April Phillips leaving for Arizona

3,385 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wbbilluminati
bearwbbfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCALBear72
Does this surprise you, bearwbbfan?

Coach Phillips was actually hired by Coach Gottlieb and then stayed on to work with Coach Smith.

Maybe time for a new recruiting approach?

stu
Time for a new approach to recruiting assistant coaches. Which we'll get anyway because this will be Charmin's first hire (distinct from retaining existing coaches).
HoopDreams
I rarely like when a cal player or coach moves to another pac12 school

and this is another case where it sucks

I always prefer coaches with prior high-level playing experience, and I thought April was a good personality fit for the new world of college coaching

This is an important hire for Charmin
Schroeder71
Who was in charge of coaching up the post players and teaching rebounding? If it was April Phillips, I was not impressed with the lack of screening off that the Cal "bigs" employed and jumping over the back of opponents. I also did not feel that the post players were taught good offensive moves, drop steps, etc. The ten foot bank shot off of the glass should be utliized. Only Michelle Onyiah had a reasonably accurate jump shot out of the group of four "bigs" and her shot was either a fade-away from close to the basket or straight away from 12-15 feet inside the key. Who was responsible for recruiting the four post players? Only Dalayah Daniels and Michelle Onyiah appear to possess star potential. I don't know how the other two were rated so highly by the recruiting services...GO BEARS!
puget sound cal fan
I recall Coach Phillips was responsible for developing the bigs for the Bears, which I believe she did originally for Adia Barnes at Arizona. Why is she returning to zona? Frankly the Bears' competitiveness will depend on the continuing improvement of Daniels and Oniya, and the evelopment of Samb and Sela so an excellent assistant for Cal's bigs has to be a priority. .
wbbilluminati
I wondered if April regretted leaving Arizona after they made their big run. I guess we have our answer.
3Cats4CAL
Are they hiring someone to replace her and what exactly are each of the assistant coaches' duties and responsibilities ?
HoopDreams
3Cats4CAL said:

Are they hiring someone to replace her and what exactly are each of the assistant coaches' duties and responsibilities ?
not sure the specific responsibilities of each assistant coach, but April is a top recruiter
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

3Cats4CAL said:

not sure the specific responsibilities of each assistant coach, but April is a top recruiter

The coaching staff bios on Calbears.com say that Coach Wendale Farrow works extensively with the Cal guards, Coach Kai Felton also works with the guards/wings/forwards and Coach April Phillips worked with the post players and was also the recruiting coordinator.

So, what we need now is a coach to work with the post players and perhaps coordinate recruiting. Or maybe a coach and someone else for recruiting coordinator. Stay tuned.
ClayK
Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting ...

Player development is nice (and needed), but recruiting is the most important job in college sports.
bearwbbfan
Oddly enough, April is now headed to Texas.
stu
I guess Interstate 10 runs through Arizona on the way to Texas. Wonder how much farther she'll drive.
annarborbear
Can't wait until she give recruits a speech about loyalty and commitment, presuming that she can remember which school she is now at.
3Cats4CAL
I wish Oakland would get a WNBA team and they alongwith Cowling, Brown etc could shine there.
OBear073akaSMFan
3Cats4CAL said:

I wish Oakland would get a WNBA team and they alongwith Cowling, Brown etc could shine there.
Would this team be affiliated/supported by the Warriors too? Most all of the other WNBA team are affiliated with the male counterparts in those cities.
wvitbear
I wouldn't go to a WNBA game unless Cal players were on the team. $30 for parking at the Oakland Arena. I like the Warriors but didn't attend their games personally. I'm mostly a college guy. Only have season tickets for Cal WBBall. Dropped my men's tickets.
SFCALBear72
bearwbbfan said:

Oddly enough, April is now headed to Texas.

Vic Schaefer over Adia Barnes. Hmmmm. Guess second time wasn't a charm.
wbbilluminati
Unconventional timing , but returning to Arizona for another assistant's role again was also a bit unconventional.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.