Klay's jersey retirement ceremony speech

2,180 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oskidunker
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WazzuWatch - Video: Klay Thompson jersey retirement ceremony

https://washingtonstate.rivals.com/news/video-klay-thompson-jersey-retirement-ceremony?yptr=yahoo?src=rss

Well done, Klay!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
LateHit
Nice to see an adult dressed like an adult for for a public event.
MSaviolives
I enjoyed watching him when he was with WSU. As good as he was, Cal's teams at that time were also pretty good, and got the better of his Cougs most of the time.

Remember that overtime game at Haas? He scored 36 and hit a crazy shot to take it into OT, but Cal still won the game. Crabbe, Kamp, Gutierrez, Sanders-Frison, and Solomon weathered the Klay storm that night.

The games where the opposing star goes off, but the Bears still prevail are just fine with me!
bearister
Klay's potential as a future NBA star was contentiously debated on BI at the time. KAB is well aware of what my position was in the matter.
HoopDreams
SJ Merc has a good article about his recruitment.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/17/the-wheat-field-underdog-how-washington-state-shaped-klay-thompson/?utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.mercurynews.com%2f2020%2f01%2f17%2fthe-wheat-field-underdog-how-washington-state-shaped-klay-thompson%2f&utm_campaign=bang-mult-nl-pac-12-hotline-nl

some excerpts:

Bennett and Johnson used the fact that UCLA and USC didn't recruit him to appeal to Thompson's competitive nature. The way they framed it, UCLA had Russell Westbrook, Arizona State had James Harden and USC had DeMar DeRozan. "You can be that for Washington State,"

Thompson appreciated the chance to compete against the Pac-10 teams he grew up watching at a program without distractions. He had 24-hour access to the gym, where he could work on his jump shot and listen to music. "That's all I needed," Thompson said.

Johnson first saw Thompson during an AAU game in Southern California. Washington State had another guard de-commit and had a scholarship available.

"He sends me one of the most impassioned emails saying 'I found The One,'" Bennett said. "He said 'You have no idea, this kid is so special, he's such a perfect fit.'"
bearister
At least this is an NBA thread:

Damian Lillard erupted for a franchise-record 61 points in the Trail Blazers' 129-124 overtime win over the Warriors last night, becoming just the sixth player in NBA history with multiple 60-point games. Axios

Question: Can you name the other five players?
oski003
We need to give our players 24 hour access to the gym.
socaltownie
Scary to think about what could have been if the Bears were not in a coaching transition when Klay was recruited - though that said it was a log jam at shooting guard with Christopher and Theo so probably never in the cards.
Take care of your Chicken
bearister
HearstMining
bearister said:

Damian Lillard erupted for a franchise-record 61 points in the Trail Blazers' 129-124 overtime win over the Warriors last night, becoming just the sixth player in NBA history with multiple 60-point games. Axios

I remember David Thompson and George Gervin ending a season fighting for the scoring lead and both went well over 60 in their last games, so I'll propose those two. Skywalker and The Iceman - whatever happened to great player nicknames? Initials are fine (MJ, KD) but not particularly fun.
bearister
Trivia answer: Wilt Chamberlain (32), Kobe Bryant (6), James Harden (4), Michael Jordan (4), Elgin Baylor (3) Axios
stu
bearister said:

Trivia answer: Wilt Chamberlain (32), Kobe Bryant (6), James Harden (4), Michael Jordan (4), Elgin Baylor (3) Axios
60-point games?
bearister
stu said:

bearister said:

60-point games?

Yep
bearister
"Five years ago today, Klay Thompson went off against the Kings, scoring 37 points and draining nine threes (on nine attempts) in the third quarter alone, both NBA records.

By the numbers: 52 points (16-25 FG, 11-15 3PT), five assists, four steals in 33 minutes." Axios

FuzzyWuzzy
bearister said:

Tying this post with the one that mentioned Jorge: when Damian came to Haas, Jorge shut him down. He had like 13 points!
HoopDreams
did someone say jorge and klay?

bearister
Yeah, all the NBA owners to this day collectively sigh and say, "Jorge, the one that got away." Oh, and Klay torched our a$$.*

*...and that was probably yet another girl's basketball type over aggressive basketball foul that the refs chose to swallow their whistles on.

Yogi14
bearister said:

Yeah, all the NBA owners to this day collectively sigh and say, "Jorge, the one that got away." Oh, and Klay torched our a$$.*

*...and that was probably yet another girl's basketball type over aggressive basketball foul that the refs chose to swallow their whistles on.

Klay Thompson would have won Pac 10 Player of the Year, but the Jorge supporters didn't vote for him.
oskidunker
I wouldn't agree that the Paloose is the best place on earth. I went there once. Maybe Laje Lucerne in Switzerland. At least there they dont yell *** Cal
Go Bears!
82gradDLSdad
oskidunker said:

I wouldn't agree that the Paloose is the best place on earth. I went there once. Maybe Laje Lucerne in Switzerland. At least there they dont yell *** Cal

I love the Paloose. Depends on what you're looking for. I rode my bicycle across the US after Cal. There are hundreds of 'palooses' and each has a similar beauty. I loved them all. Switzerland is probably nice too.
oskidunker
Bill Walton?
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.