LG at USC

4,148 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GOLDEN
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
USC goes down tonight 61-42 at Missouri State while committing 22 turnovers. Deja Vu all over again.
Baygbear
I don't know if this is supposed to be a knock against Gottlieb or her team's opponent but Missouri State is a Sweet 16 team who is pretty darn good and I would guess was the favorite to win the game.

Now, I do think USC isn't going to succeed with Gottlieb's lob ball offense but for this game specifically I am not surprised by the boxscore.

Stanford is Missouri States kryptonite defeating them in the first round a couple years ago and the Sweet 16 last year.
OBear073akaSMFan
Plus playing at their homes makes a big difference too but bottomline kind of happy to see SC lose even if it's a pac-12 team.
wvitbear
Missouri State has made two final fours. They are a load. USC won their first three games convincingly.
Schroeder71
Troy lost in Los Angeles but they are playing without their best player, PF Alissa Pili. SC is also playing without its transfer guard from Virginia.
Women's Basketball vs Missouri State on 11/20/2021 - Box Score - USC Athletics (usctrojans.com)
wbbilluminati
Notice USC has a grad transfer from Virginia Commonwealth, Akiene-Tera Reed. The name might evoke some deja vu, there should be some old posts about her on this board.

She was a bit of a mystery as a high school underclassman ranked really high by some national scouts and linked to a school somewhere in NorCal (I forget if it was in Santa Cruz or maybe Modesto?).

Anyway, then she popped up on the New Zealand national youth team before resurfacing in New Jersey and had a solid career at VCU. Looks like her mom played at San Diego.
Ucscbearfan
LG landed a top player from SoCal who is just a freshman at Oaks Christian in Westlake Village. As the article mentions, the family are lifelong Trojan fans, but a solid get for Lindsay...

Eighth grade basketball phenom commits to USC
Many young athletes dream big, but local hooper Brooklyn Shamblin is one of a few teenagers that has the dedication and drive to reach their goals before they even reach high school.
Brooklyn is a rare breed. She has yet to play a high school basketball game, but after receiving hype online, nationwide scholarship offers and even recognition from late Lakers legend Kobe Bryant who asked her to come play at Sage Hill High with his daughter, Gigi, before their untimely death in 2020 Brooklyn has already declared to play college basketball at the University of Southern California.
"It feels great to show other girls that your dreams, the things you've been dreaming about doing it's possible," Brooklyn said.

Kobe Bryant called her "Lucky Lefty," and while the southpaw slasher is in fact left-handed, her success is better attributed to her intense work ethic and ability to motivate herself to make her dreams a reality. It's also in her blood.
Her father BJ was a college football player, who played on the last UC Santa Barbara football team before the school discontinued the program in the '90s. Her brother Ty was an all-around athlete at Oaks Cristian who now plays wide receiver for USC. The Shamblin family are all lifelong Trojan fans, and now Brooklyn will follow her brother to the school, joining new coach Lindsay Gottlieb to try and revive the legacy of women's basketball at USC, which won back-to-back national championships in the '80s.
Brooklyn's mother, Julie Shamblin, is a teacher and cheerleading coach at Carpinteria High School and hopes her children can show that even in small-town Carpinteria, huge talent can grow and make it to the top level.
"Carpinteria has a lot of great athletes," Julie said. She said her daughter caught the basketball bug watching her big brother play in high school, and since then Brooklyn has excelled in club circuits and caught the attention of college scouts. Her first offer, from UCSB, came in seventh grade after coach Bonnie Hendrickson saw Brooklyn Play a middle school game at Oaks Christian.
After that first offer and after Brooklyn turned more heads on the Under Armour circuit more scholarship offers flooded in. She received offers from all Pac 12 conference schools, as well as women's college basketball powerhouse the University of Connecticut by the time she finished eighth grade. The hype never distracted Brooklyn, Julie said, and it only cemented her confidence in her ability to succeed on a collegiate level.

"She had the attitude of, 'Why not? Why can't I make it?'" Julie said. "As parents we kind of understand, if you're willing to do what others aren't."
This willingness to practice every day, and to stay in the gym for that extra practice, is what gives Brooklyn her edge. Brooklyn says she is inspired by other female athletes like Simone Biles, who she said is "willing to go outside the limits," and be a role model for other younger athletes. Brooklyn hopes that her success can help other girls pursue their goals with the same energy.
Her game is aggressive. Brooklyn is described as a combo guard, a slasher and a scorer who looks up to women's basketball stars Sabrina Ionescu and Sue Bird, who have changed the game and opened doors for others behind them. Women's basketball has boomed in popularity in recent years, and Brooklyn sees herself as part of this new culture.
Choosing where to go to college four years before the fact can be daunting, but after meeting coach Gottlieb at USC, Brooklyn decided that is the place where she wanted to be. Gottlieb has been a mentor for her, and she often calls her future coach for advice.
"I love her energy, the way she sees the game," Brooklyn said.
Brooklyn will begin her high school career next year at Oaks Christian, and she is looking forward to growing and improving her game before she heads to USC. She said she loves playing against higher level competition, something that helps push her to be better.
"I'm definitely ready for the challenge, and to go out and win some championships." she said.
smh

lil miss brooklyn on our left
ClayK
Eighth grade phenoms always pan out, right?

And Sabrina Ionescu was a complete unknown in eighth grade.
calbearsfan
Another Gotlieb special. USF 78 $C 63. We beat The Dons 70-41. Glad I don't have sit through games like that anymore
wbbilluminati
I could excuse the Missouri State loss but this I can't support! What did she supposedly learn in the NBA?

USC always attracts recruits so I've always thought LG could recruit her way to success at USC but you gotta keep the record respectable and she's got lots of experience, athleticism and size to work with on her current roster! (some of the players she recruited for Cal actually)

I'm sure LG wasn't the only one to offer Shamblin early, I'd hear the name before, but on video I don't know if she has the size or athleticism to compete with the type of guards UCLA is bringing in.
calbearinamaze
wbbilluminati said:

Notice USC has a grad transfer from Virginia Commonwealth, Akiene-Tera Reed. The name might evoke some deja vu, there should be some old posts about her on this board.

She was a bit of a mystery as a high school underclassman ranked really high by some national scouts and linked to a school somewhere in NorCal (I forget if it was in Santa Cruz or maybe Modesto?).

Anyway, then she popped up on the New Zealand national youth team before resurfacing in New Jersey and had a solid career at VCU. Looks like her mom played at San Diego.
There are several posts in the archives dating back to January 2014
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
Ccajon2
Loved LG for winning a Pac co title and making it to the FF same year. Gradual disappointment next few years as it seemed the recruiting dropped off despite that FF year. Didn't like it at all when UO and others beat Cal out of several 5***** players that lived within an hours drive from Campus. I was glad when she left, made Cal look good taking that pro coaching job. Now I bet the 'SC counterparts to Whtttlebear and that S71 guy are scratching there noggins wondering about *** is wrong with their coach who can't win despite the talent.
coachdeke
Ucscbearfan said:

LG landed a top player from SoCal who is just a freshman at Oaks Christian in Westlake Village. As the article mentions, the family are lifelong Trojan fans, but a solid get for Lindsay...

We'll see how that works out! LG may not be the coach by then.
carmichaelbear
Was looking at the stats for the USC-Colorado game last night. USC had 19 turnovers and had the ball stolen 14 times. Yikes
wbbilluminati
Colorado, however, has a very good team.

They, along with Arizona, are the only remaining undefeated teams in D1.

Seems a little unfair that Colorado is still not in the top 25 rankings.
Ashfield63
wbbilluminati said:

Colorado, however, has a very good team.

They, along with Arizona, are the only remaining undefeated teams in D1.

Seems a little unfair that Colorado is still not in the top 25 rankings.

Washington State was only behind by 2 points at Arizona near the end of the game. The Referees called 2 quick fouls on Washington State. Tammy Ethridge was given a technical foul. There was a five point turn around for Arizona. A couple of years ago, Cori Close had a technical at the end of a game. UCLA lost the game as did Washington State. Charmin Smith was given a technical foul not too long ago at a pre-season game. During the post game press conference, she basically said she was not happy with her behavior(not a quote). I hate to see this happen, especially when the score is so close. Of note: what a pleasure to watch Lexi Hull make 7 out of 10
three pointers for Stanford against Oregon last night. She scored 33 points. Mary Murphy, Pac-12 Nerwork had good things to say about Charmin and Cal. She said Jazzy, Jayda, and D. Daniels were available to play vs Oregon tomorrow.
GOLDEN
USC beat No. 4 Arizona 76-67

Big win for them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.