Arizona game thread

5,449 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TheFiatLux
IssyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Three chances to bring the ball in bounds, and we couldn't do it.
IssyBear
I liked Thorpe playing until I saw his FT %. You just can't play a guy that can't hit 40% of his FTs.
bearister
IssyBear said:

Thorpe is getting some minutes this game. He is really green and make silly mistakes, but I like giving him real experience in a meaningful game.

He needs to be coached up on FT. He looks like he is aiming the ball. We are not a good enough team to afford missing FT. Thorpe is a banger and will be a good player.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
MoragaBear
Staff
IssyBear said:

I liked Thorpe playing until I saw his FT %. You just can't play a guy that can't hit 40% of his FTs.

The students in the halftime free throw shooting contest were better at the line than Thorpe.
m2bear
When I'm watching us play... I feel like I'm watching the Washington Generals.
calgo430
we lack talent. thats reality.
blungld
The team tries hard and is better than I thought they could be, but one thing is very frustrating to watch. They miss open big man sliding off the pick and roll time after time. They are way too slow to recognize the open man if at all.
SpartanBear20
I decided to watch this game at Bobby G's so that I wouldn't have to pay for both dinner and a ticket...and I regrettably made the right decision again. Once the lead went up to 16 before the under-4:00 2nd half timeout I was headed out the door to catch the 88 bus back home.

I do not watch auto racing, but I surely would rather have paid $28 to watch the NASCAR or whosever race over-ran the Cal basketball game on FS1 than this game vs. Arizona! This game was such a mess with all the missed shots and free throws. Cal was able to get some offense going once they started attacking the basket rather than jacking up tough jump shots, but Arizona's D did a good job shutting down the paint.

Thankfully, baseball season begins tomorrow!
HoopDreams
I enjoyed watching Paris dominate 5 star, projected first round Nico Mannon

Paris broke his ankles once, putting him on the deck, and did it again, putting him on skates, and basically threw him off balance over and over. not sure why Paris stopped attacking him at some point. At first I thought it was because AZ adjusted, but at least once Paris had basically an iso and chose to pass

but it was brilliant to see Paris outplay Nico
Big C
IssyBear said:

I liked Thorpe playing until I saw him play. Between him and Lars, what an amazing opportunity for the staff to show they can develop players over an off-season!
calbearinamaze
HoopDreams said:

Paris broke his ankles once, putting him on the deck, and did it again, putting him on skates, and basically threw him off balance over and over. not sure why Paris stopped attacking him at some point. At first I thought it was because AZ adjusted, but at least once Paris had basically an iso and chose to pass

We'll always have Paris
HoopDreams
Did you watch the game
Paris had 5 star Nico on ice all game long

Ted Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

2-10 from the field with 2 assists. Thank you for your thoughts.

bearister
One tech question:
Original thread title was "Game" for most of the evening and then switched to "Arizona Game." I don't know how many thread titles I have ham fisted up and been unable to correct after the first comment to the thread is posted.
Did the Mods change the thread title or did the thread correction function get enhanced?

Inquiring minds need to know!
ncbears
wow. not even enough fans to have sold out Harmon Gym/Arena (6291 attendance/Harmon capacity 6600). For a game against Arizona. Knowlton has his work cut out for him.
Big Dog
Ted Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

If I'm an opposing coach, I let Paris roam free all day. He had more TO's than made shots last night. He rarely finishes in the paint. Give him the matador defense and wave him by so he chucks up a shot off balance against a big. Just don't foul him and put him on the line.

NVBear78
HoopDreams said:

The challenge for Paris and Bradley is that Mannon has a rim protector behind him so if we get past the initial defender there is someone to clean up, hence the poor shooting percentage from Paris (and Bradley).
KoreAmBear
Big Dog said:

Ted Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

If I'm an opposing coach, I let Paris roam free all day. He had more TO's than made shots last night. He rarely finishes in the paint. Give him the matador defense and wave him by so he chucks up a shot off balance against a big. Just don't foul him and put him on the line.

Yah that is a good scout, unfortunately.

Also, can someone teach Lars a pump fake or move when he is 2 feet from the basket? It appears that going straight up usually winds up with one of the students on The Bench.
LMK5
KoreAmBear said:

Big Dog said:

Ted Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Also, can someone teach Lars a pump fake or move when he is 2 feet from the basket? It appears that going straight up usually winds up with one of the students on The Bench.
Lars = Herman Munster
HoopDreams
Yes, agree, although once late in the second half he had a clear lane as the post defender was cleared out

When you are a guard/wing on the perimeter, you are not watching your defender. You are watching the post and other potential help defenders

When there is an opportunity to drive either all the way to the rack, or at least into the paint you do it (if that's your game and the offense, both of which are true for Paris)

NVBear78 said:

HoopDreams said:

The challenge for Paris and Bradley is that Mannon has a rim protector behind him so if we get past the initial defender there is someone to clean up, hence the poor shooting percentage from Paris (and Bradley).
TheFiatLux
ncbears said:

wow. not even enough fans to have sold out Harmon Gym/Arena (6291 attendance/Harmon capacity 6600). For a game against Arizona. Knowlton has his work cut out for him.
I'm afraid that tiny crowd is in part due to the work Knowlton had done and in turn is the cause of him having his work cut out for him.
TheFiatLux
calgo430 said:

we lack talent. thats reality.
From the very end of one end of the bench to the other.
Big C
LMK5 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big Dog said:

Ted Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Lars = Herman Munster

Over the next 21 months, the Big German is going to morph from Munster to MONSTER!
ncbears
Big C said:

LMK5 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big Dog said:

Ted Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Lars = Herman Munster

Over the next 21 months, the Big German is going to morph from Munster to MONSTER!
The return of the immortal Hartmut Ortmann!
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

Big Dog said:

Ted Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Mega dittos. +1000
HoopDreams
Besides Bradley (19 pts, 8 rebs), Kelly has a great game with 4-6 shooting and game high 9 rebounds. He has always had great low post footwork, and he's now figuring out how to score against Pac12 bigs

The issue is we aren't getting him the ball enough (and I would like to see him improve the timing of his kick outs)

Big C
ncbears said:

Big C said:

LMK5 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big Dog said:

Ted Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Lars = Herman Munster

There's a blast from the past. For you younger Bears, Hart was a 6-8, 230 PF from Germany in the (?) late 80s. He was "wooden", sort of in the style of a DJ Thorpe. IIRC, he started having a much-improved senior season, before getting injured.
Big C
HoopDreams said:

Besides Bradley (19 pts, 8 rebs), Kelly has a great game with 4-6 shooting and game high 9 rebounds. He has always had great low post footwork, and he's now figuring out how to score against Pac12 bigs

The issue is we aren't getting him the ball enough (and I would like to see him improve the timing of his kick outs)

Yes. Kelly has worked hard to improve on both ends of the court and I think he should be rewarded with a few more shots per game (especially since so few other players can score). He's got a sweet stroke. I'd set him up with mid-range jumpers and even green-light him when he's open beyond the arc. (Not the greatest shots in the world to get, but, with this team, there aren't too many great shots to get, so why not?)

Kelly and Anticevich are our only two even moderately productive front court guys right now. Hoping for dramatic off-season improvement for the current freshmen.
TheFiatLux
Big C said:

ncbears said:

Big C said:

LMK5 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big Dog said:

Ted Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Lars = Herman Munster

There's a blast from the past. For you younger Bears, Hart was a 6-8, 230 PF from Germany in the (?) late 80s. He was "wooden", sort of in the style of a DJ Thorpe. IIRC, he started having a much-improved senior season, before getting injured.

He was also my apartmentmate.
oskidunker
He was good against Villanova.
SpartanBear20
ncbears said:

Arizona fell off the top 25 this week, so the lack of an "upset alert" appeal cost the game about 300 fans.
bearister
The concession stand above Section 10 has not been open all season.
HoopDreams
Agree

Kelly can operate the mid range zone and we should run some plays for him there

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Yes. Kelly has worked hard to improve on both ends of the court and I think he should be rewarded with a few more shots per game (especially since so few other players can score). He's got a sweet stroke. I'd set him up with mid-range jumpers and even green-light him when he's open beyond the arc. (Not the greatest shots in the world to get, but, with this team, there aren't too many great shots to get, so why not?)

Kelly and Anticevich are our only two even moderately productive front court guys right now. Hoping for dramatic off-season improvement for the current freshmen.
Big C
TheFiatLux said:

Big C said:

ncbears said:

Big C said:

LMK5 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big Dog said:

Ted Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Lars = Herman Munster

He was also my apartmentmate.
Do you and Hart keep in touch? What's he up to these days?
oskidunker
The concessions have gotten really weird. The one on the upper level near section 14 has stopped selling hot dogs, a basic go to decent offering . Now you have to go downstairs all the way to the other end to buy a hot dog. Plus the hot links that were pretty good are gone. If it wasnt Bank of the West free food might not partake.
IssyBear
SFCityBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big Dog said:

Ted Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Mega dittos. +1000
My problem with Lars is that he just goes up too slow and soft when he is 2 feet from the basket. They should show him film of the Thermanator. A little anger would help a lot.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.