April Phillips

3,303 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HoopDreams
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had lost track of April Phillips. I thought that she had gone back to Arizona. But it looks like she has now been on the Texas staff, going to the Elite Eight. Quite a step up from the PAC12 basement. And the Texas big people look well-coached.
SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

I had lost track of April Phillips. I thought that she had gone back to Arizona. But it looks like she has now been on the Texas staff, going to the Elite Eight. Quite a step up from the PAC12 basement. And the Texas big people look well-coached.
Was that snarky comment really necessary? As recruiting coordinator at Cal, she helped to achieve that top 10 recruiting class.

She did return to Arizona in April 2021, but then Vic Schaefer and the Longhorns called in June 2021.
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

Was that snarky comment really necessary? As recruiting coordinator at Cal, she helped to achieve that top 10 recruiting class.

She did return to Arizona in April 2021, but then Vic Schaefer and the Longhorns called in June 2021.
I was complimenting her on the move. Sorry if reality disturbs you.
Finnish Oski
Quote:

Sorry if reality disturbs you.
Now that's snarky.
annarborbear
These are my criteria for a head coach's performance

1. Wins and Losses
2. Conference Finishes
3. Post-Season Appearances
4. Player Recruitment
5. Player Development
6. Player Retention
7. Player Graduation
8. Fan Attendance/Related Revenues
9. Donor Support

Other people evaluate more on likeability.

Vin Schaefer at Texas checks all of the boxes.
stu
0. Squeaky clean.
annarborbear
stu said:

0. Squeaky clean.
Mark Fox is squeaky clean, but unless he starts checking more of the boxes, I doubt that he will be around much longer.
stu
Mark Fox has checked only Boxes 0 and 7, with Box 5 maybe half checked. But that seems good enough for our AD.
annarborbear
stu said:

Mark Fox has checked only Boxes 0 and 7, with Box 5 maybe half checked. But that seems good enough for our AD.
At Cal at present, brown-nosing the AD may be #11.
wbbilluminati
April's always been considered a hot "up-and-coming" name in the coaching profession, and I think it's just a question if she gets a shot at a P5 HC position from the assistant level or if she starts considering mid-major HC positions first. Then of course once she's a HC we'll see if she can actually thrive at that role. I think her time at Cal might've been that she wanted to live in California but recognized the trajectories at Arizona then Texas might be better for her resume and future goals.
Ashfield63
wbbilluminati said:

April's always been considered a hot "up-and-coming" name in the coaching profession, and I think it's just a question if she gets a shot at a P5 HC position from the assistant level or if she starts considering mid-major HC positions first. Then of course once she's a HC we'll see if she can actually thrive at that role. I think her time at Cal might've been that she wanted to live in California but recognized the trajectories at Arizona then Texas might be better for her resume and future goals.

I thought April claim to fame was her recruiting! I did not know she coached that much.....I do not care for Vic Shafer, but this Texas team is something to watch play in person. I saw them beat Stanford in the pre-season at Palo Alto. His behavior left alot to be desired.
stu
When it comes to behavior Tara sets the bar pretty high.
SFCALBear72
As per Raoul:

April Phillips has been named the new San Jose State WBB head coach; she was an asst. coach at Texas for the 2021-22 season, with earlier stints on the Arizona, Cal, and LMU staffs; started her college playing career at Ga. Tech, then transferred to Xavier https://sjsuspartans.com/news/2022/4/6/womens-basketball-san-jos-state-names-april-phillips-as-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

Welcome back to the Bay Area, Coach Phillips.

I see a new rivalry developing between Cal and SJSU.
wbbilluminati
I think that's good fit. I'm happy for her.
calbear80
Here is our current coach's performance using your criteria:

annarborbear said:

These are my criteria for a head coach's performance

1. Wins and Losses F
2. Conference Finishes F
3. Post-Season Appearances. F
4. Player Recruitment. SEE AVOVE
5. Player Development SEE ABOVE
6. Player Retention SEE ABOVE
7. Player Graduation ?
8. Fan Attendance/Related Revenues SEE ABOVE
9. Donor Support SEE ABOVE

Other people evaluate more on likeability.

Vin Schaefer at Texas checks all of the boxes.

And our current coach?

Go Bears!
annarborbear
Please note that those grades came from you and not me, even though you have embedded them in my post. I am waiting until the end of next year to make an assessment. But I do believe that next year is the critical year to show that this can go in a more positive direction.
calbear80
You are correct

Please note that a report card that has:
. Year 1: F
. Year 2: F
. Year 3: F
No matter what the grade is in year 4, will have an overall failing grade.

Please also note that the one of best predictors of near future is recent past.

Go Bears!
ClayK
The April Phillips move is interesting because ...

1) San Jose State is an awful job. Phillips has a great resume, so why would she even think about taking it?

2) Unless she has a good reason to think she can succeed there. The football team guarantees a Silicon Valley job to all players after graduation, and maybe Phillips has a similar situation. Or something. SJS has been a coaching graveyard, so either Phillips is incredibly confident or she knows something we don't.

3) If SJS is successful, it will impact Cal. Though the academic reputations are much different, elite players see basketball as their career, not the sociology degree career path. If Phillips makes it work there, she will get some players Cal would like to have, unless Cal improves at the same rate.
calbear80
San Jose State maybe awful, but, it did beat Cal's current WBB coach. So, if SJSC state is awful, what would that make …

Go Bears!
stu
That was last season when most of our guards were out. We also lost to Bakersfield and USF. This season we beat all six OOC California schools we played.
annarborbear
April is basically betting that she can recruit well, which is her strength, and can also bring in some transfers from the portal. And with that, she can quickly move a team up in a conference like the Mountain West. I wouldn't bet against her.
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

April is basically betting that she can recruit well, which is her strength, and can also bring in some transfers from the portal. And with that, she can quickly move a team up in a conference like the Mountain West. I wouldn't bet against her.

April knows so many players. She will sign good players. San Jose State, with its proximity to Silicon Valley opens up oportunities and offers different majors. It also has a Forensic Science Program. It is in the Bay Area, which would appeal to many sudent athletes from other states. I see the positive side of her first HC position. It would be great to have SJS build a successful WBB Program. Heck, if a player is not happy, she can give up her four year scholarship, and enter the monster of a Transfer Portal! Who knows where she will end up..... Geno Auremma said 250 players who entered the portal were not offered a basketball scholarship last year. Hi, Mom and Dad, I am in the transfer portal, and do not know if I will be offered another full ride to play basketball and graduate from college. Mom and Dad, YOU WHAT????? We are not signing for outrageous amounts of Student Loans. GOOD NIGHT!!!
Ashfield63
calbear80 said:

You are correct

Go Bears!
It can take years to rebuild a program to be competitive in the Pac-12. I try to be positive, and not assign an F to four years in a row. Remember, HC left, KA graduated, and we only tied for 6th place her senior year....Covid, injuries, transfers.......I am hoping things will turn in a positive direction for the Cal WBB Program...If not, there will have to be an assessment of the direction of the program.....Until Then....GO BEARS!
calbear80
stu said:

That was last season when most of our guards were out…...

Year 1: Dead Last In The Conference
Year 2: Dead Last in the Conference
Year 3: Next to Dead Last in the Conference
What will be the excuses for the Year 4?

Go Bears!
calbear80
Ashfield63 said:

calbear80 said:

You are correct

Go Bears!
It can take years to rebuild a program to be competitive in the Pac-12……..
Until Then....GO BEARS!

It takes only two or three season for a good coach to build the program from bottom and bring it to the top. As an example, please consider how the new Arizona coach turned them from the usual conference bottom dweller to competing for the National Championship. And, most importantly, Cal was not at the bottom. Please consider how the Cal WBB finished in the Conference each season before and after the new coach:

Old Coach:
. 2012-13: 1st Place in PAC-12 (tied)
. 2013-14: 2nd Place in PAC-12 (tied)
. 2014-15: 3rd Place in PAC-12 (tied)
. 2015-16: 10th Pace in PAC-12
. 2016-17: 7th Place in PAC-12 (tied)
. 2017-18: 5th Place in PAC-12
. 2018-19: 6th Place in PAC-12 (tied)

New Coach
. 2019-20: 12th Place is PAC-12
. 2020-20: 12th Place in PAC-12
. 2021-22: 11th Place in PAC-12

. Average Finish for the Three Year Prior: 6th Place
. Average Finish for the Three Year since: 11.7th Place

As a comparison, please also compare how Arizona finished in the Conference before and after their new coach took over a few years ago.

It is all there on the ESPN and you can check for yourself.

And, Always…. Go Bears!
Ashfield63
San Jose State new commits:

Marisa Davis-Jones is transferring from Washington(Freshman wing from Surprise, Arizona), was ranked 76th overall class of 2021. She was recruited by Cal, originally signed with Duke(had a coaching change), and signed by Jody Quinn HC at the time at U of Washington.

Arizona Grad Transfer, Semaj Smith, 6-6 Sr.(Long Beach, Calif.) will play for April Phillips @SJS.

April is using her recruiting experience to build a competitive WBB Program. How many Pac-12 players will transfer to SJS? I am looking forward to Cal vs SJS in the near future. She stated she is recruiting palyers from Calif. hoping they will stay in the state.

Of note: Other Pac-12 players tranferring back to their home state.
Arizona Grad Transfer, Bendu Yeaney, 5-10 Sr, wing from Portland, Oregon is transferring to Oregon State.

Bryanna Maxwell, Utah 6-0 Jr. Guard, from Harbor, Washington is transferring to Gonzaga. Raoul said it is a Grad Transfer. Maybe she is graduating in three years like Cal Bear, Cailyn Crocker.

annarborbear
Little known fact - While Lauren Greif was working at Stanford after graduating from Cal, she concurrently picked up a Masters Degree in Kinesiology and Sports Psychology from San Jose State before embarking on her now successful career in Sports Technology. SJSU does offer some practical degrees in phys ed and sports that could be attractive to players that April will now try to recruit.
wbbilluminati
I think Marisa's decisions were always influenced by nursing school, for some reason I seem to recall. Hence Duke and hence UW over CAL who doesn't have one. Looks like SJSU indeed has one.
HoopDreams
annarborbear said:

Little known fact - While Lauren Greif was working at Stanford after graduating from Cal, she concurrently picked up a Masters Degree in Kinesiology and Sports Psychology from San Jose State before embarking on her now successful career in Sports Technology. SJSU does offer some practical degrees in phys ed and sports that could be attractive to players that April will now try to recruit.
this again raises the question: why doesn't Cal have a sports marketing degree (sports is a huge business in America), or a social media marketing degree?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.