UCONN prevails over Stanford for final four berth.

1,721 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ClayK
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Women's Basketball vs Connecticut on 4/1/2022 - Box Score - Stanford University Athletics (gostanford.com)

Haley Jones kept the Cardinal close w/ a *double double* but I thought that the Huskies out played 'em. Stanford will miss badly next season the Hull twins and Anna Wilson in regards to ball-handling and especially on defense. I thought that UConn guards outplayed the Hull sisters last night. Lexie (#12) was held to four points (2-12) mostly by Paige Bueckers. Stanford will be loaded in the front court and have a 6-7 McDonald's AA coming in.
SFCALBear72
UConn was already in the Final Four before playing Stanford.

Their win over Stanford put them into the Championship Game against South Carolina on Sunday.
stu
I thought the big difference was Stanford missed most of their threes. And Lexie Hull had a horrible shooting night, 2 of 12 and missed both free throws.
GATC
stu said:

I thought the big difference was Stanford missed most of their threes. And Lexie Hull had a horrible shooting night, 2 of 12 and missed both free throws.

Pretty amazing that they only had 10 assists, got rebounded by 11, shot 17% on 3's and wasn't blown out. I only watched the 2nd half but their offense (other than getting it into Brink) was ineffective. I guess you have to give credit to UConn's defense I'll bet that if Calbear80 saw the game he'll say fire the coach.
Schroeder71
I knew they were in the final four and were playing to face South Carolina. I don't know why I didn't say championship game. I watched the entire game. As I get older, I going to have to hire a proofreader before I post.

In my NCAA Women's CBS Bracket, I had three of the final four correct except for Louisville. I picked Oregon. I had UConn defeating Stanford and winning the national championship over South Carolina.
HoopDreams
I watched different parts of the game and was surprised for the low scoring Q1 considering both are top offenses. Refs weren't calling the physical defense.

At half Stanford had terrible stats from the three. The sisters were 3-16.

then near the end, there were several times I said "game over" but different Stanford players made huge plays, including two desperation threes (they were 4-23 for the game, including those 2 threes in the last minute)

But UConn won for two reasons. There was a late rebound where the UConn player and Jones. They called a foul on Brink but I thought there were equal contact and should have been a no call. The 2nd reason was UConn hit their last 8 FTs in crunch time. If they even missed one of them, it would have been a one possession game

Paige had a good game, but not a super star game. But I'm sure she wanted this one as she lost to Stanford in last year's tournament after playing poorly

Stanford's two best players, Jones and Brink return next year so they will again be the favored Pac12 team
wvitbear
I thought Stanford was out coached. Brink should have had a field day. Instead that kept hoisting from 3 point land. The NC State big woman wore UConn out. Brink could have too if they had gone to her more often. As good as Jones is, she is not a shooter.
bearister

Oh, what? This is the Women's Basketball Board…..
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
stu said:

You are right. While UConn played good defense, this was one of the worst offensive efforts by Furd in while. Tara basically lambasted her players in the half time interview, suggesting the decide to move, pass, shoot, and do everything else a lot better. I was really impressed with some of the individual play and athleticism on display. Buekers and Jones everyone knows about, but Nelson-Ododa impressed with her physical and athletic defense and rebounding against a large Furd front line, and Furd's Brink is a total stud. Lot of Furd's scoring was Jones and Brink going 1 on 1.

I guess the Hull twins graduate, but Furd still seems loaded with talent.
DiabloWags
Huskies were getting dominated on the boards in the first half. They were down by 18. Getting BLOWN OFF the court.

UCONN finally hit their first 3.
Didnt happen till Q3.

Huskies on a 10 - 0 run

43 - 37 Gamecocks

1:18 in Q3

DiabloWags
Its Over.

South Carolina +21 on the boards.

18 to 2 on offensive glass.
stu
Best turnover of the year: A SC player passes to the sideline toward a teammate jogging to the scorers' table to check in.
ClayK
Hey, she was definitely open. No defender within 10 feet of her.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.