Recruit?

4,452 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?

SFCALBear72
Class of 2025
6'2 Forward from Fresno
HoopDreams
SFCALBear72 said:

Class of 2025
6'2 Forward from Fresno

6-2 as a freshman?
puget sound cal fan
...and probably still growing.
ClayK
puget sound cal fan said:

...and probably still growing.
One hopes ... but few girls grow much after they get to high school.

Jayne Appel, though, was a big exception. She was 6-1 in eighth grade, 6-3 after high school and 6-4 in the pros. So you never know.
wbbilluminati
I think I remember the legend having Appel at 5'11" as a freshman then coming out of no where as a 6'4" sophomore suddenly putting up like 20 & 20 against the Paris Twins.

Of course I would go with Clay's account, though mine's more fun

Aja Wilson I believe also was a late growth spurt case. I think the stories were she was a 5'9" point guard in 8th or 9th grade who shot up to a 6'4" big with all those guard skills from before still in her bag
puget sound cal fan
She still displays those skills as a pro..
BearBint
BearBloke swears than Jenny Leander gained almost 3" at Cal (mid- to late '89s). Very tall females often do keep growing longer, so to speak.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
wbbilluminati
in contrast, DeNesha Stallworth was a young post with very advanced moves/footwork but considered undersized in the post yet not quick enough to be a wing-forward.

But she had a skipped a grade so was even younger than her class year. I think she did end up growing a bit but not a spurt like the others mentioned

From Hoopgurlz as a prep:
"If she hits 6-3 she could blow up big time but even at 6-1 she is a very solid D-1 prospect."
ClayK
Late growth does happen, rarely, but counting on it is a mistake, I think.

Basically a girl's height as a freshman in high school will be her height when she graduates from college.
BearBint
ClayK said:

Late growth does happen, rarely, but counting on it is a mistake, I think.

Basically a girl's height as a freshman in high school will be her height when she graduates from college.
Often true, so nothing to count on, but not a hard-and-fast rule; menarche (age of first period), diet and heredity are also factors.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
wvitbear
Boys are a little bit different. David Robinson went to the Naval academy at 6'6", the talles you would be allowed into the academy. But he grew to 7'1" in college. That is a wowee!
willtalk
Players that have late growth spurts tend to work on and develop skills rather than relying on their height. Chelsea Gray was a 5'6" freshman starting point guard on a pretty good St Marys team. she ended up 5'11" as a senior.
coachdeke
SFCALBear72 said:

Class of 2025
6'2 Forward from Fresno
Probably former Cal football player, Kevin Swillis' daughter.
ClayK
willtalk said:

Players that have late growth spurts tend to work on and develop skills rather than relying on their height. Chelsea Gray was a 5'6" freshman starting point guard on a pretty good St Marys team. she ended up 5'11" as a senior.
It is true that some girls grow during high school ... but the percentage is much, much lower than for boys.
Baygbear
Does anyone know if the coaching staff is in attendance for the Fiba U16 Americas Women's championship looking for possible 2023 recruits?
puget sound cal fan
She apparently possesses the height, skills and attitude to play SF which is a position of need. Sign her up.
puget sound cal fan
Certainly disqualified him from becoming a Naval Aviator and, maybe, a submariner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.