Kianna Smith leads Louisville to comeback victory over Northwestern...(link)

2,441 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wbbilluminati
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://gocards.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2020-21/northwestern/boxscore/23086

Their three high scorers are guards and the Cardinals will face the Oregon Ducks without star
freshman guard T. Paopao. North Carolina State gave Louisville two of their three losses in the
ACC. Kianna Smith is a redshirt junior. She was #2 in scoring and three point baskets.
ClayK
And the problem is that both Smith and Alaysia Styles are playing deep into the tournament, which they would have never done with Cal.

Until Cal can get to the tournament, the temptation to transfer for the last year or two to get a shot at the Sweet 16 will be tough for some to resist.
SFCALBear72
Smith left after Coach Gottlieb announced her move to the Cavaliers and before Coach Smith was selected to coach the Bears.

Had she been here for Smith's first season, it may have helped the Bears reach the Tournament. Her leadership along with that of Jaelyn Brown's would have been significant.
calbear80
K. smith was/is a very good player. We could have really used her this year. It is very sad the Coach C. Smith couldn't keep her at Cal.

Go Bears!
Ashfield63
calbear80 said:

K. smith was/is a very good player. We could have really used her this year. It is very sad the Coach C. Smith couldn't keep her at Cal.

Go Bears!

I attended the Cal WBB banquet two years ago in April 2019. I asked one of the players where K. Smith was, and she said that Kianna had transferred out. This was before Lindsay resigned to join the Cleveland Cavaliers. Charmin Smith was hired as HC after Kianna had left.
HoopDreams
I was frustrated how they used kianna at cal

She probably was too

I was very unhappy when she transferred because I thought brown and her would be the focus of our team

Besides being a talented shooter, she has a high hoops IQ and played with poise

Super player

Ashfield63 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

I attended the Cal WBB banquet two years ago in April 2019. I asked one of the players where K. Smith was, and she said that Kianna had transferred out. This was before Lindsay resigned to join the Cleveland Cavaliers. Charmin Smith was hired as HC after Kianna had left.

annarborbear
The only thing I ever questioned about Kianna's transfer was her giving up a recent admission to the Haas School of Business in order to pursue her basketball dream. She is still majoring in business at Louisville so that is still her longer-term interest. But a Haas admission and credential is hard to come by.
GATC
HoopDreams said:

She probably was too

I was very unhappy when she transferred because I thought brown and her would be the focus of our team

Super player

Ashfield63 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Good defensive player too. Pretty amazing that the everyone from the tiny classes (Smith/Styles and Forbes) transferred. I don't think there is any other school (out of the 355) that has no one from two consecutive recruiting classes. LG inherited a top 5 roster. CS inherited a top 150 roster. Fortunately CS can recruit.
HoopDreams
Agree. And If you want to see a perfect shooting form, watch Kianna

GATC said:

HoopDreams said:

She probably was too

Super player

Ashfield63 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Good defensive player too. Pretty amazing that the everyone from the tiny classes (Smith/Styles and Forbes) transferred. I don't think there is any other school (out of the 355) that has no one from two consecutive recruiting classes. LG inherited a top 5 roster. CS inherited a top 150 roster. Fortunately CS can recruit.
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

Agree. And If you want to see a perfect shooting form, watch Kianna

GATC said:

HoopDreams said:

She probably was too

Super player

Ashfield63 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

While she was still at Cal, Kianna had a shooting coach hired by her parents (her dad is a basketball coach). She would workout in Haas in the evenings. Her mom posted videos on Facebook.
wbbilluminati
IIRC, Kianna Smith decided to leave BEFORE Coach Gottlieb.

Forbes, OTOH, decided to leave AFTER Coach G but before Charmin was hired.
ClayK
At the moment, and for the next few years at least, her career is basketball.

She can make a great deal of money in a short time playing professionally overseas, if that's what she wants, and it's likely that income would make up for the marginal, and far from assured, gains from having a Haas degree as opposed to Louisville.

And if she stays in basketball as a coach, broadcaster, etc., or winds up in the sports industry, her move to Louisville is a positive compared to staying at Cal.

annarborbear
Another option for her now, since she had to sit out a transfer year, would be to finish her degree at Louisville, and then grad transfer to a school with a good MBA program. That might be the best combination for her future.
Schroeder71
Louisville ended Oregon's season, 60-42. Kianna Smith was the 2nd high scorer but Dana Evans, the Cardinal's star senior SG, dominated the game, scoring nearly half (29) of their points.
https://goducks.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2020-21/louisville/boxscore/19937

Louisville will meet their match vs #1 Stanford in the Elite Eight.
3Cats4CAL
Kianna vs Kiana.
wbbilluminati
Louisville looked great last night. Stanford will have their hands full. Dana Evans is outstanding.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.