Cal challenging ranked AZ

2,929 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by annarborbear
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cal down 2 in 3rd quarter
ncbears
after three, tied at 43.
Daniels v. McDonald
HoopDreams
Daniels having a great game, and Michelle should be back in the 4th Quarter
SonomanA1
Still close. Go Bears!
ncbears
Sigh. Lack of a three point shooter.
HoopDreams
we had our open shots

still too many turnovers, but their passing into the post was actually good today
IssyBear
How can our offense get a shot clock volation when you are down and have less than a minute to go in the game? When McIntosh pulled the ball back to half court and just dribbled, I almost threw something at the screen.
stu
ncbears said:

Sigh. Lack of a three point shooter.
Yeah. Other than 1 for 12 on threes we did everything else well enough to win.

18 turnovers is bad but still an improvement. Tough day for Mia with 7 of them and 0 for 8 shooting.
BearPedz
What an effort! Congratulations to coach Charmin, staff and players. Going toe to toe against the #10 team in the nation with underclassmen who were injury plagued and covid delayed all season. The talent, skill and knowledge is there it will come together for us.
Go Bears!
wvitbear
Best game of the season, we rebounded very well. Daniels proved you can have a low release if you get it off quickly and shield with your body.
stu
wvitbear said:

Best game of the season, we rebounded very well. Daniels proved you can have a low release if you get it off quickly and shield with your body.
Right now I like Daniels better at PF than SF. Next season we should have more healthy guards and might see more of that.
wvitbear
Did any of those spin moves by Daniels remind you of Ashley Walker?
polarbear
Great job today, definitely best effort of the season! What a difference having two legitimate guards!
Schroeder71
I recorded the game and will watch it tonight. Once again, Cal evidently has two star PFs out of this recruit class. Both Dalayah Daniels and Michelle Onyiah had double-doubles this afternoon. Onyiah only played approximately half of the game (22 minutes) due to foul troubles, too.

Three others appear to be solid role players that can be shutdown offensively by good opposition. I hope that one or two of the five additions next season possess the ability to score to complement our dynamic duo.
GO BEARS!.
ncbears
wvitbear said:

Clarendon made the comparison of Onyiah to Walker on the broadcast along with Hampton - primarily based on Onyiah's catching ability.
stu
Schroeder71 said:

Three others appear to be solid role players that can be shutdown offensively by good opposition. I hope that one or two of the five additions next season possess the ability to score to complement our dynamic duo.
From what little I've seen of Alma and Sela I'd say they can score.

I'm aware of only two additions next season: Jayda Curry and Jadyn Bush. Are you counting returnees who are out injured this season? I know Cailyn and Jazlen can score.
Schroeder71
Stu-yes, I was counting the three injured guards and the two recruits. I did not include Sela Heide only because the HC Charmin Smith does not play her many minutes. I agree with you that she has demonstrated to me superior offensive ability and shot-blocking skills than Fatu Samb this season.
wvitbear
You might think of Mia as being the third since she wasn't there at the beginning of the season. We have three guards who are hurt.
BearBint
wvitbear said:

Yes. And I always like being reminded of Ashley Walker.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
BearBint
Three solid quarters, more moments of solid, cohesive play--this is a definite improvement.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Ashfield63
Am watching the replay of the game. Cal only made 18% of their 3 point shots and missed many free throws..still they payed Arizona very close until the last 2-3 minutes. Arizona State lost big at Stanford. It would be great to get a W on Sunday. So happy for the players, is the difference Mia Mastrov, who is a solid guard.....Go Bears!
HoopDreams
Ashfield63 said:

Am watching the replay of the game. Cal only made 18% of their 3 point shots and missed many free throws..still they payed Arizona very close until the last 2-3 minutes. Arizona State lost big at Stanford. It would be great to get a W on Sunday. So happy for the players, is the difference Mia Mastrov, who is a solid guard.....Go Bears!
Mia (despite her poor shooting today) makes a huge difference with her ball handling and overall court savvy. I was surprised how often she took the ball up the court, probably to rest Leilani who must be near exhaustion this season

but our passing into the post was the best I've seen this year, and there were a number of different players who made those assists. probably the best I've seen Lei make those passes into the post

but rebounding was the other big key

basically our bigs dominated, but we couldn't stop McDonald (again)
rollonyoubears
IssyBear said:

How can our offense get a shot clock volation when you are down and have less than a minute to go in the game? When McIntosh pulled the ball back to half court and just dribbled, I almost threw something at the screen.
I almost threw something as well, as well as a few expletives! I saw her go up for a contested shot near the free throw line in between 3 'trees' and nearly lost it! Of course, her shot was blocked. On another possession, no one else touched the ball but her. Of course, she missed.
Ashfield63
I'm glad I am not alone re: Leilani McIntosh....I get nervous when she keeps dribbling and takes the shot instead of passing to another player. However, Layshia Clarendon, who was one of the Pac-12 TV announcers calming commented about taking too much time near the end of the game. It did take a long time for the players to set up the play. I don't want to beat up on Leilani, but she seems to be a little out of control at times, and doesn't make good decisions at critical times in the game. The next two season, there will be two new point guards vying for playing time, J. Curry and J, Donald respectively. I will say, Leilani rescued the bears by signing with Cal in July 2019. Her mother told me at the beginning of last season, they were ready to take her to Pepperdine in two weeks, and Cal came calling. Leilani was disappointed the HC had left for another college, so coming to Cal was a great opportunity for her. Leilani and her brother worked out daily last summer as seen on her twitter account. Her brother is a very good football player, and has an offer from San Diego State.
annarborbear
Late watching a replay, but very impressive. We seemed to adapt in this one to everyone's natural strengths. Daniels going inside. McIntosh's dribbling costly at times, but also moving the ball up and down the court. Mastrov providing some glue and some decent defense. Onyiah really tough on the boards, although limited by fouls.

Best part, though, was Layshia as an analyst. Now there is somebody with an unlimited future after basketball.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.