Akinjo transferring

7,030 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by helltopay1
Chunger89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28213901/georgetown-finish-season-james-akinjo-josh-leblanc

Perhaps he can return back to the Bay a la Domingo.
Alkiadt
This has the smell of a dismissal.

TheSouseFamily
Alkiadt said:

Yup. Rumors of some harassment-related discipline proceedings.
Intuit
no bueno
TheSouseFamily
OdontoBear66
One word. Attitude.
tequila4kapp
Akinjo not mentioned in the court papers
tsubamoto2001
Thought he had a promising freshman season, but hasn't really shown the kind of progress I expected in Year 2. Question is whether Fox and staff are sold on Brown being the answer for the next few years or not.
Joker
Alkiadt said:

Agreed
BC Calfan
IIRC, Akinjo's coach or mentor wanted him to get out of the Bay Area. Prob not coming back if his reason for leaving GTown is personal issues.
helltopay1
dear tsub: Whether or not Brown is the answer defensively, we still need an offensive PG. We don't know who Fox is recruiting. Maybe the Moderator can give us some clues ( assuming he can share this info)
bluesaxe
Chunger89 said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28213901/georgetown-finish-season-james-akinjo-josh-leblanc

I just ran across this. Makes me think we might not want that.

After Georgetown beat Syracuse, 89-79, on Saturday, Jim Boeheim said the reason the Hoyas have won three in a row is because Georgetown "got rid of a guy that wouldn't pass the ball to anybody and just shot it every time." He was talking about former point guard James Akinjo, During Akinjo's seven games with the team, he averaged a team-best 4.4 assists, but he also led the team in field-goal attempts (12.7) and shot 33.7 percent from the floor, including 24.2 percent from 3. That's a bad look for a point guard and, not coincidentally, the Hoyas lost three of those games.

Akinjo abruptly announced on Dec. 3 that he was transferring. Unlike the other three players who also left the program, Akinjo was not named in the civil claims filed by two female students alleging sexual harassment and assault, so the circumstances of his departure are still unexplained. He was replaced in the starting lineup by 6-3 senior Terrell Allen, who has shot 53.3 percent on 5.0 attempts per game while also averaging 7.0 assists to 1.3 turnovers in the last three games. This is a highly unusual situation, to say the least, but for now, it looks like a classic case of addition by subtraction.
calgo430
we need a scorer at the point guard position. brown needs to work on his jumper .
bluehenbear
Hey Oregon, here's another transfer for you!
UrsaMajor
bluehenbear said:

Only if he does get named in the sexual abuse case.
calbearinamaze
bluehenbear said:

Don't forget Arizona.

He's been a high-volume low-accuracy (33.7%) shooter. Perhaps a change of scenery will help.
KoreAmBear
bluesaxe said:

Chunger89 said:

After Georgetown beat Syracuse, 89-79, on Saturday, Jim Boeheim said the reason the Hoyas have won three in a row is because Georgetown "got rid of a guy that wouldn't pass the ball to anybody and just shot it every time." He was talking about former point guard James Akinjo, During Akinjo's seven games with the team, he averaged a team-best 4.4 assists, but he also led the team in field-goal attempts (12.7) and shot 33.7 percent from the floor, including 24.2 percent from 3. That's a bad look for a point guard and, not coincidentally, the Hoyas lost three of those games.

Akinjo abruptly announced on Dec. 3 that he was transferring. Unlike the other three players who also left the program, Akinjo was not named in the civil claims filed by two female students alleging sexual harassment and assault, so the circumstances of his departure are still unexplained. He was replaced in the starting lineup by 6-3 senior Terrell Allen, who has shot 53.3 percent on 5.0 attempts per game while also averaging 7.0 assists to 1.3 turnovers in the last three games. This is a highly unusual situation, to say the least, but for now, it looks like a classic case of addition by subtraction.
Who that's a low blow even for Boeheim, who is already classless. He also ran a guy over and killed him after a game last season. Of course, I think he was determined not to have been negligent without a trial because he's Jim Boeheim. He continued to coach the rest of the season. How can you kill someone (whether it was your fault or not) and still coach, much less look at yourself in the mirror.
OdontoBear66
bluesaxe said:

Chunger89 said:

Currently Hoya fans are calling it addition by subtraction. Three games does not make a season though. We shall see. Interesting to see where Akinjo lands.
bluesaxe
calgo430 said:

we need a scorer at the point guard position. brown needs to work on his jumper .
Yes, he does, but I'd just as soon have scorers elsewhere and have a pg who understands that it isn't all about him. Scoring pgs who understand that it's a team game are great. When your team is better after you leave, maybe you aren't that guy.

I don't claim to know if he's coachable and a potential jewel in the rough, but that article did not make me want to see the guy in a Cal uniform. And that was mostly numbers, not editorial opinion.
bluesaxe
KoreAmBear said:

bluesaxe said:

Chunger89 said:

Who that's a low blow even for Boeheim, who is already classless. He also ran a guy over and killed him after a game last season. Of course, I think he was determined not to have been negligent without a trial because he's Jim Boeheim. He continued to coach the rest of the season. How can you kill someone (whether it was your fault or not) and still coach, much less look at yourself in the mirror.
Don't you mean he wasn't prosecuted because the evidence showed he wasn't at fault?

Boeheim swerved to avoid another car, which had skidded to a stop on the slick roadway and was resting perpendicular across most of two lanes. He then struck the driver who had left the car and was standing near the guardrail.

C'mon. I'm not a fan of the guy but that was as much of a cheap shot as his statement about Akinjo.
BC Calfan
bluesaxe said:

calgo430 said:

Yes, he does, but I'd just as soon have scorers elsewhere and have a pg who understands that it isn't all about him. Scoring pgs who understand that it's a team game are great. When your team is better after you leave, maybe you aren't that guy.

I don't claim to know if he's coachable and a potential jewel in the rough, but that article did not make me want to see the guy in a Cal uniform. And that was mostly numbers, not editorial opinion.
Agreed. Careful what you wish for. You don't want your PG being too good of a shooter/scorer.

Justin Cobbs is one of my all-time faves. He understood PG duties yet had the ability to create his own shot when he needed too. Sometimes I was frustrated that he wouldn't take over games offensively at times but that's a good problem. He understood the balance.
KoreAmBear
bluesaxe said:

KoreAmBear said:

bluesaxe said:

Chunger89 said:

Don't you mean he wasn't prosecuted because the evidence showed he wasn't at fault?

Boeheim swerved to avoid another car, which had skidded to a stop on the slick roadway and was resting perpendicular across most of two lanes. He then struck the driver who had left the car and was standing near the guardrail.

C'mon. I'm not a fan of the guy but that was as much of a cheap shot as his statement about Akinjo.
How much you want to bet the Onondaga County prosecutors gave him every benefit of the doubt because he's Jim Boeheim? Fault or not, he resumed coaching shortly after since the stretch run was coming up. Friggin killed a guy. Didn't bat an eye and went back to making sure Syracuse played good matchup zone and complain about why he didn't get a higher seed in the tournament.
bearchamp
And why do we care about this on this Board?
bluesaxe
KoreAmBear said:

bluesaxe said:

KoreAmBear said:

bluesaxe said:

Chunger89 said:

How much you want to bet the Onondaga County prosecutors gave him every benefit of the doubt because he's Jim Boeheim? Fault or not, he resumed coaching shortly after since the stretch run was coming up. Friggin killed a guy. Didn't bat an eye and went back to making sure Syracuse played good matchup zone and complain about why he didn't get a higher seed in the tournament.
The reported facts are very different from your innuendo. And I don't care that he went back to coaching. It's his job. I also don't care about Boeheim, but his comment about Akinjo is pretty in line with what's happened to Georgetown lately and is a reason I'd be wary of the guy.
OdontoBear66
Take a look at what G'town has done since he has left. Beat unbeaten Okla State and SMU on the road. Beat Syracuse at home and then a cupcake Samford. Funny thing, team is playing in harmony and having fun although with the defections is only 7 deep. Now Akinjo may be a good player, a very good player, but there is something in his personna (Uncle) I would be careful of before jumping in. Could Cal benefit? Maybe.
HoopDreams
OdontoBear66 said:

Take a look at what G'town has done since he has left. Beat unbeaten Okla State and SMU on the road. Beat Syracuse at home and then a cupcake Samford. Funny thing, team is playing in harmony and having fun although with the defections is only 7 deep. Now Akinjo may be a good player, a very good player, but there is something in his personna (Uncle) I would be careful of before jumping in. Could Cal benefit? Maybe.
I would be very happy to NOT see him in a Cal uniform

No inside info, and I'm not jumping to any conclusions regarding his situation at GT

But the coach obviously didn't like something about his game, and the team is playing better without him. He also visited AZ, so he is looking at top programs. Probably not the type of player to start the renaissance at Cal
OdontoBear66
HoopDreams said:

OdontoBear66 said:

I would be very happy to NOT see him in a Cal uniform

No inside info, and I'm not jumping to any conclusions regarding his situation at GT

But the coach obviously didn't like something about his game, and the team is playing better without him. He also visited AZ, so he is looking at top programs. Probably not the type of player to start the renaissance at Cal
Suspect a bit of a loose cannon plus 'tude.
TheNastybear
Don't want or need Akinjo at Cal. Talented but terrible leader at Salesian and it looks like he hasn't changed.
helltopay1
Dear Nasty: Nobody really changes all that much. "Experts" tell us that our personality is pretty much baked in the cake by the time we';re two years old. Minor changes here and there, of course, but, the foundation is built at that age.
BC Calfan
Akinjo should just get it over with and make Arizona official already. Can't see him anywhere else.
bluesaxe
helltopay1 said:

Dear Nasty: Nobody really changes all that much. "Experts" tell us that our personality is pretty much baked in the cake by the time we';re two years old. Minor changes here and there, of course, but, the foundation is built at that age.
What experts?

This sounds like utter crap.
calbearinamaze
BC Calfan said:

Akinjo should just get it over with and make Arizona official already. Can't see him anywhere else.
TRUTH
OdontoBear66
BC Calfan said:

Well, maybe Oregon, U$C, or Kentucky too
helltopay1
Dear Saxe: Psychologists. Obviously, Psych wasn't your major or minor--I believe this is taught in High school psych classes. Naturally, the "foundation" is only the foundation, but, the generalization still stands up for scrutiny in most cases. Look at yourself in the mirror today....then look at your photos when you were two years old..see the uncanny resemblance?????you can';t see your brain when you were two years old, but, much of your personality traits and dispositions were being baked in thge cake at that tender age. I accept credit cards also...
helltopay1
Dear Odonto: He will probably go elsewhere & contribute to the overall success of that team. but, we are Cal. We would rather be pure and go 0-30 rather than go 17-13 with such "tainted athletes." Good luck with fan attendance by saying, in effect, come to our games---we're 0-30 every year, but, " We do it thge right way." No thanks..
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.