Cal vs the green meanies

3,100 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wifeisafurd
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ducks shoot very well during warmups

Even some of their bigger players

We will certainly have our hands full
HoopDreams
Daniels not warming up

…. That is going to be tough against the full strength long and athletic ducks
HoopDreams
Cal guards also shooting well in warmups
ncbears
Oregon shooting well at start of game. Bears not.
Oregon 13 Cal 2 - 6 minutes to go in first
ncbears
Oregon 4-5 from deep. 16-2
HoopDreams
33 hit 3 swishes from 3

Then another player swished another one

We missed some open 3s and a bunny under basket

Down 14 after only 5 minutes
HoopDreams
Cal had 2 most of the quarter, and now have 13 (3 threes and a post score)

Michelle playing well with some tough catches and a great pass to jazzy for a 3
ncbears
26-13 after one
Duck were 6-8 from deep. 10-14 overall ( so 4-6 from inside the arc)
Cal was 3-7 from deep and 5-15 overall (so 2-8 from inside the arc)
HoopDreams
3 players missed 3 bunnies

That's 6 points
HoopDreams
5 Oregon players are transfers

gljone
Ducks offensively are very comfortable.

Cal's offense not so. Add unforced TOs...

Cal missed 3 layups early and 2 wide open 3s really early and it affected them body language wise.

Recipe for being -23 at the half
HoopDreams
33 is 6-6 from 3 and hasn't hit the rim yet
blungld
The faces change, but one thing has been consistent for the past 10+ years: we miss bunnies. I have never seen a team miss more point blank shots so often and for such a long stretch of time. It's honestly bizarrely part of the identity now. Is it contagious?
HoopDreams
Jazzy hit the deck hard on a scramble ball and left the court limping
GATC
Ice pack on her knee
HoopDreams
Not good as I think that's her injured leg
GOLDEN
The USC transfer Endyia Rogers was a nice pick up for them. Never really got into a flow offensively and some mentioned the bunny misses. It was like there was a lid over the basket.
Schroeder71
Cal is playing in the wrong league. The Bears need to participate elsewhere because they were outclassed in every phase of the game. Oregon scored 36 off of turnovers & second chance points!! It was an absolute embarrassment to watch no defense being played by Cal. The coaching staff did not have the offense prepared for Jayda Curry being double-teamed. She turned over the ball 5 times (4 in the 1st half). Granted Curry had not played in 19 days but she suffered through her weakest effort as a Bear in her Pac 12 opener. Now-every team has a blueprint of how to shut down Cal. It also appears as if several key players will not be healthy anytime soon: Jazzy Green, Dalayah Daniels, Jaden Bush, Sela Heide,etc.

Women's Basketball vs Oregon on 1/9/2022 - Box Score - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

I thought that Cal might be better than the 12th place pre-season prediction but I'm not certain anymore. I have watched most of the conference play and I have not seen any other team play as poorly as the Bears did today. IMO, Cal needs to be healthy to upset Pac 12 teams. My prediction was an Oregon victory, 80-60. The Ducks could have scored 100 if their head coach had wanted to...The Ducks did last year in Berkeley.

I have two pages of notes about individual performances but I'm just gonna let it go...I believe that today was the turning point for a downward spiral of the season. The coaching staff should be embarrassed by the lack of offensive preparation and zero defense being played for the most part...Oregon's #4 post player outplayed our best. Utah is up next and is the weaker of the two Rocky Mountain opponents next weekend. Hopefully-the Bears can face the Utes in live action to ***get a better measure on the quality of our team***. Utah has been postponing their games recently. Colorado is undefeated at 13-0 after sweeping UCLA & USC and should enter the top 25 this week. Does anyone know what is wrong with Daniels? She sat is street clothes on the bench so I don't believe that she could be positive w/ Covid-19. DD is important to the success of the team but has now missed three games out of 13 on the season.
2021-2022 California Women's Basketball (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

GO BEARS!

SFCALBear72
In person, the Ducks look like a WNBA team. Very deep bench. Tall and strong. No drop off in play. Years of very good recruiting. Cal will get there...someday.

Charmin was feeling a bit frustrated during her postgame talk to Golden Way members. It was mainly our lack of 3-point shooting defense which frustrated her. She actually thought we played better as a team in the first half. We got good looks, but shots just weren't going in. Jayda was a bit off her game with the lay-off. She'll get back in rhythm with each game.

A quick turnaround. Utah in Salt Lake City on Thursday. I guess there's a gymnastics meet on Friday, so we play a day early.

Note: Utah has not played a game since December 21. Games against the Oregon schools and LA schools were postponed.
Schroeder71
I heard Charmin's postgame interview. It was short and sweet. The offense did miss three "bunnies" in the 1st quarter (McIntosh, Onyiah & Schipholt). I believe that the reason #33 Parrish was uncovered for her treys was that she was Oregon's 4th best offensive (Rogers, Sabally & Paopao) option. Today, most of the Duck outside shooters were open. Their big post players would set a screen and the guard would be uncovered for five-ten feet after coming around it. I noticed in the second half that the Bear's switched to a zone defense.

Utah has two freshmen and a soph as their top three scorers. The Utes are averaging approximately 86 points per game. I want to see how the Bears do against ASU (H), Washington (2x), Oregon State(2x), Utah (2x),
Arizona (H), Washington State (H), Colorado (H), USC (A), etc. I doubt that Cal has an upset chance at Oregon, Stanford (2x) or at UCLA. Maybe the Bruins at Pauley Pavillion if the Bears are playing at their best.

Did you see that Arizona traveled to USC this afternoon & was knocked from the ranks of the unbeaten (67-76)?
This is what I expect from Cal at Haas-to be competitive. The Bears cannot let teams come to our house and beat us by 35 points. The men's team just played #5 UCLA & #7 USC tight at Haas but could not finish. Mark Fox, the men's HC, still got the most out of his talent. I would like to see the women's team be able to do that the majority of the time. Ole Miss was the only other team to dominate Cal at home this season (17-point margin). GO BEARS
HoopDreams
I don't know Oregon players, but if 33 is their 4th best player they are loaded

She was 7-9 from three and although many were open that is impressive

I was wondering why we couldn't stay with such a hot shooter after she hit her first two

Certainly trying to defend the inside or another top player certainly was a lot of it, but still we need to play better defense against a top shooter

We got blown out by 30 and 28 was from those 7 threes
Schroeder71
HD-Bears were blown out by 35 and 42 Duck points came from 14 treys.
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

HD-Bears were blown out by 35 and 42 Duck points came from 14 treys.
yeah, I know it was more than 30, but I didn't realize it was 14 threes (also 7 threes is only 21 points)

pretty amazing shooting performance, but most were also open shots

I think it got in their heads a little, with the ducks hot start, combined with our terrible start (stuck on 2 for quite awhile) ... as we were missing easy shots, committed unforced turnovers, and unfortunately also got burned on some unlucky bounces (e.g. Cal blocked shots, but during the scramble, a duck player would get it and put it back or kick to an open shooter

HoopDreams
A few more random observations …

The video interview of Evelien was good as she explained how as only a soph last year, it was tough having to be the leader of a team full of freshmen

Her statement was very telling, and then it made even more sense when Cal ran a set play that didn't work (pass got kicked). She got the team's attention and said "RUN IT AGAIN". They ran the exact same play again, with a great entry pass to her, resulting in a basket.

In recent games, Samb has shown flashes of her offensive potential as a low post scorer. Today, she went 2-3 including a nice mid-range shot which I didn't know she had

Michelle is also showing some post scoring moves recently. The offensive side is coming together for both of them as sophs which bodes well for the future.

Elsnitz continues to impress with her fundamentals and hoops IQ. Next year she will be a very good player for us as she is still adjusting to the speed and athletes of D1 hoops (she also needs to improve her 3 point shooting, otherwise defenders will sit on her shot fakes)

I was surprised when Mia ran a fast break. Shows she is fast and confident as a dribbler, although the ducks got back on defense and she found herself in a crowd… losing the ball on her dribble

I can't go to all the games, but for a $15 reserved seat you can sit anywhere in the arena, and for a $10 general ticket you can sit anywhere except the seat backs (neither types of tickets have assigned seating). You can move around and be very close to the court, even hearing the coaches and players talk.
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

A few more random observations …

The video interview of Evelien was good as she explained how as only a soph last year, it was tough having to be the leader of a team full of freshmen

Her statement was very telling, and then it made even more sense when Cal ran a set play that didn't work (pass got kicked). She got the team's attention and said "RUN IT AGAIN". They ran the exact same play again, with a great entry pass to her, resulting in a basket.

In recent games, Samb has shown flashes of her offensive potential as a low post scorer. Today, she went 2-3 including a nice mid-range shot which I didn't know she had

Michelle is also showing some post scoring moves recently. The offensive side is coming together for both of them as sophs which bodes well for the future.

Elsnitz continues to impress with her fundamentals and hoops IQ. Next year she will be a very good player for us as she is still adjusting to the speed and athletes of D1 hoops (she also needs to improve her 3 point shooting, otherwise defenders will sit on her shot fakes)

I was surprised when Mia ran a fast break. Shows she is fast and confident as a dribbler, although the ducks got back on defense and she found herself in a crowd… losing the ball on her dribble

I can't go to all the games, but for a $15 reserved seat you can sit anywhere in the arena, and for a $10 general ticket you can sit anywhere except the seat backs (neither types of tickets have assigned seating). You can move around and be very close to the court, even hearing the coaches and players talk.
Great analysis.

I think the game is finally slowing down for Fatou. She was not afraid to go to the basket while being guarded by Sabally and company. Now, if Michelle would just slow down her frantic pace, she could be a nice scoring threat. She got some great looks yesterday and just couldn't finish.

Alma is also going to be a very good defender. She got in the face of one Duck guard and stayed with her without fouling. Props to Eliza for helping with this.
wvitbear
Now that Oregon has got their players back, I think they and Stanford are on a different plane. Witness what Stanford did to WSU. I think many teams may get blown out.
BearBint
wvitbear said:

Now that Oregon has got their players back, I think they and Stanford are on a different plane. Witness what Stanford did to WSU. I think many teams may get blown out.
The 2/20 Palo Alto @ Ducks game could be interesting...
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Schroeder71
I agree that Fatou Samb is improving her offensive repertoire. The major problem for her is her lack of speed on defense. In a recent game, she gave up three consecutive three pointers by being unable to get out to the shooter. She cannot defend a shooter at the free throw line. When Sabally or any post drives on her, they usually score on a layup. I don't know how they can play her significant minutes when the game is close. bottom-line: her opponent is outscoring her during her time on the floor.

I agree that Michelle Onyiah seems to play out of control. She is too emotional. She is giving great effort while on the court but she is picking up personal fouls way too quickly. For her size, she is the best shot blocker on the team. Sela Heide gets more blocks per minute but she is 6-7.
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

I agree that Fatou Samb is improving her offensive repertoire. The major problem for her is her lack of speed on defense. In a recent game, she gave up three consecutive three pointers by being unable to get out to the shooter. She cannot defend a shooter at the free throw line. When Sabally or any post drives on her, they usually score on a layup. I don't know how they can play her significant minutes when the game is close. bottom-line: her opponent is outscoring her during her time on the floor.

I agree that Michelle Onyiah seems to play out of control. She is too emotional. She is giving great effort while on the court but she is picking up personal fouls way too quickly. For her size, she is the best shot blocker on the team. Sela Heide gets more blocks per minute but she is 6-7.
fair points, although a lot of defenders would have trouble with Sabally

I see Michelle as rebounder first, defense second, and offense third at this point

I think both have the talent to improve with experience and coaching
3Cats4CAL
i'm glad that Samb is improving as in the past oftentimes when passed the ball she couldn't hold onto it.
I like McIntosh's and Crocker's passion and intensity but so many times when they are driving to the basket it looks like a deer in headlights like they (esp McIntosh) are just throwing the ball up without really aiming for the basket in hopes that some other Cal player will rebound it-or is it just that they lack the height?
LegoBear
To be honest disappointed at the results, hoping that the Bears who be a little bit more competitive than a 30 point blow out at this point. The men's team were able to fight vs two absolutely top notch teams while significantly out-talented.

Hopefully Im wrong and this was a blip.
stu
LegoBear said:

The men's team were able to fight vs two absolutely top notch teams while significantly out-talented.
Our men's team is playing 2 grads, 1 5th-year senior, 1 senior, 4 juniors, 1 soph, and 1 freshie.

Our women are playing 1 grad, 0 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 redshirt sophs, 4 sophs, 1 redshirt freshie, and 1 freshie.

Big difference in experience. We'll get better.
wifeisafurd
stu said:

LegoBear said:

The men's team were able to fight vs two absolutely top notch teams while significantly out-talented.
Our men's team is playing 2 grads, 1 5th-year senior, 1 senior, 4 juniors, 1 soph, and 1 freshie.

Our women are playing 1 grad, 0 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 redshirt sophs, 4 sophs, 1 redshirt freshie, and 1 freshie.

Big difference in experience. We'll get better.
The women's team has way more talent though. Unfortunately, they face a much better conference than the guys.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.