the women's bball team excelled at academics last year...(link)

1,858 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stu
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Five Golden Bear Programs Garner Newmark Award For Academic Success - University of California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

The team earned $7500 toward the basketball team's budget for their "most improved academics" award. Con-gratulations, girls! Your achievement of a collective gpa of 3.546 for a predominantly frosh-soph team under duress (only winning one game) is AMAZING! GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Five Golden Bear Programs Garner Newmark Award For Academic Success - University of California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

The team earned $7500 toward the basketball team's budget for their "most improved academics" award. Con-gratulations, girls! Your achievement of a collective gpa of 3.546 for a predominantly frosh-soph team under duress (only winning one game) is AMAZING! GO BEARS!

Just a word of advice to you. They call it Cal Women's Basketball for a reason. Our players are young women not girls.

Kudos to the coaching staff for keeping the players engaged when dealing with virtual learning and Zoom classes.
Ashfield63
You can read CAL Athleric News, May 15, 2021....Honoring the Best of 2020-21.....

WBB received Top Honors for having the highest Grade Point Average among Cal's 30 intercollegiate programs with a 3.61 GPA..

Charmin talked about this on a podcast I watched 2 months ago. She also said Kai was instrumental in this achievement...........GO BEARS.......
Schroeder71
SFCB72-can I label them as ladies? I will not call 'em Lady Bears, don't worry. Women is too stuffy and formal for these young ladies... GO BEARS!
stu
You can certainly call them team, players, students, student-athletes, etc. Since the program is officially called Women's Basketball I'm fine with calling them women. BTW I know plenty of women who are neither stuffy nor formal.
CalWSportsFan
I prefer women to ladies. If anything, the term "lady" has stuffy connotations per its definition.Feudal titles aside " a : a woman of superior social position
b : a woman of refinement and gentle manners
c : WOMAN, FEMALE often used in a courteous reference
show the lady to a seat
or usually in the plural in address
ladies and gentlemen"

graguna
this thread has gotten nit picky. when I go to the "mens" basketball games, I yell LETS GO BOYS! not Lets Go Men( thats sound like the military ) . My wife goes out on Girl's nights. I say live and let live - girls, ladies, women; they all work in this situation.
maybe i shouldn't have an opinion on this since I'm a guy but thats my 2 cents.
stu
I'm very careful about calling anyone "boy". That term carries a lot of racial baggage. People I don't know who are obviously not children and colored differently than I am might find it highly offensive.

But these days you can use "guys". Even with women. How language changes!
Schroeder71
stu-I simply meant that for 17-21 ages, it seemed too formal to have to call them women (IMO). All the PC stuff that you're concerned about is a waste of time. I kind of agree with graguna that this thread is "much ado about nothing."
ClayK
It's much ado about nothing unless you're in a position where you can upset people who work for you and with you by calling a young woman a girl when she finds it offensive. As mentioned, calling a young Black male in his 20s a boy is a problem as well.

Words do matter. Calling a 22-year-old female a girl tends to define her as less than adult, especially since few 22-year-old males are routinely referred to as boys.

It's not about how old guys like me feel -- it's about how the people who are being identified feel. And I know a lot of young women who do not want an old man like me calling them girls.
stu
Good point Clay. But you and I are almost old enough to get away with it.
Schroeder71
I guess calling them young ladies is a solution. I'm glad that I retired four years ago as of next Wednesday, September 1st.
HoopDreams
how about calling them hoopers

stu
Schroeder71 said:

I guess calling them young ladies is a solution. I'm glad that I retired four years ago as of next Wednesday, September 1st.
In my day "young lady" was usually the beginning of a reprimand.

Congratulations on your retirement anniversary! I retired in August 2005 but I'm still working part time. Keeps me connected to the PC world.

BTW that can go way beyond what I consider the basic tenet of showing respect to others. I've declined more than a few invitations to seminars on mindfulness, allyship, and similar topics.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.