Fatou Samb

2,525 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Schroeder71
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCALBear72
Is this an acknowledgement that her playing time may decrease next season?

With the return of Jadyn Bush and hopefully Sela Heide plus the late season emergence of Michelle Onyiah, Fatou could see that her playing time would be limited. Plus, the return of Karisma Ortiz and Amaya Bonner in the rotation.

Maybe the addition of transfers????
annarborbear
Not sure she fit our system with her lack of speed. But the fact is that 50% of our top-ranked recruiting class of two years ago have now left.
ClayK
I think Samb was vastly overrated by the recruiting services, which focus a lot on potential and athleticism, and not so much on skill and production.

If I were recruiting, I would look for players from winning club and high school programs, because those players face pressure to perform and must be productive.

Of course, everyone's after those players so programs like Cal have to roll the dice on kids with potential who haven't produced or kids who produce but don't appear to be athletic or tall enough to perform at the P5 level.
CalWSportsFan
Seems like nearly every team out there has had multiple players enter the transfer portal....
LegoBear
Yeah it's clear that almost every team is going to see waves of transfers. Maybe the new norm? Or will it settle down? Interesting to see more "stable" programs like OSU and Oregon also seeing the same this year.

That said I think we have to question Charmin's recruiting, only one real hit in Curry so far.

She needs to find some help in the portal, can't keep on fielding young inexperienced team if she wants to get out from the cellar.
stu
To me it looked like Fatou had good size and some offensive skills around the basket but not enough quickness or other skills to be effective in the Pac-12. I hope she finds a better situation.
HoopDreams
this is bad news for the team

Fatou was part of the top signing class, that included four top 100 bigs.

I've always thought it's tougher to find quality bigs than guards.

Now our top big is transferring out plus our most skilled back to the basket big in Fatou. She wasn't a strong defender or rebounder, but again, quality bigs are hard to recruit.

Both Daniels and Samb would have been juniors where many bigs start to really make an impact as they grow into their body, get stronger, and improve their skills and hoops IQ.

The other problem is we were entering a season where we could have been an experienced team, unlike the last two years. A key for Cal is to have a veteran team since we don't yet have the talent of the top of the conference.

I've always given Charmin a free pass on her first year, and still do. Part of that is she was able to keep the team intact. But the team needed to trend up this year, and although they greatly improved, their conference results were the same. This was tough on the players, and key players transferring out will hurt the team confidence and narrative more

We have a legit star in Curry, 3 senior vets in Leilani, Jazzy and Eveline + two grad transfer vets, and some young talent. We need to sign some impact transfers ... one or two of which is hopefully a quality big. Our injured players need to come back strong.

This upcoming season is critical for the success of the program.

SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

Now our top big is transferring out plus our most skilled back to the basket big in Fatou. She wasn't a strong defender or rebounder, but again, quality bigs are hard to recruit.

Both Daniels and Samb would have been juniors where many bigs start to really make an impact as they grow into their body, get stronger, and improve their skills and hoops IQ.

The other problem is we were entering a season where we could have been an experienced team, unlike the last two years. A key for Cal is to have a veteran team since we don't yet have the talent of the top of the conference.

I've always given Charmin a free pass on her first year, and still do. Part of that is she was able to keep the team intact. But the team needed to trend up this year, and although they greatly improved, their conference results were the same. This was tough on the players, and key players transferring out will hurt the team confidence and narrative more

We have a legit star in Curry, 3 senior vets in Leilani, Jazzy and Eveline + two grad transfer vets, and some young talent. We need to sign some impact transfers ... one or two of which is hopefully a quality big. Our injured players need to come back strong.

I'm going to the team banquet on Tuesday evening. It will be interesting to see what the mood in the room will be among players and coaches.

On that note, Charmin posted a video on Instagram from a team BBQ on Saturday which seemed very fun and lighthearted and included a "dance battle" between Jazzy and Coach Paul Reed. So, maybe things are not so dire after all.
Schroeder71
It's too bad that Fatou Samb is departing but she lacked the athleticism and footspeed to be effective in the P12.

The commentary that everyone has players entering the transfer portal may be accurate. However, for most schools, the process is two-way with transfers coming and going. The teams that are power houses or at least established .500 teams generally are able to entice incoming transfers, too. The bottom dwellers that possess losing records consistently have difficulty attracting incoming transfers that can balance the scales. It really comes down to quality, "difference-makers" to maintain program stability.

Cal's situation is precarious with three departing and nobody of significance coming in. Besides freeing up scholarship slots, there is nothing good about the current situation. As someone stated above, the Cal program
has been using its youth as an excuse for losing but with an expectation that the results will improve materially in the next year or two. Dalayah Daniels was a significant loss because she was part of four "big" rotation. Hopefully the Harvard transfer (Bush) will be healthy for the upcoming season as well as Sela Heide (6-7).

Hopefully-this is the end of the outbound transfers. Fingers crossed. GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

It's too bad that Fatou Samb is departing but she lacked the athleticism and footspeed to be effective in the P12.

The commentary that everyone has players entering the transfer portal may be accurate. However, for most schools, the process is two-way with transfers coming and going. The teams that are power houses or at least established .500 teams generally are able to entice incoming transfers, too. The bottom dwellers that possess losing records consistently have difficulty attracting incoming transfers that can balance the scales. It really comes down to quality, "difference-makers" to maintain program stability.

Cal's situation is precarious with three departing and nobody of significance coming in. Besides freeing up scholarship slots, there is nothing good about the current situation. As someone stated above, the Cal program
has been using its youth as an excuse for losing but with an expectation that the results will improve materially in the next year or two. Dalayah Daniels was a significant loss because she was part of four "big" rotation. Hopefully the Harvard transfer (Bush) will be healthy for the upcoming season as well as Sela Heide (6-7).

Hopefully-this is the end of the outbound transfers. Fingers crossed. GO BEARS!
Too early to come to that conclusion.
ClayK
Samb shot about as well as Onyiah and Schipholt, but on a per-minute basis, she didn't rebound as well and turned the ball over much, much more frequently. It's hard to see how she can succeed at the P5 level if she could only get 8.9 mpg for an 11-13 team.

Daniels is a much greater loss because she appears to have more potential, but as I mentioned above, there's a big difference between potential and production. Daniels is not a good shooter and not a particularly good ballhandler, which means she's an ordinary four rather than a tall three. It's possible she can continue to work on her shooting and improve in that area, which could make her into a very solid P5 player, but it's been two years and not much improvement.

As for the portal, it's just like recruiting. Cal must identify undervalued players and offer them playing time (or at least a clear path to lots of minutes). Curry shows that it can happen -- it just needs to happen more often.
wbbilluminati
SFCALBear72 said:

HoopDreams said:

I'm going to the team banquet on Tuesday evening. It will be interesting to see what the mood in the room will be among players and coaches.

On that note, Charmin posted a video on Instagram from a team BBQ on Saturday which seemed very fun and lighthearted and included a "dance battle" between Jazzy and Coach Paul Reed. So, maybe things are not so dire after all.
I'm over the dance battles, I want W's!!!
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

SFCALBear72 said:

HoopDreams said:

I'm over the dance battles, I want W's!!!
According to the calendar, there wasn't a game scheduled for this past Saturday. lol.

So, no team-bonding in the wake of three departures?
annarborbear
Let us know if MIchelle and Sela are at the banquet. Those are the players we obviously need to stay and then develop at this point.
Schroeder71
Please let us know all of the player attendees (including Jayda Curry, Karisma Ortiz & Jadyn Bush) at the banquet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.