What's Happening with Oregon?

2,648 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bearwbbfan
3Cats4CAL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was previously reported that Chavez and Shelby transferred out of Oregon and now Mikesell as well. Do you think it has anything to do with Prince and any other recent additions or new recruits coming in as I thought those 3 departed were pretty good. Or will the top 4 PAC 12 teams still be Stanford, UCLA, Oregon, Arizona and then maybe Colorado ?
wbbilluminati
Based on what I imagine Mikesell was looking for in transferring, it was basically a fail, so I'm not shocked she left especially since she seemed to have a decent thing going at Maryland when she transferred the first time.

Chavez also makes sense. She fell behind two freshman guards in the lineup. Even when both freshman had injuries Graaves didn't seem super confident in her. I was surprised since she got a lot of PT prior to this season but it happened. Not sure if maybe Chavez would've considered staying had Mikesell decided to leave earlier.

I was underwhelmed by Oregon's freshman class but losing the three mentioned honestly is nothing compared to some of the chaotic transferring and drama at other programs in 2021.
Schroeder71
Stanford loses two senior guards but the Cardinal is loaded with talent. I would think that they will be "head 'n shoulders" above the rest of the P12. Oregon would seem to have the second best talent next season with two incredible "bigs". UCLA lost their top player to the WNBA and Arizona lost 3 of their top 4 players to graduation (including the conference MVP to the WNBA).

I would imagine that Oregon State will battle for a upper division finish along with Washington State & ASU. The Sun Devils have three transfers coming in including the #2 scorer in the Mountain West Conference from Boise State. Jade Loville averaged 17.1 ppg and has two years of eligibilty remaining... Colorado lost their 6-4 star senior post, Mya Hollingshed, so they will not be a contender. USC has had a couple of good recruit classes in succession but we'll see how the new HC situation plays out. The bottom four teams that are rebuilding appear to be Colorado, Utah, Cal & Washington.

IMO-Stanford is the only close to an unbeatable team and highly ranked national power in the Pac 12 for 2021-2022. It will be a down year for the conference overall. GO BEARS!
Ashfield63
JR Payne posted on her twitter account, April 29th that Mya Hollinshead is #22 on the ESPN top 25 WBB players list. There are five players from the Pac-12 on the list. She is staying at Colorado from what I have read
GGV
Schroeder71
Ashfield63-thank you for that new information. Obviously, Colorado will be in the competition for the upper division, too. Remember-the Buffs upset Stanford last season for one of their two losses.
annarborbear
ESPN's early bracketology has 7 PAC12 teams in next year's tournament - Stanford, Oregon, UCLA. Oregon State, Arizona, Washington State and Colorado.
Schroeder71
Women's Basketball vs Stanford on 1/17/2021 - Box Score - University of Colorado Athletics (cubuffs.com)

I checked Mya Hollingshed;s bio and last season was her fourth season of playing for Colorado. How can she be playing a fifth year? Is it because of Covid-19 that last year is optional to count for eligibility? Wow-how many other key players that were seniors have decided to return & play another season...Are roster lists available for next season for all of the Pac 12 teams? I may have to reconsider my forecasts if that be the case. Thanks!
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

ESPN's early bracketology has 7 PAC12 teams in next year's tournament - Stanford, Oregon, UCLA. Oregon State, Arizona, Washington State and Colorado.
In my opinion the SEC is the strongest conference in WBB, I am not alone. The next 4-5 National Championships should be won by South Carolina and UCONN. South Carolina's roster is awesome. Azzi Fudd will be a freshman at UCONN. The tournament was different this year due to Covid-19 restrictions, as so many teams did not play a full schedule or play any games. Also, I want to point out that Stanford and Arizona had much more preparation than other teams in the Pac-12. This was a great achievement for the Pac-12 conference. The tournament should always play at neutral sites. It is more fair. When interviewed during the Pac-12 tournament Charmin didn't lament about the injuries or Covid-19. She just said,"We weren't prepared for the season." She did say there was much improvement. Cori Close, HC, UCLA is such an advocate for Charmin. I give the Bears so much credit for gutting out the season. The team improved as a whole. This was evident watching them play Arizona(almost upset them), beat Arizona State, and played well against Oregon State at the Pac-12 tournament.
GGV
wbbilluminati
Schroeder71 said:

Is it because of Covid-19 that last year is optional to count for eligibility? Wow-how many other key players that were seniors have decided to return & play another season...
Yes, "the free covid year"...it's been a huge factor. Not just returning but also the reason Mastrov enrolled early (her past season does not count against her 4). they ("super seniors") also do not count against the 15 roster max.

Indiana's star Patberg (sp?) will play next year. she was the same HS class as Kristine Anigwe (so, will be her 7th year in college).
wbbilluminati
Ashfield63 said:

annarborbear said:

In my opinion the SEC is the strongest conference in WBB, I am not alone. The next 4-5 National Championships should be won by South Carolina and UCONN. South Carolina's roster is awesome. Azzi Fudd will be a freshman at UCONN. The tournament was different this year due to Covid-19 restrictions, as so many teams did not play a full schedule or play any games. Also, I want to point out that Stanford and Arizona had much more preparation than other teams in the Pac-12. This was a great achievement for the Pac-12 conference. The tournament should always play at neutral sites. It is more fair. When interviewed during the Pac-12 tournament Charmin didn't lament about the injuries or Covid-19. She just said,"We weren't prepared for the season." She did say there was much improvement. Cori Close, HC, UCLA is such an advocate for Charmin. I give the Bears so much credit for gutting out the season. The team improved as a whole. This was evident watching them play Arizona(almost upset them), beat Arizona State, and played well against Oregon State at the Pac-12 tournament.
If Stanford signs Kiki Rice the top guard of 2022 they will be a contender still.
wbbilluminati
Actually the Oregon frosh I thought had the most potential who we also recruited Dugalic 6'4" just entered the transfer portal
mbBear
Ashfield63 said:

annarborbear said:

maybe. You assume Dawn Staley doesn't go anywhere. I wouldn't bet on that....
ClayK
Ashfield63 said:

annarborbear said:

I disagree -- I think the SEC has the best team, but I don't think it's the best league. One big difference is that the SEC focuses more on recruiting elite athletes than really skilled players, so often shooting and team play aren't at the same level as the Pac-12. The Pac-12 definitely has more shooters, though it would be interesting to have a series between the two conferences. (I'm guessing the SEC would want no part of it ...)
bearwbbfan
Both Oregon and Oregon State have lost some keys players and coaches. Oregon lost Shelley, Chavez, Mikesell, and Dugalic. Dugalic seemed to have loads of potential as a 6-4 wing/forward. I remember being very impressed with her skill set while watching her high school tape. One of their bench players also retired, so they're down to eight until they add some transfers. They also lost Campbell and Lopez who become head and associate head coaches at Sacramento State. They replaced them with Jackie Nared (Arizona) and Mike Moser (Dallas Mavericks). That's a lot of talent lost, but they still have Prince, Sabally, and Pao Pao - and that's a lot of talent.

Oregon State lost Goforth and Samuel to transfer, and then Jasmine Simmons returned to Australia. They did add two transfers in Emily Codding, (St Mary's) who torched Cal a few years ago, and Tea Adams (San Diego State). They lost Brian Holsinger and Katie Faulkner who were named head coach and assistant coach at Montana and Washington. I don't believe they have named replacements yet.

If I had to guess, the top of the Pac-12 will look like:
1. Stanford
2. Arizona
3. Oregon
4. UCLA
5. Oregon State
6. Washington State

Cal may be a year away from contending for an upper half spot, but will be better than expected IMO.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.