Colorado-Cal preview...

2,000 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFCALBear72
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2020/pdf

This is another team (4-6) that is by no means unbeatable. If one compares their team stats, the Buffs turn the ball over 15 times per game and score in the mid-sixties. Their best player by far is senior post Mya Hollingsworth who is their top scorer and 2nd in the conference in rebounding. Colorado has a soph guard Jaylin Sherrod from Alabama who is their #2 scorer (11.4 ppg) and is super athletic. Their third best player this season is a true freshman guard Frida Formann (9.8 ppg).

The Buffs only hit 26% of their three point attempts and they outscore their opponents by four points per contest. Hollingsworth is their strength inside and they out-rebound their opposition by 5 per game.

Cal has a better shot at an upset in a couple of weeks in Berkeley. Colorado is winless on the road but 4-2 in Boulder. If the Bears get physical and match the Buffs on the boards, they could stay in the game. Cal needs to make more than half their free throws and connect on a half a dozen treys this afternoon to have a chance. Honestly-I would like to see signs of improvement on the team and that the coaching staff comes up with some winnable game plans for their mediocore opponents.

I would speculate that Colorado will out score Cal by 10 points per half, winning comfortably approximately, 70-50. They outscored Sunday's opponent, Utah, 80-50, at home. GO BEARS!
ncbears
Alas, I shall not be at the game - under present circumstances.
HoopDreams
a major problem is we have such a thin bench that the high altitude will be tough on the players who play lots of minutes such as Lei and Daniels

we will have to play the end of our bench more. Thankfully we have them, but there is a drop off
Schroeder71
Is Evelien Lutje-Schipholt injured now? She is not on Live Stats-is she playing? I'm recording the game on dvr.
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Is Evelien Lutje-Schipholt injured now? She is not on Live Stats-is she playing? I'm recording the game on dvr.

Yes. She did not make the trip. Hopefully back next week.
gwashburn14
Cal took 19 threes in the first half and it's terrible at shooting threes. The defense has been putrid, letting Colo get too many open shots and the turnovers is an issue as usual. It's tough when you are literally playing Pac-12 games with two or maybe three Division I/Pac-12 caliber players on the floor at one time.
HoopDreams
Is Muca also still out?
Schroeder71
Exactly-Cal is the worst three point shooting team in the Pac 12 with a 16.7% success rate so they decide to take 70% of their shots from deep. Nine treys lofted up by our two walk-ons and Dalayah Daniels also took six. DD is 1-8 from the floor. If this is Charmin's game strategy, why not just wave the white flag of surrender?
stu
Hmmm - I remember recent complaints about our offense focusing too much on the posts. And with 6 minutes to go we're hitting a better percentage of threes than twos.
stu
gwashburn14 said:

It's tough when you are literally playing Pac-12 games with two or maybe three Division I/Pac-12 caliber players on the floor at one time.
Olson and Richie have played 41 minutes of the current total of 155 minutes. The others include 1 soph and 5 freshies.
IssyBear
Muca is 3 for 3 from 3. Looks like she's figured something out.
HoopDreams
IssyBear said:

Muca is 3 for 3 from 3. Looks like she's figured something out.

She came in with a rep as a shooter and coach talked her up as she continued to take and miss 3s

Her form looked good so I figured it was about getting comfortable and confident

So she hit 1 three last game and 3 threes today

Good for her. Maybe this will get her going
calbears4ever
HoopDreams said:

Is Muca also still out?

No she played a lot in the second half and made 5 threes
calbears4ever
Schroeder71 said:

https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2020/pdf

This is another team (4-6) that is by no means unbeatable. If one compares their team stats, the Buffs turn the ball over 15 times per game and score in the mid-sixties. Their best player by far is senior post Mya Hollingsworth who is their top scorer and 2nd in the conference in rebounding. Colorado has a soph guard Jaylin Sherrod from Alabama who is their #2 scorer (11.4 ppg) and is super athletic. Their third best player this season is a true freshman guard Frida Formann (9.8 ppg).

The Buffs only hit 26% of their three point attempts and they outscore their opponents by four points per contest. Hollingsworth is their strength inside and they out-rebound their opposition by 5 per game.

Cal has a better shot at an upset in a couple of weeks in Berkeley. Colorado is winless on the road but 4-2 in Boulder. If the Bears get physical and match the Buffs on the boards, they could stay in the game. Cal needs to make more than half their free throws and connect on a half a dozen treys this afternoon to have a chance. Honestly-I would like to see signs of improvement on the team and that the coaching staff comes up with some winnable game plans for their mediocore opponents.

I would speculate that Colorado will out score Cal by 10 points per half, winning comfortably approximately, 70-50. They outscored Sunday's opponent, Utah, 80-50, at home. GO BEARS!

It was 75-59
stu
Two Cal players had double doubles: Michelle with points and rebounds, Leilani with points and assists. Also 17 assists to 18 turnovers might be our best ratio this season.

BTW yesterday our men lost to Colorado by 29.
IssyBear
calbears4ever said:

HoopDreams said:

Is Muca also still out?

It was only 3 3s, but Muca had 5 baskets overall. One was a nice backcourt steal and drive to score. She looked good. The team cut the Colorado lead to "only" lose by 16. We shot 27 threes and made 10 for 37% - that with Daniels going 1 for 6 from 3. Richey was 2 for 8. Onyiah had a double - double. 13 points and 12 rebounds. She also had 3 blocks.
calbears4ever
Onyiah was on fire the whole game
calbears4ever
stu said:

Two Cal players had double doubles: Michelle with points and rebounds, Leilani with points and assists. Also 17 assists to 18 turnovers might be our best ratio this season.

BTW yesterday our men lost to Colorado by 29.

Turnovers killed us again. Olson had 4 assists (a career high) but also 4 turnovers, and bad passes were a big factor in the turnover rate
SFCALBear72
IssyBear said:

calbears4ever said:

HoopDreams said:

Is Muca also still out?

It was only 3 3s, but Muca had 5 baskets overall. One was a nice backcourt steal and drive to score. She looked good. The team cut the Colorado lead to "only" lose by 16. We shot 27 threes and made 10 for 37% - that with Daniels going 1 for 6 from 3. Richey was 2 for 8. Onyiah had a double - double. 13 points and 12 rebounds. She also had 3 blocks.

I really liked the backcourt steal. Reminded me of Leilani last season. Next season, the two of them will be able to exert the press for most of the game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.