Aquira DeCosta back in the portal

9,955 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
bearwbbfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hope the third time is a charm for her. Also wonder if Cal will show any interest.
Schroeder71
I watched her play on 3-4 occasions for St Marys-Stockton. She is an aggressive, athletic player who can shoot from the outside and is solid from the charity stripe. I don't know that the Bears have a player on their current roster with her skill set although senior transfer Jadyn Bush might be close. DeCosta started at national power, Baylor, then settled for Loyola Marymount. Cal is winless so who knows what is going through her head.
stu
Schroeder71 said:

I watched her play on 3-4 occasions for St Marys-Stockton. She is an aggressive, athletic player who can shoot from the outside and is solid from the charity stripe.
How would you compare her to Jaelyn Brown, Mikayla Cowling, or Afure Jemerigbe?
wvitbear
When I saw her, she was the big one for St. Marys. And I never saw her shoot well from the outside. But she is very athletic. Like Cowling. But Cowling played a different role in high school. St. Mary's presses the whole game with 4 guards and a center. They shoot a lot of threes. She didn't shoot many threes in the games I watched. Willtalk has seen her play a hundred games. He is probably the expert here.
willtalk
Started working on her outside shot her Jr year, but due injuries both to her team mates and her self she never got to play the wing position. She did shoot a few 3's her Sr year. I did watch her when she played at Baylor. She was transitioning to play guard or wing. She was injured early in practice so that hurt her for playing time in that position. She played sparingly and shot 10 for 26 from 3pt range. She does have good form on her shot. I don't know what else happened at Baylor that caused her to transfer, but I suspect it was a lack of playing time at the guard position. Di Di Richards was ahead of in the lineup and started to play very well. That along with incoming grad transfers probably made her believe she would not gert enough playing time to help her transition.

She does have very good handles and can drive on anyone. She also makes smart passes. I believe she was still a work in progress playing defense against perimiter players. Probably a question of concentration, because playing defense in the post does not require the same level as playing a guard on the ball.

As I said she has good ball skills because she represented her womens 3x3 team in the World skills competition and took third place. C. Williams and another top rated guard were on the team but Decosta represented the team.
stu
I'd love to add an athletic wing. For now it looks like we'll have enough guards and IMHO it's really difficult to pick up guard skills after high school.
ClayK
DeCosta is a very talented athlete who had trouble making the transition to college. She might have rushed into the Baylor choice, and once there, appeared to lose her way a little.

If she is focused and healthy, she would be a huge get for Cal, or anyone. If she plays up to her potential, she's a WNBA player.
wbbilluminati
Sara also on the move again:

HoopDreams
wbbilluminati said:

Sara also on the move again:

Now that is puzzling
Ashfield63
Is there an age limit to play NCAA collegiate sports? She must be 24 years old. When Sara transferred to Duke, she took into consideration obtaining an elite education. Why would she pass up getting a Master's Degree from Duke after receiving an undergraduate degree from Cal? Where to next, it has to be a step down from these two highly academic and rated institutions.
GGV
wvitbear
There is no age limit as I remember. Have been players as old as forty play. It's just if you start, you have 5 years to play. But if you never start, then the clock doesn't begin till you first enroll. Many Mormons who go to BYU take a pilgramage and don't start playing till they are 21 or so.
smh
wvitbear said:

There is no age limit as I remember. Have been players as old as forty play. It's just if you start, you have 5 years to play. But if you never start, then the clock doesn't begin till you first enroll. Many Mormons who go to BYU take a pilgramage and don't start playing till they are 21 or so.
> 5 years to play

but iirc the current/covid season doesn't count toward those 5
wvitbear
Yea, I'm not talking about this season. Just a regular season and how you can be older and still play.
puget sound cal fan
Does anyone know if Charmin has been in touch with DeCosta about a transfer to Cal?
puget sound cal fan
Decosta to LMU.
Ashfield63
Per Raoul, Myah Pace from Oakland, BOD, San Diego(WCC) has entered the Transfer Portal as a Grad Transfer.
She plays the Wing Position. Would Cal be interested in having her play next season? Three guards, Alma, Jazzy and Cailyn, will hopefully be returning after not playing this season due to injuries.
GGV
wbbilluminati
puget sound cal fan said:

Decosta to LMU.
She's going back/staying there?
wvitbear
Latest I heard is she didn't go back to Loyolla. Don't know where she is though.
puget sound cal fan
Wing or SF is a position the Bears need to fill with a top athlete. Interest in Acquira's transfer availability points-up the significance of that need, when you look at the Bear roster.
ClayK
DeCosta, though, isn't really a small forward. She is, or was, a very athletic and bouncy, but slightly undersized, power forward.
wvitbear
Clay, do you know where she is? Rex
HoopDreams
If that's the case, sounds like she's not a fit for the type of player this team needs

ClayK said:

DeCosta, though, isn't really a small forward. She is, or was, a very athletic and bouncy, but slightly undersized, power forward.
stu
ClayK said:

Can she defend multiple positions? I think the chances of a player learning perimeter skills after high school are remote but we could use a great defender and rebounder of any size.
wvitbear
Talked to Willtalk a lot. He feels she could play the guard position now. Has improved her ball handling and shooting skills. Did very well in three on three.

My concern is her mental health.
ClayK
I don't know her status or whereabouts ...

I do think she could guard perimeter players, and she had been working her three-pointers. She's certainly athletic enough to develop, but that's a long, hard road at this level and at her age.
Richmondbear2
There's a big issue that you're all avoiding. Seems tone deaf to speculate on her transfer after what happened to her last year
Ashfield63
Richmondbear2 said:

There's a big issue that you're all avoiding. Seems tone deaf to speculate on her transfer after what happened to her last year
Good point, there has been no information released about Acquira. She hasn't been posting on her twitter account. Hope she is doing well. Also, would she have the transcript to transfer to Cal?
SFCALBear72
To Sac State as per Raoul.
wbbilluminati
Glad she landed somewhere. Maybe she'll have a Delle Donne journey to the pros
ClayK
So Sac State landed a McDonald's all-American ... that's a first.
mbBear
wbbilluminati said:

Except that Delle Donne never was officially at UConn-she dropped out of their summer program to stay at home to be close to her family, and her sister that cerebral palsy.

I think Delaware is a cut above Sac St. basketball, but if your point is that you can make it to the next level from wherever, then sure. This past draft had someone from Central Michigan, Pacific, UT Martin, UL Lafayette, and Towson taken (in the 3 rounds.)
wbbilluminati
mbBear said:

wbbilluminati said:

Except that Delle Donne never was officially at UConn-she dropped out of their summer program to stay at home to be close to her family, and her sister that cerebral palsy.

I think Delaware is a cut above Sac St. basketball, but if your point is that you can make it to the next level from wherever, then sure. This past draft had someone from Central Michigan, Pacific, UT Martin, UL Lafayette, and Towson taken (in the 3 rounds.)
Not necessarily just "from wherever" but the nearest D1 wbb programs to home.

Delle Donne actually first played volleyball at Delaware but of course many of the finer specifics about their paths are different
wvitbear
Isn't Pacific closer.
wbbilluminati
wvitbear said:

Isn't Pacific closer.
closer to St Mary's Stockton but I've always seen Aquira's hometown listed as Sac
puget sound cal fan
What an unfortunate roller coaster ride for Aquira. I hope she's found a home where she'll be happy and can thrive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.