New Assistant Coach

3,261 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by UrsineMaximus
LegoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was UW's recruiting coordinator as well so straight replacement for April. Not to sure how good it is getting someone from UW's staff which wasn't so successful.

OBear073akaSMFan
What were the reasons many of the players left UW? Was it because of the head coach? With the new HC im sure she will be bringing in her staff.
ncbears
He's also supposed to work with posts.
In his bio, he had experience and connections with basketball summer camps - but that appears to have been back in his Arizona coaching days.
The biggest knock I see is that he, apparently, couldn't get Daniels to stay in-state i Washington. But, I have no idea if she had any interest. I presume he tried.
SFCALBear72
ncbears said:

He's also supposed to work with posts.
In his bio, he had experience and connections with basketball summer camps - but that appears to have been back in his Arizona coaching days.
The biggest knock I see is that he, apparently, couldn't get Daniels to stay in-state i Washington. But, I have no idea if she had any interest. I presume he tried.

Yes, but he was responsible for getting Marisa Davis who we really wanted, Quay Miller, top 100 guard AJ Marotte (who signed with Oregon State after the Wynn firing) and got Tamelya Sadler out of Vallejo. She was a top Pac12 freshman this past season.
puget sound cal fan
It appears UW Coach Wynn & Co were able recruit some good players, but they couldn't win.
puget sound cal fan
I hope the new coach has much more than a passing acquaintance with developing bigs.
HoopDreams
Don't know a lot about him, but uninspiring to me
stu
This kind of hire is hard to evaluate from a distance. I have to assume Charmin knows what she's looking for.

According to his Washington bio Reed coached two Arizona high school girls' basketball teams with good results. His own athletic career was as a small college defensive back (football).
HoopDreams
stu said:

This kind of hire is hard to evaluate from a distance. I have to assume Charmin knows what she's looking for.

According to his Washington bio Reed coached two Arizona high school girls' basketball teams with good results. His own athletic career was as a small college defensive back (football).

agree.

also, April appears to be the type of coach Cal needed to bring in elite recruits

maybe Charmin didn't want to try to find an April clone, but there are no similarities from what I can tell. For example, he isn't a former basketball player (April was, and I always prefer coaches who were former players), and he is the second male coach of a women's team (can he relates to the players in a similar way that April does?)

We will just have to trust Charmin on this one

annarborbear
Washington had the #17 recruiting class in the nation coming in before it all fell apart with the firing of Jody Wynn. So that is a good sign that Reed can help produce some good results in the right situation. In fact, it is too bad that we didn't act quicker before Sadler left for Colorado since she must have liked this guy enough to sign the previous year at UW.
Schroeder71
Was this guy with Jody Wynn at Long Beach State?
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Was this guy with Jody Wynn at Long Beach State?

Yes. The last 3 years of her time there (2009-2017).
wbbilluminati
annarborbear said:

Washington had the #17 recruiting class in the nation coming in before it all fell apart with the firing of Jody Wynn. So that is a good sign that Reed can help produce some good results in the right situation. In fact, it is too bad that we didn't act quicker before Sadler left for Colorado since she must have liked this guy enough to sign the previous year at UW.
His track record is decent but at best I would say it's unproven if he has the potential to shore up the loss of April in terms of recruiting. I think April's ability and reputation as a recruiter even surpass the success she had for us in her short time at Cal including that tremendous 2020 class. It's almost "scary" what she might be able to accomplish at Arizona again with a huge rise in profile following the final 4.

But the way I see it, April's savvy, charisma, and energy were only gonna take us so far looking ahead at recruiting coming off a 1 and 16 record. If we win some games next year I think the recruiting will take care of itself. We'd be really blessed to get another good 2022 recruit like Bonner but right now we have tons of talent so the focus is retaining and developing what we already have. I'd like to see us finish ahead of UW, WSU, ASU, and Utah next year in conference. Also compete with USC, Colorado, and Arizona.
Ashfield63
wbbilluminati said:

annarborbear said:

His track record is decent but at best I would say it's unproven if he has the potential to shore up the loss of April in terms of recruiting. I think April's ability and reputation as a recruiter even surpass the success she had for us in her short time at Cal including that tremendous 2020 class. It's almost "scary" what she might be able to accomplish at Arizona again with a huge rise in profile following the final 4.

But the way I see it, April's savvy, charisma, and energy were only gonna take us so far looking ahead at recruiting coming off a 1 and 16 record. If we win some games next year I think the recruiting will take care of itself. We'd be really blessed to get another good 2022 recruit like Bonner but right now we have tons of talent so the focus is retaining and developing what we already have. I'd like to see us finish ahead of UW, WSU, ASU, and Utah next year in conference. Also compete with USC, Colorado, and Arizona.
Jazzy Green posted on her twitter account that she can't wait to play basketball. A couple of weeks ago April had posted a picture of Cailyn Crocker running during workouts. Charmin said she expects the four injured players(including Sela) to return for the season. Because of Covid Cal started so late last year. Hopefully, the entire team will be ready to start training in June. During the Fan Appreciating Zoom meeting last Monday, Charmin said Michelle was working extra time on her conditioning. Hopefully, the Bears can win decisively in Nov. and Dec. in preparation for the start of the Pac-12 season. GO BEARS!
GGV
HoopDreams
Ashfield63 said:

wbbilluminati said:

annarborbear said:

Jazzy Green posted on her twitter account that she can't wait to play basketball. A couple of weeks ago April had posted a picture of Cailyn Crocker running during workouts. Charmin said she expects the four injured players(including Sela) to return for the season. Because of Covid Cal started so late last year. Hopefully, the entire team will be ready to start training in June. During the Fan Appreciating Zoom meeting last Monday, Charmin said Michelle was working extra time on her conditioning. Hopefully, the Bears can win decisively in Nov. and Dec. in preparation for the start of the Pac-12 season. GO BEARS!
no doubt that if everyone returns healthy we will be a completely different team

also, actually having a regular off season and pre-season will really help this team as we will still be young
annarborbear
For what it is worth, in our loss to Washington last year, their frontline outscored ours 34-31 and outrebounded ours 24-19.
HoopDreams
annarborbear said:

For what it is worth, in our loss to Washington last year, their frontline outscored ours 34-31 and outrebounded ours 24-19.
and our front line had all freshmen
annarborbear
HoopDreams said:

annarborbear said:

and our front line had all freshmen

Except for Shipholt. Just pointing out that Reed has some experience and we should be able to continue to make some progress.
wvitbear
Our frontline improved immensely. Mostly on defense. At the end we were second in the league i blocked shots. And we were not last in total defense. When Mastrov joined the team then we could defend on the perimeter too.

So I believe if we played Washington later in the year we would have won that battle.
Fyght4Cal
I'm embarrassed to say I just found out April left. Not only am I disappointedly she left, but I'm a little steamed that she went to AZ. I'm hopeful this new coach can continue the high level of recruiting that marks the Charmin Smith era.
Patience is a virtue, but Iā€™m not into virtue signaling these days.
wbbilluminati
Fyght4Cal said:

I'm embarrassed to say I just found out April left. Not only am I disappointedly she left, but I'm a little steamed that she went to AZ. I'm hopeful this new coach can continue the high level of recruiting that marks the Charmin Smith era.
the way i see it, April wants to live in California, but working at Arizona is better for her career if she wants a good HC job in due time. hence why she went back to Arizona. I mean, Adia is the hottest coach in WCBB.
UrsineMaximus
It helps when you have one of if not the top PG in the country. Let's see how Coach A does w/o that talent. On a personal note I'm glad that PG moved on, I was tired of officials giving fouls to defenders when it was clear she was out of control and charging. Not all of the time but a lot of the time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.