Big props to Anticevich

5,056 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Civil Bear
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Former coaching staff wrote off Grant, but Anticevich always had a great mid range jumper

Then he extended his range to the arc

But he Also worked hard to get stronger and more athletic

This enabled him to defend and board and now he is good at both

Grant keeps surprising me. As a freshmen I thought he was too limited but he keeps exceeding my expectations

He scored 13 points although not efficiently, 7 rebounds and 3 assists, but also defender UW's 5 star big

Smart player who is playing extremely well and getting better every year

He is another good example of how a player might not look good his freshmen year, but work hard and become a good Pac12 player

calbearinamaze

south bender
Thanks, HD.

You bring an astute basketball mind to this forum, augmented by your humanity.

bearister
Official Grant Anticevich aka The Aussie Fan Club Thread | Bear Insider

http://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/85446
https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/85446
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
diva1
never understood last staffs lack of court time for him
bearister
diva1 said:

Wouldn't they have had to had a grasp of fundamental concepts of basketball to have done that? Randy Bennett calls him "the one that got away."
SFCityBear
diva1 said:

I remember he played a lot of minutes in the early games of his freshmen year, and then Wyking seemed to give up on him. Then against Stanford, Wyking brings him off the bench with Cal down 4, and a minute to go in the game Grant hits a huge three to get Cal to within one point, and two seconds later, Wyking inexplicably pulled Grant out of the game. Cal did go on to win that game, but in the rest of the season, he got very few minutes. Even Roman Davis got more minutes. I would have thought after making that three, Grant would have gotten more minutes, not less. Wyking Jones could not coach his way out of a paper bag, and his handling of Grant proves that. I don't know how much Fox had to do with Grant's leap forward from last year to this year, but he is clearly much more skilled and confident, which has led to increased production.
bearister
I think confidence was Grant's key. He looked to me like he arrived fundamentally sound. EricBear was one of his advocates. Coach should tell Grant to take at least 5 3's per game if the looks are there (more if he has the hot hand). The game timing of a made 3 can really be a coffin nail.
LateHit
Keep shooting, Grant!
SFCityBear
bearister said:

I think confidence was Grant's key. He looked to me like he arrived fundamentally sound. EricBear was one of his advocates. Coach should tell Grant to take at least 5 3's per game if the looks are there (more if he has the hot hand). The game timing of a made 3 can really be a coffin nail.
I think you are right. I would like him to keep his head in the game a little more, so he can do the right thing at the right moment. He takes off-balance shots some times, instead of getting set, and sometimes shoots in traffic with guys almost blocking his shot. And that play in the last game where he fouled a guy taking a three is something that no player should ever do. Giving a guy three free throws (on average a 70% chance of making each one, and a 50% chance of making two of them) versus preventing him from making a shot that has on average a 35% chance of a make, is not a good play. I really like him shooting the jumper from the foul line as part of a set play that Fox runs for Grant and other shooters, like South, Austin, and Bradley. The others are guards and shorter players, and there is more chance of a block by the defense than with Grant shooting that shot.
bonsallbear
SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

I think you are right. I would like him to keep his head in the game a little more, so he can do the right thing at the right moment. He takes off-balance shots some times, instead of getting set, and sometimes shoots in traffic with guys almost blocking his shot. And that play in the last game where he fouled a guy taking a three is something that no player should ever do. Giving a guy three free throws (on average a 70% chance of making each one, and a 50% chance of making two of them) versus preventing him from making a shot that has on average a 35% chance of a make, is not a good play. I really like him shooting the jumper from the foul line as part of a set play that Fox runs for Grant and other shooters, like South, Austin, and Bradley. The others are guards and shorter players, and there is more chance of a block by the defense than with Grant shooting that shot.
So are you saying Fox knows how to coach?
bearister
U$C is long like the Huskies. Now that Cal "does long," it should be an interesting contest.
Mikeman
He throws great bounce passes....interior passes
SFCityBear
bonsallbear said:

SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

So are you saying Fox knows how to coach?
Sure he can coach. How much or how well remains up to him, and his assistants. Some of his players have responded well and shown definite improvement. They don't play together quite well enough yet to be a force in conference, but I'm greatly encouraged by the improvement I've seen so far, especially on defense. When he begins to land highly ranked recruits, if he does, then the challenge will become a little different, as they may not be as receptive or coachable as the players who are less developed. It is way too early to judge Coach Fox. Let's enjoy the ride. I am.
TheSouseFamily
bearister said:

Yep, this. He's always been skilled and had a pretty natural feel for the game but he's lacked confidence, toughness and a competitive fire (maybe a little strength too). Like EricBear, I've always thought he had a lot more ceiling to tap into. In his freshman year year, I used the Josh Hawkinson comp from wazoo, a guy with a similar size and profile who was a very minor contributor as a FR and SO and blossomed as an upperclassman. We're still not there yet, but I still think a Grant is gonna keep getting better.
Big C
bearister said:

diva1 said:

Wouldn't they have had to had a grasp of fundamental concepts of basketball to have done that? Randy Bennett calls him "the one that got away."

First of all, I love guys like Grant Anticevich that come to Cal, stay at Cal and keep getting better every year.

That said, I think it's relying on the easiest, most popular explanation to say that the coaching change is what's helped him the most. He got more playing time last season than he did as a freshman, as he progressed. I think Grant would be the first one to tell you that he's made himself into a better player over the past 2 1/2 years and that's why he's playing more and more effectively now.

Kind of like how Thorpe and Kuany will play more in the future, when they are better players.
bearister
Big C said:

That said, I think it's relying on the easiest, most popular explanation to say that the coaching change is what's helped him the most. He got more playing time last season than he did as a freshman, as he progressed. I think Grant would be the first one to tell you that he's made himself into a better player over the past 2 1/2 years and that's why he's playing more and more effectively now...

I can't argue with the proposition that he has worked on his game, but I am still going with the coaching change being the biggest factor. You have to explain to me what in the Hell was going on in the mind of the so called coach last year that he didn't think Grant had the fundamental basketball skills to get significantly more playing time on a team that dropped 16 straight. It is my position that last year we would have seen similar improvement to what we are seeing now if the f'ing coach played him. EricBear would back me on this.
Big C
bearister said:

Big C said:

That said, I think it's relying on the easiest, most popular explanation to say that the coaching change is what's helped him the most. He got more playing time last season than he did as a freshman, as he progressed. I think Grant would be the first one to tell you that he's made himself into a better player over the past 2 1/2 years and that's why he's playing more and more effectively now...

I can't argue with the proposition that he has worked on his game, but I am still going with the coaching change being the biggest factor. You have to explain to me what in the Hell was going on in the mind of the so called coach last year that he didn't think Grant had the fundamental basketball skills to get significantly more playing time on a team that dropped 16 straight. It is my position that last year we would have seen similar improvement to what we are seeing now if the f'ing coach played him. EricBear would back me on this.
Yes, EricBear thought Grant should've gotten more PT in the first half of the season and I agreed. But as the year progressed, he got more. I'm not sure more minutes for GA would've helped us win more. He's better this year, especially on the boards and defensively.
BearGoggles
Big C said:

bearister said:

Big C said:

Yes, EricBear thought Grant should've gotten more PT in the first half of the season and I agreed. But as the year progressed, he got more. I'm not sure more minutes for GA would've helped us win more. He's better this year, especially on the boards and defensively.

I wouldn't yet call him strong, but he's definitely stronger which has been a big difference for him this year. He still struggles a bit in the paint, but less so than in past years - he's now much more competitive when battling. And the increased strength and confidence (related IMO) have really improved his offensive game.
socaltownie
I would really have to go back and look at the differences. One of the things that Jones never figured out was how to help kids like Grant overcome the limitations of their game - rather than ask him to be a slashing forward Fox understands that Grant can work well as a guy to shoot the three and thus isn't asking him to do something that he can't.

He also looks better on defense but I am wondering if that isn't more maturity, experience and practice than "coaching". That evaluation would require hours of tape to pick out little things.
Take care of your Chicken
R90
No, he didn't belong on the floor last year, in spite of some posters' desire to trash the former coach at any opportunity. He played when other bigs got into foul trouble and was a big liability on the boards.

Anticevich came into the program looking pear-shaped and weak. His head wasn't in it and he only modestly improved from freshman to sophomore year.

This year's improvement has been shocking and epic. Besides the obvious scoring and playmaking, his defense has been what has really impressed me most. He's fundamentally sound and able to stay in front of his man, even the more athletic 4s. He's so much stronger, too, and can (usually) hold his own on the glass.

Grant's 3-pt. Shooting
2017-18: 2-13 15.4%
2018-19: 9-27 33.3%
2019-20: 19-40 47.5% (season only half over)
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
socaltownie
R90 said:

No, he didn't belong on the floor last year, in spite of some posters' desire to trash the former coach at any opportunity. He played when other bigs got into foul trouble and was a big liability on the boards.

Anticevich came into the program looking pear-shaped and weak. His head wasn't in it and he only modestly improved from freshman to sophomore year.

This year's improvement has been shocking and epic. Besides the obvious scoring and playmaking, his defense has been what has really impressed me most. He's fundamentally sound and able to stay in front of his man, even the more athletic 4s. He's so much stronger, too, and can (usually) hold his own on the glass.

Grant's 3-pt. Shooting
2017-18: 2-13 15.4%
2018-19: 9-27 33.3%
2019-20: 19-40 47.5% (season only half over)

Some of that improvement in strength, conditioning and "getting his head in it" probably has to go to the staff. Lets face it, a big chunk of "coaching" is...well you know....coaching kids to realize their potential ;-)
bearister
R90 said:

No, he didn't belong on the floor last year, in spite of some posters' desire to trash the former coach at any opportunity.

I think that is kind of passive aggressive. 10 % passive and 90 % aggressive. Why don't you write an essay about how unfair we were to WJ, with a couple of paragraphs about the Theo Robertson incident. Yeah, if Grant got more PT last year we might have lost 17 or 18 in a row instead of just 16.
socaltownie
bearister said:

R90 said:

No, he didn't belong on the floor last year, in spite of some posters' desire to trash the former coach at any opportunity.

I think that is kind of passive aggressive. 10 % passive and 90 % aggressive. Why don't you write an essay about how unfair we were to WJ, with a couple of paragraphs about the Theo Robertson incident. Yeah, if Grant got more PT last year we might have lost 17 or 18 in a row instead of just 16.
I have tried not to "trash" WJ. He was given an offer he could not refuse (but probably should have) with limited mentoring opportunities. It really was a stunningly bad hire and helps underscore why good programs would NEVER hire a guy with such limited experience. But when you can make a million why would you NOT say yes????

Alumni with $$ should really take that as a word of warning and if our AD ever leaves need to call an IMMEDIATE meeting with the powers that be to express their disdain for a guy like "The AD that hired Wyking Jones"
calbearinamaze
socaltownie said:

bearister said:

R90 said:

I have tried not to "trash" WJ. He was given an offer he could not refuse (but probably should have) with limited mentoring opportunities. It really was a stunningly bad hire and helps underscore why good programs would NEVER hire a guy with such limited experience. But when you can make a million why would you NOT say yes????

Alumni with $$ should really take that as a word of warning and if our AD ever leaves need to call an IMMEDIATE meeting with the powers that be to express their disdain for a guy like "The AD that hired Wyking Jones"
Good on you for actually using his name. Another poster (whom I shall not name) continuously referred to WJ as "The guy".
socaltownie
bearup said:

socaltownie said:

bearister said:

R90 said:

Good on you for actually using his name. Another poster (whom I shall not name) continuously referred to WJ as "The guy".
You do realize we are doing the same thing - calling attention to the real culprit here - Mike Williams. That is his point - not trashing Jones as much as underscoring that it really falls on the (former) AD for a stunningly horrific piece of judgement that no one who follows sports would EVER think made ANY sense.
bearister
Coach W. Jones made $5,000,000 for 2 years work. How long you reckon it'll take you to earn $5,000,000 at work? Yeah, we really f'd that guy. I'm overcome with as much guilt as he had over firing Theo.
socaltownie
bearister said:

Coach W. Jones made $5,000,000 for 2 years work. How long you reckon it'll take you to earn $5,000,000 at work? Yeah, we really f'd that guy.
No one is crying for him. But he should never have been offered that job and DID hurt his career.

Cause here is the thing - do you think he is EVER getting a HC job offer from a P5? No. Most D1 programs? No. Assistant - MAYBE but isn't clear he really demonstrated that either. I mean he can probably get a job coaching at the D2 or 3 level....but even there I am not sure.

calbearinamaze
socaltownie said:

bearup said:

You do realize we are doing the same thing - calling attention to the real culprit here - Mike Williams. That is his point - not trashing Jones as much as underscoring that it really falls on the (former) AD for a stunningly horrific piece of judgement that no one who follows sports would EVER think made ANY sense.
Oh, I agree on the basketball part. On a human level, I got really fed with the "The guy Mike Williams hired".
bearister
socaltownie said:

bearister said:

Coach W. Jones made $5,000,000 for 2 years work. How long you reckon it'll take you to earn $5,000,000 at work? Yeah, we really f'd that guy.
No one is crying for him. But he should never have been offered that job and DID hurt his career.

Cause here is the thing - do you think he is EVER getting a HC job offer from a P5? No. Most D1 programs? No. Assistant - MAYBE but isn't clear he really demonstrated that either. I mean he can probably get a job coaching at the D2 or 3 level....but even there I am not sure.

Cry Me a River
socaltownie
bearister said:

socaltownie said:

bearister said:

Cry Me a River

Good videos and giff.

But I am not sure this is really healthy - Jones is gone and will never be back. Cal has, however, shown a willingness to make AWFUL AD hires.
59bear
HoopDreams said:

Former coaching staff wrote off Grant, but Anticevich always had a great mid range jumper

Grant keeps surprising me. As a freshmen I thought he was too limited but he keeps exceeding my expectations

He scored 13 points although not efficiently, 7 rebounds and 3 assists, but also defender UW's 5 star big

He is another good example of how a player might not look good his freshmen year, but work hard and become a good Pac12 player

For many college players, the big jump in performance comes in their third year. I'm glad to see Anticevich showing solid development and looking forward to seeing Brown, Thieman, Thorpe and Kuany following suit.
bearister
59bear said:

HoopDreams said:

For many college players, the big jump in performance comes in their third year. I'm glad to see Anticevich showing solid development and looking forward to seeing Brown, Thieman, Thorpe and Kuany following suit.

I would like to reduce all of my analysis to the following: I really, really love this team. It is a pleasure rooting for them and I look very forward to each game. I am emotionally invested. I'm All In! Go Bears!
philbert
59bear said:

Yeah, I never really understood the folks who saw him play as a freshman and wrote him off. He isn't going to be a star, but he can be solid and a contributor.
Big C
bearister said:

59bear said:

HoopDreams said:

I would like to reduce all of my analysis to the following: I really, really love this team. It is a pleasure rooting for them and I look very forward to each game. I am emotionally invested. I'm All In! Go Bears!

That's really cool because nobody on the face of the earth was saying this only five days ago. Maybe you can bottle that enthusiasm and give it to a few thousand people. (I don't need any, myself, as I am a past, present and future season ticket holder.)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.