Mia Mastrov enrolled at Cal

4,520 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HoopDreams
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And as far as I know, she's eligible right now.
stu
Wow! Great news!
Ashfield63
stu said:

Wow! Great news!
Go Mia! Is Ornela Muca injured since Sierra Richey played today at Colorado?
GGV
SFCALBear72
Ashfield63 said:

stu said:

Wow! Great news!
Go Mia! Is Ornela Muca injured since Sierra Richey played today at Colorado?

No. Checkout the box score. Ornela was hitting 3's today. Eve did not make the trip. Thought to be on concussion protocol.
smh
ClayK said:

And as far as I know, she's eligible right now.
refresher snip from her 2 months ago calbears' writeup..
https://calbears.com/news/2020/11/10/womens-basketball-golden-bears-announce-2020-signing-class.aspx

Quote:

Cal's third signee is Mia Mastrov, a local product whose connection to Cal runs deep. The 5-11 guard hails from Miramonte High School where she is averaging 12.7 points and 5.5 boards. Mastrov's grandfather, Bert, played for Basketball Hall of Famer Pete Newell and the Golden Bears in the 1950s and has been attending Cal games since she was little.

"I am excited to play basketball at Cal because ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed of doing so," Mastrov said. "Cal feels like home to me. I grew up a Cal Bear, having watched the women's team reach the final four and catching a few men's games here and there. The atmosphere inside of Haas Pavilion is unlike anywhere else in the country and I cannot wait to finally be able to be on the floor instead of in the stands."

Mia is a three-time All-State Team honoree and earned First Team All-League selections in both her freshman and sophomore seasons. Furthermore, she was named the West Coast Jamboree Tournament's most valuable player during her sophomore campaign and earned First Team All-Northern California honors the past two seasons. Mastrov crossed the 1,000 point threshold last year and had a big sophomore season where she averaged 16.6 points and 6.4 rebounds while scoring a total of 531 points.

The Lafayette, Calif. native also has a strong academic track record as she has been named to the Distinguished Scholastic Team her freshmen through junior years.

"I've watched Mia play for so long and always felt like she should be a Bear," Smith said. "Now that day is finally here and we are so happy. Mia comes from a winning high school and club program. She's played with and against the best and knows how to compete. She's very versatile with exceptional length that makes her a nuisance to her opponent, whether it be getting her hands on the ball defensively or stretching by a defender to get to the basket. Mia is strong and athletic with an amazing work ethic. Her future is bright at Cal and I know our fans will appreciate us keeping local talent home!"

Ashfield63
Thank you, I didn't watch the 2nd half. Hope Eve is okay, and can return to the court soon. She was missed today.
GGV
smh
Ashfield63 said:

Thank you, I didn't watch the 2nd half. Hope Eve is okay, and can return to the court soon. She was missed today.
snip from daily cal story..
> ..experienced forward Evelien Lutje Schipholt would be sitting out this game due to concussion protocol..

https://www.dailycal.org/2021/01/15/cal-womens-basketball-loses-competitive-contest-in-colorado
HoopDreams
it would be a big lift if Mia could play this season, especially since it doesn't impact her eligibility

having another guard can only help

Hope Evelien is okay. It's telling that a soph is considered one of our 'experienced' players
Schroeder71
I also hope that Mia can contribute for the 2nd half of this season. Cal had two walk-on guards take 9 treys yesterday in Boulder. Mastrov could certainly find plenty of PT at guard as soon as she's ready...

The Bears two sophs, Leilani McIntosh & Evelien Lutje-Schipholt, that have played this season-both have missed two games due to concussion protocol. I can't remember a basketball team being devastated by injuries to the extent of Cal women's bball 2020. Absolutely CRAZY. GO BEARS!
puget sound cal fan
Injuries like this is another reason for filling all the allotted scholarship slots. Of course, there is the PT issue.
wvitbear
Remember, Mia has not been playing HS Ball for a year. so she won't be up to snuff. To then go into the top college conference would be quite an experience. On the other hand, with the right attitude, she would get her baptism early. Would help her for next year.
annarborbear
With Covid and conditioning issues, and with playing in games in which we are getting blasted, I think I would wait and get off to a good start next year. Could still practice with the team, and go through strength and conditioning.
ncbears
Coach Smith on today's Beyond the Lair call said Mastrov is enrolled and as soon as she clears COVID protocol, was going to start practicing. The plan had been for Mastrov to be available for the LA Games (which now have been cancelled).
puget sound cal fan
Mia's family connection to Cal basketball, and her life-long desire to play for the Bears, means she got to Berkeley as soon as she possibly could. Like that! I look forward to tracking her contributions to the Bears. She plays a position of need for this team, and she must be anxious to get to work,
mbBear
puget sound cal fan said:

Injuries like this is another reason for filling all the allotted scholarship slots. Of course, there is the PT issue.
Right. The players that would be willing to be deep on the bench, would be unlikely to be of the talent to affect the outcome. If Cal becomes a little stronger, you at least have a chance of having some freshmen who are willing to sit because of the possibility of being in the playing rotation the following year.
In general, players seek out playing time from the get-go.
ncbears
It now has been officially announced:
Mastrov Announcement
Schroeder71
One extra guard can potentially make a world of difference on THIS team. Mia Mastrov is mobile, can play defense and hit a three point shot. Hopefully-HC Charmin Smith won't have to employ two walk-on guards simultaneously anymore. Welcome, Mia! GO BEARS!
wbbilluminati
Could especially be a good opportunity for Mia to get experience handling the ball since others might have that duty when the rest of our guards join next year.
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

One extra guard can potentially make a world of difference on THIS team. Mia Mastrov is mobile, can play defense and hit a three point shot. Hopefully-HC Charmin Smith won't have to employ two walk-on guards simultaneously anymore. Welcome, Mia! GO BEARS!
Agree. She won't have any time to practice with the team, but having a guard who can handle and shoot, plus have some speed and quickness is a huge help

The two former Walk-ons have been doing their best and are contributing (thankfully they are part of our team), but neither can handle the ball and aren't fast/quick enough to defend

Mia also adds perimeter shooting which will balance out our offense some, and hopefully take some pressure off the front court

Love that she grew up as a cal fan
Ashfield63
ncbears said:

It now has been officially announced:
Mastrov Announcement
Congratulations to Mia and the Cal WBB program! This is positive news, and and a needed lift. for a very difficult season. Great article, Welcome Mia!
GGV
Ashfield63
Of note per Raoul. Kylie Hortsmeyer has enrolled at San Diego(WCC).
GGV
annarborbear
My expectations are low for her this season. All freshman guards start off with a huge adjustment. Midyear makes it even tougher. But helpful that she can practice and get in some classes.
wvitbear
Watched the UCLA guard last night. She was rated higher than Mia. Played 3 minutes and didn't score. Mia will have a lot to make up for. Not just this season but last season when she had Mono. Still, Cal is a worse team than UCLA so the minutes will be available ready or not.
ClayK
Mia's mono was not a major deal last year. It affected her in late December and at our Wyoming tournament but not really after that. She was lucky to have such a mild case.

I'm happy to see her on the team and hope she does well.
HoopDreams
https://instagr.am/p/CKZY_8UB5Jf
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.