Jules Irving leaves basketball team

6,142 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oskidunker
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wants to focus on academics. Fyi
Go Bears!
Callisto
oskidunker said:

Probably for the best. He was no Kyrie Erving.
RJABear
Best of luck with the studies
calumnus
oskidunker said:

Makes sense for him. He is not on scholarship, he is not playing, but he is devoting as much time in his week to basketball as the players who start. He's always been more academically focused. A bit of a missed opportunity for Cal marketing, but that's par for the course.
rkt88edmo
Leaving midseason though? Even as a walk on that's kind of a bummer. Can't be easy not finding success in a sport your dad helped define the 'modern era' of Good luck Jules, thank you for your work and contributions.
BeachedBear
rkt88edmo said:

Leaving midseason though? Even as a walk on that's kind of a bummer. Can't be easy not finding success in a sport your dad helped define the 'modern era' of Good luck Jules, thank you for your work and contributions.
I bet it has to do with his academic workload this upcoming semester. It may even include, depending on his major, off site or lab work that conflicts with the team schedule.

I know I had a semester or 4 where a bball schedule was simply untenable.
TheSouseFamily
I wish Jules well. It's almost impossible to be a student and basketball player. In my one year as a manager, my grades suffered from the 5-6 hours i spent every day with the team from practice to training table to mandatory study hall (which is really just social time). Then add to that the fact that it's both semesters being affected. And extensive midweek and holiday travel. It's just a lot, especially if you're not playing and cant experience the reward from the grind and sacrifice.

At least Jules avoided the mistake I made and left the team between semesters. I left mid-semester (before would-be season #2) and Campanelli stuck me with an F for my one unit intercollegiate sports PE credit. The only F I ever got at any level of school. Thanks, Lou. Love you, brother.
82gradDLSdad
TheSouseFamily said:

I wish Jules well. It's almost impossible to be a student and basketball player. In my one year as a manager, my grades suffered from the 5-6 hours i spent every day with the team from practice to training table to mandatory study hall (which is really just social time). Then add to that the fact that it's both semesters being affected. And extensive midweek and holiday travel. It's just a lot, especially if you're not playing and cant experience the reward from the grind and sacrifice.

At least Jules avoided the mistake I made and left the team between semesters. I left mid-semester (before would-be season #2) and Campanelli stuck me with an F for my one unit intercollegiate sports PE credit. The only F I ever got at any level of school. Thanks, Lou. Love you, brother.

What an ass. I played JV baseball one year and had to drop out from school to keep from having a bunch of Fs. I had missed the deadline to drop the classes. I always give credit to any kid playing a college sport and getting a degree. It's a lot of work.
SFCityBear
82gradDLSdad said:

TheSouseFamily said:

What an ass. I played JV baseball one year and had to drop out from school to keep from having a bunch of Fs. I had missed the deadline to drop the classes. I always give credit to any kid playing a college sport and getting a degree. It's a lot of work.

I remember when I was at Cal, the freshman team began the season with a roster of 18 players, but by the end of the season, the roster was down to 10 or 12. I haven't seen a player quit mid-season in many years, so I had been thinking that Cal was not as tough a school academically these days. Or were there more "pipe" majors for athletes, so they would not have to study so hard?

Some coaches can be pretty vindictive at times. In high school, we had an outstanding tennis team. Won 21 championships in a row, or something like that. After our last academic class, we were supposed to walk from the school to the tennis courts at Golden Gate Park where we practiced each day for several hours. On one particular day, McClymonds, the best basketball team in the Bay Area, was coming to our school to play our varsity. It was pouring rain, and on rainy days there was no tennis practice, but we were still supposed to go the tennis courts, sign in, and then we were free to leave and go home. My friend and I decided to cut tennis practice, and watch the basketball game, rather than walk all the way to the courts in the rain, and walk back, and miss most of the game. We were caught, and the next day the coach gave us an option: Quit the team and get a C grade in PE, or stay on the team and get an F. My friend quit, and I stayed on the team. Only F I ever got in any subject in my life. The coach then forced me out of our starting lineup, and made me last man on the team ladder. I was allowed to challenge the man above me each week, and if I beat him, I would take his spot. By the end of the semester, I never lost a match and had worked my way back up to #10, and only 9 players played in the matches against other teams. He had some kind of feud going with the basketball coach, and took it out on me. A real sweetheart.
gobears3000
We sat with his Dad last week and he told me that he was concerned most about academics, as he was not playing, just a walk on. After the game they were going out to dinner, sounds like that might have been the topic. Doc said he was in town for just a couple of days and that it was the first games he had been to this year.
calumnus
TheSouseFamily said:

Just one of several reasons I think a Friday night, Sunday afternoon schedule would make more sense.
stu
Quote:

Just one of several reasons I think a Friday night, Sunday afternoon schedule would make more sense.
That's what the women do.
TheSouseFamily
stu said:

Quote:

The Ivy League even goes a step further. They usually go Friday and Saturday evenings, back to back.
Cal88
Relatively short travel distances make it possible.
socaltownie
You know....good for the kid. While I want championships I more want to see kids succeed in life and that is where getting through school is so important. Best of luck.
Take care of your Chicken
SFCityBear
TheSouseFamily said:

stu said:

Quote:

The Ivy League even goes a step further. They usually go Friday and Saturday evenings, back to back.
You mean some colleges are doing what was done in the 1950s and 1960s? Perish the thought.
SFCityBear
socaltownie said:

You know....good for the kid. While I want championships I more want to see kids succeed in life and that is where getting through school is so important. Best of luck.
Well said, Socaltownie.
StrawberryCanyon
Hei Bei
StrawberryCanyon said:

It's strange that apparently nobody has noticed that "Erving" is misspelled in the thread title. Come on, this is Dr. J's name we're talking about.
I think you probably didn't read the thread carefully enough
Bear19
gobears3000 said:

We sat with his Dad last week and he told me that he was concerned most about academics, as he was not playing, just a walk on. After the game they were going out to dinner, sounds like that might have been the topic. Doc said he was in town for just a couple of days and that it was the first games he had been to this year.
We take a lot of pride in having graduated from the #1 public University in the world. It takes a lot of courage for a young man to give up basketball, even as a walk on, in order to pursue his academic dreams & life goals. Bravo Jules (& family), you are a true Bear.
upsetof86
Wow that coach of yours was sadistic. Maybe you could have cut the academic class preceding your tennis sign in so you'd had the time to walk to and from the courts instead. You were tough to stay and take the F. What choices smh.
upsetof86
True that.
bearister
stu said:

Quote:

Moderators, please transfer this comment to the Women's Basketball Board.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
Unfortunately there is no such board.
Go Bears!
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

Unfortunately there is no such board.

Since when?
oskidunker
You are right. I missed it. Seeing stories in hass board led me to believe that.
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.