Interesting OOC stats make it difficult to evaluate Pac 12 teams...

1,101 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CalFanatic
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pac-12

If one clicks on OFFENSE or DEFENSE and then clicks on the heading of the far-right column labeled PTS, the rankings of the dozen conference schools becomes apparent, This is not the end of the story because of strength of schedules, home vs away games, etc. It is interesting to note, however, that the four highest scoring teams Utah, Cal, UCLA & Oregon are also the four worst defensive teams in exactly that same order. In other words, Cal in 2nd in offense and 11th in defense. Utah is the highest scoring team in the conference but the worst defensive team based upon points.

I read the strength of schedule stats in the weekly profile once. I just scrolled through 39 pages but cannot find it now. I believe the weakest schedules were Colorado (by far), Cal, Utah & Arizona. The two undefeated teams (Colorado & Arizona) are two of the schools listed. Arizona was scheduled to face Texas on Dec 21st but the game was cancelled.

These stat comparisons are intriguing but make the team interactions unclear. Cal has the potential to score in the seventies but Washington State and Washington hold their opponents to approximately 57point range. The three teams that possess the biggest positive margins of victory are Arizona (24.3ppg), Colorado (20,9) & Utah (20.4).

Prior to the season, I thought that Cal had a shot to upset ASU, Washington, Utah & maybe Oregon State. Now-I feel stronger about the Bears (9-2) and believe that they could beat ASU, Washington, Oregon State, USC, Washington State & Utah. UCLA & Oregon also appear beatable but they are missing 2-3 star players. If they return, an upset is doubtful. If they don't-it's a long shot but possible. Colorado brought back senior 6-4 post Hollingshed and received two UDub transfers. The Buffs are formidable now and the Bears would have to outscore 'em in Berkeley to have a chance. Arizona has three more transfers but still doesn't look unbeatable. The Wildcats have been winning on defense and they visit Berkeley only. Stanford has a talent-laden roster that hasn't been playing up to their potential but I still doubt that Cal can pull-off an upset. GO BEARS!

Feedback, anyone?
Merry Christmas! GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
the most reliable stat is FT% which Cal leads!
CalFanatic
I am truly, truly impressed with the turn around. Call me a follower of the church of Charmin.

We are going to surprise some teams this conference season. Mark my word!
CalFanatic
....and good luck USC. You'll see what made Cal basketball so miserable to watch after that miraculous FF run.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.