OT-WCJ opening results (Platinum division)

2,012 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Schroeder71
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
West Coast Jamboree (Platinum) - MaxPreps

San Joaquin Memorial (Fresno) gave Desoto-Texas a battle in the early game. Kevin Swillis's
daughter is a 6-2 frosh post to keep an eye on for the future. In the second game, the defending
state champ, Centennial of Corona, was defeated by Salesian of Richmond. In the third game,
Archbishop Mitty broke open a close game late, beating Oakland Tech, 88-62. The Monarchs have
a soph PG Cheli, a Cal offeree. The nitecap had Carondolet upending Bishop O'Dowd, 61-54. Cal-
bound guard, Amaya Bonner, plays for BOD.
wvitbear
What happened in the BOD game.
ClayK
Carondelet led the whole way, really (game is on BallerTV, I believe), though BOD cut the lead to two late (53-51).

Jamie Kent, a 6-0 junior, hit a big three in the last two minutes to pretty much seal the deal for Carondelet.

Stanford-bound Talana Lepolo led the way for Carondelet, while Amaya Bonner flashed her athleticism and had one of her better games. Still, she almost always has to go left to score, and does not shoot from the perimeter.

O'Dowd now plays Oakland Tech, which battled Mitty on even terms until the fourth quarter, while Carondelet plays Mitty.

Salesian knocked off Centennial of Corona and will face No. 2 DeSoto, which looked ragged in a surprisingly close win over San Joaquin Memorial.

All games at Las Positas, starting at 3:30 and 5 with loser's bracket and 6:30 for winners.
HoopDreams
thanks S71 and Clay ... and NOT OT
Ashfield63
ClayK said:

Carondelet led the whole way, really (game is on BallerTV, I believe), though BOD cut the lead to two late (53-51).

Jamie Kent, a 6-0 junior, hit a big three in the last two minutes to pretty much seal the deal for Carondelet.

Stanford-bound Talana Lepolo led the way for Carondelet, while Amaya Bonner flashed her athleticism and had one of her better games. Still, she almost always has to go left to score, and does not shoot from the perimeter.

O'Dowd now plays Oakland Tech, which battled Mitty on even terms until the fourth quarter, while Carondelet plays Mitty.

Salesian knocked off Centennial of Corona and will face No. 2 DeSoto, which looked ragged in a surprisingly close win over San Joaquin Memorial.

All games at Las Positas, starting at 3:30 and 5 with loser's bracket and 6:30 for winners.

Hey Clay, so it okay to recruit and offer Amaya Bonner because you do not consider her an elite athlete. As you said, it meaningless for Cal to offer highly rated highschool players. Eventhough Amaya played well, you still find fault with her. I do not know what to think of your rather negative evaluations of players. I hope you are more positive as a coach. You are influencing young highschool girls as a JV coach. Hopefully, you are not discouraging them from pursuing their aspirations.
Schroeder71
I subscribed to Ballertv.com and watched significant portions of all four games in the Platinum Division today and tonight. I did watch Bishop O'Dowd vs Oakland Tech this afternoon. I was impressed with Amaya Bonner at Mitty as a sophomore but was overall not impressed with her as a senior. She is a good all-around player that has a point guard mentallity and hardly ever looks for her shot even when she has a height advantage over her opponent. When I was watching she had several beautiful passing assists on fast breaks (reminded me of Karisma Ortiz). Amaya plays strong defense and is definitely 6-0 if not 6-1.

I agree that she is a poor shooter and finisher on drives to the basket. She does dribble to her left every time unless she has a straight lane to the basket. She must have penetrated to the free throw line a half of a dozen times with a height advantage and never took a jump shot. She passed off to her teammates. Bonner is the ultimate team player. On her drives to the hoop, she was unable to finish but often drew fouls. When I was watching specifically, she only converted 3 of 8 free throws. The Bishop O'Dowd star got a layup and a couple of offensive rebound put-backs for baskets. She took two outside shots that were not close (one was an air ball)

Fortunately, I don't think coach Smith needs offense from Amaya Bonner. I just hope that she scores enough to earn PT.

I will attempt to catch her game tomorrow vs Centennial-Corona for the championship of the loser's bracket. I'll see if her game today was an off-day or not. Honestly-I don't know how she recently scored 32 points in a game because she doesn't take enough shots to do that...She is not the key to the Dragpn's offense. The guards are. PG #11 is a good three point shooter and driver to draw fouls. She was an excellent free throw shooter today. I believe the loser's bracket game should be at 5 pm if you decide that you want to see Cal's
recruit play to form your own opinion.

I'm going to watch Archbishop Mitty now face up with Carondolet. I'll scout soph PG Morgan Cheli, a Cal offeree. Stanford has the Carondolet senior PG so it should be an interesting matchup.

GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

I subscribed to Ballertv.com and watched significant portions of all four games in the Platinum Division today and tonight. I did watch Bishop O'Dowd vs Oakland Tech this afternoon. I was impressed with Amaya Bonner at Mitty as a sophomore but was overall not impressed with her as a senior. She is a good all-around player that has a point guard mentallity and hardly ever looks for her shot even when she has a height advantage over her opponent. When I was watching she had several beautiful passing assists on fast breaks (reminded me of Karisma Ortiz). Amaya plays strong defense and is definitely 6-0 if not 6-1.

I agree that she is a poor shooter and finisher on drives to the basket. She does dribble to her left every time unless she has a straight lane to the basket. She must have penetrated to the free throw line a half of a dozen times with a height advantage and never took a jump shot. She passed off to her teammates. Bonner is the ultimate team player. On her drives to the hoop, she was unable to finish but often drew fouls. When I was watching specifically, she only converted 3 of 8 free throws. The Bishop O'Dowd got a layup and a couple of offensive rebound put-backs for baskets. She took two outside shots that were not close (one was an air ball)

Fortunately, I don't think coach Smith needs offense from Amaya Bonner. I just hope that she scores enough to earn PT.

I will attempt to catch her game tomorrow vs Centennial-Corona for the championship of the loser's bracket. I'll see if her game today was an off-day or not. Honestly-I don't know how she recently scored 32 points in a game because she doesn't take enough shots to do that...She is not the key to the Dragpn's offense. The guards are. PG #11 is a good three point shooter and driver to draw fouls. She was an excellent free throw shooter today. I believe the loser's bracket game should be at 5 pm if you decide that you want to see Cal's
recruit play to form your own opinion.

I'm going to watch Archbishop Mitty now face up with Carondolet. I'll scout soph PG Morgan Cheli, a Cal offeree. Stanford has the Carondolet PG so it should be an interesting matchup.

GO BEARS!
thanks for the scouting report on Amaya. Clay also doesn't think very highly of her. Since she is coming in as the only Cal freshmen, I disagree we don't need her for offense. Ideally, she would be a key contributor as the lone recruit, and to balance out the classes.

one thing I don't get is why she is so highly ranked. She will be one of the highest rated recruits on the team
ClayK
I want to be clear on Amaya Bonner. She is an outstanding high school player, and will be a good college player, in my estimation.

She is tall and athletic, and is very good close to the basket. She could be a plus defender if she works hard at that end of the floor.

From my point of view, it's unfortunate she hasn't worked more on her perimeter game, or looked for outside shots more (in the games I have seen). And like so many exceptional athletes, it's hard to justify doing something different when the thing you do almost every time works so well.

Bonner has a high ceiling, as there are, at least me to me, obvious ways in which she could improve her game. Some players reach college fully developed, with not much room for growth, but it doesn't appear to me Bonner is one of those players. If she adds a few elements to her game, she could be an all-league type of player; as she is, she would be a solid contributor.

I think the feeling that "I don't like her" springs from my sense that she could be better than she is -- even though she's really good right now.

And finally, as to "offering": Cal, or anyone, can "offer" anyone, in eighth grade or whenever. It's a sign of significant interest, and sometimes players wind up going with the program that showed interest the earliest. I just don't know how often that happens, or what "offering" really has to do with a team's signing of a particular recruit.

It does show, however, that the coaching staff thinks the player is really good, but in Morgan Cheli's case, that's been obvious for a while.
HoopDreams
Thanks for the explanation, and I agree with your points

She would be a much bigger offensive threat if she can score on all three levels, and it will also help her drive game, otherwise defenders will sit back and even hunt for charges

Daniels is a good example of a player who's been limited in college because she does have that triple-threat (although she's improving her shooting)

But S71's comments are also concerning as he mentioned she was having a hard time finishing at the rim or at the FT line

ClayK said:

I want to be clear on Amaya Bonner. She is an outstanding high school player, and will be a good college player, in my estimation.

She is tall and athletic, and is very good close to the basket. She could be a plus defender if she works hard at that end of the floor.

From my point of view, it's unfortunate she hasn't worked more on her perimeter game, or looked for outside shots more (in the games I have seen). And like so many exceptional athletes, it's hard to justify doing something different when the thing you do almost every time works so well.

Bonner has a high ceiling, as there are, at least me to me, obvious ways in which she could improve her game. Some players reach college fully developed, with not much room for growth, but it doesn't appear to me Bonner is one of those players. If she adds a few elements to her game, she could be an all-league type of player; as she is, she would be a solid contributor.

I think the feeling that "I don't like her" springs from my sense that she could be better than she is -- even though she's really good right now.

And finally, as to "offering": Cal, or anyone, can "offer" anyone, in eighth grade or whenever. It's a sign of significant interest, and sometimes players wind up going with the program that showed interest the earliest. I just don't know how often that happens, or what "offering" really has to do with a team's signing of a particular recruit.

It does show, however, that the coaching staff thinks the player is really good, but in Morgan Cheli's case, that's been obvious for a while.
Schroeder71
West Coast Jamboree (Platinum) - MaxPreps
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.