Rosters

2,946 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ashfield63
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There has been much debate about roster size and how many you should have. So I would like to point out several things.

1. The roster size for women's bball is 15 players. It is 13 for men. These extra two are to make up for total scholarships given in sports to women and men.

2. There is a bigger pool of players on the men's side than the women's side, and I mean players who can play collegiate ball. Ergo, you may get some decent players as walkons for the men's team but not for the women's team. Sometimes as Clay mentioned, you may get a woman in another sport who will come over after the season is over. The best for Cal was Page Bowie who started at small forward and was I believe the starting left fielder for the softball team.

3. No one in the Pac 12 has all 15 scholarships filled.

4. We had 12 before Mia. And two of those are walkons who earned scholarships. So we had 10 when the season started.

5. The big recruiting season is in the fall. You won't get many quality recruits in the spring.

6. Let us go back to the fall of 2019. We recruited for 2020 then. And we did well with four recruits.

7. But a funny thing happened after the recruiting season was over. We had three people who were on our roster transfer before 2021. And they were Sara A, Alaysia Styles, and Cayton. Plus we had Naje Murray as of January.

8. You can't recruit for 2020 if you didn't get them in the fall of 2019. But if you kept them them then someone would have to go as that would be 16 players. The point is, when you are recruiting, you don't know who will stay and who will leave. Remember the year before K Smith, and M. Forbes transferred.

9. We are the only team in the Pac 12 with no seniors or juniors on scholarship. We lose a walkon with a scholarship and a junior with a scholarship. I imagine these scholarships are contingent in we don't use all our scholarships.

10. We have three coming in next year. I will still count Mia as next year though she is now on our roster.

11. We have a verbal for 2021 fall. And I am sure we are recruiting the young lady from BOD.

12. Next year we will still have no seniors unless you count Sierra Richey. Could be iffy if someone wants to transfer here.

13. Normally, we scrimmage with men. We started the year doing that but stopped because of Covid 19.

14. To stop me from getting a head ache, I won't try to figure how Covid affects our scholarship level. But we have 5 freshman who are playing and one who is hurt. We have two sophs who are hurt. So under normal circumstances, we will have 6 sophs next year, three freshman and one transfer junior. Plus two juniors. No seniors unless you count Sierra. We could have three recruits come in.

15. For those who scream, how come we don't get walkons. Do our current walkons look like Pac 12 game changers. They are not out there3 unless they are on the VBall team.

16. With all the transfers we have been having, you probably won't have a full roster anyhow.

17. You never know about injuries. As AnnHarborbear pointed out, the two sophs who are injured were injured in high school. Sometimes you get a superior player if you take the chance and some times it bites you.

18. Thomas was injured in high school but worked out great. Several others didn't.
wbbilluminati
Anybody know how the max is impacted by the extra year of eligibility granted due to Covid?

Like, does someone's "covid year" not count? Seems tough when you're thinking of recruiting in a couple years. Say Dalayah wasn't sure if she wanted to use her 5th "covid" year now, and for whatever class that would be (2023? 2024?) we were near the limit and whether we could sign 3 or 4 recruits was impacted by whether Dalayah stayed or not and counted toward the 15 max.
annarborbear
Great assessment. In our Final Four year, we had an eight player rotation during the season, and a seven player rotation in the tournament. So everybody else sat and watched, which wouldn't satisfy many reserves. What really hurts now is having key injuries while we are trying to rebuild.
wvitbear
And even worse, the injuries all came to the same position.
wvitbear
I'll bite. Who is Max?
SFCALBear72
wvitbear said:

I'll bite. Who is Max?

I'm guessing "maximum" number of players.
HoopDreams
wvitbear said:

15. For those who scream, how come we don't get walkons. Do our current walkons look like Pac 12 game changers. They are not out there3 unless they are on the VBall team.
not sure how many people are 'screaming' about not having walk-ons. I certainly advocated having walk ons after the season we had injuries resulting in 2-1/2 total guards on our roster (the half being Green who really wasn't a guard), one of the legit guards was a freshmen (Asha)

so I applauded when we signed Archer so we had one walk on. Richie was the 2nd, which is a plus.

And this season is exactly why I advocated having a walk on.

Archer and Richie are over matched, but they have contributed. If we didn't have at least one walk on guard I think it would have been dangerous for our players to be forced to play too many minutes, and if there was a covid issue or an injury (ex: Lei's concussion) than we'd be down to 1 guard. Impossible and unsafe to even play a game

Ashfield63
There should be four juniors next season......Lelani, E. Schipholt, Jazzy & Cailyn(if they are recovered). Do you know something we don't? Also, Mia & Jadyn Curry are the only two freshman. Ms. Bush is a Grad Transfer from Harvard. Who is the one Jr. Transfer? Is there any chance it is the player from Stockton, who played at Baylor for 2 years. then transferred to Loyola Marymount(WCC). I don't think she is playing this season. Sorry,I don't remember her name.
Ashfield63
The player from Stockton who started at Baylor and is in the transfer portal from Loyola Marymount is Aquira Decosta.... Also, Myah Pace, BOD, plays for USD and has entered the transfer portal. I am curious who the Junior transfer is who was mentioned.
wvitbear
Jazzy and Cailyn will be sophs since they redshirted this year because of injury.

The junior is the transfer from Harvard. I forget her name.
wvitbear
I don't see Pace as coming here. She is a 8.0 scoring for a not very good team. And I saw her play in high school. That scholarship has to go to someone who is outstanding. Acosta is going back to Loyolla Marymount
wvitbear
Jadyn Bush is the player from Harvard.
SFCALBear72
wvitbear said:

Jadyn Bush is the player from Harvard.

And she is a grad transfer not a junior.
wbbilluminati
Next Year:

1. Onyiah, So.
2. McIntosh, Jr.
3. Crocher, RS-So.
4. Daniels, So.
5. Green, RS-So.
6. Elsnitz, RS-Fr.
7. Mastrov, Fr.
8. Lutje-Schipholt, Jr.
9. Muca, So.
10. Heide, So.
11. Samb, So.

12. Curry, Fr.

13. Bush, ?

14. Richey, Sr. (Walk-On)

---
*13. Donald, 12th grade
*14. ??
*15. ??

---
If we sign 3 from 2022 (Donald + 2 more), and McIntosh + Lutje-Schipholt stayed for the "covid 5th" eligibility year, we would have 0 scholarships to offer the c/o 2023 if the maximum was still 15.

That is my "max" question
wvitbear
I think she is a junior. Only played two years. Last year out due to injury. Harvard didn't play this year due to Covid. Gives her two more years. She might be a grad transfer as far as schooling goes, but she has two years left of elgibility.
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

Next Year:

1. Onyiah, So.
2. McIntosh, Jr.
3. Crocher, RS-So.
4. Daniels, So.
5. Green, RS-So.
6. Elsnitz, RS-Fr.
7. Mastrov, Fr.
8. Lutje-Schipholt, Jr.
9. Muca, So.
10. Heide, So.
11. Samb, So.

12. Curry, Fr.

13. Bush, ?

14. Richey, Sr. (Walk-On)

---
*13. McDonald, 12th grade
*14. ??
*15. ??

---
If we sign 3 from 2022 (McDonald + 2 more), and McIntosh + Lutje-Schipholt stayed for the "covid 5th" eligibility year, we would have 0 scholarships to offer the c/o 2023 if the maximum was still 15.

That is my "max" question

I think you meant Donald instead of McDonald. Jailah Donald.
wvitbear
I heard her father say ei-ei-o.
wbbilluminati
Yes you are right about DONALD :-P

Grad transfers really are more often than not very impactful.

It seems to happen quicklywe usually don't know who is available until they enter the portal then they often get scooped up soon after

But take a look at Raina Perez the grad transfer from Cal State Fullerton, now the starting PG for #4 NC State. Had another great game in their SECOND upset of the #1 ranked team in the country of the season!

Anyhoo Cal should be fine tho. Saw some great recent highlights of Jayda on Instagram yesterday.I love how crafty she is and optimistic that even tho she's not the tallest nor even the athlete that other guards we've had were, she possesses the skill to provide offense for us at all three levels.
SFCALBear72
I liked the way NC State played against Louisville last night. Perez was amazing. With our full roster next season, I think we could play a similar style. Bigs that can rebound and shoot and can get the outlet passes to our shooters in transition...particularly 3-point shooters, Jazlen, Cailyn, Ornela and Leilani.
HoopDreams
isn't this the player who was going to transfer to cal?

stu
HoopDreams said:

isn't this the player who was going to transfer to cal?
I believe she did transfer, later than expected, and stayed a very short time. I have no clue how that went down.
Ashfield63
Ashfield63
Ashfield63 said:

Naje Murray did practice with Cal for about a week a year ago at the start of the 2nd semester. Evidently, she was never registered as a Cal student. No one knows for sure what happened. She is a starter for Texas Tech. There are games when she has scored in the single digits. The coach who recruited her was fired last summer for abuse. There are articles written about this terrible situation. The present coach was the HC at UT Arlington when she was hired by Texas Tech.
Ashfield63
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.