Unranked Colorado upsets #1 Stanford, 77-72, in OT!

1,415 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Schroeder71
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buff's senior post, Mya Hollingsshed, scored 32 points vs the formerly undefeated Cardinal.
https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/1/17/womens-basketball-buffs.aspx
wbbilluminati
Mya Hollingshed was in her bag today. Outplayed Jones, who was guarding her, scoring from all over. Would love our Daniels to be that type of versatile scorer for us one day.

Some of Stanford's weaknesses or "soft spots", including the somewhat pretty lackluster play of senior PG Williams all season, finally caught up to them and Colorado was the aggressor.
UrsineMaximus
Michelle would be the likely candidate IMO. DD will need to improve her shot a lot to get those type of numbers.
wbbilluminati
I agree that Michelle has much higher ceiling, but I don't see her shooting three's like Hollingshed was able to do very comfortably today.

Michelle is the star of our freshman class in my eyes but I do like the DD can create her own looks ...we are winless this year but I still see Sweet 16 potential with this group
HoopDreams
wbbilluminati said:

I agree that Michelle has much higher ceiling, but I don't see her shooting three's like Hollingshed was able to do very comfortably today.

Michelle is the star of our freshman class in my eyes but I do like the DD can create her own looks ...we are winless this year but I still see Sweet 16 potential with this group
Michelle is playing the best from our freshmen, but I think Daniels has the higher ceiling if she can improve her shooting

both are super talented and have big upside
Schroeder71
DD doesn't jump on her shots and that is why she finishes such a low percentage. She has a high basketball IQ
and moves without the ball to get open a couple times per game for layups. Most of her three point shots are not near misses. Dalayah averages one make per game. She likes to drive the right side of the key to throw up a running hook shot but it is usually short or gets blocked. She needs to learn to pull up on 10-12 foot jump shots that bank in off of the glass. Otherwise, she will only score a couple baskets per game using her "smarts", a single three and free throws to average 12 points per contest. Daniels needs to learn to draw fouls when she goes inside...DD does jump when she rebounds and sometimes when she defends. In high school-she could score this way over shorter defenders but in the Pac 12 the defenders are her height most of the time.

https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2020/pdf

I agree that Cal has four bonafide players right now: two sophs (Leilani McIntosh & Evelien Lutje-Schipholt) and two freshmen (Michelle Onyiah & Dalayah Daniels). The other four star frosh posts [Sela Heide & Fatou Samb] are extremely limited. They can score layups in close to the basket and are solid on free throws. Both can rebound in a limited area because they don't jump & lack quickness. Heide uses her 6-7 height to good advantage to block shots. Both should substitute for one another and not play simultaneously. Both lack foot speed to defend on drives to the basket, to get back on defense, and hustle for loose balls. GO BEARS!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.