WBB Final Four

4,269 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bear8995
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Arizona and McDonald dominating UConn (15 pts first half)

UConn superstar Paige 1-4 ... AZ is denying her the ball, double-teaming her, and basically saying that other players need to beat them
CalFanatic
& Stanford won! Going to be tough for Cal to break through in the next few years.
HoopDreams
If AZ hangs on it will be an all Pac12 national championship
Fyght4Cal
This AZ-UConn game is great. Under 5 mins to go, AZ up by 9. Let's see if the Wildcats can hang on.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
HoopDreams
I have to say there have been 3 questionable calls that went AZ's way
Fyght4Cal
I'd say the foul calls have gone both ways...except for that foul on Williams
HoopDreams
Good for AZ
Good for Stanford

All pac final
Pac12 will win NC
Strykur
Zona got toyed with by Furd twice already, but also VanDerveer hasn't won a title in 30 years.
ncbears
Pac 12 will add one more as part of being a Conference of Champions.
And, it will be easier to root for Barnes/McDonald against the Junior University
wbbilluminati
Absolutely incredible! AZ definitely looked like the more dangerous team out of the two winners tonight so who knows! Can't write em off anymore though obviously Stanford is deeper.

Will be interesting if AZ sees a recruiting boost after this statement run
HoopDreams
Fyght4Cal said:

there was another foul called on Paige, as McDonald was pivoting multiple times in the post ... McDonald took an under hand shot as she was falling down

I think she fell down shooting the ball, not from a foul by Paige

There was another block call on a Uconn player who looked like to be in perfect defensive position. Completely set, hands straight up

but that's basketball, and I didn't see the first quarter so I could have missed bad calls against AZ, and of course, it doesn't matter. The win is in the books, and AZ clearly out played UConn and deserved the win
wifeisafurd
HoopDreams said:

Fyght4Cal said:

there was another foul called on Paige, as McDonald was pivoting multiple times in the post ... McDonald took an under hand shot as she was falling down

There was another block call on a Uconn player who looked like to be in perfect defensive position. Completely set, hands straight up

but that's basketball, and I didn't see the first quarter so I could have missed bad calls against AZ, and of course, it doesn't matter. The win is in the books, and AZ clearly out played UConn and deserved the win
Aari is an incredible player, AZ looked like the better prepared team, but I wonder if a more veteran UConn team doesn't miss so many bunnies, what result? Furd should be favored in the final.
wifeisafurd
HoopDreams said:

Good for AZ
Good for Stanford

All pac final
Pac12 will win NC
And it is not like the rest of the conference is mediocre. Will be even more competitive next year.
wbbilluminati
wifeisafurd said:

HoopDreams said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Aari is an incredible player, AZ looked like the better prepared team, but I wonder if a more veteran UConn team doesn't miss so many bunnies, what result? Furd should be favored in the final.
6'5" Olivia Nelson-Ododa is a head scratcher. Was ranked #1 at one point in HS. Was 0-7 last night, many close bunnies missed against defenders 5 inches shorter. UConn freshman Edwards is already much more effective than her.
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

wifeisafurd said:

HoopDreams said:

Fyght4Cal said:

6'5" Olivia Nelson-Ododa is a head scratcher. Was ranked #1 at one point in HS. Was 0-7 last night, many close bunnies missed against defenders 5 inches shorter. UConn freshman Edwards is already much more effective than her.

Her effectiveness on the court is also diminished because she seems to be foul-prone and spends quite a bit of time on the bench.
HoopDreams
First time I've seen super star Paige besides YouTube video highlights

Great player and hard to really see her game as she was constantly doubled and denied the ball

But I'd say Sabrina is better

One thing, it was a bad look seeing Paige whining about every call, although as I posted above see had some legit complaints

Still as their leader, she needed to keep her poise

ClayK
Arizona shot 32% as a team from three during the year; they're at 43% in the tourney.

If they shoot as they historically do, Stanford will likely win. If they shoot as they have recently, it will be quite a game.
wbbilluminati
HoopDreams said:

Great player and hard to really see her game as she was constantly doubled and denied the ball

One thing, it was a bad look seeing Paige whining about every call, although as I posted above see had some legit complaints

I kind of noticed a strange pattern with Paige's demeanor over the season. She's incredibly talented but unlike other super stars like Diana, Sabrina, etc...Paige doesn't seem to like close games. She almost seems annoyed in a tight game whereas others get heated in fiery competitive way in close games. Even when UConn was in it, but it was clear it wasn't gonna be easy, she seemed already frustrated
Fyght4Cal
HoopDreams said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Agreed on all but one. Paiges foul on McDonald looked bogus in real-time. But on the replay, Paige definitely bodied McDonald. Paige's move was beautiful, subtle, effective, and a foul. Lucky for 'Zona the ref was in the right position to make that call.
HoopDreams
Fyght4Cal said:

HoopDreams said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Agreed on all but one. Paiges foul on McDonald looked bogus in real-time. But on the replay, Paige definitely bodied McDonald. Paige's move was beautiful, subtle, effective, and a foul. Lucky for 'Zona the ref was in the right position to make that call.
Interesting

Watching the play live and the slo mo replay, I didn't see the foul, but it could have been there

In any case, McDonald is such a hooper
Ashfield63
wbbilluminati said:

HoopDreams said:

I kind of noticed a strange pattern with Paige's demeanor over the season. She's incredibly talented but unlike other super stars like Diana, Sabrina, etc...Paige doesn't seem to like close games. She almost seems annoyed in a tight game whereas others get heated in fiery competitive way in close games. Even when UConn was in it, but it was clear it wasn't gonna be easy, she seemed already frustrated
In the post game interview, Geno said this team is young, and also immature. When things are going their way, they are fine, but if they aren't, they pout.
juarezbear
ncbears said:

Pac 12 will add one more as part of being a Conference of Champions.
And, it will be easier to root for Barnes/McDonald against the Junior University
I watched the Furd/Carolina game. Furd was incredibly luck to win. A blown put-back at the buzzer killed off Carolina. It was very interesting to listen as the announcers frequently pointed out several no-calls against the Furdettes who blatantly pushed and shoved the Carolina players in transition. I'm thinking to myself....this is status-quo - Furd always gets the benefit of the doubt as the golden children of college athletics. I'm really curious to see what direction they take once players start getting paid. I've heard they'll go the Ivy route, but I don't know if even Ivy players will get paid if the schools get TV money. Anybody know the answer?
HoopDreams
Ashfield63 said:

wbbilluminati said:

HoopDreams said:

In the post game interview, Geno said this team is young, and also immature. When things are going their way, they are fine, but if they aren't, they pout.
wow, honest words after his team just suffered a beat down on a national stage...

but that's what I saw from their star player and leader
IssyBear
I thnk using the term "pout" to describe a basketball team's play is interesting. As for bad calls, the no-foul call against UConn vs. Baylor was both more egregiousis and impactful, IMO. Were the baskball Gods somehow involved in the Stanford calls? Personally, I think questionable calls are part of the game.
HoopDreams
Stanford out coaching AZ

Looking at half stats, surprised lead is not bigger
HoopDreams
Wow, AZ speeding Stanford up, and Stanford looks panicked

Win or lose, AZ's frenzied style is going to attract recruits. Playing the way Cal wanted to during the Coach G years
HoopDreams
Stanford played poorly in 4Q, and were horrible in their last possession, not even getting a shot off

Stanford with 6 seconds knew the ball would go to McDonald, and trapped her with three tall defenders

McDonald somehow got a shot off that had a chance

I'd say that like the UCLA/Zags game, both teams showed well, win or lose

ncbears
It pains me to say it - but Furd's defense on McDonald was really good. All McDonald needed was any kind of small opening of a lane to drive and get fouled for two shots to tie or win. But, there was no lane, because she would have taken it had there been any inkling of a way forward. Still, unbelievably, her shot had a chance.
blungld
I was sort of rooting for AZ, but by the 3rd quarter I was actively rooting for the Furd. I got so sick of Aari getting away with charges. She should have fouled out by the 4th quarter. At least 4 times she just straight ran right into a defender who had established position and it was whistled as a block. Announcers said nothing. No replay. It was ridiculous.

AZ made a huge mistake not having Aari drive to basket on last shot. She would have gotten the foul no matter what.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Strykur
Let's be real, better to have our closest rival be the one to measure ourselves against, than have another upstart emerge in the PAC-12 that will give us problems.
Cal Strong!
This hurt.

furd beat everyone. Cal no able to beat Bakersfield or anyone else except weak ASU team one time.

This WEAK! Big changes needed. Charmin Smith get one more year, then she need to go if she no get stronger.
Ashfield63
Cal Strong! said:

This hurt.

furd beat everyone. Cal no able to beat Bakersfield or anyone else except weak ASU team one time.

This WEAK! Big changes needed. Charmin Smith get one more year, then she need to go if she no get stronger.
I don't think you know the circumstances of Cal's season. Due to season ending injuries to three major players, plus Covid restrictions, Cal could have opted out of their schedule, and not have played at all. Many collegiate WBB programs just did not play, either at the start or shut down during the season. Charmin has started from scratch after Lindsay's departure to coach in the NBA. The team consisted of Freshman and sophomores. There were two walkon players, one junior and one season. Even with them receiving scholarships, Cal had to cancel games because they did not have 7 scholarship players available to play due to injuries or Covid restrictions. They have to abide by Pac-12 rules. Currently, many coaches say the Pac-12 is the toughest conference in the NCAA.
SFCALBear72
Cal Strong! said:

This hurt.

And, by the way, that "weak" ASU team beat Arizona in overtime the following weekend.
bearchamp
Many programs are playing freshman and sophomores consistently. Cal's youth is not the problem. When the coach is getting the players she wants, she should be putting together a better team than she has to date.
wvitbear
We were the only team in the Pac 10 that did not have a scholarship senior or junior. And since we lost all three scholarship guards early in the season, we were doomed. Also, when we finally got Mia, our play improved. But the easy part of our schedule had passed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.