Cal WBB will have preferred walk on from Santa Cruz next season

4,622 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stu
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per NorCalPreps a young lady named Bella Stevens listed 5'10" guard/wing senior at Santa Cruz HS will be a preferred walk-on for Cal WBB next year.

Apparently this is a very good get for a walk-on and she's a stock-riser who is ranked within the top 20 in NorCal.
SFCALBear72
According to the Santa Cruz Sentinel newspaper, Bella Stevens was named MVP of the Santa Cruz Athletic League's A Division this past season. A season in which she averaged 20.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game. Bella Stevens has already scored more than 1,000 points in high school.

This seems like a great addition. Hope we can hold on to her.
calbearinamaze
SFCALBear72 said:

According to the Santa Cruz Sentinel newspaper, Bella Stevens was named MVP of the Santa Cruz Athletic League's A Division this past season. A season in which she averaged 20.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game. Bella Stevens has already scored more than 1,000 points in high school.

This seems like a great addition. Hope we can hold on to her.
I finally subscribed to MaxPreps.....it's free, so I don't know what I was waiting for.
Looking at her stats quite quickly:

*I can't speak to the level of competition
*A/TO ratio is low
but

her 3-point shooting has improved each year 24%, 27%, to 33%.

GO BEARS!!!!

Schroeder71
https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/bella-stevens/w3C67OouEeiAxKkkK9HIDg/default.htm

This is a clip of #4 Bella Steven's three point shot in action. She is tall (5-10), fast and athletic. I noticed that this young lady shoots her three as a *jump shot*! She also has a higher release than many girls. How many girls can shoot jumpers from deep in high school ? I remember that I didn't perfect my long range jumper until I attended UCSB. I predict that this girl will be a sleeper and play for Cal...Bella is remeniscent of some of the European gals like the 5-10 SG star, Ioanna Krimili, of USF.
GO BEARS!
Ashfield63
What does preferred Walkon mean.......tis he player hoping to earn a basketball scholarship in the future?
Why do players walkon......because they want to be a student at Cal?
I am not being scarcastic, I do not know the walkon protocal system.
Explanations are welcomed! GO BEARS!!!
GGV
Schroeder71
Yes-preferred walk-on means that the college actually recruited her but ran out of scholarships. Have you seen the football movie, Rudy? He was not recruited but made the team through walk-on tryouts sponsored by the school. You're correct-it's hard to get accepted into Cal. I applied to several UC schools and never heard back from Berkeley. Cal campuses at Santa Barbara, Davis & Santa Cruz accepted by gpa and SAT immediately. This was during the Summer of Love (1967) and there are more UC campuses available today. GO BEARS!
puget sound cal fan
Max Prep states Bella was added to the Santa Cruz roster in 2021. Did she transfer-in from elsewhere? Her videos do show her form on her outside shot is a "jumper". Her comfort an accuracy with it reflects good coaching and lots of practice. Also, I noted she's athletic and runs the court well. She can finish her lay-up comfortably with either hand, too. Bella will be a solid addition to the Bears. Regarding her "walk-on" status, I hope she wants a Cal education, and the opportunity to play for the Bears because I'd be surprised if Bella doesn't receive full scholarship offers.
stu
I'd expect her to get a scholarship if/when one becomes available. I think we did that with Archer and Sierra.
Intuit
wvitbear
When they offered her a preferred walkon, they had no scholarships. When Daniels left,they needed a big.
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/bella-stevens/w3C67OouEeiAxKkkK9HIDg/default.htm

This is a clip of #4 Bella Steven's three point shot in action. She is tall (5-10), fast and athletic. I noticed that this young lady shoots her three as a *jump shot*! She also has a higher release than many girls. How many girls can shoot jumpers from deep in high school ? I remember that I didn't perfect my long range jumper until I attended UCSB. I predict that this girl will be a sleeper and play for Cal...Bella is remeniscent of some of the European gals like the 5-10 SG star, Ioanna Krimili, of USF.
GO BEARS!
Here is a longer highlight video

not sure what you mean by "shoots her three as a *jump shot*"

It looks like she shoots threes like most players.

The player I thought shot threes as a jump shot was Jabari Bird. He was literally 3 feet off the ground when he released the ball...

stu
wvitbear said:

When they offered her a preferred walkon, they had no scholarships. When Daniels left,they needed a big.
Apparently we'll now have two transfer bigs: Peanut Tuitele and Claudia Langarita. And with three departures one available scholarship. We'll see what happens.
Ashfield63
Amaya Bonner will be on scholarship......so that is three with the two transfers.
Peanut has one year of eligibility remaining.
stu
We already had a scholarship for Amaya so there's still one left.
GR: Jadyn, Karisma, Peanut
SR: Leilani, Evelien, Jazlen
JR: Michelle, Sela, Alma, Ornela
SO: Mia, Jayda, Claudia
FR: Amaya

BTW the 2022-23 roster is up at CalBears
The newcomers (Amaya, Peanut, Claudia) are not yet listed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.