playing more (they both seem to have some potential as rebounders, but probably aren't fundamental yet)

Paris is a strong rebounder for his size/position, but that means we are more vulnerable to fast breaks. Ditto Bradley

We absolutely need to figure this one out

Pigskin Pete
HoopDreams said:

I'm concerned how about rebounding and don't see it greatly improving

Grant uses fundamentals (block outs, knows where the ball will come off, etc) and is already exceeding my expectations, but I don't think we will get more from him

Kelly hasn't been able to use his strength to keep rebounds out of the post or not able to jump over him

Lars doesn't have the best hands

Cobi doesn't look to have his hops back, but he does get the tough rebounds

However, perhaps we improve rebounding by crashing Dyson more, some combo of DJ and Kuany playing more (they both seem to have some potential as rebounders, but probably aren't fundamental yet)

Paris is a strong rebounder for his size/position, but that means we are more vulnerable to fast breaks. Ditto Bradley

We absolutely need to figure this one out
Kelly the second best rebounder on the team while Harris-Dyson ranks 11th in rebounds per 40 minutes, but no solution for any Harris-Dyson apologist ever is to put any blame on him for any fault of the team.
caltagjohnson
Cal has one legitimate Pac 12 player, Matt Bradley. Without him, they could not beat anyone. When conference play starts, they cannot win unless he has a big game. Nobody else on the team would make the rotation of any team, except maybe WSU.
oskidunker
South might.
Go Bears!
Civil Bear
caltagjohnson said:

Cal has one legitimate Pac 12 player, Matt Bradley. Without him, they could not beat anyone. When conference play starts, they cannot win unless he has a big game. Nobody else on the team would make the rotation of any team, except maybe WSU.

That's a bit overstated, but yeah, any team asking Grant to be the number 2 or number 3 scoring option is in pretty big doodoo.
59bear
caltagjohnson said:

My only disagreement with your comments is that we'll need someone other than Bradley to step up to win in conference. Everyone in conference will be concentrating on Bradley, so it will be tough sledding for him all the way. Maybe WSU, LSJU or Utah at home, but otherwise I suspect we're going to need contributions from one or more who have yet to show much. I remain hopeful for Brown, Thorpe and Thieman.
RedlessWardrobe
Big C said:

Our interior defense and rebounding are going to keep us from winning too many games this year. No bigs signed for next year (yet). Fox is going to have to get Thiemann, Kelly, Anticevich, Thorpe and Kuany to improve. Guarding the perimeter isn't that great, either.

For Thorpe to "improve" he needs more minutes.
calbearinamaze
RedlessWardrobe said:

Big C said:

Agree on Thorpe (and Kuany).

What do you think of Kelly? He seems to be a good kid....lacking in confidence big-time and, I guess, jumping ability.
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
RedlessWardrobe
bearup said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Big C said:

What do you think of Kelly? He seems to be a good kid....lacking in confidence big-time and, I guess, jumping ability.
I'd like to think that Kelly fits the role of a Pac12 decent 4. He has a nice touch around the hoop and is an adequate rebounder. Not much of a jumper. I think Kelly's effectiveness greatly depends on what we get from whoever is playing up front with him, The better Anticevich or Thiemann play, will allow Kelly to do what he does best.
Big C
Kelly is improving. He needs to continue to make strides in S&C and in his tenacity on both ends of the floor.
Pigskin Pete
bearup said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Big C said:

Kelly should play an inside/outside game. Guys that are too tall are hard for him to post up.
KoreAmBear
Civil Bear said:

caltagjohnson said:

That's a bit overstated, but yeah, any team asking Grant to be the number 2 or number 3 scoring option is in pretty big doodoo.
We need to rely more on South as our #2.
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

Civil Bear said:

caltagjohnson said:

We need to rely more on South as our #2.
South does fine against Pepperdine and UNLV with 28 points in 2 games, but against the ranked teams in the Garden, he got a total of 10 points in two games, playing about 30 minutes in each game. Against Texas, he must have been really tired or something, as he scored only 2 points, shot no threes and did not get to the free throw line. Just disappeared offensively. I hope that was an aberration, but he still has to prove he can play against P5 players.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.